Getting started with ssh and virtual tunnels - Suse

This is a discussion on Getting started with ssh and virtual tunnels - Suse ; How does one go about setting up a virtual tunnel in SuSE Linux (10.2) and use ssh through it? Thanks!...

  1. Getting started with ssh and virtual tunnels

    How does one go about setting up a virtual tunnel in SuSE Linux
    (10.2) and use ssh through it?

    Thanks!

  2. Re: Getting started with ssh and virtual tunnels

    Hi Scott

    You might need to elaborate on your question and requirements some. I am
    guessing just a bit!

    I assume you are talking about a a VPN over ssh? Keep in mind that these
    are prone to some major problems because you are running TCP inside TCP.
    In real life this can end up as long delays at the most inopportune
    times! It does of course depend on your usage but I have personally see
    it cause a lot of problems. Small amounts of i/o are probably okay but
    as soon a you load the link down it baulks and slows.

    I would recommend you look at openvpn which is included in the SuSE
    distro. This runs TCP over UDP. You can also look at cipe but you'll
    have to compile that into the kernel specially. You can also do a plain
    IP-IP tunnel but that has no encryption.

    If however you want to run ssh over the public network to a remote
    machine by itself, you don't really need to setup a virtual tunnel. Just
    ssh to the endpoint address and it will encrypt quite happily. Depending
    on what you are trying to achieve you may want to setup holes in the
    firewall for such things. You can even forward X that way, "seeing" the
    remote machines GUI on your own. It would be pretty slow over an average
    broadband link though.

    If you really want to run a VPN/SSH tunnel have a browse around for "PPP
    over SSH". I think there has been some work recently that has a modified
    form of UDP ssh that resolves this baulking problem. Sorry I cant
    remember the project name.

    I doubt the above is available through the SuSE/YaST menu system but I
    haven't checked.

    What are you actually wanting to do?

    Cheers Bob

    scott wrote:
    > How does one go about setting up a virtual tunnel in SuSE Linux
    > (10.2) and use ssh through it?

+ Reply to Thread