10.1 vs 10.2 (Yast2) - Suse

This is a discussion on 10.1 vs 10.2 (Yast2) - Suse ; I am still running Suse 10.1. I really have no reason to upgrade to 10.2 as everything works Great and stable. Well everything except Yast. Actually Yast works it just so slow. Can anyone tell me wether or not upgrading ...

  1. 10.1 vs 10.2 (Yast2)

    I am still running Suse 10.1. I really have no reason to upgrade to 10.2 as
    everything works Great and stable. Well everything except Yast. Actually
    Yast works it just so slow. Can anyone tell me wether or not upgrading to
    10.2 would solve the problem or if there is another work around. I've been
    using the Smart Package Manager, but would like to use Yast if I can get it
    to respond a bit quicker.

    If there are any other reason why you think I may want to upgrade I am open
    to your suggestions.

    Thanks,
    Steve

  2. Re: 10.1 vs 10.2 (Yast2)

    On Aug 20, 3:22 pm, Steve Longstreet wrote:
    > I am still running Suse 10.1. I really have no reason to upgrade to 10.2 as
    > everything works Great and stable. Well everything except Yast. Actually
    > Yast works it just so slow. Can anyone tell me wether or not upgrading to
    > 10.2 would solve the problem or if there is another work around. I've been
    > using the Smart Package Manager, but would like to use Yast if I can get it
    > to respond a bit quicker.
    >
    > If there are any other reason why you think I may want to upgrade I am open
    > to your suggestions.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Steve

    When is Yast slow? On startup, when you are trying to do something?

  3. Re: 10.1 vs 10.2 (Yast2)

    Steve Longstreet wrote:
    > I am still running Suse 10.1. I really have no reason to upgrade to 10.2 as
    > everything works Great and stable. Well everything except Yast. Actually
    > Yast works it just so slow. Can anyone tell me wether or not upgrading to
    > 10.2 would solve the problem or if there is another work around. I've been
    > using the Smart Package Manager, but would like to use Yast if I can get it
    > to respond a bit quicker.

    No. OTOH you can use smart and YaST bot for installation, just don't run
    them at the same time.

    > If there are any other reason why you think I may want to upgrade I am open
    > to your suggestions.

    No.

    houghi
    --
    We all came out to Montreux Frank Zappa and the Mothers
    On the Lake Geneva shoreline Were at the best place around

  4. Re: 10.1 vs 10.2 (Yast2)

    borepstein@gmail.com wrote:

    > On Aug 20, 3:22 pm, Steve Longstreet wrote:
    >> I am still running Suse 10.1. I really have no reason to upgrade to 10.2
    >> as everything works Great and stable. Well everything except Yast.
    >> Actually Yast works it just so slow. Can anyone tell me wether or not
    >> upgrading to 10.2 would solve the problem or if there is another work
    >> around. I've been using the Smart Package Manager, but would like to use
    >> Yast if I can get it to respond a bit quicker.
    >>
    >> If there are any other reason why you think I may want to upgrade I am
    >> open to your suggestions.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Steve

    > When is Yast slow? On startup, when you are trying to do something?

    It's slow when opening online update, software management and installation
    source.

  5. Re: 10.1 vs 10.2 (Yast2)

    Steve Longstreet wrote:
    > It's slow when opening online update, software management and installation
    > source.

    They are working on it for 10.3. No reasdon to go from 10.1 to 10.2. The
    best option is to decide what you want to install and then ionstall as
    many at the same time as possible. ;-)

    houghi
    --
    We all came out to Montreux Frank Zappa and the Mothers
    On the Lake Geneva shoreline Were at the best place around
    To make records with a mobile But some stupid with a flare gun
    We didn't have much time Burned the place to the ground

  6. Re: 10.1 vs 10.2 (Yast2)

    houghi wrote:

    > Steve Longstreet wrote:
    >> It's slow when opening online update, software management and
    >> installation source.

    > They are working on it for 10.3. No reasdon to go from 10.1 to 10.2. The
    > best option is to decide what you want to install and then ionstall as
    > many at the same time as possible. ;-)
    >
    > houghi

    Ya, pretty much as I suspected. Thanks for your input.
    Steve

  7. Re: 10.1 vs 10.2 (Yast2)

    Steve Longstreet wrote:
    > houghi wrote:
    >
    >> Steve Longstreet wrote:
    >>> It's slow when opening online update, software management and
    >>> installation source.

    >> They are working on it for 10.3. No reasdon to go from 10.1 to 10.2. The
    >> best option is to decide what you want to install and then ionstall as
    >> many at the same time as possible. ;-)
    >>
    >> houghi

    > Ya, pretty much as I suspected. Thanks for your input.
    > Steve

    THe more repos you have listed the longer SUSE takes to leaf through
    them all. And lately packman at IU Bremen has been slow as Christmas
    coming too. If you have any repos you can live without then remove them,
    and things should pick up a bit.

  8. Re: 10.1 vs 10.2 (Yast2)

    Barnacle Bill the Sailor wrote:

    > Steve Longstreet wrote:
    >> houghi wrote:

    >>> They are working on it for 10.3. No reasdon to go from 10.1 to 10.2. The
    >>> best option is to decide what you want to install and then ionstall as
    >>> many at the same time as possible. ;-)
    >>>
    >>> houghi

    >> Ya, pretty much as I suspected. Thanks for your input.
    >> Steve

    > THe more repos you have listed the longer SUSE takes to leaf through
    > them all. And lately packman at IU Bremen has been slow as Christmas
    > coming too. If you have any repos you can live without then remove them,
    > and things should pick up a bit.

    SuSE 10.3 is comes in september. No reason to upgrade to 10.2, spending time
    configuring it and the realising that 10.3 would be better. Actually, major
    improvements in 10.3 are about libzypp and Yast loading time. I'd wait for
    10.3
    Regards

  9. Re: 10.1 vs 10.2 (Yast2)

    Steve Longstreet wrote:

    > borepstein@gmail.com wrote:

    (... sniped ...)
    > It's slow when opening online update, software management and installation
    > source.

    For me (with 10.2) it helped removing zmd. What I actually did was
    selectting pattern "openSUSE Software Management" and deselect "Enterprise
    Software Management"

  10. 10.3 require a new installation?

    houghi wrote:
    > Steve Longstreet wrote:
    >> I am still running Suse 10.1. I really have no reason to upgrade to 10.2 as
    >> everything works Great and stable. Well everything except Yast. Actually
    >> Yast works it just so slow. Can anyone tell me wether or not upgrading to
    >> 10.2 would solve the problem or if there is another work around. I've been
    >> using the Smart Package Manager, but would like to use Yast if I can get it
    >> to respond a bit quicker.

    > No. OTOH you can use smart and YaST bot for installation, just don't run
    > them at the same time.
    >
    >> If there are any other reason why you think I may want to upgrade I am open
    >> to your suggestions.

    > No.
    >
    > houghi

    Will 10.3 require an entirely new installation, or simply upgrade?

  11. Re: 10.3 require a new installation?

    Pete wrote:
    > Will 10.3 require an entirely new installation, or simply upgrade?

    Who knows? As 10.3 is not out, nobody can tell for sure. However it
    miost likely will be as it was with 10.2, 10.1, 10.0, 9.3, 9.2, 9.1,
    9.0, 8.2, 8.1, 8.0, 7.3, 7.2, 7.1, 7.0, 6.4, 6.3, 6.2, 6.1, 6.0, 5.4,
    5.3, 5.2, 5.1, 5.0 and 4.2.

    That mean you best take a backup, try the upgrade and if that fails, do
    the new installation. What I will be doing is do a dual boot for 10.2
    and 10.3 and if 10.3 id running OK, move over to 10.3 completely. The
    reason is that a lot of the times I sayd to myself If I could turn back
    time ..., If I could find a way ..., I'd take back those boots that hurd
    me and reinstal. (Sorry)

    In a working enviroment you ALWAYS first check if the new is working as
    expected and will fullfill the needs. It is easier then you think, yet
    you need to have taken some precausions.
    1) You need to have an available partition for /
    2) You need /home on a seperate partition
    Idealy things like /srv or what not should be on their own partition as
    well, yet that is no must.

    Just made a new page: http://houghi.org/suse_upgrade that describes the
    process of how I do it.

    houghi
    --
    But I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am
    free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I

+ Reply to Thread