SuSE 10.2 64-bit distro problems - Suse

This is a discussion on SuSE 10.2 64-bit distro problems - Suse ; I have installed the 64-bit version of SuSE 10.2 on one of my nice, new AMD machines. But for various reasons I still need to build and run 32-bit applications. Sadly, the 32-bit libraries that come with the distribution are ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: SuSE 10.2 64-bit distro problems

  1. SuSE 10.2 64-bit distro problems

    I have installed the 64-bit version of SuSE 10.2 on one of my nice, new
    AMD machines. But for various reasons I still need to build and run
    32-bit applications. Sadly, the 32-bit libraries that come with the
    distribution are all Intel 80386 libraries and are declared incompatible
    by the compiler.
    Rather than suffer the torment of reinstalling openGL etc etc from
    source, can anyone suggest a workaround?

  2. Re: SuSE 10.2 64-bit distro problems

    Havatcha wrote:
    > I have installed the 64-bit version of SuSE 10.2 on one of my nice, new
    > AMD machines. But for various reasons I still need to build and run
    > 32-bit applications. Sadly, the 32-bit libraries that come with the
    > distribution are all Intel 80386 libraries and are declared incompatible
    > by the compiler.
    > Rather than suffer the torment of reinstalling openGL etc etc from
    > source, can anyone suggest a workaround?


    They are not incompatible. There's no such thing as "AMD 80386". You
    just don't have them installed.

    Search for "32-bit" in Yast to see which ones you still need to install.

  3. Re: SuSE 10.2 64-bit distro problems

    On Thu, 6 Sep 2007, Havatcha wrote:-

    >I have installed the 64-bit version of SuSE 10.2 on one of my nice, new
    >AMD machines. But for various reasons I still need to build and run
    >32-bit applications. Sadly, the 32-bit libraries that come with the
    >distribution are all Intel 80386 libraries and are declared
    >incompatible by the compiler.
    >Rather than suffer the torment of reinstalling openGL etc etc from
    >source, can anyone suggest a workaround?


    Try prefixing the command with linux32. E.g.

    linux32 gcc ...

    linux32 rpmbuild -ta source.archive.tar.bz2

    Look at man linux32 for more details.


    Regards,
    David Bolt

    --
    Member of Team Acorn checking nodes at 100 Mnodes/s: www.distributed.net
    RISC OS 3.11 | SUSE 10.0 32bit | SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit
    RISC OS 3.6 | SUSE 10.0 64bit | SUSE 10.1 64bit | openSUSE 10.2 64bit
    TOS 4.02 | SUSE 9.3 32bit | | openSUSE 10.3b1 32bit

  4. Re: SuSE 10.2 64-bit distro problems


    > Try prefixing the command with linux32. E.g.
    >
    > linux32 gcc ...
    >
    > linux32 rpmbuild -ta source.archive.tar.bz2
    >
    > Look at man linux32 for more details.
    >
    >
    > Regards,
    > David Bolt
    >



    Thanks! That's a handy trick.
    Didn't solve my problem, although I now suspect that there is some other
    problem as a quick test application built using the libraries in
    question ran fine.... Back to the drawing board.

  5. Re: SuSE 10.2 64-bit distro problems

    Havatcha wrote:
    >
    >> Try prefixing the command with linux32. E.g.
    >>
    >> linux32 gcc ...
    >>
    >> linux32 rpmbuild -ta source.archive.tar.bz2
    >>
    >> Look at man linux32 for more details.
    >>
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >> David Bolt
    >>

    >
    >
    > Thanks! That's a handy trick.
    > Didn't solve my problem, although I now suspect that there is some other
    > problem as a quick test application built using the libraries in
    > question ran fine.... Back to the drawing board.


    Did you install *all* 32bit stuff? I use 10.2 x86_64 too and never
    needed linux32 (and didn't even know about it until David's post), just
    passing "-m32" to gcc and g++ always worked.

  6. Re: SuSE 10.2 64-bit distro problems

    Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
    > Havatcha wrote:
    >>
    >>> Try prefixing the command with linux32. E.g.
    >>>
    >>> linux32 gcc ...
    >>>
    >>> linux32 rpmbuild -ta source.archive.tar.bz2
    >>>
    >>> Look at man linux32 for more details.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> Regards,
    >>> David Bolt
    >>>

    >>
    >>
    >> Thanks! That's a handy trick.
    >> Didn't solve my problem, although I now suspect that there is some
    >> other problem as a quick test application built using the libraries
    >> in question ran fine.... Back to the drawing board.

    >
    > Did you install *all* 32bit stuff? I use 10.2 x86_64 too and never
    > needed linux32 (and didn't even know about it until David's post), just
    > passing "-m32" to gcc and g++ always worked.



    Yup. Turned out there was a conflict between two similar, but different
    versions of the library that were installed on the machine. Deinstalled
    a few bits and pieces, edited some paths, recompiled some stuff and
    finally got it working.

  7. Re: SuSE 10.2 64-bit distro problems

    On Sep 7, 9:58 am, Havatcha wrote:
    > Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
    > > Havatcha wrote:

    >
    > >>> Try prefixing the command with linux32. E.g.

    >
    > >>> linux32 gcc ...

    >
    > >>> linux32 rpmbuild -ta source.archive.tar.bz2

    >
    > >>> Look at man linux32 for more details.

    >
    > >>> Regards,
    > >>> David Bolt

    >
    > >> Thanks! That's a handy trick.
    > >> Didn't solve my problem, although I now suspect that there is some
    > >> other problem as a quick test application built using the libraries
    > >> in question ran fine.... Back to the drawing board.

    >
    > > Did you install *all* 32bit stuff? I use 10.2 x86_64 too and never
    > > needed linux32 (and didn't even know about it until David's post), just
    > > passing "-m32" to gcc and g++ always worked.

    >
    > Yup. Turned out there was a conflict between two similar, but different
    > versions of the library that were installed on the machine. Deinstalled
    > a few bits and pieces, edited some paths, recompiled some stuff and
    > finally got it working.


    Can you say more what you did to get this working? I think I'm having
    the same problem. Thanks.

    - Milo Martin


  8. Re: SuSE 10.2 64-bit distro problems


    "Havatcha" wrote in message
    news:fbp73i$el0$1@nntp0.reith.bbc.co.uk...
    >I have installed the 64-bit version of SuSE 10.2 on one of my nice, new AMD
    >machines. But for various reasons I still need to build and run 32-bit
    >applications. Sadly, the 32-bit libraries that come with the distribution
    >are all Intel 80386 libraries and are declared incompatible by the
    >compiler.
    > Rather than suffer the torment of reinstalling openGL etc etc from source,
    > can anyone suggest a workaround?


    I am yet to see a Linux distro (any) to work as it should. They are all
    junk!



  9. Re: SuSE 10.2 64-bit distro problems

    swen wrote:

    >
    > "Havatcha" wrote in message
    > news:fbp73i$el0$1@nntp0.reith.bbc.co.uk...
    >>I have installed the 64-bit version of SuSE 10.2 on one of my nice, new
    >>AMD machines. But for various reasons I still need to build and run 32-bit
    >>applications. Sadly, the 32-bit libraries that come with the distribution
    >>are all Intel 80386 libraries and are declared incompatible by the
    >>compiler.
    >> Rather than suffer the torment of reinstalling openGL etc etc from
    >> source, can anyone suggest a workaround?

    >
    > I am yet to see a Linux distro (any) to work as it should. They are all
    > junk!


    Why don't you simply get lost?
    You are trolling in a non-advocacy group here, you cretin
    --
    The Day Microsoft makes something that does not suck is probably
    the day they start making vacuum cleaners.


  10. Re: SuSE 10.2 64-bit distro problems

    On Sat, 8 Sep 2007, Peter Köhlmann wrote:-



    >Why don't you simply get lost?


    He did get lost.

    >You are trolling in a non-advocacy group here, you cretin


    He couldn't find his way to alt.i.can't.troll.worth.a.damn and,
    unfortunately for those with at least one fully functional brain cell,
    he ended up here instead.


    Regards,
    David Bolt

    --
    Member of Team Acorn checking nodes at 100 Mnodes/s: www.distributed.net
    RISC OS 3.11 | SUSE 10.0 32bit | SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit
    RISC OS 3.6 | SUSE 10.0 64bit | SUSE 10.1 64bit | openSUSE 10.2 64bit
    TOS 4.02 | SUSE 9.3 32bit | | openSUSE 10.3b2 32bit

  11. Re: SuSE 10.2 64-bit distro problems

    swen wrote:

    >"Havatcha" wrote in message
    >news:fbp73i$el0$1@nntp0.reith.bbc.co.uk...
    >>I have installed the 64-bit version of SuSE 10.2 on one of my nice, new AMD
    >>machines. But for various reasons I still need to build and run 32-bit
    >>applications. Sadly, the 32-bit libraries that come with the distribution
    >>are all Intel 80386 libraries and are declared incompatible by the
    >>compiler.
    >> Rather than suffer the torment of reinstalling openGL etc etc from source,
    >> can anyone suggest a workaround?


    >I am yet to see a Linux distro (any) to work as it should. They are all
    >junk!


    Switch to Vista. Have fun installing it by yourself.

    --
    --- Paul J. Gans

  12. Re: SuSE 10.2 64-bit distro problems

    Paul J Gans wrote:

    > swen wrote:
    >
    >>"Havatcha" wrote in message
    >>news:fbp73i$el0$1@nntp0.reith.bbc.co.uk...
    >>>I have installed the 64-bit version of SuSE 10.2 on one of my nice, new
    >>>AMD machines. But for various reasons I still need to build and run
    >>>32-bit applications. Sadly, the 32-bit libraries that come with the
    >>>distribution are all Intel 80386 libraries and are declared incompatible
    >>>by the compiler.
    >>> Rather than suffer the torment of reinstalling openGL etc etc from
    >>> source, can anyone suggest a workaround?

    >
    >>I am yet to see a Linux distro (any) to work as it should. They are all
    >>junk!

    >
    > Switch to Vista. Have fun installing it by yourself.
    >


    Naturally, it *has* to be the 64bit version.
    After all, this brainless twit "swen" decided to troll in a 64bit-SuSE
    thread.

    Good luck, twit, in finding drivers for half your hardware
    --
    Law of Probable Dispersal:
    Whatever it is that hits the fan will not be evenly distributed.


  13. Re: SuSE 10.2 64-bit distro problems

    milom@cis.upenn.edu wrote:
    > On Sep 7, 9:58 am, Havatcha wrote:
    >> Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
    >>> Havatcha wrote:
    >>>>> Try prefixing the command with linux32. E.g.
    >>>>> linux32 gcc ...
    >>>>> linux32 rpmbuild -ta source.archive.tar.bz2
    >>>>> Look at man linux32 for more details.
    >>>>> Regards,
    >>>>> David Bolt
    >>>> Thanks! That's a handy trick.
    >>>> Didn't solve my problem, although I now suspect that there is some
    >>>> other problem as a quick test application built using the libraries
    >>>> in question ran fine.... Back to the drawing board.
    >>> Did you install *all* 32bit stuff? I use 10.2 x86_64 too and never
    >>> needed linux32 (and didn't even know about it until David's post), just
    >>> passing "-m32" to gcc and g++ always worked.

    >> Yup. Turned out there was a conflict between two similar, but different
    >> versions of the library that were installed on the machine. Deinstalled
    >> a few bits and pieces, edited some paths, recompiled some stuff and
    >> finally got it working.

    >
    > Can you say more what you did to get this working? I think I'm having
    > the same problem. Thanks.
    >
    > - Milo Martin
    >



    OK...

    My problem was actually due to a conflict between the libraries for QT4
    and QT3 (www.trolltech.com).
    I was installing a third party software library that was detecting QT4
    and using its libraries while my code was using QT3. Since both have
    library functions in common, it was compiling correctly but failing at
    runtime. With hilarious consequences and no useful error messages.

+ Reply to Thread