Re: The great linux saviour "Palm Foleo" - knifed and killed by Palm - Suse

This is a discussion on Re: The great linux saviour "Palm Foleo" - knifed and killed by Palm - Suse ; dont.pullout@yahoo.com wrote: > On Sep 7, 10:38 am, Peter Köhlmann > wrote: >> The racist, liar and software thief Gary Stewart (flatfish) >> nymshifted: >> >> >> >> You lately nymshifted to > You seem to be an even bigger ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 36

  1. Re: The great linux saviour "Palm Foleo" - knifed and killed by Palm

    dont.pullout@yahoo.com wrote:

    > On Sep 7, 10:38 am, Peter Köhlmann
    > wrote:
    >> The racist, liar and software thief Gary Stewart (flatfish)
    >> nymshifted:
    >>
    >> < snip flatfish droppings >
    >>
    >> You lately nymshifted to

    > You seem to be an even bigger Linux freak than Roy Schestowitz.
    > Tell me, what is it about Linux that brings out the mentally ill?

    They don't start out that way. It's a cumulative effect that arises from
    spending hours upon hours trying to figure out which distro best fits their
    needs, installing it, and then more hours upon hours attempting to make it
    work. :-)

    Seriously though ... I think yer *ALL* nuts for even giving a flying ****
    what other people use for an OS. Honestly. Why would I give a **** what
    YOU use if it suits your needs? And vice-versa.

    Having said that, I'll say this. IMO, the biggest problem Linux has, is
    that there are too many chefs creating the meal. I believe that until the
    community can get together, decide on a head chef, and let him/her pick the
    sous chefs, it will never be any more popular (around 2%?) an OS for the
    *casual* *user* then it is right now. (Note: casual user.)

    I really don't understand what it is with these Linux OS people. Because I
    really THINK they COULD do it, if they set their egos aside, banded
    together, and created ONE all-encompasing operating system. *THEN* they
    might actually be able to compete.

    But unless/until that happens ... I doubt Linux will ever be any more of an
    OS than it is to this day.

    Right now, the whole Linux community seems to me as though it's not much
    more than a worldwide geek dick-swinging competition. As a result, the
    Linux "advocates" are misdirected. Instead of "advocating" AGAINST MS and
    MAC, their time might be spent more wisely advocating FOR a more unified
    Linux. You know. Put their heads together and try to combine the best of
    all flavors kinda thing. Once they're satisfied they've got the best of
    Linux alled rolled into one OS ... Turn it loose and see what happens.
    Hell. I'd try it. And nothing's saying it can't still be free, and open
    source.

    Bill

  2. Re: The great linux saviour "Palm Foleo" - knifed and killed by Palm

    Respondant wrote:

    < snip idiotic rant >

  3. Re: The great linux saviour "Palm Foleo" - knifed and killed by Palm

    > Win XP (SP2) home.
    > Firewall on.
    > Avast (free) AV installed and up to date.
    >
    > The machine I'm posting this from has been up, online 24/7, and problem free
    > for 1 year-2 months-3 days-and 18 hours, which I believe may be a record for
    > both Comcast AND my electric company as well. :-) I'd say that's a fair
    > amount of continuous up-time without a hitch, wouldn't you?

    Don't do updates?

  4. Re: The great linux saviour "Palm Foleo" - knifed and killed by Palm

    Respondant wrote:

    >I really don't understand what it is with these Linux OS people. Because I
    >really THINK they COULD do it, if they set their egos aside, banded
    >together, and created ONE all-encompasing operating system. *THEN* they
    >might actually be able to compete.

    Proof that you're a clueless moron.

    *plonk*

  5. Re: The great linux saviour "Palm Foleo" - knifed and killed by Palm

    Respondant wrote:
    > dont.pullout@yahoo.com wrote:
    >
    >> On Sep 7, 10:38 am, Peter Köhlmann
    >> wrote:
    >>> The racist, liar and software thief Gary Stewart (flatfish)
    >>> nymshifted:
    >>>
    >>> < snip flatfish droppings >
    >>>
    >>> You lately nymshifted to

    >> You seem to be an even bigger Linux freak than Roy Schestowitz.
    >> Tell me, what is it about Linux that brings out the mentally ill?

    > They don't start out that way. It's a cumulative effect that arises from
    > spending hours upon hours trying to figure out which distro best fits their
    > needs, installing it, and then more hours upon hours attempting to make it
    > work. :-)

    Took me exactly 58 minutes to install Ubuntu, get the updates, configure
    it and load all the programs I wanted. Oops.

    --
    Alias
    To email me, remove shoes

  6. Re: The great linux saviour "Palm Foleo" - knifed and killed by Palm

    Alias wrote:

    > Respondant wrote:
    >> dont.pullout@yahoo.com wrote:

    >>> You seem to be an even bigger Linux freak than Roy Schestowitz.
    >>> Tell me, what is it about Linux that brings out the mentally ill?

    >> They don't start out that way. It's a cumulative effect that arises
    >> from spending hours upon hours trying to figure out which distro
    >> best fits their needs, installing it, and then more hours upon hours
    >> attempting to make it work. :-)

    > Took me exactly 58 minutes to install Ubuntu, get the updates,
    > configure it and load all the programs I wanted. Oops.

    You timed it?

  7. Re: The great linux saviour "Palm Foleo" - knifed and killed by Palm

    "Alias" wrote in message
    > Respondant wrote:
    >> dont.pullout@yahoo.com wrote:

    >>> You seem to be an even bigger Linux freak than Roy Schestowitz.
    >>> Tell me, what is it about Linux that brings out the mentally ill?

    >> They don't start out that way. It's a cumulative effect that arises from
    >> spending hours upon hours trying to figure out which distro best fits
    >> their needs, installing it, and then more hours upon hours attempting to
    >> make it work. :-)

    > Took me exactly 58 minutes to install Ubuntu, get the updates, configure
    > it and load all the programs I wanted. Oops.

    So it takes you 58 minutes to install it. What about the new user who does
    the install and wonders what to do next? Where are my icons? How do I set
    up a printer? How can I add a user? It's not that easy when they are new
    to the Linux family. What does .tar mean? Why do I need to type this
    cryptic junk on a command line.

    When Ubuntu/Linux is as easy to navigate and find what you're looking for,
    only then will it gain popularity.

    > --
    > Alias
    > To email me, remove shoes

  8. Re: The great linux saviour "Palm Foleo" - knifed and killed by Palm

    "Respondant" wrote in message
    news:UIidnfNH8_qkFXzbnZ2dnUVZ_gGdnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    > Alias wrote:
    >
    >> Respondant wrote:

    >>> They don't start out that way. It's a cumulative effect that arises
    >>> from spending hours upon hours trying to figure out which distro
    >>> best fits their needs, installing it, and then more hours upon hours
    >>> attempting to make it work. :-)

    >> Took me exactly 58 minutes to install Ubuntu, get the updates,
    >> configure it and load all the programs I wanted. Oops.

    > You timed it?

    Of course he did. That's his entertainment (other than posting to this
    group) :-)

  9. Re: The great linux saviour "Palm Foleo" - knifed and killed by Palm

    Respondant wrote:
    > Alias wrote:
    >
    >> Respondant wrote:

    >>> They don't start out that way. It's a cumulative effect that arises
    >>> from spending hours upon hours trying to figure out which distro
    >>> best fits their needs, installing it, and then more hours upon hours
    >>> attempting to make it work. :-)

    >> Took me exactly 58 minutes to install Ubuntu, get the updates,
    >> configure it and load all the programs I wanted. Oops.

    > You timed it?

    linux lusers are that anal.

  10. Re: The great linux saviour "Palm Foleo" - knifed and killed by Palm

    Bill Yanaire wrote:

    > "Alias" wrote in message
    >> Respondant wrote:

    >>> They don't start out that way. It's a cumulative effect that
    >>> arises from spending hours upon hours trying to figure out which
    >>> distro best fits their needs, installing it, and then more hours
    >>> upon hours attempting to make it work. :-)

    >> Took me exactly 58 minutes to install Ubuntu, get the updates,
    >> configure it and load all the programs I wanted. Oops.

    > So it takes you 58 minutes to install it. What about the new user
    > who does the install and wonders what to do next? Where are my
    > icons? How do I set up a printer? How can I add a user? It's not
    > that easy when they are new to the Linux family. What does .tar
    > mean? Why do I need to type this cryptic junk on a command line.
    >
    > When Ubuntu/Linux is as easy to navigate and find what you're looking
    > for, only then will it gain popularity.

    What cracks me up the most about these so-called Linux "advocates" is that
    they snip any constructive criticism, and go right to the offensive.

    If you go back and look at my original post in this thread, I never said
    Linux was "bad". ALL I said (in a nutshell) was that in it's current state,
    Linux is a cluster-****, and opined about how it may be improved. THAT is
    ALL I said.

    And any HONEST Linux "advocate" would HAVE to admit that much is true.

  11. Re: The great linux saviour "Palm Foleo" - knifed and killed by Palm

    Respondant wrote:
    > Alias wrote:
    >
    >> Respondant wrote:

    >>> They don't start out that way. It's a cumulative effect that arises
    >>> from spending hours upon hours trying to figure out which distro
    >>> best fits their needs, installing it, and then more hours upon hours
    >>> attempting to make it work. :-)

    >> Took me exactly 58 minutes to install Ubuntu, get the updates,
    >> configure it and load all the programs I wanted. Oops.

    > You timed it?

    Yes, I wrote down the time I started and then looked at the clock when I
    was done.

    --
    Alias
    To email me, remove shoes

  12. Re: The great linux saviour "Palm Foleo" - knifed and killed by Palm

    Bill Yanaire wrote:
    > "Respondant" wrote in message
    > news:UIidnfNH8_qkFXzbnZ2dnUVZ_gGdnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    >> Alias wrote:

    >>> Took me exactly 58 minutes to install Ubuntu, get the updates,
    >>> configure it and load all the programs I wanted. Oops.

    >> You timed it?

    > Of course he did. That's his entertainment (other than posting to this
    > group) :-)

    I didn't do it for "entertainment" but just to see how long it takes.
    Compared to Windows, it's was much, much quicker.

    --
    Alias
    To email me, remove shoes

  13. Re: The great linux saviour "Palm Foleo" - knifed and killed by Palm

    Bill Yanaire wrote:
    > "Alias" wrote in message
    >> Respondant wrote:

    >>> They don't start out that way. It's a cumulative effect that arises from
    >>> spending hours upon hours trying to figure out which distro best fits
    >>> their needs, installing it, and then more hours upon hours attempting to
    >>> make it work. :-)

    >> Took me exactly 58 minutes to install Ubuntu, get the updates, configure
    >> it and load all the programs I wanted. Oops.

    > So it takes you 58 minutes to install it. What about the new user who does
    > the install and wonders what to do next? Where are my icons? How do I set
    > up a printer? How can I add a user? It's not that easy when they are new
    > to the Linux family. What does .tar mean? Why do I need to type this
    > cryptic junk on a command line.
    >
    > When Ubuntu/Linux is as easy to navigate and find what you're looking for,
    > only then will it gain popularity.

    When I install Ubuntu for folks, I show them how to do that and more.
    Speaking of cryptic command lines, have you ever heard of DOS or CMD?

    --
    Alias
    To email me, remove shoes

  14. Re: The great linux saviour "Palm Foleo" - knifed and killed by Palm

    "Alias" wrote in message
    > Respondant wrote:
    >> Alias wrote:

    >>> Took me exactly 58 minutes to install Ubuntu, get the updates,
    >>> configure it and load all the programs I wanted. Oops.

    >> You timed it?
    >>

    > Yes, I wrote down the time I started and then looked at the clock when I
    > was done.

    Well, that was a minute or two that he couldn't make a post regarding
    Ubuntu!

    > --
    > Alias
    > To email me, remove shoes

  15. Re: The great linux saviour "Palm Foleo" - knifed and killed by Palm

    Alias wrote:

    > Respondant wrote:
    >> Alias wrote:

    >>> Took me exactly 58 minutes to install Ubuntu, get the updates,
    >>> configure it and load all the programs I wanted. Oops.

    >> You timed it?
    >>

    > Yes, I wrote down the time I started and then looked at the clock
    > when I was done.

    Why? ROFL

    Did you sit there and watch the progess bar scroll past as it was installing
    as well?

    Bill

  16. Re: The great linux saviour "Palm Foleo" - knifed and killed by Palm

    Respondant wrote:
    > Alias wrote:
    >
    >> Respondant wrote:

    >>> You timed it?
    >>>

    >> Yes, I wrote down the time I started and then looked at the clock
    >> when I was done.

    > Why? ROFL

    To see how long it took, of course.

    > Did you sit there and watch the progess bar scroll past as it was installing
    > as well?
    >
    > Bill

    No "progess" bars on any of my computers.

    --
    Alias
    To email me, remove shoes

  17. Re: The great linux saviour "Palm Foleo" - knifed and killed by Palm

    "Respondant" wrote in message
    news:aKSdnSknWv4kF3zbnZ2dnUVZ_qCgnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    > Bill Yanaire wrote:
    >
    >> "Alias" wrote in message

    >>> Took me exactly 58 minutes to install Ubuntu, get the updates,
    >>> configure it and load all the programs I wanted. Oops.

    >> So it takes you 58 minutes to install it. What about the new user
    >> who does the install and wonders what to do next? Where are my
    >> icons? How do I set up a printer? How can I add a user? It's not
    >> that easy when they are new to the Linux family. What does .tar
    >> mean? Why do I need to type this cryptic junk on a command line.
    >>
    >> When Ubuntu/Linux is as easy to navigate and find what you're looking
    >> for, only then will it gain popularity.

    > What cracks me up the most about these so-called Linux "advocates" is that
    > they snip any constructive criticism, and go right to the offensive.
    >
    > If you go back and look at my original post in this thread, I never said
    > Linux was "bad". ALL I said (in a nutshell) was that in it's current
    > state, Linux is a cluster-****, and opined about how it may be improved.
    > THAT is ALL I said.
    >
    > And any HONEST Linux "advocate" would HAVE to admit that much is true.

    I don't think Linux/Ubuntu is bad, I just think that the majority of users
    don't want the headache of trying to figure out how to use the product.
    Yes, Vista is a pain in the A$$ sometimes, but at least you can find
    something if you need to. Even when Vista was new, I could navigate much
    easier than trying to navigate around Ubuntu.

    Their Open Source Office is a joke. It is primitive compared to MS Office.
    With most of the civilized world using Office, most people want to just have
    their programs work.

  18. Re: The great linux saviour "Palm Foleo" - knifed and killed by Palm

    Alias wrote:

    > Respondant wrote:
    >> Alias wrote:

    >>> Yes, I wrote down the time I started and then looked at the clock
    >>> when I was done.

    >> Why? ROFL

    > To see how long it took, of course.

    That other dude was right. You ARE anal.

    >> Did you sit there and watch the progess bar scroll past as it was
    >> installing as well?
    >>
    >> Bill

    > No "progess" bars on any of my computers.

    Ummm. OK.

    You're a *fine* rep for the Linux community. Keep up the excellent work.

    Bill

  19. Re: The great linux saviour "Palm Foleo" - knifed and killed by Palm

    Bill Yanaire wrote:

    > "Respondant" wrote in message
    > news:aKSdnSknWv4kF3zbnZ2dnUVZ_qCgnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    >> Bill Yanaire wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Alias" wrote in message

    >>> So it takes you 58 minutes to install it. What about the new user
    >>> who does the install and wonders what to do next? Where are my
    >>> icons? How do I set up a printer? How can I add a user? It's not
    >>> that easy when they are new to the Linux family. What does .tar
    >>> mean? Why do I need to type this cryptic junk on a command line.
    >>>
    >>> When Ubuntu/Linux is as easy to navigate and find what you're
    >>> looking for, only then will it gain popularity.

    >> What cracks me up the most about these so-called Linux "advocates"
    >> is that they snip any constructive criticism, and go right to the
    >> offensive. If you go back and look at my original post in this thread, I
    >> never
    >> said Linux was "bad". ALL I said (in a nutshell) was that in it's
    >> current state, Linux is a cluster-****, and opined about how it may
    >> be improved. THAT is ALL I said.
    >>
    >> And any HONEST Linux "advocate" would HAVE to admit that much is
    >> true.

    > I don't think Linux/Ubuntu is bad,

    NEVER said it (or any other version of Linux) is.

    Now try to tell the "advocates" I didn't :-)

    > I just think that the majority of
    > users don't want the headache of trying to figure out how to use the
    > product. Yes, Vista

    Not gonna go there. Not for a while anyhow. XP (SP2) is fine just the way
    it is.

    > is a pain in the A$$ sometimes, but at least you
    > can find something if you need to. Even when Vista was new, I could
    > navigate much easier than trying to navigate around Ubuntu.
    >
    > Their Open Source Office is a joke. It is primitive compared to MS
    > Office. With most of the civilized world using Office, most people
    > want to just have their programs work.

    That's why Linux is (so far) just a hobby OS. But the "advocates" don't
    "get" that.

    And it's not they they CANNOT "get" it .... It's just that they don't seem
    to WANT to.

    Which brings me back to my, "Linux is a geek dick-swinging contest" theory.

    If they REALLY wanted Linux to grab a strong foothold in the OS market, the
    "advocates" would get together and MAKE it happen.

    But I don't think the Linux world is really into that though, despite these
    newsgroups. They all seem more intent on out-geeking each-other, rather
    than getting together and collaborating on ONE OS that can compete with
    anything MAC or MS puts out which I truly BELIEVE they could do.

    Just my Opinion.

    Bill

  20. Re: The great linux saviour "Palm Foleo" - knifed and killed by Palm

    On Sep 7, 12:30 pm, "Respondant" wrote:
    > Bill Yanaire wrote:
    > > "Alias" wrote in message

    > >> Took me exactly 58 minutes to install Ubuntu, get the updates,
    > >> configure it and load all the programs I wanted. Oops.

    > > So it takes you 58 minutes to install it. What about the new user
    > > who does the install and wonders what to do next? Where are my
    > > icons? How do I set up a printer? How can I add a user? It's not
    > > that easy when they are new to the Linux family. What does .tar
    > > mean? Why do I need to type this cryptic junk on a command line.

    > > When Ubuntu/Linux is as easy to navigate and find what you're looking
    > > for, only then will it gain popularity.

    > What cracks me up the most about these so-called Linux "advocates" is that
    > they snip any constructive criticism, and go right to the offensive.
    >
    > If you go back and look at my original post in this thread, I never said
    > Linux was "bad". ALL I said (in a nutshell) was that in it's current state,
    > Linux is a cluster-****, and opined about how it may be improved. THAT is
    > ALL I said.
    >
    > And any HONEST Linux "advocate" would HAVE to admit that much is true.

    Of course they do.
    Ever read any of the crap that passes for advocacy over in
    comp.os.linux.advocacy?
    You'll read all kinds of conspiracy theories, slams against Microsoft,
    how Apple is going bankrupt, how Linux is replacing Windows everywhere
    etc.

    And rarely will see a shred of unbiased facts to back up these points.
    One guy opver there posts 1000's of messages and uses blogs as his
    *proof*.
    It's hysterical.

    And when something Linux tanks the advocates immediately ignore
    messages saying such so that they don't drive up the google count.

    Linux is a decent system, it's the Linux advocates that need help.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast