A Newbie question, please help! - Suse

This is a discussion on A Newbie question, please help! - Suse ; Dear All, I am a newbie using Linux and currently worked with samba, so I would like to ask for your help about few questions- it would be very simple for you but please help Here is my situation: I ...

  1. A Newbie question, please help!

    Dear All,

    I am a newbie using Linux and currently worked with samba, so I would
    like to ask for your help about
    few questions- it would be very simple for you but please help

    Here is my situation:

    I have two folder, folderA and folderB
    I would like to create 02 user group which are groupA and groupB
    There 05 users belong to 02 group above:
    user01, user02 belong to group A
    user03, user04 belong to group B
    user05 belong to both group A and group B.

    All I want to do here is manage user01-05 accessing the file server
    following their security group, such as user01 only can access Folder
    A, user05 can access both folderA and folderB.. (very simple with
    windows 2000). How to do it?

    BTW, Do I need to configure the Linux machine as the domain control
    lever? Or I only create workgroup share lever?

    Is there any GUI Interfaces to do the above thing, like windows 2000?
    The command to create user look like too complicated for me...and in
    case there are 50 user and 10 group, it would be hard to manage it...

    If you had any smb.conf file sample for the above situation, please
    can you sharing with me.

    Many thanks,
    Long

  2. Re: A Newbie question, please help!

    The carbonbased lifeform long0345 inspired alt.os.linux.suse with:
    > Dear All,
    >
    > I am a newbie using Linux and currently worked with samba, so I would
    > like to ask for your help about
    > few questions- it would be very simple for you but please help
    >
    > Here is my situation:
    >
    > I have two folder, folderA and folderB

    Called directories for non-Windows people.

    > I would like to create 02 user group which are groupA and groupB

    # groupadd groepA
    # groupadd groepB

    > There 05 users belong to 02 group above:
    > user01, user02 belong to group A
    > user03, user04 belong to group B
    > user05 belong to both group A and group B.

    # adduser -g groupA user01
    # adduser -g groupA user02
    # adduser -g groupB user03
    # adduser -g groupB user04
    # adduser -g groupA -G groupB user05

    > All I want to do here is manage user01-05 accessing the file server
    > following their security group, such as user01 only can access Folder
    > A, user05 can access both folderA and folderB.. (very simple with
    > windows 2000). How to do it?

    smb.conf(5)
    There are numerous documents on the net about configuring Samba.
    And you're not *in* Win2k, so stop comparing.

    > BTW, Do I need to configure the Linux machine as the domain control
    > lever? Or I only create workgroup share lever?

    Yes.

    > Is there any GUI Interfaces to do the above thing, like windows 2000?
    > The command to create user look like too complicated for me...and in
    > case there are 50 user and 10 group, it would be hard to manage it...

    Scripting would be my answer, but SUSE has YaST if you want a GUI.

    Theo
    --
    theo at van-werkhoven.nl ICQ:277217131 SuSE Linux
    linuxcounter.org: 99872 Jabber:muadib at jabber.xs4all.nl AMD XP3000+ 1024MB

  3. Re: A Newbie question, please help!

    Theo v. Werkhoven wrote:
    >> I would like to create 02 user group which are groupA and groupB

    > # groupadd groepA
    > # groupadd groepB

    YaST, Security and Users, Group Management

    >> There 05 users belong to 02 group above:
    >> user01, user02 belong to group A
    >> user03, user04 belong to group B
    >> user05 belong to both group A and group B.

    > # adduser -g groupA user01
    > # adduser -g groupA user02
    > # adduser -g groupB user03
    > # adduser -g groupB user04
    > # adduser -g groupA -G groupB user05

    YaST, Security and Users, User Management.

    >> Is there any GUI Interfaces to do the above thing, like windows 2000?
    >> The command to create user look like too complicated for me...and in
    >> case there are 50 user and 10 group, it would be hard to manage it...

    > Scripting would be my answer, but SUSE has YaST if you want a GUI.

    Scripting is easy. Add the following in a file and do `sh file`
    #!/bin/bash
    groupadd groepA
    groupadd groepB
    adduser -g groupA user01
    adduser -g groupA user02
    adduser -g groupB user03
    adduser -g groupB user04
    adduser -g groupA -G groupB user05

    I fauil to see any reason to do that, but whatever. :-D

    houghi
    --
    houghi http://houghi.org http://www.plainfaqs.org/linux/

    > Today I went outside. My pupils have never been tinier...

  4. Re: A Newbie question, please help!

    On Aug 31, 5:56 am, "Theo v. Werkhoven" werkhoven.nl.invalid> wrote:
    > The carbonbased lifeform long0345 inspired alt.os.linux.suse with:
    >
    > > Dear All,

    > > I am a newbie using Linux and currently worked with samba, so I would
    > > like to ask for your help about
    > > few questions- it would be very simple for you but please help

    > > Here is my situation:

    > > I have two folder, folderA and folderB

    > Called directories for non-Windows people.
    >
    > > I would like to create 02 user group which are groupA and groupB

    > # groupadd groepA
    > # groupadd groepB
    >
    > > There 05 users belong to 02 group above:
    > > user01, user02 belong to group A
    > > user03, user04 belong to group B
    > > user05 belong to both group A and group B.

    > # adduser -g groupA user01
    > # adduser -g groupA user02
    > # adduser -g groupB user03
    > # adduser -g groupB user04
    > # adduser -g groupA -G groupB user05
    >
    > > All I want to do here is manage user01-05 accessing the file server
    > > following their security group, such as user01 only can access Folder
    > > A, user05 can access both folderA and folderB.. (very simple with
    > > windows 2000). How to do it?

    > smb.conf(5)
    > There are numerous documents on the net about configuring Samba.
    > And you're not *in* Win2k, so stop comparing.
    >
    > > BTW, Do I need to configure the Linux machine as the domain control
    > > lever? Or I only create workgroup share lever?

    > Yes.
    >
    > > Is there any GUI Interfaces to do the above thing, like windows 2000?
    > > The command to create user look like too complicated for me...and in
    > > case there are 50 user and 10 group, it would be hard to manage it...

    > Scripting would be my answer, but SUSE has YaST if you want a GUI.
    >
    > Theo
    > --
    > theo at van-werkhoven.nl ICQ:277217131 SuSE Linux
    > linuxcounter.org: 99872 Jabber:muadib at jabber.xs4all.nl AMD XP3000+ 1024MB
    > "ik _heb_ niets tegen Microsoft, ik heb iets tegen
    > de uitwassen *van* Microsoft"

    Don't forget to add the users to samba as well:

    smbpasswd -a user01
    smbpasswd -a user02
    etc.

    Curtis Grote
    Memorial Hospital

  5. Re: A Newbie question, please help!

    The carbonbased lifeform houghi inspired alt.os.linux.suse with:
    > Theo v. Werkhoven wrote:

    [about user/group admining]
    >>> Is there any GUI Interfaces to do the above thing, like windows 2000?
    >>> The command to create user look like too complicated for me...and in
    >>> case there are 50 user and 10 group, it would be hard to manage it...

    >> Scripting would be my answer, but SUSE has YaST if you want a GUI.

    > Scripting is easy. Add the following in a file and do `sh file`
    > #!/bin/bash
    > groupadd groepA
    > groupadd groepB
    > adduser -g groupA user01
    > adduser -g groupA user02
    > adduser -g groupB user03
    > adduser -g groupB user04
    > adduser -g groupA -G groupB user05
    >
    > I fauil to see any reason to do that, but whatever. :-D

    So do I. But the OP seems determined not to use the available commands in
    a shell, for whatever reason.
    If there are regular changes to users and groups, scripting a a lot
    easier than YaST (but not the kind of script you're using here though).

    Theo
    --
    theo at van-werkhoven.nl ICQ:277217131 SuSE Linux
    linuxcounter.org: 99872 Jabber:muadib at jabber.xs4all.nl AMD XP3000+ 1024MB
    "ik _heb_ niets tegen Microsoft, ik heb iets tegen
    de uitwassen *van* Microsoft"

  6. Re: A Newbie question, please help!

    Theo v. Werkhoven wrote:
    > If there are regular changes to users and groups, scripting a a lot
    > easier than YaST (but not the kind of script you're using here though).

    Indeed. It would depend on what you need to do, because you could do
    things pretty fast with YaST:
    root@penne : yast --help
    Usage: /sbin/yast [OPTIONS] [MODULE] [module specific parameters]

    So you can do one (or both) of the following `sudo /sbin/yast2 groups`
    and `sudo /sbin/yast2 users`. If you want to have an icon to lauch it,
    you can use the Gnome or KDE GUI version of sudo.

    http://houghi.org/random/group_change.htm

    houghi
    --
    How do you ask a man to be the last man to die in Iraq?
    How do you ask a man to be the last man to die for a mistake?

  7. Re: A Newbie question, please help!

    Many thanks All. Now I already create user & group, join an XP machine
    to the domain already but now I have another problem and I will post
    to a new topic.

    Best wishes

  8. Re: A Newbie question, please help!

    long0345 :
    > Many thanks All.

    For what? You give no context here for us to tell, and your Subject:
    line is worthless.

    > Now I already create user & group, join an XP machine to the domain
    > already but now I have another problem and I will post to a new
    > topic.

    Oh good. Try to do better next time.