File comparasion. - Suse

This is a discussion on File comparasion. - Suse ; This is not a SuSE question, but a general Linux question. I have two bookmark files. Let's call them file A and file B. I want to compare the two files and import all bookmarks from file B, which are ...

  1. File comparasion.

    This is not a SuSE question, but a general Linux question.

    I have two bookmark files.
    Let's call them file A and file B.
    I want to compare the two files and import all bookmarks from file B, which
    are not in file A, into file A.

    How do I do that from a command line ?

    Thanks
    Henk

  2. Re: File comparasion.

    The carbonbased lifeform Henk Oegema inspired alt.os.linux.suse with:
    > This is not a SuSE question, but a general Linux question.
    >
    > I have two bookmark files.
    > Let's call them file A and file B.
    > I want to compare the two files and import all bookmarks from file B, which
    > are not in file A, into file A.
    >
    > How do I do that from a command line ?

    diff A B >patch.txt
    patch A
    Theo
    --
    theo at van-werkhoven.nl ICQ:277217131 SuSE Linux
    linuxcounter.org: 99872 Jabber:muadib at jabber.xs4all.nl AMD XP3000+ 1024MB

  3. Re: File comparasion.

    Theo v. Werkhoven wrote:

    > The carbonbased lifeform Henk Oegema inspired alt.os.linux.suse with:
    >> This is not a SuSE question, but a general Linux question.
    >>
    >> I have two bookmark files.
    >> Let's call them file A and file B.
    >> I want to compare the two files and import all bookmarks from file B,
    >> which are not in file A, into file A.
    >>
    >> How do I do that from a command line ?

    > diff A B >patch.txt
    > patch A
    That simple ? :-)
    Bedankt Theo

  4. Re: File comparasion.

    On 2007-09-10 07:49, Henk Oegema wrote:
    > Theo v. Werkhoven wrote:
    >
    >> The carbonbased lifeform Henk Oegema inspired alt.os.linux.suse with:
    >>> This is not a SuSE question, but a general Linux question.
    >>>
    >>> I have two bookmark files.
    >>> Let's call them file A and file B.
    >>> I want to compare the two files and import all bookmarks from file B,
    >>> which are not in file A, into file A.
    >>>
    >>> How do I do that from a command line ?

    >> diff A B >patch.txt
    >> patch A
    > That simple ? :-)
    > Bedankt Theo

    This will make A identical to B

    with textfiles you can do cat A B | sort -u > C
    but if your bookmarks is html, that don't work either

    What I do is just import B from the browser.

    /bb

  5. Re: File comparasion.

    Henk Oegema wrote:
    > This is not a SuSE question, but a general Linux question.
    >
    > I have two bookmark files.
    > Let's call them file A and file B.
    > I want to compare the two files and import all bookmarks from file B, which
    > are not in file A, into file A.
    >
    > How do I do that from a command line ?

    If you use Firefox the simplest way is to use:
    http://www.google.com/tools/firefox/browsersync/

    That will keep all your bookmarks (and more if you like) synced wherever
    you log in. I started using it a few months ago and I just couldn't cope
    without it anymore

    Vahis
    --
    "Only wimps use tape backup: _real_ men just upload their important
    stuff on ftp, and let the rest of the world mirror it "