Poll: What Linux distribution would you most like to see supportedon a ThinkPad? - Suse

This is a discussion on Poll: What Linux distribution would you most like to see supportedon a ThinkPad? - Suse ; Lenovo is going to ship another Linux distribution, help make it openSUSE! Vote for openSUSE!: http://lenovoblogs.com/insidethebox/?p=98...

  1. Poll: What Linux distribution would you most like to see supportedon a ThinkPad?

    Lenovo is going to ship another Linux distribution, help make it openSUSE!

    Vote for openSUSE!: http://lenovoblogs.com/insidethebox/?p=98

  2. Re: Poll: What Linux distribution would you most like to see supported on a ThinkPad?

    Peter wrote:
    > Lenovo is going to ship another Linux distribution, help make it openSUSE!
    >
    > Vote for openSUSE!: http://lenovoblogs.com/insidethebox/?p=98

    One can not even vote for openSUSE, just SUSE. Bit strange, because one
    can vote for Fedora and RedHat. Also this kind of reasearches realy
    counts how popular a distribution is and if it is a democratic decision
    you want, include Windows and as most people will vote for that, that is
    what you endup with.

    What one should do is turn it into a businesscase and let people first
    decide on what they would like to have (how unreasonable that might be)
    then give points to each of those features and the look what
    OS/Distribution comes closest to that.

    Also why stop at one distribution? There is a reason that there are so
    many distributions.

    houghi
    --
    ________________________ Open your eyes, open your mind
    | proud like a god don't pretend to be blind
    | trapped in yourself, break out instead
    http://openSUSE.org | beat the machine that works in your head

  3. Re: Poll: What Linux distribution would you most like to see supportedon a ThinkPad?

    houghi wrote:
    > Peter wrote:
    >> Lenovo is going to ship another Linux distribution, help make it openSUSE!
    >>
    >> Vote for openSUSE!: http://lenovoblogs.com/insidethebox/?p=98

    > One can not even vote for openSUSE, just SUSE. Bit strange, because one
    > can vote for Fedora and RedHat.

    Well, they have SLED and Suse (I am guessing it means openSuse!).
    But why don't you write something about it on the blog?

    I found this post on the Ubuntu forums and just changed the distro of
    choice in the post above. If you don't vote, you lose (figuratively
    speaking)!

    > Also why stop at one distribution? There is a reason that there are so
    > many distributions.

    You have the option to vote for the following:
    #Anyone that refuses to carry binary-only drivers, so that all others
    will also benefit, as it will require documented hardware.

    > houghi

    My comment below is awaiting moderator approval:

    # Peter Says: Your comment is awaiting moderation.
    September 8th, 2007

    OpenSuse, IMO, would make the best choice for an enthusiast Linux
    distro. It has great configuration tools and the best power management
    for notebooks ("laptops") of all the major non-commercial distros (I
    have tried all of them). It should also be your natural choice since you
    will be already implementing hardware support for SLED, which is based
    on openSuse.

    --------------

    Cheers,

    Peter

  4. Re: Poll: What Linux distribution would you most like to see supported on a ThinkPad?

    Peter wrote:
    > Well, they have SLED and Suse (I am guessing it means openSuse!).
    > But why don't you write something about it on the blog?

    Because do not feel like it. :-D

    > I found this post on the Ubuntu forums and just changed the distro of
    > choice in the post above. If you don't vote, you lose (figuratively
    > speaking)!

    As I do not plan on buying such a thing anytime soon, I do not see how I
    would loose. Because my choice would be openSUSE, it does not mean and
    is even highly unlikely that the majority of the people would agree.

    >> Also why stop at one distribution? There is a reason that there are so
    >> many distributions.

    > You have the option to vote for the following:
    > #Anyone that refuses to carry binary-only drivers, so that all others
    > will also benefit, as it will require documented hardware.

    That still sees as if it says: Any distribution. I would like it to say
    'Any distribution', as in plural as in when you boot the first time it
    asks you what OS you would like to install (including Windows)

    > OpenSuse, IMO, would make the best choice for an enthusiast Linux
    > distro. It has great configuration tools and the best power management
    > for notebooks ("laptops") of all the major non-commercial distros (I
    > have tried all of them). It should also be your natural choice since you
    > will be already implementing hardware support for SLED, which is based
    > on openSuse.

    Great. Couldn't say it any better (exept I would spell it correctly and
    say openSUSE. ;-) No need fr a ME TOO posting. Uxsents everlasting
    september is over, after all. :-D

    houghi
    --
    ________________________ Open your eyes, open your mind
    | proud like a god don't pretend to be blind
    | trapped in yourself, break out instead
    http://openSUSE.org | beat the machine that works in your head

  5. Re: Poll: What Linux distribution would you most like to see supported on a ThinkPad?

    Peter wrote:
    >Lenovo is going to ship another Linux distribution, help make it openSUSE!

    >Vote for openSUSE!: http://lenovoblogs.com/insidethebox/?p=98

    It is going to be interesting. I have a Lenovo T61. The
    screen, the audio, and the wireless are not supported out
    of the box. And I don't think there are open source fixes
    for them.

    That said, there are proprietary ones for the
    screen and wireless at least. I've not tried to
    get the audio working the machine is dual boot
    and I use Windows if I want to listen to something.

    --
    Paul J. Gans

  6. Re: Poll: What Linux distribution would you most like to see supported on a ThinkPad?

    On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 09:29:51 +0000, Peter wrote:

    > Lenovo is going to ship another Linux distribution, help make it openSUSE!
    >
    > Vote for openSUSE!: http://lenovoblogs.com/insidethebox/?p=98

    I've never had any difficulty with any Linux distro on an IBM (now lenovo)
    laptop - so what difference does it make?

  7. Re: Poll: What Linux distribution would you most like to see supported on a ThinkPad?

    On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 09:29:51 +0000, Peter wrote:

    > Lenovo is going to ship another Linux distribution, help make it openSUSE!
    >
    > Vote for openSUSE!: http://lenovoblogs.com/insidethebox/?p=98

    Looks like rather tough sledding (pun intended) When I visited I noted:

    Ubuntu: 799
    Debian: 253
    Suse: 40

    the rest, lost in the noise.

  8. Re: Poll: What Linux distribution would you most like to see supportedon a ThinkPad?

    ray wrote:
    > On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 09:29:51 +0000, Peter wrote:
    >
    >> Lenovo is going to ship another Linux distribution, help make it openSUSE!
    >>
    >> Vote for openSUSE!: http://lenovoblogs.com/insidethebox/?p=98

    > Looks like rather tough sledding (pun intended) When I visited I noted:
    >
    > Ubuntu: 799
    > Debian: 253
    > Suse: 40
    >
    > the rest, lost in the noise.

    It seems to me that Ubuntu, and some other distro, fans are turning this
    poll into a show of "popularity strength". But, having followed the
    recent desktoplinux.com "2007 Desktop Linux Survey results",
    [ http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS8454912761.html ] I know openSUSE
    can also play the game well! :-)

    What Linux distribution would you most like to see supported on a ThinkPad?
    # SUSE
    143 - 4% of all votes
    # SLED
    19 - 0% of all votes
    # Debian
    418 - 10% of all votes
    # Red Hat
    59 - 1% of all votes
    # Ubuntu
    2684 - 67% of all votes
    # FreeBSD
    75 - 2% of all votes
    # 1
    7 - 0% of all votes
    # Anyone that refuses to carry binary-only drivers, so that all others
    will also benefit, as it will require documented hardware1
    270 - 7% of all votes
    # 1
    6 - 0% of all votes
    # Fedora1
    165 - 4% of all votes
    # Slackware1
    36 - 1% of all votes
    # Gentoo1
    103 - 3% of all votes
    # archlinux1
    19 - 0% of all votes
    # PCLinuxOS1
    26 - 1% of all votes
    # Mandriva1
    3 - 0% of all votes
    Total Votes: 4033

    Started: September 4, 2007

    1 = Added by a guest

    It has also made the frontpage of digg.com:
    http://digg.com/all

  9. Re: Poll: What Linux distribution would you most like to see supported on a ThinkPad?

    On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 02:39:49 +0000, Peter wrote:

    > ray wrote:
    >> On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 09:29:51 +0000, Peter wrote:
    >>
    >>> Lenovo is going to ship another Linux distribution, help make it openSUSE!
    >>>
    >>> Vote for openSUSE!: http://lenovoblogs.com/insidethebox/?p=98

    >> Looks like rather tough sledding (pun intended) When I visited I noted:
    >>
    >> Ubuntu: 799
    >> Debian: 253
    >> Suse: 40
    >>
    >> the rest, lost in the noise.

    > It seems to me that Ubuntu, and some other distro, fans are turning this
    > poll into a show of "popularity strength". But, having followed the
    > recent desktoplinux.com "2007 Desktop Linux Survey results",
    > [ http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS8454912761.html ] I know openSUSE
    > can also play the game well! :-)

    Possibly. I've always found it 'challenging' to st up the proper
    repositories - it seems that should be easier and with a reasonable
    default.

    > What Linux distribution would you most like to see supported on a ThinkPad?
    > # SUSE
    > 143 - 4% of all votes
    > # SLED
    > 19 - 0% of all votes
    > # Debian
    > 418 - 10% of all votes
    > # Red Hat
    > 59 - 1% of all votes
    > # Ubuntu
    > 2684 - 67% of all votes
    > # FreeBSD
    > 75 - 2% of all votes
    > # 1
    > 7 - 0% of all votes
    > # Anyone that refuses to carry binary-only drivers, so that all others
    > will also benefit, as it will require documented hardware1
    > 270 - 7% of all votes
    > # 1
    > 6 - 0% of all votes
    > # Fedora1
    > 165 - 4% of all votes
    > # Slackware1
    > 36 - 1% of all votes
    > # Gentoo1
    > 103 - 3% of all votes
    > # archlinux1
    > 19 - 0% of all votes
    > # PCLinuxOS1
    > 26 - 1% of all votes
    > # Mandriva1
    > 3 - 0% of all votes
    > Total Votes: 4033
    >
    > Started: September 4, 2007
    >
    > 1 = Added by a guest
    >
    > It has also made the frontpage of digg.com:
    > http://digg.com/all

  10. Re: Poll: What Linux distribution would you most like to see supported on a ThinkPad?

    ray wrote:
    >On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 02:39:49 +0000, Peter wrote:

    >> ray wrote:

    >>> Looks like rather tough sledding (pun intended) When I visited I noted:
    >>>
    >>> Ubuntu: 799
    >>> Debian: 253
    >>> Suse: 40
    >>>
    >>> the rest, lost in the noise.

    >> It seems to me that Ubuntu, and some other distro, fans are turning this
    >> poll into a show of "popularity strength". But, having followed the
    >> recent desktoplinux.com "2007 Desktop Linux Survey results",
    >> [ http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS8454912761.html ] I know openSUSE
    >> can also play the game well! :-)

    >Possibly. I've always found it 'challenging' to st up the proper
    >repositories - it seems that should be easier and with a reasonable
    >default.

    The system should give you a choice (with annotation) of
    a number of repositories as an option in the appropriate
    YaST entry.

    --
    --- Paul J. Gans

+ Reply to Thread