SLES 10SP1 and SATA - Suse

This is a discussion on SLES 10SP1 and SATA - Suse ; Hello, I've downloaded SLES10 SP1 and tried to install on my PC with ATI SB600 chipset. The installation fails at the hardware detection point as it cannot find andy disks. I tried the install with OpenSuse 10.2 and got the ...

  1. SLES 10SP1 and SATA

    Hello,

    I've downloaded SLES10 SP1 and tried to install on my PC with ATI SB600
    chipset.

    The installation fails at the hardware detection point as it cannot find
    andy disks.

    I tried the install with OpenSuse 10.2 and got the same.

    SLED 10 does find the disk, installs all the packages but then fails on
    boot up saying:

    ReiserFS: sda2: Using r5 hash to sort names
    request_module: runaway loop modprobe binfmt-0000
    request_module: runaway loop modprobe binfmt-0000
    request_module: runaway loop modprobe binfmt-0000
    request_module: runaway loop modprobe binfmt-0000

    It even does this when booting in failsafe mode.

    Any suggestions here please?

    My preference is to get SLES on the machine.

    Thanks

    Glenn

  2. Re: SLES 10SP1 and SATA

    On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 19:29:22 +0100
    Glenn Robinson wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I've downloaded SLES10 SP1 and tried to install on my PC with ATI
    > SB600 chipset.
    >
    > The installation fails at the hardware detection point as it cannot
    > find andy disks.
    >
    > I tried the install with OpenSuse 10.2 and got the same.
    >
    > SLED 10 does find the disk, installs all the packages but then fails
    > on boot up saying:
    >
    > ReiserFS: sda2: Using r5 hash to sort names
    > request_module: runaway loop modprobe binfmt-0000
    > request_module: runaway loop modprobe binfmt-0000
    > request_module: runaway loop modprobe binfmt-0000
    > request_module: runaway loop modprobe binfmt-0000
    >
    > It even does this when booting in failsafe mode.
    >

    > Any suggestions here please?
    >
    > My preference is to get SLES on the machine.
    >

    > Thanks
    >
    > Glenn

    Hi
    I found on this machine the numbering on the ASUS motherboard is
    different to how SLED saw it with multiple disks.
    sda is on controller#1 plug numbered SATA2 on motherboard and sdb is on
    controller 2 plug numbered SATA4 on the motherboard. If I tried on
    SATA1 and SATA3 the system wouldn't boot, it appeared to be how the
    kernel looked at hardware.

    --
    Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)