Netscape 9 (newbie question) - Suse

This is a discussion on Netscape 9 (newbie question) - Suse ; I am running SLED 10 on an HP dv6433 laptop. I have downloaded the Netscape 9 tar.gz file but I'm not sure how to install it. How do I make it the default browser and have it show up under ...

  1. Netscape 9 (newbie question)

    I am running SLED 10 on an HP dv6433 laptop. I have downloaded the
    Netscape 9 tar.gz file but I'm not sure how to install it. How do I make
    it the default browser and have it show up under the "Computer" menu in
    place of Firefox?

  2. Re: Netscape 9 (newbie question)

    Titus Pullo wrote:

    > I am running SLED 10 on an HP dv6433 laptop. I have downloaded the
    > Netscape 9 tar.gz file but I'm not sure how to install it. How do I make
    > it the default browser and have it show up under the "Computer" menu in
    > place of Firefox?

    hi,

    untar with untar zxvf xxxxxx
    cd to netscape dir
    type ./configure
    type make
    type as root make install

    I think when you run nescape the first time it will ask for defazult
    browser.

    Good luck, but am not sure why you want to use netscape instead of firefox.
    But well...........it's your choice :-)

    Gert

  3. Re: Netscape 9 (newbie question)

    On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 14:39:20 +0200, Gert wrote:

    > Titus Pullo wrote:
    >
    >> I am running SLED 10 on an HP dv6433 laptop. I have downloaded the
    >> Netscape 9 tar.gz file but I'm not sure how to install it. How do I make
    >> it the default browser and have it show up under the "Computer" menu in
    >> place of Firefox?

    > hi,
    >
    > untar with untar zxvf xxxxxx
    > cd to netscape dir
    > type ./configure
    > type make
    > type as root make install
    >
    > I think when you run nescape the first time it will ask for defazult
    > browser.
    >
    > Good luck, but am not sure why you want to use netscape instead of firefox.
    > But well...........it's your choice :-)
    >
    > Gert

    When I type "untar zxvf netscape-navigator-9.0b3.tar.gz" as su the
    terminal comes back with "command not found"

    As to why I choose Netscape...sentimental reasons. I can remember being on
    the internet in 1995. Brings back memories of the old days.

  4. Re: Netscape 9 (newbie question)

    Titus Pullo wrote:
    > On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 14:39:20 +0200, Gert wrote:
    >
    >> Titus Pullo wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am running SLED 10 on an HP dv6433 laptop. I have downloaded the
    >>> Netscape 9 tar.gz file but I'm not sure how to install it. How do I make
    >>> it the default browser and have it show up under the "Computer" menu in
    >>> place of Firefox?

    >> hi,
    >>
    >> untar with untar zxvf xxxxxx
    >> cd to netscape dir
    >> type ./configure
    >> type make
    >> type as root make install
    >>
    >> I think when you run nescape the first time it will ask for defazult
    >> browser.
    >>
    >> Good luck, but am not sure why you want to use netscape instead of firefox.
    >> But well...........it's your choice :-)
    >>
    >> Gert

    > When I type "untar zxvf netscape-navigator-9.0b3.tar.gz" as su the
    > terminal comes back with "command not found"
    >
    > As to why I choose Netscape...sentimental reasons. I can remember being on
    > the internet in 1995. Brings back memories of the old days.

    Could it be 'tar zxvf ....'?

  5. Re: Netscape 9 (newbie question)

    Jethro wrote:

    >> When I type "untar zxvf netscape-navigator-9.0b3.tar.gz" as su the
    >> terminal comes back with "command not found"
    >>
    >> As to why I choose Netscape...sentimental reasons. I can remember being
    >> on the internet in 1995. Brings back memories of the old days.

    I guess that only netscape name is the same.
    It uses ,mozilla/navigator for the settings, then
    browser.startup.homepage=http://en-US.start.mozilla.com/firefox?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-USfficial
    Hmm, isn't that firefox!?

    > Could it be 'tar zxvf ....'?

    http://browser.netscape.com/releasenotes/#install
    "Linux
    To install Navigator on Linux, extract the archive you downloaded and
    run ./netscape/navigator from a terminal. (This will execute the browser;
    there are no formal installation instructions available for Linux.)"

    You should be in directory where netscape archive file is located.
    tar -zx -f netscape-navigator-9.0b3.tar.gz
    It will create subdirectory 'netscape' in directory where .tar.gz was
    located.

    --
    Regards,
    Rajko.

  6. Re: Netscape 9 (newbie question)

    Titus Pullo wrote:

    > On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 14:39:20 +0200, Gert wrote:
    >
    >> Titus Pullo wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am running SLED 10 on an HP dv6433 laptop. I have downloaded the
    >>> Netscape 9 tar.gz file but I'm not sure how to install it. How do I make
    >>> it the default browser and have it show up under the "Computer" menu in
    >>> place of Firefox?

    >> hi,
    >>
    >> untar with untar zxvf xxxxxx
    >> cd to netscape dir
    >> type ./configure
    >> type make
    >> type as root make install
    >>
    >> I think when you run nescape the first time it will ask for defazult
    >> browser.
    >>
    >> Good luck, but am not sure why you want to use netscape instead of
    >> firefox. But well...........it's your choice :-)
    >>
    >> Gert

    > When I type "untar zxvf netscape-navigator-9.0b3.tar.gz" as su the
    > terminal comes back with "command not found"
    >
    > As to why I choose Netscape...sentimental reasons. I can remember being on
    > the internet in 1995. Brings back memories of the old days.

    I just use tar NOT untar. Also if you look at the instuction given the only
    part you run as root (su) is make install.
    --
    Russ
    Registered Linux user #441463

  7. Re: Netscape 9 (newbie question)

    Titus Pullo wrote:
    > On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 14:39:20 +0200, Gert wrote:
    >
    >> Titus Pullo wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am running SLED 10 on an HP dv6433 laptop. I have downloaded the
    >>> Netscape 9 tar.gz file but I'm not sure how to install it. How do I make
    >>> it the default browser and have it show up under the "Computer" menu in
    >>> place of Firefox?

    >> hi,
    >>
    >> untar with untar zxvf xxxxxx
    >> cd to netscape dir
    >> type ./configure
    >> type make
    >> type as root make install
    >>
    >> I think when you run nescape the first time it will ask for defazult
    >> browser.
    >>
    >> Good luck, but am not sure why you want to use netscape instead of firefox.
    >> But well...........it's your choice :-)
    >>
    >> Gert

    > When I type "untar zxvf netscape-navigator-9.0b3.tar.gz" as su the
    > terminal comes back with "command not found"
    >
    > As to why I choose Netscape...sentimental reasons. I can remember being on
    > the internet in 1995. Brings back memories of the old days.

    Sea Monkey looks like the old Mozilla Suite, which was kinda "beta"
    Netscape. Sea Monkey is there on the openSUSE disks.

  8. Re: Netscape 9 (newbie question)

    russbucket wrote:

    > Titus Pullo wrote:

    >> When I type "untar zxvf netscape-navigator-9.0b3.tar.gz" as su the
    >> terminal comes back with "command not found"
    >>
    >> As to why I choose Netscape...sentimental reasons. I can remember being
    >> on the internet in 1995. Brings back memories of the old days.

    > I just use tar NOT untar. Also if you look at the instuction given the
    > only part you run as root (su) is make install.

    What 'make install' Russ?

    It is the same thing as Firefox tar.gz archive from Mozilla download site.
    Everything is ready to go, just unpack and run

    --
    Regards,
    Rajko.

+ Reply to Thread