Admin multiple servers with SuSE - Suse

This is a discussion on Admin multiple servers with SuSE - Suse ; Hello, We have some SuSE servers running several web apps (about 30). I'm looking for a software that help me to do changes in all servers at once, like add network routes, change crontabs, etc... I've found some apps that ...

  1. Admin multiple servers with SuSE

    Hello,

    We have some SuSE servers running several web apps (about 30). I'm
    looking for a software that help me to do changes in all servers at
    once, like add network routes, change crontabs, etc...

    I've found some apps that permits to run commands on all computers,
    but do you know someone that could manage SuSE configuration files?

    Thnks a lot,

    Andreu

  2. Re: Admin multiple servers with SuSE

    Andreu.Antonio@gmail.com wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > We have some SuSE servers running several web apps (about 30). I'm
    > looking for a software that help me to do changes in all servers at
    > once, like add network routes, change crontabs, etc...
    >
    > I've found some apps that permits to run commands on all computers,
    > but do you know someone that could manage SuSE configuration files?
    >
    > Thnks a lot,
    >
    > Andreu

    Webmin:

    http://www.webmin.com/

  3. Re: Admin multiple servers with SuSE

    But webmin is only for one server I remember, I need to do "add this
    network route to all servers" with a click or something like that

    On 6 sep, 19:28, Michael Soibelman
    wrote:
    > Andreu.Anto...@gmail.com wrote:
    > > Hello,

    > > We have some SuSE servers running several web apps (about 30). I'm
    > > looking for a software that help me to do changes in all servers at
    > > once, like add network routes, change crontabs, etc...

    > > I've found some apps that permits to run commands on all computers,
    > > but do you know someone that could manage SuSE configuration files?

    > > Thnks a lot,

    > > Andreu

    > Webmin:
    >
    > http://www.webmin.com/

  4. Re: Admin multiple servers with SuSE

    Andreu.Antonio@gmail.com wrote:

    > But webmin is only for one server I remember, I need to do "add this
    > network route to all servers" with a click or something like that
    >

    > On 6 sep, 19:28, Michael Soibelman
    > wrote:
    >> Andreu.Anto...@gmail.com wrote:
    >> > Hello,

    >> > We have some SuSE servers running several web apps (about 30). I'm
    >> > looking for a software that help me to do changes in all servers at
    >> > once, like add network routes, change crontabs, etc...

    >> > I've found some apps that permits to run commands on all computers,
    >> > but do you know someone that could manage SuSE configuration files?

    >> > Thnks a lot,

    >> > Andreu

    >> Webmin:
    >>
    >> http://www.webmin.com/

    You'll need to set up your network to allow remote administration. Ask
    someone with experience in this field as I have only two boxes on my lan
    and little experience. However, once you set it up remote access via
    webmin's 'cluster webmin servers' module should be a snap !! Others may
    suggest using SSH but webmin in conjunction with this is a good idea.

    Sorry for the lack of experience with networking but my one box with
    multiple disks is sufficient for my personal/small business needs.

  5. Re: Admin multiple servers with SuSE

    The carbonbased lifeform Andreu.Antonio@gmail.com inspired
    alt.os.linux.suse with:
    > Hello,
    >
    > We have some SuSE servers running several web apps (about 30). I'm
    > looking for a software that help me to do changes in all servers at
    > once, like add network routes, change crontabs, etc...
    >
    > I've found some apps that permits to run commands on all computers,
    > but do you know someone that could manage SuSE configuration files?

    What about an SCM software like e.g. GIT?
    This allows you you to export a directory's version across n-other
    clients, so all you really need to do is ru /sbin/yast on the servers
    where configs have changed.
    http://git.or.cz/

    Theo
    --
    theo at van-werkhoven.nl ICQ:277217131 SuSE Linux
    linuxcounter.org: 99872 Jabber:muadib at jabber.xs4all.nl AMD XP3000+ 1024MB

  6. Re: Admin multiple servers with SuSE

    On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 07:38:12 -0700, Andreu.Antonio wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > We have some SuSE servers running several web apps (about 30). I'm
    > looking for a software that help me to do changes in all servers at
    > once, like add network routes, change crontabs, etc...
    >
    > I've found some apps that permits to run commands on all computers,
    > but do you know someone that could manage SuSE configuration files?
    >
    > Thnks a lot,
    >
    > Andreu

    Take a look at cfengine

    It's designed to do exactly what you are asking for, and a lot
    more if you need it. In particular it will allow you to manage the
    configuration of all your systems from one master system. You can put
    systems into groups in order to have rules dependent on function, ie, run
    this rule on webservers only, run another rule on machines on subnet
    192_168_20 only, etc. A number of classes are automatically determined
    based on cpu type (sparc, x86), OS (redhat, suse, sunos), version
    (sunos_5_9), hostname, ip address and subnet, date and time (to allow
    weekly, daily, or one off rules). cfengine also provides dynamic classes
    which allow dependancies to be defined. For example, an edit or copy of a
    file sets a class which triggers a HUP to be sent to a service, which
    reloads the file.

    The rules that cfengine applies can be file edits, file copies from a
    central repository, shellcommands, file and directory creation, with
    owner/permission enforcing, deletion of junk files, alerting when file
    content changes, etc.

    It is somewhat tedious to set up, but once it is, it is simple to place
    new systems under cfengine control. And any new rules you add to the
    master files will take effect on the next run. Of course, you can test
    rules by using only a single hostname that will execute the rule, and
    verify that the correct operation occurs on that host, before potentially
    breaking 30 servers!

    regards,

    Frank Ranner

  7. Re: Admin multiple servers with SuSE

    Hello,

    Thanks Frank, cfengine seems to be what i am looking for ;-)

    Thank you all people for your answers!

    On 9 sep, 03:47, Frank Ranner wrote:
    > On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 07:38:12 -0700, Andreu.Antonio wrote:
    > > Hello,

    > > We have some SuSE servers running several web apps (about 30). I'm
    > > looking for a software that help me to do changes in all servers at
    > > once, like add network routes, change crontabs, etc...

    > > I've found some apps that permits to run commands on all computers,
    > > but do you know someone that could manage SuSE configuration files?

    > > Thnks a lot,

    > > Andreu

    > Take a look at cfengine
    >
    > It's designed to do exactly what you are asking for, and a lot
    > more if you need it. In particular it will allow you to manage the
    > configuration of all your systems from one master system. You can put
    > systems into groups in order to have rules dependent on function, ie, run
    > this rule on webservers only, run another rule on machines on subnet
    > 192_168_20 only, etc. A number of classes are automatically determined
    > based on cpu type (sparc, x86), OS (redhat, suse, sunos), version
    > (sunos_5_9), hostname, ip address and subnet, date and time (to allow
    > weekly, daily, or one off rules). cfengine also provides dynamic classes
    > which allow dependancies to be defined. For example, an edit or copy of a
    > file sets a class which triggers a HUP to be sent to a service, which
    > reloads the file.
    >
    > The rules that cfengine applies can be file edits, file copies from a
    > central repository, shellcommands, file and directory creation, with
    > owner/permission enforcing, deletion of junk files, alerting when file
    > content changes, etc.
    >
    > It is somewhat tedious to set up, but once it is, it is simple to place
    > new systems under cfengine control. And any new rules you add to the
    > master files will take effect on the next run. Of course, you can test
    > rules by using only a single hostname that will execute the rule, and
    > verify that the correct operation occurs on that host, before potentially
    > breaking 30 servers!
    >
    > regards,
    >
    > Frank Ranner

+ Reply to Thread