Install from .tar.gz - Suse

This is a discussion on Install from .tar.gz - Suse ; What's the suggested way to install software, so that it is managed by Yast, in case no RPM is available? Why do the installed packages not appear in the dedicated RPM folders? DoDi...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 47

  1. Install from .tar.gz

    What's the suggested way to install software, so that it is managed by
    Yast, in case no RPM is available?

    Why do the installed packages not appear in the dedicated RPM folders?

    DoDi

  2. Re: Install from .tar.gz

    Hello Hans-Peter,

    Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:
    > What's the suggested way to install software, so that it is managed by
    > Yast, in case no RPM is available?

    tar -xvzf programm.tar.gz
    cd programm
    make config
    make
    checkinstall

    Checkinstall is not in the SuSE standart installation, but needs to be added
    through YaST. It takes care of installing the program, AND creating
    corresponding RPM.

    > Why do the installed packages not appear in the dedicated RPM folders?

    RPM manages only packages installed by RPM, and it's frontends like YaST. It
    can't be aware of software installed through other routines, like tar.gz,
    proprietary installers etc. Checkinstall adresses this issue by creating
    appropriate RPM's from self-compiled programs.

    Before using the routine described above, please ask your WWW search engine
    for "rpm programm", maybe there exist RPM's of your program for your
    distribution.

    With regards,
    Hendric
    --
    Hendric Stattmann, Mödling, Austria. Registered Linux User #178879

  3. Re: Install from .tar.gz

    Hendric Stattmann wrote:
    > Before using the routine described above, please ask your WWW search engine
    > for "rpm programm", maybe there exist RPM's of your program for your
    > distribution.

    Well, after looking in YaST obviously and after adding repo's

    It is always interesting to know what program it is, because often there
    is an alternative.

    houghi
    --
    Please go to : http://tinyurl.com/aqe6y (Google site)
    and vote for 'Default quoting of previous message in replies'
    > This was a broadcast from the netpolice.

  4. Re: Install from .tar.gz

    On Sun, 19 Aug 2007, Hendric Stattmann wrote:-

    >Hello Hans-Peter,
    >
    >Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:
    >> What's the suggested way to install software, so that it is managed by
    >> Yast, in case no RPM is available?

    >tar -xvzf programm.tar.gz
    >cd programm
    >make config
    >make
    >checkinstall

    Alternatively, unpack the archive and see if there's a .spec file inside
    it. If there is, you can use:

    rpmbuild -ta program.tar.gz

    and then use rpm to install the one you'll have just built.

    >Before using the routine described above, please ask your WWW search engine
    >for "rpm programm", maybe there exist RPM's of your program for your
    >distribution.

    Good idea. It's quite likely that you'll find someone has built it,
    unless it's a really specialized piece of software that almost no-one
    but the author is likely to use.

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    --
    Member of Team Acorn checking nodes at 100 Mnodes/s: www.distributed.net
    RISC OS 3.11 | SUSE 10.0 32bit | SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit

  5. Re: Install from .tar.gz

    houghi :
    > Hendric Stattmann wrote:
    > > Before using the routine described above, please ask your WWW search engine
    > > for "rpm programm", maybe there exist RPM's of your program for your
    > > distribution.

    > Well, after looking in YaST obviously and after adding repo's
    >
    > It is always interesting to know what program it is, because often there
    > is an alternative.

    Indeed. My user went to the trouble of installing Adobe Acrobat
    Reader the other day. What the heck for?!? I do a "man -k pdf" (or
    "apropos pdf") and see twenty-five packages related to PDFs installed
    (here, anyway), some that I'd never heard of.

    I think usage of all these pointy-clicky GUI apps (no, I'm *not*
    talking about yast) is crippling people. If they'd just learn that
    the command line is *a feature*, I'm convinced they'd have a lot less
    trouble using their systems.

    If some app's not in the window manager app list, they can't tell
    what they have to work with.

  6. Re: Install from .tar.gz

    s. keeling wrote:
    > Indeed. My user went to the trouble of installing Adobe Acrobat
    > Reader the other day. What the heck for?!? I do a "man -k pdf" (or
    > "apropos pdf") and see twenty-five packages related to PDFs installed
    > (here, anyway), some that I'd never heard of.

    Another handy tool on openSUSE is pin. Install it and try it out. It
    does both rpm investigation for installed files and a zgrep on
    non-istalled files from your first official installation. As it is a
    grep in a gz file, you can pipe it. A nice example is:
    L=License:;pin $L|awk -F"$L" '{print $NF}'| \
    awk -F, '{print $1}'|sort|uniq -c|sort -n

    To look for a program, do something like `pin bin/pin`

    > I think usage of all these pointy-clicky GUI apps (no, I'm *not*
    > talking about yast) is crippling people. If they'd just learn that
    > the command line is *a feature*, I'm convinced they'd have a lot less
    > trouble using their systems.

    I have given up those hopes. There are administrators and there are
    users. Users should NOT play around and pretend to be administrator.
    They should use.

    The pity is that many of them not only think they can be administrator.
    They take up jobs as an administrator. It is bad enough when some slob
    who thinks he can do things (like me) tels somebody with real knowledge
    how bad a job they are doing and completely miss the point. It is worse
    when the only solution to solve an email virus attack by closing the
    company for the rest of the day, sending everybody home.

    Or tell me some lame excuse as to what the problem is. "We have a router
    problem. Packages are bouncing all around and we have a package
    overflow." Me: Then why can we connect with our linux boxen? The only
    server that we can not reach is the Wintendo autentication server, so
    get your lazy-fat butt *up* to the cellar, reboot the **** server and
    crawl back to the hole you came from. (Ok, perhaps the wording was
    different.)

    Sometimes monkys can do a better job, because they at least have a 50%
    chance to press the right button.

    > If some app's not in the window manager app list, they can't tell
    > what they have to work with.

    So they do not know what the application actualy does? The first thing I
    do when I have a new OS is click on all the buttons I can see, run all
    the programs I can find and obviously re-install several times, because
    I press the wrong buttons. It is an ingenious process called 'learning'.

    OK, I stop ranting now. Just this things. There are some good IT people
    out there. (At least that is what people keep telling me)

    houghi
    --
    Please go to : http://tinyurl.com/aqe6y (Google site)
    and vote for 'Default quoting of previous message in replies'
    > This was a broadcast from the netpolice.

  7. Re: Install from .tar.gz

    David Bolt wrote:

    >>Before using the routine described above, please ask your WWW search engine
    >>for "rpm programm", maybe there exist RPM's of your program for your
    >>distribution.

    > Good idea. It's quite likely that you'll find someone has built it,
    > unless it's a really specialized piece of software that almost no-one
    > but the author is likely to use.

    You know Lazarus? ;-)

    There are many programs and libraries, which I would like to test, for
    which no packages but source archives exist.

    DoDi

  8. Re: Install from .tar.gz

    Hendric Stattmann wrote:

    > Checkinstall is not in the SuSE standart installation, but needs to be added
    > through YaST. It takes care of installing the program, AND creating
    > corresponding RPM.

    I just have installed checkinstall, but couldn't find how to proceed. No
    man, no info, no -?, what am I supposed to do?

    DoDi

  9. Re: Install from .tar.gz

    On Sun, 19 Aug 2007, Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:-

    >Hendric Stattmann wrote:
    >
    >> Checkinstall is not in the SuSE standart installation, but needs to be added
    >> through YaST. It takes care of installing the program, AND creating
    >> corresponding RPM.

    >I just have installed checkinstall, but couldn't find how to proceed.
    >No man, no info, no -?, what am I supposed to do?

    Go through the compilation as a normal user, i.e. do these step as a
    normal user:

    ../configure
    make

    Then you need to become root and change into the source directory. After
    that, instead of using "make install" to install the package, you use
    checkinstall instead. This will ask you a few questions about the
    package it'll build before performing a "make install" . As the "make
    install" progresses, checkinstall makes a note of what files are added
    to the system, and where they were written, creates a spec file and then
    builds a binary RPM package.

    The last time I looked at checkinstall, it was okay for simple package,
    ones that installed maybe a few binary files and some docs, but it
    wasn't any good when installing libraries.

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    --
    Member of Team Acorn checking nodes at 100 Mnodes/s: www.distributed.net
    RISC OS 3.11 | SUSE 10.0 32bit | SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit
    RISC OS 3.6 | SUSE 10.0 64bit | SUSE 10.1 64bit | openSUSE 10.2 64bit
    TOS 4.02 | SUSE 9.3 32bit | | openSUSE 10.3a6 32bit

  10. Re: Install from .tar.gz

    On Sun, 19 Aug 2007, Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:-

    >David Bolt wrote:
    >
    >>>Before using the routine described above, please ask your WWW search engine
    >>>for "rpm programm", maybe there exist RPM's of your program for your
    >>>distribution.

    >> Good idea. It's quite likely that you'll find someone has built it,
    >> unless it's a really specialized piece of software that almost no-one
    >> but the author is likely to use.

    >You know Lazarus? ;-)

    You sure you don't mean Icarus?

    >There are many programs and libraries, which I would like to test, for
    >which no packages but source archives exist.

    All the more reason to look and see if a spec file is inside the
    archive. If there is, it makes removing the packages a lot easier than
    if you use the make/make install.

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    --
    Member of Team Acorn checking nodes at 100 Mnodes/s: www.distributed.net
    RISC OS 3.11 | SUSE 10.0 32bit | SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit
    RISC OS 3.6 | SUSE 10.0 64bit | SUSE 10.1 64bit | openSUSE 10.2 64bit
    TOS 4.02 | SUSE 9.3 32bit | | openSUSE 10.3a6 32bit

  11. Re: Install from .tar.gz

    David Bolt wrote:
    > All the more reason to look and see if a spec file is inside the
    > archive. If there is, it makes removing the packages a lot easier than
    > if you use the make/make install.

    And if not, there is always checkinstall that makes an RPM for you. Not
    ideal for distribution, but good enough for yourself to be able to
    remove it later.

    Even if you have already done a `make install` you can still do a
    checkinstall, (force-)install the rpm and then remove it easily as the
    RPM will overwrite whatever you have made.

    houghi
    --
    We all came out to Montreux Frank Zappa and the Mothers
    On the Lake Geneva shoreline Were at the best place around

  12. Re: Install from .tar.gz

    David Bolt wrote:
    > On Sun, 19 Aug 2007, Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:-
    >>I just have installed checkinstall, but couldn't find how to proceed.
    >>No man, no info, no -?, what am I supposed to do?

    Read the documentation. /usr/share/doc/packages/checkinstall/*

    > Go through the compilation as a normal user, i.e. do these step as a
    > normal user:
    >
    > ./configure
    > make
    >
    > Then you need to become root and change into the source directory. After
    > that, instead of using "make install" to install the package, you use
    > checkinstall instead. This will ask you a few questions about the
    > package it'll build before performing a "make install" . As the "make
    > install" progresses, checkinstall makes a note of what files are added
    > to the system, and where they were written, creates a spec file and then
    > builds a binary RPM package.

    `sudo /usr/sbin/checkinstall` will also work. Understand that
    checkinstall by default will just make the RPM. What you also want is to
    be able to install and re-install stuff with YaST or smart or whatever.

    By default the RPM will go to /usr/src/packages/RPMS/*/. That is also
    the best place to put your downloaded RPMs. To make YaST understand what
    can be installed, you need to run `createrepo /usr/src/packages/RPMS/`
    (or sudo createrepo if you have no rights there yet)

    Now add /usr/src/packages/RPMS/ as an installation source.

    So the process is:
    ../configure
    make
    checkinstall
    createrepo /usr/src/packages/RPMS/
    yast - rpmname

    Easy to put in a script:
    #!/bin/bash
    ../configure
    make
    sudo checkinstall --pkgname=$1
    sudo /usr/sbin/createrepo /usr/src/packages/RPMS/
    sudo /sbin/yast2 -i $1

    You can delete the yast2 line if you add auto install to thechekinstall
    line. With the createrepo line, and the fact that you placed ALL your
    downloaded RPMs in /usr/src/packages/RPMS/*/ you can easily turn that
    into a neat repository for yourself.

    Another way and much better, because it will benefit not only you, but
    th rest of the worl, is to make an account on the build service and
    build not only for openSUSE, but other distro's as well. That will need
    RPM knowledge however.

    > The last time I looked at checkinstall, it was okay for simple package,
    > ones that installed maybe a few binary files and some docs, but it
    > wasn't any good when installing libraries.

    I just had problems with perl libraries.

    houghi
    --
    We all came out to Montreux Frank Zappa and the Mothers
    On the Lake Geneva shoreline Were at the best place around
    To make records with a mobile But some stupid with a flare gun
    We didn't have much time Burned the place to the ground

  13. Re: Install from .tar.gz

    David Bolt wrote:

    > All the more reason to look and see if a spec file is inside the
    > archive. If there is, it makes removing the packages a lot easier than
    > if you use the make/make install.

    I'm writing programs since 40 years now, and I think that I can find
    spec files in archives of every kind.

    It's nice how you all are kidding, but that doesn't help anybody :-(

    DoDi

  14. Re: Install from .tar.gz

    Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:
    > David Bolt wrote:
    >
    >> All the more reason to look and see if a spec file is inside the
    >> archive. If there is, it makes removing the packages a lot easier than
    >> if you use the make/make install.

    > I'm writing programs since 40 years now, and I think that I can find
    > spec files in archives of every kind.
    >
    > It's nice how you all are kidding, but that doesn't help anybody :-(

    The questions you asked are more from someone who just stared compiling,
    let alone programming. Hence the answers in that directions.

    So the answer to you first question is:
    createrepo (Can't believe you have not used that in 40 years of
    programming)

    houghi
    --
    We all came out to Montreux Frank Zappa and the Mothers
    On the Lake Geneva shoreline Were at the best place around
    To make records with a mobile But some stupid with a flare gun
    We didn't have much time Burned the place to the ground

  15. Re: Install from .tar.gz

    houghi wrote:

    > Even if you have already done a `make install` you can still do a
    > checkinstall, (force-)install the rpm and then remove it easily as the
    > RPM will overwrite whatever you have made.

    Okay, now I have an idea what it should do :-)

    Unfortunately something went wrong with my system. I had installed
    checkinstall as root, but couldn't use it as a normal user, even if the
    permissions are okay. Something with "need SetUID"...
    When I tried to uninstall and install again from my user account, YaST
    doesn't start up any more, "su error" :-(

    I'll play around myself more, but perhaps you have an idea what might be
    wrong?

    DoDi

  16. Re: Install from .tar.gz

    houghi wrote:

    > Read the documentation. /usr/share/doc/packages/checkinstall/*
    > createrepo /usr/src/packages/RPMS/

    [...]

    Thanks for all :-)

    > Another way and much better, because it will benefit not only you, but
    > th rest of the worl, is to make an account on the build service and
    > build not only for openSUSE, but other distro's as well. That will need
    > RPM knowledge however.

    This was my initial idea, to create an RPM for "ordinary" installation.
    Some years ago I already wrote my own RPM manager, but never created a
    single RPM myself.

    >>The last time I looked at checkinstall, it was okay for simple package,
    >>ones that installed maybe a few binary files and some docs, but it
    >>wasn't any good when installing libraries.

    I don't like the whole Make thing, and C as well. IMO it should be
    easier to create programs or libraries, from simple descriptions like
    automake uses (*.am). FreePascal demonstrates how easy it can be, to
    manage and quickly build portable projects. Perhaps I'll continue with
    my CtoPascal converter, which already works fine for raw translation.
    Appropriate analysis and handling of the #defines must follow, so that
    not all macros simply are expanded, as cpp does. Most problems with C
    and Make result from the lack of abstraction in the source and command
    files, everything is boiled down to *how* things should be done,
    effectively obscuring *what* should be done. But that's another story...

    > I just had problems with perl libraries.

    With Lazarus I suspect problems with the fpc. checkinstall didn't
    succed, where a simple "make install" works fine.

    At least now I know about checkinstall, perhaps it will be more helpful
    with other (C/gcc based) projects.

    DoDi

  17. Re: Install from .tar.gz

    Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:
    > houghi wrote:
    >
    >> Even if you have already done a `make install` you can still do a
    >> checkinstall, (force-)install the rpm and then remove it easily as the
    >> RPM will overwrite whatever you have made.

    > Okay, now I have an idea what it should do :-)
    >
    > Unfortunately something went wrong with my system. I had installed
    > checkinstall as root, but couldn't use it as a normal user, even if the
    > permissions are okay. Something with "need SetUID"...
    > When I tried to uninstall and install again from my user account, YaST
    > doesn't start up any more, "su error" :-(
    >
    > I'll play around myself more, but perhaps you have an idea what might be
    > wrong?

    Install it with YaST. You need to run it as root.

    houghi
    --
    We all came out to Montreux Frank Zappa and the Mothers
    On the Lake Geneva shoreline Were at the best place around
    To make records with a mobile But some stupid with a flare gun
    We didn't have much time Burned the place to the ground

  18. Re: Install from .tar.gz

    houghi wrote:

    > The questions you asked are more from someone who just stared compiling,
    > let alone programming. Hence the answers in that directions.

    Well, I'm still searching for a pleasant development environment for
    Unix&Co. Such distributed systems are hard to use without a fast
    Internet connection. So I'm still a bloody newbie with Linux, I prefer
    to use somewhat simpler and more comfortable systems and tools ;-)
    [not that I'd call Windows simpler, oh NO ;-]

    > So the answer to you first question is:
    > createrepo (Can't believe you have not used that in 40 years of
    > programming)

    Perhaps I used it, in some of my first steps with Linux in SuSE 9.2. I
    simply wondered why the RPM tree was empty, even after installing RPM's.
    Searching in the SPECs would be much faster than starting YaST for
    software management all the time. It will take some more time until I
    have my own package management, that better fits my needs than the too
    basic RPM and the specialized and closed YaST2.

    BTW, for some reason I lost all the Internet based package source
    addresses. Can somebody give me the links, which I can enter in the
    package source manager?

    DoDi

  19. Re: Install from .tar.gz

    Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:
    > I don't like the whole Make thing, and C as well. IMO it should be
    > easier to create programs or libraries, from simple descriptions like
    > automake uses (*.am).

    Well, that is what the RPM files do for you. Not only do they build it,
    they also put it in a container. If you want to make *.deb and *.tgz
    packaes as well, you can go to the build service and let it do that for
    you.

    Extra advantage is that if you need libraries of whatever, they might
    even be already in the build service and you then can joust point to
    them and use those.

    Another advantage is that the rest of the world can enjoy your programs
    as well. It distributes them for you automagicaly.

    > At least now I know about checkinstall, perhaps it will be more helpful
    > with other (C/gcc based) projects.

    It is only adviced to use it on your own machine. If you want to
    distribute, you will need RPM.

    houghi
    --
    We all came out to Montreux Frank Zappa and the Mothers
    On the Lake Geneva shoreline Were at the best place around
    To make records with a mobile But some stupid with a flare gun
    We didn't have much time Burned the place to the ground

  20. Re: Install from .tar.gz

    Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:
    > Perhaps I used it, in some of my first steps with Linux in SuSE 9.2. I
    > simply wondered why the RPM tree was empty, even after installing RPM's.

    because you never put anything there. YaST makes it possible to place
    RPMs on different locations, like websites, CDs, NFS and wherever. It
    installes from that place. It does not copy something and then place it
    on the drive and theninstall it.

    Compare it with clicking on an EXE file where you can say 'Run remotely'
    for an installer.

    > Searching in the SPECs would be much faster than starting YaST for
    > software management all the time. It will take some more time until I
    > have my own package management, that better fits my needs than the too
    > basic RPM and the specialized and closed YaST2.

    Basic RPM? Have you even LOOKED at what is in repositories already? And
    what do you mean with 'closed YaST'?

    > BTW, for some reason I lost all the Internet based package source
    > addresses. Can somebody give me the links, which I can enter in the
    > package source manager?

    Not at my desk, so somebody else will post it.

    houghi