Samba problems in SLES10 SP1 - Suse

This is a discussion on Samba problems in SLES10 SP1 - Suse ; Hi, We have two SLES10 servers in a predominently Windows network. The first server is SLES10, this can connect to the any of the machines on the Windows network if the correct username and pasword are given. The second machine ...

  1. Samba problems in SLES10 SP1

    Hi,

    We have two SLES10 servers in a predominently Windows network.
    The first server is SLES10, this can connect to the any of the machines on
    the Windows network if the correct username and pasword are given.
    The second machine was isntalled with SLES10 SP1, this has exactly the same
    smb.conf file, but cannot connect to any windows machines. When I try to do
    this, it brings up a box asking for username, domain and password, the other
    machine does not ask for domain. Whatever is put in here, it always denies
    access.
    One thing I have noticed is the older machine starts up nmbd, but the the
    SP1 machine does not. Starting this does not resolve the problem however.
    I have tried reinstalling, updgrading and even downgrading (to the same
    version as the other machine) Samba, but with no luck.
    I've tried installing winbind, configuring kerberos and joining the domain
    too, but it does not let me join. The other machine can join the domain no
    problem, but this is not necessary.

    Thanks for any help,
    Scott.

  2. Re: Samba problems in SLES10 SP1

    I believe nmbd must start first at boot before smbd, otherwise Samba will
    not work correctly. Have you checked this?

    Owkmann

    "goatBadger" wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > We have two SLES10 servers in a predominently Windows network.
    > The first server is SLES10, this can connect to the any of the machines on
    > the Windows network if the correct username and pasword are given.
    > The second machine was isntalled with SLES10 SP1, this has exactly the
    > same smb.conf file, but cannot connect to any windows machines. When I
    > try to do this, it brings up a box asking for username, domain and
    > password, the other machine does not ask for domain. Whatever is put in
    > here, it always denies access.
    > One thing I have noticed is the older machine starts up nmbd, but the the
    > SP1 machine does not. Starting this does not resolve the problem however.
    > I have tried reinstalling, updgrading and even downgrading (to the same
    > version as the other machine) Samba, but with no luck.
    > I've tried installing winbind, configuring kerberos and joining the domain
    > too, but it does not let me join. The other machine can join the domain
    > no problem, but this is not necessary.
    >
    > Thanks for any help,
    > Scott.

  3. Re: Samba problems in SLES10 SP1

    Thanks, but this makes no difference.

    "Owkmann" wrote in message
    >I believe nmbd must start first at boot before smbd, otherwise Samba will
    >not work correctly. Have you checked this?
    >
    > Owkmann
    >

    > "goatBadger" wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> We have two SLES10 servers in a predominently Windows network.
    >> The first server is SLES10, this can connect to the any of the machines
    >> on the Windows network if the correct username and pasword are given.
    >> The second machine was isntalled with SLES10 SP1, this has exactly the
    >> same smb.conf file, but cannot connect to any windows machines. When I
    >> try to do this, it brings up a box asking for username, domain and
    >> password, the other machine does not ask for domain. Whatever is put in
    >> here, it always denies access.
    >> One thing I have noticed is the older machine starts up nmbd, but the the
    >> SP1 machine does not. Starting this does not resolve the problem
    >> however.
    >> I have tried reinstalling, updgrading and even downgrading (to the same
    >> version as the other machine) Samba, but with no luck.
    >> I've tried installing winbind, configuring kerberos and joining the
    >> domain too, but it does not let me join. The other machine can join the
    >> domain no problem, but this is not necessary.
    >>
    >> Thanks for any help,
    >> Scott.

+ Reply to Thread