How to disable Kgpg wizard - Suse

This is a discussion on How to disable Kgpg wizard - Suse ; Open Suse 10.0. I inadvertently clicked on the menu item Utilities | Kgpg. It started the Kgpg installation wizard. I am pretty sure that I do not want to install this, so I clicked cancel. However, ever since then, on ...

  1. How to disable Kgpg wizard

    Open Suse 10.0. I inadvertently clicked on the menu item Utilities | Kgpg.
    It started the Kgpg installation wizard. I am pretty sure that I do not
    want to install this, so I clicked cancel.

    However, ever since then, on every startup, the Kgpg wizard starts again. I
    have searched the Kgpg help, and Googled, but nothing suggests how to turn
    off this pesky wizard.

    Perhaps Harry Potter could help. Can anybody else?

    Thanks,

    Jim

  2. Re: How to disable Kgpg wizard

    JimR9 wrote:

    > Open Suse 10.0. I inadvertently clicked on the menu item Utilities |
    > Kgpg.
    > It started the Kgpg installation wizard. I am pretty sure that I do not
    > want to install this, so I clicked cancel.
    >
    > However, ever since then, on every startup, the Kgpg wizard starts again.
    > I have searched the Kgpg help, and Googled, but nothing suggests how to
    > turn off this pesky wizard.
    >
    > Perhaps Harry Potter could help. Can anybody else?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Jim

    Use ksysguard to find the process and highlight it, then click on 'kill'

  3. Re: How to disable Kgpg wizard

    JimR9 wrote:

    > However, ever since then, on every startup, the Kgpg wizard starts again.
    > I have searched the Kgpg help, and Googled, but nothing suggests how to
    > turn off this pesky wizard.

    I haven't used Kgpg, but I had something very similar with KBluetooth always
    starting a tray icon on a recent install of 10.2 (using KDE).
    There was a startup file in /opt/kde3/share/autostart that was responsibe.

    Perhaps something similar in your case?
    --
    Don

  4. Re: How to disable Kgpg wizard

    Don Raboud wrote:

    > JimR9 wrote:
    >
    >> However, ever since then, on every startup, the Kgpg wizard starts again.
    >> I have searched the Kgpg help, and Googled, but nothing suggests how to
    >> turn off this pesky wizard.

    > I haven't used Kgpg, but I had something very similar with KBluetooth
    > always starting a tray icon on a recent install of 10.2 (using KDE).
    > There was a startup file in /opt/kde3/share/autostart that was responsibe.
    >
    > Perhaps something similar in your case?

    I too see this happening. I removed the file you suggested after making
    sure the process wasn't running, yet the startup wizard reappeared. So I
    took the easy way out and configure it ! It's generating my key pair now.
    After all, why install this wonderful tool and not use it ?

    So it was easier to do the right thing than to disable it.
    P.S. Easy set up and you don't have to use it afterwards. I should use it
    for the few programs that store passwords in a not too secure way..

    Though I'm pretty sure there is a way to either disable this wizard or
    uninstall if you're that serious about it.

  5. Re: How to disable Kgpg wizard

    Michael Soibelman wrote:
    >Don Raboud wrote:

    >> JimR9 wrote:
    >>
    >>> However, ever since then, on every startup, the Kgpg wizard starts again.
    >>> I have searched the Kgpg help, and Googled, but nothing suggests how to
    >>> turn off this pesky wizard.

    >> I haven't used Kgpg, but I had something very similar with KBluetooth
    >> always starting a tray icon on a recent install of 10.2 (using KDE).
    >> There was a startup file in /opt/kde3/share/autostart that was responsibe.
    >>
    >> Perhaps something similar in your case?

    >I too see this happening. I removed the file you suggested after making
    >sure the process wasn't running, yet the startup wizard reappeared. So I
    >took the easy way out and configure it ! It's generating my key pair now.
    >After all, why install this wonderful tool and not use it ?

    >So it was easier to do the right thing than to disable it.
    >P.S. Easy set up and you don't have to use it afterwards. I should use it
    >for the few programs that store passwords in a not too secure way..

    >Though I'm pretty sure there is a way to either disable this wizard or
    >uninstall if you're that serious about it.

    Inflicting unwanted icons and unwanted services is a feature
    of the operating system whose name shall not be mentioned.

    NO linux system should ever do that. If I can't configure it
    and control it, I don't want it.

    --
    --- Paul J. Gans

  6. Re: How to disable Kgpg wizard

    On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 19:10:02 -0400, JimR9 wrote:

    > Open Suse 10.0. I inadvertently clicked on the menu item Utilities |
    > Kgpg. It started the Kgpg installation wizard. I am pretty sure that I do
    > not want to install this, so I clicked cancel.
    >
    > However, ever since then, on every startup, the Kgpg wizard starts again.
    > I have searched the Kgpg help, and Googled, but nothing suggests how to
    > turn off this pesky wizard.

    I assume you are talkin about the kpgp lock show in the task bar. Click
    on it and the key management screen will open. The select Tools/Kpgp
    Management. Select Misc, and you will see a check box for Start Kpgp
    automatically at login. Uncheck it. Click OK and it should not come up
    at the next startup.

    > Perhaps Harry Potter could help. Can anybody else?

    Or you could point your mouse at the screen and say "Avada kadavra"

    > Thanks,
    >
    > Jim

+ Reply to Thread