Any problems with SUSE 10.2 32bit on Athlon64? - Suse

This is a discussion on Any problems with SUSE 10.2 32bit on Athlon64? - Suse ; Just installed 10.2 x86_64 on my Athlon64 3200+ system (previously running SuSE 9.3 64bit). Seems to work fine, but I'd forgotten how much work it is to get 32bit applications working (there are some that I never managed to get ...

  1. Any problems with SUSE 10.2 32bit on Athlon64?

    Just installed 10.2 x86_64 on my Athlon64 3200+ system (previously running
    SuSE 9.3 64bit).

    Seems to work fine, but I'd forgotten how much work it is to get 32bit
    applications working (there are some that I never managed to get working
    properly).

    Are there any problems I'm likely to encounter. I use the nvidia drivers
    on a GeForce 7600 AGP card.

    --
    David Haggett
    Linux user since 01/01/2003

  2. Re: Any problems with SUSE 10.2 32bit on Athlon64?

    David Haggett wrote:
    > Just installed 10.2 x86_64 on my Athlon64 3200+ system (previously running
    > SuSE 9.3 64bit).
    >
    > Seems to work fine, but I'd forgotten how much work it is to get 32bit
    > applications working (there are some that I never managed to get working
    > properly).

    ???
    Example?

    64bit 10.2 works fine for 99+% of applications now. IMHO, one of
    the few distros that supports the 32bit weirdisms alongside 64bit
    quite well.

    Last 32bit I did on AMD 64bit was SUSE 9.3... it seemed to work well.
    At the office we have tons of Intel 64bit machines running 32bit SUSE
    Enterprise.

    > Are there any problems I'm likely to encounter. I use the nvidia drivers
    > on a GeForce 7600 AGP card.

    My SUSE 9.3 box (64bit running 32bit) used a 6600GT AGP with Nvidia
    drivers... no problems.

  3. Re: Any problems with SUSE 10.2 32bit on Athlon64?

    On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 14:13:29 -0500, Chris Cox wrote:

    > David Haggett wrote:

    >> Seems to work fine, but I'd forgotten how much work it is to get 32bit
    >> applications working (there are some that I never managed to get working
    >> properly).

    > ???
    > Example?

    The main one was xine, which works fine in 64bit, but can't use the
    windows codecs. I'd hoped I'd be able to install the 32bit version from
    Packman, along with libdvdcss, but it looks like it isn't that simple.

    The other bits in fact I got working perfectly in 64bit mode, are things
    like the real-time kernel for audio work. I like the look of the JackLab
    project, and their main thrust is 32bit. I'm probably just being a bit
    lazy.

    > 64bit 10.2 works fine for 99+% of applications now. IMHO, one of the
    > few distros that supports the 32bit weirdisms alongside 64bit quite
    > well.

    I have been running it for 6 hours, and haven't found anything seriously
    wrong

    >> Are there any problems I'm likely to encounter. I use the nvidia
    >> drivers on a GeForce 7600 AGP card.

    > My SUSE 9.3 box (64bit running 32bit) used a 6600GT AGP with Nvidia
    > drivers... no problems.

    Oh, hell. What have I got to loose?

    --
    David Haggett
    Linux user since 01/01/2003
    Email: davidhaggettdemoncouk

  4. Re: Any problems with SUSE 10.2 32bit on Athlon64?

    David Haggett wrote:
    > On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 14:13:29 -0500, Chris Cox wrote:
    >
    >> David Haggett wrote:

    >>> Seems to work fine, but I'd forgotten how much work it is to get 32bit
    >>> applications working (there are some that I never managed to get working
    >>> properly).

    >> ???
    >> Example?

    > The main one was xine, which works fine in 64bit, but can't use the
    > windows codecs. I'd hoped I'd be able to install the 32bit version from
    > Packman, along with libdvdcss, but it looks like it isn't that simple.

    From my 64bit quad AMD...

    $ rpm -q -a | grep xine | xargs rpm -q --queryformat '%{ARCH}\n'
    amarok-xine x86_64
    xinetd x86_64
    xine-ui x86_64
    libxine1 x86_64
    libxine1-aa x86_64

    I can play almost all media types, including WMV, MOVs, etc...
    I do have 32bit w32codec-all-20061022-0 installed.

    Also, I run 64bit firefox, and 32bit mplayer-plugin... seems
    to work fine (for embedded videos inside the browser).

    > The other bits in fact I got working perfectly in 64bit mode, are things
    > like the real-time kernel for audio work. I like the look of the JackLab
    > project, and their main thrust is 32bit. I'm probably just being a bit
    > lazy.

    All of the above are from available rpms... I didn't compile anything.
    Can't say anything about jacklab... haven't used that one.

    Also, I use CrossOver and the shockwave plugin... works...

    >> 64bit 10.2 works fine for 99+% of applications now. IMHO, one of the
    >> few distros that supports the 32bit weirdisms alongside 64bit quite
    >> well.

    > I have been running it for 6 hours, and haven't found anything seriously
    > wrong
    >
    >>> Are there any problems I'm likely to encounter. I use the nvidia
    >>> drivers on a GeForce 7600 AGP card.

    >> My SUSE 9.3 box (64bit running 32bit) used a 6600GT AGP with Nvidia
    >> drivers... no problems.

    > Oh, hell. What have I got to loose?

    Back in the 9.3 days, you DID pretty much have to run 32bit SUSE
    in order for everything to work... but I've got everything working
    just fine now with openSUSE 10.2 64bit. It's gotten a lot better.

    I do use packman/guru/etc. for the additional rpms of course...

  5. Re: Any problems with SUSE 10.2 32bit on Athlon64?

    On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 16:20:01 -0500, Chris Cox wrote:

    > I can play almost all media types, including WMV, MOVs, etc...
    > I do have 32bit w32codec-all-20061022-0 installed.

    Me too, it seems. I think I'll stick with 64bit for the moment - I've yet
    to identify anything specifically as not working.

    > Can't say anything about jacklab... haven't used that one.

    It's pretty specific towards making SuSE into a Digital Audio Workstation,
    and their main contribution is a modified kernel with real-time
    preemption, and a modified PAM to control permissions to access the
    real-time capabilities. One of their contributors (appleonkel) maintains a
    64bit version of each so I'll give it a go and see what happens.

    --
    David Haggett
    Linux user since 01/01/2003
    Email: davidhaggettdemoncouk