"xine was unable to initialize any audio drivers" - Suse

This is a discussion on "xine was unable to initialize any audio drivers" - Suse ; openSUSE 10.2 Worked well for almost one year, now suddenly started to give the above alarm when drying to start some soundfile in amarok, actually the alarm is shown already when GUI starts. As a root everything works but not ...

  1. "xine was unable to initialize any audio drivers"

    openSUSE 10.2

    Worked well for almost one year, now suddenly started to give the above
    alarm when drying to start some soundfile in amarok, actually the alarm is
    shown already when GUI starts.
    As a root everything works but not as a normal user. Tried to create a new
    user, same problem.
    Running 'alsaconf' helps for one session.

    Any remedy?

    Thanks
    Jouni

  2. Re: "xine was unable to initialize any audio drivers"

    Jouni wrote:

    > openSUSE 10.2
    >
    > Worked well for almost one year, now suddenly started to give the above
    > alarm when drying to start some soundfile in amarok, actually the alarm is
    > shown already when GUI starts.
    > As a root everything works but not as a normal user. Tried to create a new
    > user, same problem.
    > Running 'alsaconf' helps for one session.
    >
    > Any remedy?

    Device permissions set during a boot is possible problem.
    Have you tried to configure card using YaST?
    That should set proper access rights.

    --
    Regards,
    Rajko.

  3. Re: "xine was unable to initialize any audio drivers"

    Rajko M. wrote:

    > Jouni wrote:
    >
    >> openSUSE 10.2
    >>
    >> Worked well for almost one year, now suddenly started to give the above
    >> alarm when drying to start some soundfile in amarok, actually the alarm
    >> is shown already when GUI starts.
    >> As a root everything works but not as a normal user. Tried to create a
    >> new user, same problem.
    >> Running 'alsaconf' helps for one session.
    >>
    >> Any remedy?

    > Device permissions set during a boot is possible problem.
    > Have you tried to configure card using YaST?
    > That should set proper access rights.

    Worked right away!!

    Most obvious remedy, but didn't pop up in my mind.

    Thank you for the help,

    Jouni

  4. Re: "xine was unable to initialize any audio drivers"

    Jouni wrote:

    > Rajko M. wrote:
    >
    >> Jouni wrote:
    >>
    >>> openSUSE 10.2
    >>>
    >>> Worked well for almost one year, now suddenly started to give the above
    >>> alarm when drying to start some soundfile in amarok, actually the alarm
    >>> is shown already when GUI starts.
    >>> As a root everything works but not as a normal user. Tried to create a
    >>> new user, same problem.
    >>> Running 'alsaconf' helps for one session.
    >>>
    >>> Any remedy?

    >> Device permissions set during a boot is possible problem.
    >> Have you tried to configure card using YaST?
    >> That should set proper access rights.
    >>

    > Worked right away!!
    >
    > Most obvious remedy, but didn't pop up in my mind.
    >
    > Thank you for the help,

    You are welcome Jouni.

    YaST is designed for openSUSE so it will take care of all perks that are
    necessary. Alsaconf is general purpose tool that I use if YaST has
    problems, but than if it doesn't work well, as in your case, I have to read
    a lot to make it all right, and I'm inclined not to do so ;-)

    --
    Regards,
    Rajko.

  5. Re: "xine was unable to initialize any audio drivers"

    On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 22:56:15 +0300, Jouni typed this message:

    > openSUSE 10.2
    >
    > Worked well for almost one year, now suddenly started to give the above
    > alarm when drying to start some soundfile in amarok, actually the alarm
    > is shown already when GUI starts.
    > As a root everything works but not as a normal user. Tried to create a
    > new user, same problem.
    > Running 'alsaconf' helps for one session.
    >
    > Any remedy?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Jouni

    I've had similiar problems. When I close Kaffeine incorrectly it locks
    the audio, in FC if I enable sound events ESD it locks the audio and I
    have to manually kill the ESD to play sound or video files.

    # lsof -nl | grep snd

+ Reply to Thread