Broadcom Wireless network Card not working with Suse 10.2! - Suse

This is a discussion on Broadcom Wireless network Card not working with Suse 10.2! - Suse ; Dear All, I am a newbie in Linux and installing Suse 10.2 with my laptop HP NC6000. This machine has an wireless network card- Broadcom. Even I see it appears on the Network Devices, it is not working... I've try ...

  1. Broadcom Wireless network Card not working with Suse 10.2!

    Dear All,

    I am a newbie in Linux and installing Suse 10.2 with my laptop HP
    NC6000. This machine has an wireless network card- Broadcom. Even I
    see it appears on the Network Devices, it is not working... I've try
    googled some site and I see some folks facing the same problem...

    http://forums.suselinuxsupport.de/in...ic=47969&st=40

    They might solve the problem but it seem not clear for me how to do
    it, because I don't know how to intall bcmwl5a.inf with ndiswrapper.
    Any idea, please can you advise or instruct me how to try as the link
    above.

    Many thanks,
    Long

  2. Re: Broadcom Wireless network Card not working with Suse 10.2!

    long0345 wrote:

    > Dear All,
    >
    > I am a newbie in Linux and installing Suse 10.2 with my laptop HP
    > NC6000. This machine has an wireless network card- Broadcom. Even I
    > see it appears on the Network Devices, it is not working... I've try
    > googled some site and I see some folks facing the same problem...
    >
    > http://forums.suselinuxsupport.de/in...ic=47969&st=40
    >
    > They might solve the problem but it seem not clear for me how to do
    > it, because I don't know how to intall bcmwl5a.inf with ndiswrapper.
    > Any idea, please can you advise or instruct me how to try as the link
    > above.
    >
    > Many thanks,
    > Long

    Are you sure this has a broadcom chipset? This is right from HP's site
    about the NC6000 :

    Wireless WLAN – 802.11 a/b/g and 802.11 b/g
    This section applies to the Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG and Intel PRO/Wireless
    2915A Network Connections. All Intel Wireless devices in the 2005 Mobile
    product line use either controller. In this case the IPW2200 Linux driver
    supports both the 2200BG and 2915A Intel PRO/Wireless Network Connection.
    • Run YaST > Hardware > Hardware Information and probe the hardware. Note:
    An example of a HW address for the device is 00:0e:35:68:48:ce
    • The HW address may not be found until after driver installation.
    • Make a note of the PCI bus ID. For example, 0000:02:04:0, this will be
    needed for network configuration later.
    • Root login required.
    • Download the driver and firmware package from Intel.com:
    ipw2200_linux_1_0_0.tgz
    http://support.intel.com/support/wir...wlan/index.htm
    • Copy ipw2200_linux_1_0_0.tgz to a directory; for example, /home/intel2200.
    • In a shell run the commands listed below in bold.
    • tar xzvf ipw2200_linux_1_0_0.tgz (will create intel_ipw2200 directory
    which contains the firmware package,ipw2200-fw-2.2.tgz and the driver
    package, ipw2200-1.0.0.tgz.
    • cd intel_ipw2200
    • tar xzvf ipw2200-1.0.0.tgz (tar should create and populate an
    ipw2200-1.0.0 directory
    • cd ipw2200-1.0.0
    • make install
    • Unpack the firmware with the following commands.
    • cd home/intel2200/intel_ipw2200
    • mkdir ipw2200-fw
    • cp ipw2200-fw-2.2.tgz ./ipw2200-fw
    • cd ipw2200-fw
    • tar xzvf ipw2200-fw-2.2.tgz
    • Copy all contents of /home/intel2200/ipw2200-fw/
    to/usr/lib/hotplug/firmware. Except do not copy the ipw2200-fw-2.2.tgz.
    • Then initialize the module with the command /etc/init.d/hotplug restart
    • Install the module with the following command: modprobe ipw2200
    • If the hardware address is unknown rerun YaST> Hardware > Hardware
    Information. Note: May not have HW address until after modprobe ipw2200.
    • Configure the wireless network device in YaST.
    o YaST
    o NETWORK Devices
    o Network Card
    o Change
    o ADD Device Type Wireless
    o In the Configuration Name box add the hardware address for the device; for
    example, ignore the quotes, "id-00:0e:35:68:48:ce"
    o In the Hardware Configuration Name box add the sysfs_bus_id for the
    device; for example, ignore the quotes, "bus-pci-0000:02:04:0"
    o In the Module Name box add the following, ignore the quotes, "ipw2200"
    o Select Wireless settings: these may vary.

    If it is a broadcom try these links:

    http://en.opensuse.org/Wireless_Netw...d_Installation
    http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Ndiswrapper
    http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Wireless_...ith_SuSE_Linux

    Those should get you going in the right direction .. you also can always
    join #suse on freenode IRC and get live help...

    --
    In a world without wall or fences ... who need windows or gates??
    -unknown-

+ Reply to Thread