Suse Benefits? Which distro? - Suse

This is a discussion on Suse Benefits? Which distro? - Suse ; I can't tell you how much fun I've had using Live CD's, and also installing every now and then. Most of the distro's look fairly alike. Suse seems bulkier. What is special about OpenSuse? This would seem to be the ...

  1. Suse Benefits? Which distro?

    I can't tell you how much fun I've had using Live CD's, and also
    installing every now and then. Most of the distro's look fairly alike.
    Suse seems bulkier. What is special about OpenSuse? This would seem to be
    the place to ask the question. I love linux, but need to settle on a
    distribution. I also see that Linspire plans to include Suse in it's CNR
    support.

    -Pete

  2. Re: Suse Benefits? Which distro?

    Pete wrote:
    > I can't tell you how much fun I've had using Live CD's, and also
    > installing every now and then. Most of the distro's look fairly alike.
    > Suse seems bulkier. What is special about OpenSuse? This would seem to be
    > the place to ask the question. I love linux, but need to settle on a
    > distribution. I also see that Linspire plans to include Suse in it's CNR
    > support.

    openSUSE is indeed a bit bulkier if installed by default. At least at
    the moment. They are working very hard to make it leaner and that can be
    expected in 10.3.

    Yet let us talk about the present. What the advantages for me are with
    openSUSE is in the first place that it is pretty complete. As a beginner
    if you buy the boxed version, you get some good manuals with it. With
    the DVD or 6 CD's, you have already about 90% iof the software that you
    will ever use. (Adding Packman and Guru add another importand 5%)

    YaST lets you configure most of the things you might need to configure.

    houghi
    --
    Please go to : http://tinyurl.com/aqe6y (Google site)
    and vote for 'Default quoting of previous message in replies'
    > This was a broadcast from the netpolice.

  3. Re: Suse Benefits? Which distro?

    On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 10:53:52 +0200, houghi wrote:

    > Pete wrote:
    >> I can't tell you how much fun I've had using Live CD's, and also
    >> installing every now and then. Most of the distro's look fairly alike.
    >> Suse seems bulkier. What is special about OpenSuse? This would seem to be
    >> the place to ask the question. I love linux, but need to settle on a
    >> distribution. I also see that Linspire plans to include Suse in it's CNR
    >> support.

    > openSUSE is indeed a bit bulkier if installed by default. At least at
    > the moment. They are working very hard to make it leaner and that can be
    > expected in 10.3.
    >
    > Yet let us talk about the present. What the advantages for me are with
    > openSUSE is in the first place that it is pretty complete. As a beginner
    > if you buy the boxed version, you get some good manuals with it. With
    > the DVD or 6 CD's, you have already about 90% iof the software that you
    > will ever use. (Adding Packman and Guru add another importand 5%)
    >
    > YaST lets you configure most of the things you might need to configure.
    >

    > houghi

    Thanks for your response. I hope I get more also.
    Most distributions have something GUI that lets you add/remove software.
    Right now I'm using Debian. Who knows what's under the hood as they
    say.
    -Pete

  4. Re: Suse Benefits? Which distro?

    Pete wrote:
    > Thanks for your response. I hope I get more also.
    > Most distributions have something GUI that lets you add/remove software.

    yes, but YaST is not just an installer. It does much more then that.
    Also it is availble in CLI in the same layout, so when you connect to a
    machine with ssh, you still have the same look and feel (about) as you
    have with the GUI.

    houghi
    --
    Please go to : http://tinyurl.com/aqe6y (Google site)
    and vote for 'Default quoting of previous message in replies'
    > This was a broadcast from the netpolice.

  5. Re: Suse Benefits? Which distro?

    On Aug 18, 10:13 pm, Pete wrote:
    > I can't tell you how much fun I've had using Live CD's, and also
    > installing every now and then. Most of the distro's look fairly alike.
    > Suse seems bulkier. What is special about OpenSuse? This would seem to be
    > the place to ask the question. I love linux, but need to settle on a
    > distribution. I also see that Linspire plans to include Suse in it's CNR
    > support.
    >
    > -Pete

    Pete--this is 110% opinion, but it seems opensuse10.2 is approaching
    decency.

    I've installed earlier SuSEs, Debian, Mandrake, Corel (long time ago)
    and even failed at d-i-y but the only shortcoming i've had with the
    10.2 is that there is no Netware Client and even though they won't
    admit it it seems that after nine months of promises they are pushing
    people to use OES and virtual Netware without a client.

    10.2, YaST, KDE, Ffox, OpenOffice, subversion, apache, ruby-on-rails
    (and Windo$e for stock market utilities) are pretty much my world of
    wants -- maybe this will give you some perspective? The YaST updating
    is just totally first class.

    Btw -- even though novell seems to be quite a clunky organization, i
    have been using them since they started (back in the 80s) and they are
    always extremely forward-looking and innovative bringing out products
    1-2 years before redmond makes such things popular. Bleeding edge can
    be good and bad, but they seem to be improving SuSE since acquiring
    them, and i am going to stick with 'em.

    Start w/open 10.2, step up to SLED/SLES for customer deployments, and
    have fun.

  6. Re: Suse Benefits? Which distro?

    cbs wrote:
    > I've installed earlier SuSEs, Debian, Mandrake, Corel (long time ago)
    > and even failed at d-i-y but the only shortcoming i've had with the
    > 10.2 is that there is no Netware Client and even though they won't
    > admit it it seems that after nine months of promises they are pushing
    > people to use OES and virtual Netware without a client.

    As Netware is not included, including it is a new featur and therefore
    it will be very unlikely that it will ever be incuded in 10.2.

    What you can do (not tested or looked at) is find the Netware client for
    SLES or SLED for SUSE 10 and use that.

    > Start w/open 10.2, step up to SLED/SLES for customer deployments, and
    > have fun.

    SLES/D is great for companies. Especialy the fact that the OS will be
    maintained for 7 years is great. This means that your software outdates
    your hardware, Or in other words, each time you buy new hardware, you
    install the latest version. For most people and even small buinesses,
    openSUSE will do sufficient, if not better.

    houghi
    --
    Please go to : http://tinyurl.com/aqe6y (Google site)
    and vote for 'Default quoting of previous message in replies'
    > This was a broadcast from the netpolice.

  7. [OT] Fixing Google Groups (was: Suse Benefits? Which distro?)

    houghi :

    > Please go to : http://tinyurl.com/aqe6y (Google site)
    > and vote for 'Default quoting of previous message in replies'
    > This was a broadcast from the netpolice.

    FYI, that URL doesn't say what you think it says. It's the "Google
    Groups Help Center", and mentions nothing about fixing Google Gropers.
    It does mention http://groups.google.com/group/Google-Groups-Guide,
    which may have that buried in it somewhere (but I haven't looked for
    it). For now, I'm satisfied with just killing anything posted from GG,
    any followups to articles originating with GG, and complaining to my ISP.

    The crap landing in comp.os.linux.misc lately is atrocious. GG
    may one day facilitate that garbage Usenet-wide, and it must be
    stopped for Usenet to remain at all useful. $DEITY help IRC if Google
    invents Google-IRC. :-P

    For such an overall smart and useful company, Google sure pulls some
    world-class boners from time to time.

  8. Re: [OT] Fixing Google Groups (was: Suse Benefits? Which distro?)

    s. keeling wrote:
    > FYI, that URL doesn't say what you think it says. It's the "Google
    > Groups Help Center", and mentions nothing about fixing Google Gropers.
    > It does mention http://groups.google.com/group/Google-Groups-Guide,
    > which may have that buried in it somewhere (but I haven't looked for
    > it).

    Thanks. Apparently there were not enoyugh people to have the quoting
    added by default and the voting is over. I have changed my signuture and
    for the 19th of each month, it wil now be the one below.

    > For now, I'm satisfied with just killing anything posted from GG,
    > any followups to articles originating with GG, and complaining to my ISP.

    I have them at +1 and when they do not quote, I explein them how and
    what. Some people still do quote correctly.

    > The crap landing in comp.os.linux.misc lately is atrocious. GG
    > may one day facilitate that garbage Usenet-wide, and it must be
    > stopped for Usenet to remain at all useful. $DEITY help IRC if Google
    > invents Google-IRC. :-P

    They utterly killed the search facility. It is now not possible to find
    anything anymore in a reasonable way. What I would love them to do is
    the following:
    1) Bring back the Dejanews search and layout.
    2) Filter out websites that are just puting up webpages with Usenet
    content.

    > For such an overall smart and useful company, Google sure pulls some
    > world-class boners from time to time.

    It is after all a company. Strange that so many people believe their
    marketing slogan "Do no evil". Raping Usenet is pretty evil to me.

    houghi
    --
    I do not want life insurance.
    I want all people to be genuinely grieving when I die.

    houghi

  9. Re: Suse Benefits? Which distro?

    Pete wrote:
    > I can't tell you how much fun I've had using Live CD's, and also
    > installing every now and then. Most of the distro's look fairly alike.
    > Suse seems bulkier. What is special about OpenSuse? This would seem to be
    > the place to ask the question. I love linux, but need to settle on a
    > distribution. I also see that Linspire plans to include Suse in it's CNR
    > support.
    >
    > -Pete

    I can tell you what I think is special about openSUSE (using it since
    1997), but in the end it is up to you how you feel about it. Imho the
    benefits are in the 'long' history of the distribution, large base of
    real dedicated developers and users, strong community that is still
    growing after years, the way it is oriented to be used and a very solid
    and rich public informationbase of years about SuSE related context. It
    is also one of the few distributions with passion for interplatform use
    and transparancy. In general I admire it as a professional distribution
    with profesional users and community (professional attitude to make
    openSUSE and the community valuable for everybody). If I compare this to
    other renomated distributions or nowdays 'hypeded' distributions I can
    only see parts of this reflected there.

    Again, in the end it is about how you feel about it. Take a look at
    opensuse.org for the official community side, visit suse.com for the
    professional side of suse, review suse improvement at
    bugzilla.novell.com, watch the dedication of the official developers at
    http://ftp.suse.com/pub/people/, browse the official support section
    [1], read the mailinglists like this one and at
    http://lists.opensuse.org/, search the internet and last but not least:
    install it, use it, compare it to see if it fits your needs.
    S.

    [1]
    http://www.novell.com/support/browse...AC_SiteCentral

  10. Re: Suse Benefits? Which distro?

    Pete wrote:

    > I can't tell you how much fun I've had using Live CD's, and also
    > installing every now and then. Most of the distro's look fairly alike.
    > Suse seems bulkier. What is special about OpenSuse? This would seem to be
    > the place to ask the question. I love linux, but need to settle on a
    > distribution. I also see that Linspire plans to include Suse in it's CNR
    > support.
    >
    > -Pete

    YaST, YaST and YaST.

    e.g. I spent ages trying to get login authorisation using LDAP to work by
    hand. There's load of info about LDAP on the web but most of it is bent
    towards distributing address books and the like. I won't say the YaST
    system is absolutely straight forward but I've now got it working and using
    TLS. I still haven't got Ubunto to login though.

    Alan
    --
    email =~ s/nospam/fudokai/

  11. Re: Suse Benefits? Which distro?

    On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 12:20:06 +0100, ajp wrote:

    > Pete wrote:
    >
    >> I can't tell you how much fun I've had using Live CD's, and also
    >> installing every now and then. Most of the distro's look fairly alike.
    >> Suse seems bulkier. What is special about OpenSuse? This would seem to be
    >> the place to ask the question. I love linux, but need to settle on a
    >> distribution. I also see that Linspire plans to include Suse in it's CNR
    >> support.
    >>
    >> -Pete

    > YaST, YaST and YaST.
    >
    > e.g. I spent ages trying to get login authorisation using LDAP to work by
    > hand. There's load of info about LDAP on the web but most of it is bent
    > towards distributing address books and the like. I won't say the YaST
    > system is absolutely straight forward but I've now got it working and using
    > TLS. I still haven't got Ubunto to login though.
    >
    > Alan

    I assume I'll have to install YaST from the terminal? What is the command?
    -Pete
    (I have ordered the DVD)

  12. Re: Suse Benefits? Which distro?

    On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 02:34:05 +0200, noname wrote:

    > Pete wrote:
    >> I can't tell you how much fun I've had using Live CD's, and also
    >> installing every now and then. Most of the distro's look fairly alike.
    >> Suse seems bulkier. What is special about OpenSuse? This would seem to be
    >> the place to ask the question. I love linux, but need to settle on a
    >> distribution. I also see that Linspire plans to include Suse in it's CNR
    >> support.
    >>
    >> -Pete

    > I can tell you what I think is special about openSUSE (using it since
    > 1997), but in the end it is up to you how you feel about it. Imho the
    > benefits are in the 'long' history of the distribution, large base of
    > real dedicated developers and users, strong community that is still
    > growing after years, the way it is oriented to be used and a very solid
    > and rich public informationbase of years about SuSE related context. It
    > is also one of the few distributions with passion for interplatform use
    > and transparancy. In general I admire it as a professional distribution
    > with profesional users and community (professional attitude to make
    > openSUSE and the community valuable for everybody). If I compare this to
    > other renomated distributions or nowdays 'hypeded' distributions I can
    > only see parts of this reflected there.
    >
    > Again, in the end it is about how you feel about it. Take a look at
    > opensuse.org for the official community side, visit suse.com for the
    > professional side of suse, review suse improvement at
    > bugzilla.novell.com, watch the dedication of the official developers at
    > http://ftp.suse.com/pub/people/, browse the official support section
    > [1], read the mailinglists like this one and at
    > http://lists.opensuse.org/, search the internet and last but not least:
    > install it, use it, compare it to see if it fits your needs.
    > S.
    >
    > [1]
    > http://www.novell.com/support/browse...AC_SiteCentral

    Thanks for your well reasoned response.
    One of the MOST important things is to be able to install new software via
    the Internet. I guess that's YaST, but I don't know how to install it!
    -Pete

  13. Re: Suse Benefits? Which distro?

    On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 16:49:57 +0000, Pete wrote:

    > On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 02:34:05 +0200, noname wrote:
    >
    >> Pete wrote:
    >>> I can't tell you how much fun I've had using Live CD's, and also
    >>> installing every now and then. Most of the distro's look fairly alike.
    >>> Suse seems bulkier. What is special about OpenSuse? This would seem to be
    >>> the place to ask the question. I love linux, but need to settle on a
    >>> distribution. I also see that Linspire plans to include Suse in it's CNR
    >>> support.
    >>>
    >>> -Pete

    >> I can tell you what I think is special about openSUSE (using it since
    >> 1997), but in the end it is up to you how you feel about it. Imho the
    >> benefits are in the 'long' history of the distribution, large base of
    >> real dedicated developers and users, strong community that is still
    >> growing after years, the way it is oriented to be used and a very solid
    >> and rich public informationbase of years about SuSE related context. It
    >> is also one of the few distributions with passion for interplatform use
    >> and transparancy. In general I admire it as a professional distribution
    >> with profesional users and community (professional attitude to make
    >> openSUSE and the community valuable for everybody). If I compare this to
    >> other renomated distributions or nowdays 'hypeded' distributions I can
    >> only see parts of this reflected there.
    >>
    >> Again, in the end it is about how you feel about it. Take a look at
    >> opensuse.org for the official community side, visit suse.com for the
    >> professional side of suse, review suse improvement at
    >> bugzilla.novell.com, watch the dedication of the official developers at
    >> http://ftp.suse.com/pub/people/, browse the official support section
    >> [1], read the mailinglists like this one and at
    >> http://lists.opensuse.org/, search the internet and last but not least:
    >> install it, use it, compare it to see if it fits your needs.
    >> S.
    >>
    >> [1]
    >> http://www.novell.com/support/browse...AC_SiteCentral

    > Thanks for your well reasoned response.
    > One of the MOST important things is to be able to install new software via
    > the Internet. I guess that's YaST, but I don't know how to install it!
    > -Pete

    PS: SYNAPTIC comes preinstalled on debian based distros. It seems like
    YaST?

  14. Re: Suse Benefits? Which distro?

    Pete wrote:
    > I assume I'll have to install YaST from the terminal? What is the command?
    > -Pete
    > (I have ordered the DVD)

    No. YaST is the installer. It will install itself. NOT installing it
    will be harder to do (although not impossible). If you have orderd the
    DVD, then I asume you have orderd the boxed version tat comes with
    manuals. Just follow them and in the mean time, start reading
    opneSUSE.org

    houghi
    --
    We all came out to Montreux Frank Zappa and the Mothers
    On the Lake Geneva shoreline Were at the best place around

+ Reply to Thread