Weird add ons with a new 10.2 install - Suse

This is a discussion on Weird add ons with a new 10.2 install - Suse ; It's an older machine that has been running 10.2 for a while, but a 20G drive crapped, so I reconfigured the 40G for the new install. In that process I'm putting in MySQL to play with databases. One of the ...

  1. Weird add ons with a new 10.2 install

    It's an older machine that has been running 10.2 for a while, but a 20G
    drive crapped, so I reconfigured the 40G for the new install. In that
    process I'm putting in MySQL to play with databases. One of the books I've
    got recommended MySQL Administrator and MySQL Query Browser which are not
    on the 10.2 distro DVD, so I added packman and gwgd and both repo sources.
    And then added Administrator and Query Browser.

    Dependencies wanted something from the distro DVD. Without the DVD
    physically in place, it bitched and moaned even with the repo site fully
    accessible, until I put in the DVD. Is the repo site limited on packages?
    My understanding was that you do NOT need a DVD in place if you can access
    http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/10.2/repo/oss. Apparently you
    still need the DVD for at least one package, or there are still bugs. Yes,
    the system was updated fully just an hour before.

    I also read Novell's EULA (I call it that because it's as screwy and full of
    FUD as MS EULAs) which claims that Novell retains ALL IP rights, even if
    you add something. No matter what, they CANNOT have IP rights to generally
    distributed GNU/Linux, ONLY to the packages that they add, such as Yast.
    Even on packages they modify, like Mozilla, all rights still revert back to
    Mozilla by their own declarations on modifications.

    John

  2. Re: Weird add ons with a new 10.2 install

    John Bowling wrote:

    > One of the books I've
    > got recommended MySQL Administrator and MySQL Query Browser which are not
    > on the 10.2 distro DVD, so I added packman and gwgd and both repo sources.
    > And then added Administrator and Query Browser.
    >
    > Dependencies wanted something from the distro DVD. *Without the DVD
    > physically in place, it bitched and moaned even with the repo site fully
    > accessible, until I put in the DVD. *Is the repo site limited on packages?
    > My understanding was that you do NOT need a DVD in place if you can access
    > http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/10.2/repo/oss.

    Probably some package from:
    http://download.opensuse.org/distrib...2/repo/non-oss

    --