Weird clock behavior - Suse

This is a discussion on Weird clock behavior - Suse ; Have the openSUSE 10.2 and IBM T41. A month or two ago I noticed the clock didn't maintain the right time. Earlier it worked fine.I can't recall been doing anything for OS except allowing automatic updates. I assumed the bios ...

  1. Weird clock behavior

    Have the openSUSE 10.2 and IBM T41.

    A month or two ago I noticed the clock didn't maintain the right time.
    Earlier it worked fine.I can't recall been doing anything for OS except
    allowing automatic updates.
    I assumed the bios battery is gone, ordered a new one and installed it. The
    old battery had 3 V i.e. about ok.
    Started to follow the clock behavior and what I learned was that every time
    I booted the laptop the clock started to run from a time what the clock was
    showing once I was shutting it down previously.
    Choosing from 'yast' the NTPD service from ISP, the clock is showing a right
    time.
    I wander is this a hardware problem or an OS problem.

    Thanks
    Jouni

  2. Re: Weird clock behavior

    On Sep 5, 9:57 pm, Jouni wrote:
    > Have the openSUSE 10.2 and IBM T41.
    >
    > A month or two ago I noticed the clock didn't maintain the right time.
    > Earlier it worked fine.I can't recall been doing anything for OS except
    > allowing automatic updates.
    > I assumed the bios battery is gone, ordered a new one and installed it. The
    > old battery had 3 V i.e. about ok.
    > Started to follow the clock behavior and what I learned was that every time
    > I booted the laptop the clock started to run from a time what the clock was
    > showing once I was shutting it down previously.
    > Choosing from 'yast' the NTPD service from ISP, the clock is showing a right
    > time.
    > I wander is this a hardware problem or an OS problem.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Jouni

    Is this related to the Randy Brick MacKenna / problems with hardware
    clock -- it's stuck (timestamp 2 hours before your posting) above?
    I'd be looking for an error message on startup following the 'setting
    up the hardware clock' message.
    try (as root) running
    /etc/init.d/boot.clock start
    (or restart). Of course that could *really* upset ntpd - you might
    want to try it running at runlevel 1.
    running
    /etc/init.d/boot.clock stop
    might also show something up.

    My gut feeling - with insufficient evidence - is that the 'start' is
    not happening when you boot.
    The only place I can see where that script is referenced on my (10.1)
    system is from /etc/rc.d/rcS.d/S07boot.clock so I am obviously missing
    something.
    Also look at /etc/sysconfig/clock, the comments and content are pretty
    helpful.

  3. Re: Weird clock behavior

    Jouni writes:

    >Have the openSUSE 10.2 and IBM T41.

    >A month or two ago I noticed the clock didn't maintain the right time.
    >Earlier it worked fine.I can't recall been doing anything for OS except
    >allowing automatic updates.
    >I assumed the bios battery is gone, ordered a new one and installed it. The
    >old battery had 3 V i.e. about ok.
    >Started to follow the clock behavior and what I learned was that every time
    >I booted the laptop the clock started to run from a time what the clock was
    >showing once I was shutting it down previously.
    >Choosing from 'yast' the NTPD service from ISP, the clock is showing a right
    >time.
    >I wander is this a hardware problem or an OS problem.

    IF your real time clock ( harware clock) is really stopping when the
    computer is switched off, it is a hardware problem.

    >Thanks
    >Jouni

  4. Re: Weird clock behavior

    On 2007-09-06, Unruh wrote:

    > IF your real time clock ( harware clock) is really stopping when the
    > computer is switched off, it is a hardware problem.

    Yup.
    And there's an easy way to find our. Just going into the BIOS setup at
    startup. He cna check the clocks value there, before booting the OS.

    Douglas Adams

  5. Re: Weird clock behavior

    > My gut feeling - with insufficient evidence - is that the 'start' is
    > not happening when you boot.
    > The only place I can see where that script is referenced on my (10.1)
    > system is from /etc/rc.d/rcS.d/S07boot.clock so I am obviously missing
    > something.
    > Also look at /etc/sysconfig/clock, the comments and content are pretty
    > helpful.

    As per your hint I looked 'yast' runlevel controls and noticed 'boot.clock'
    was not enabled; after enabling and starting it seems to work OK!!!!
    I have difficulties to understand what has changed this setting,
    intentionally I have not changed that.
    At same time with the clock problems I noticed some other weird things;
    * 'autofs' doesn't anymore pop-up asking what to do when I insert CD or USB.
    * although I have runlevel 5 selected in inittab PC boots into the console,
    now and then, not always, quite randomly.

    I have not a lightest idea which has caused these, I have not touched those
    settings!

    TU
    Jouni

  6. Re: Weird clock behavior

    On Sep 8, 7:22 am, Jouni wrote:
    > > My gut feeling - with insufficient evidence - is that the 'start' is
    > > not happening when you boot.
    > > The only place I can see where that script is referenced on my (10.1)
    > > system is from /etc/rc.d/rcS.d/S07boot.clock so I am obviously missing
    > > something.
    > > Also look at /etc/sysconfig/clock, the comments and content are pretty
    > > helpful.

    > As per your hint I looked 'yast' runlevel controls and noticed 'boot.clock'
    > was not enabled; after enabling and starting it seems to work OK!!!!
    > I have difficulties to understand what has changed this setting,
    > intentionally I have not changed that.
    > At same time with the clock problems I noticed some other weird things;
    > * 'autofs' doesn't anymore pop-up asking what to do when I insert CD or USB.
    > * although I have runlevel 5 selected in inittab PC boots into the console,
    > now and then, not always, quite randomly.
    >
    > I have not a lightest idea which has caused these, I have not touched those
    > settings!
    >
    > TU
    > Jouni

    The last time I had weird things happening to one of my machines
    (Running XP: MS update server was rejecting me and I had symptoms of
    Sasser worm on startup if running as Administrator) it turned out to
    be bad memory. One small area of memory was not doing quite what it
    should have been doing.
    Memtest was my friend.

    I work on mainframes. Around 20 years ago we were having strange
    random things happening. It turned out that the cable going to one
    disc (out of 40 or 50 discs) was occasionally causing one bit to be
    set - on a 36-bit word machine - when things arrived on the disc.

    Bad memory is the easiest thing to check for when you have the SuSE
    install CD/DVD so I'd start there.

+ Reply to Thread