New different size HD for / - Suse

This is a discussion on New different size HD for / - Suse ; Hello, I of all people should not be asking this. :-D I have an 8GB HD that is starting to fail. I want to replace it with a huge 27GB HD. I know I could use `dd ...` however, I ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

  1. New different size HD for /

    Hello,

    I of all people should not be asking this. :-D

    I have an 8GB HD that is starting to fail. I want to replace it with a
    huge 27GB HD. I know I could use `dd ...` however, I do not want to have
    an 8GB partition. My intention is to have 2 13.5GB partitions (or 1 27GB
    partition)

    So there is the reason I can not use dd. I have found
    http://tinyurl.com/3xemc3 (dejanews) that says
    #v+
    1. Put your second disk in your PC (/dev/hdb)
    2. Make the same FS's as on your first disk
    3. Copy disk 1 to disk 2 with rsync utility (rsync --delete -rvaz
    ....etc.)
    4. stop the PC. Remove disk 1 and place disk 2 in the place of disk 1
    5. Boot from a prepared linux floppy or installation cd's
    6. Mount the disk and run lilo
    7. Boot the whole **** and it should run on your new disk
    #v-

    Can anybody tell me what step 3, the rsync should say? As this is /,
    wthout some partitions in /media and /home, I need /proc and /dev as
    well. Obviously all the symlinks and rights and what not.

    Basicaly a simple transfer of the data. I will be booting from a
    different HD, so no problems there.

    houghi
    --
    > Knock-knock.
    > Who's there?
    > Under the Patriot Act, we don't have to tell you that.

  2. Re: New different size HD for /

    houghi wrote:
    > Basicaly a simple transfer of the data. I will be booting from a
    > different HD, so no problems there.

    As alternatives, I have tried
    http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/imagel.html and that did not accept my
    arrows, so I was unable to go up and down in the selections.

    All the things I found with google were either /home (That is easy) or
    dd. I have also looked at http://www.acronis.com.

    However I believe the rsync is better. I just am overwelmed with all
    the possible parameters with rsync.

    houghi
    --
    > Knock-knock.
    > Who's there?
    > Under the Patriot Act, we don't have to tell you that.

  3. Re: New different size HD for /

    houghi schreef:

    > 3. Copy disk 1 to disk 2 with rsync utility (rsync --delete -rvaz
    >
    > Can anybody tell me what step 3, the rsync should say? As this is /,
    > wthout some partitions in /media and /home, I need /proc and /dev as
    > well. Obviously all the symlinks and rights and what not.

    I'm missing the -l option with rsync, that will copy symlinks as symlinks.
    man rsync and search for symlink by pressing the / key.

    There is more to keep rights and such, unless somebody else explains it
    first i'll tell you later i have to go know.

    But in the mean time do man rsync, it's realy not that hard to understand.

    I use: rsync -avptgoHq --delete-excluded to make backups
    Obviously you do not need the --delete-excluded option, that option will
    delete files that are on the backup and not on the source.
    I guess all you need is to add the l option to copy symlinks.

    Now i realy have to go :-)

    --
    Chris Maaskant

  4. Re: New different size HD for /

    houghi wrote:
    > All the things I found with google were either /home (That is easy) or
    > dd. I have also looked at http://www.acronis.com.

    The reason that did not work was because it needed an X enviroment and I
    need to do things most likely in init 1.

    houghi
    --
    > Knock-knock.
    > Who's there?
    > Under the Patriot Act, we don't have to tell you that.

  5. Re: New different size HD for /

    Chris Maaskant wrote:
    > houghi schreef:
    >

    >> 3. Copy disk 1 to disk 2 with rsync utility (rsync --delete -rvaz
    >>
    >> Can anybody tell me what step 3, the rsync should say? As this is /,
    >> wthout some partitions in /media and /home, I need /proc and /dev as
    >> well. Obviously all the symlinks and rights and what not.

    > I'm missing the -l option with rsync, that will copy symlinks as symlinks.
    > man rsync and search for symlink by pressing the / key.
    >
    > There is more to keep rights and such, unless somebody else explains it
    > first i'll tell you later i have to go know.

    Hope somebody will.

    > But in the mean time do man rsync, it's realy not that hard to understand.

    I did and I get confused by man pages. (Not just this one) There are so
    many things to select from that I have no idea what to pick an what not.
    Some real life examples from the man page:
    -c, --checksum skip based on checksum, not mod-time & size
    Do I need that or is it better NOT to have it?
    -D is that something I need or not?

    I could go through all of the options and ask wether I need it or not.

    > I use: rsync -avptgoHq --delete-excluded to make backups

    Well, I do not want to make a backup. :-D I want to move a partition. As
    that is something different, it is most likely that I need different
    choices as well. ;-)

    > Obviously you do not need the --delete-excluded option, that option will
    > delete files that are on the backup and not on the source.
    > I guess all you need is to add the l option to copy symlinks.

    You sure? I also do not understand the --delete-excluded option. If it
    is not on the backup and not on the source, what the hell is it going to
    delete?

    houghi
    --
    > Knock-knock.
    > Who's there?
    > Under the Patriot Act, we don't have to tell you that.

  6. Re: New different size HD for /

    On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 11:04:49 +0200, houghi wrote:

    > I of all people should not be asking this. :-D

    > I have an 8GB HD that is starting to fail. I want to replace it with a
    > huge 27GB HD. I know I could use `dd ...` however, I do not want to have
    > an 8GB partition. My intention is to have 2 13.5GB partitions (or 1 27GB
    > partition)

    > So there is the reason I can not use dd. I have found
    > http://tinyurl.com/3xemc3 (dejanews) that says #v+
    > 1. Put your second disk in your PC (/dev/hdb) 2. Make the same FS's as on
    > your first disk 3. Copy disk 1 to disk 2 with rsync utility (rsync
    > --delete -rvaz ...etc.)

    http://freshmeat.net/projects/gparted/

    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  7. Re: New different size HD for /

    houghi schreef:

    > Chris Maaskant wrote:
    >> houghi schreef:

    >> But in the mean time do man rsync, it's realy not that hard to
    >> understand.

    > I did and I get confused by man pages. (Not just this one) There are so
    > many things to select from that I have no idea what to pick an what not.
    > Some real life examples from the man page:
    > -c, --checksum skip based on checksum, not mod-time & size
    > Do I need that or is it better NOT to have it?
    > -D is that something I need or not?

    I just used the options i did understand, but i wasn't moving a root
    partition :-/

    > I could go through all of the options and ask wether I need it or not.
    >
    >> I use: rsync -avptgoHq --delete-excluded to make backups

    > Well, I do not want to make a backup. :-D I want to move a partition. As
    > that is something different, it is most likely that I need different
    > choices as well. ;-)

    Yes i think so too, the options i use to make a backup makes a backup of all
    the files with it's permissions and ownerships.
    The only 'odd' files i can think of are symlinks.
    Man rsync said that the l option "copy symlinks as symlinks" so i gues that
    will take care of the symlinks, not sure tough, and i gues you'll want to
    be sure :-)

    >> Obviously you do not need the --delete-excluded option, that option will
    >> delete files that are on the backup and not on the source.
    >> I guess all you need is to add the l option to copy symlinks.

    > You sure? I also do not understand the --delete-excluded option. If it
    > is not on the backup and not on the source, what the hell is it going to
    > delete?

    If you have file A B and C on the source and you make a backup like i do
    you'll get file A B and C on the backup drive.

    If you later remove file B from the source and also modify file A and you
    make a backup again, the --delete-excluded option will backup A and C but
    also remove file B on the backup.

    Without the --delete-excluded option file B will remain on the backup and
    only modified files will be backed up, in this case only file A.

    Anyway, Ron Gibson suggested Gparted wich according to it's website can copy
    partitions.
    Gparted is only a frontend to the commandline tool parted so you can use it
    in runlevel 1.
    Onother option would be to use knoppix if you want to use the GUI version so
    that you'll be sure you don't make any typo's.
    --
    Chris Maaskant

  8. Re: New different size HD for /

    Chris Maaskant schreef:

    > Man rsync said that the l option "copy symlinks as symlinks" so i gues
    > that will take care of the symlinks, not sure tough,

    tough?? i ment though :-)
    --
    Chris Maaskant

  9. Re: New different size HD for /

    houghi wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I of all people should not be asking this. :-D
    >
    > I have an 8GB HD that is starting to fail. I want to replace it with a
    > huge 27GB HD. I know I could use `dd ...` however, I do not want to have
    > an 8GB partition. My intention is to have 2 13.5GB partitions (or 1 27GB
    > partition)

    Use dd to copy partition as is to new drive. Use gparted to extend/make
    new partition(s) as desired.

    Here's the live CD:

    http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

    --
    Virg Wall

  10. Re: New different size HD for /

    Chris Maaskant wrote:
    > Chris Maaskant schreef:
    >
    >> Man rsync said that the l option "copy symlinks as symlinks" so i gues
    >> that will take care of the symlinks, not sure tough,

    > tough?? i ment though :-)

    Yeah. Stoopid furreighn language. :-D

    Engelsen zijn gek. Ze zeggen striet, ze schrijven street, maar ze
    bedoelen straat. (Leuker als je het uitspreekt)

    houghi
    --
    > Knock-knock.
    > Who's there?
    > Under the Patriot Act, we don't have to tell you that.

  11. Re: New different size HD for /

    Ron Gibson wrote:
    > http://freshmeat.net/projects/gparted/

    Does not work. I can not umount /. From
    http://gparted.sourceforge.net/larry/move/move.htm
    If you run GParted from a running system, you can't work on THIS system.

    I have no empty disk available, so running some live CD is not an
    option. Also no second PC at hand.

    I have tried http://www.togaware.com/linux/surviv...rade_Hard.html and it
    did not work. Can't boot. Either I just see GRUB, or GRUB GRUB GRUB
    GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB
    GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB
    GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB
    GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB [...]

    houghi
    --
    > Knock-knock.
    > Who's there?
    > Under the Patriot Act, we don't have to tell you that.

  12. Re: New different size HD for /

    On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 15:16:46 +0200, Chris Maaskant wrote:

    > Anyway, Ron Gibson suggested Gparted which according to it's website
    > can copy partitions.

    Yes indeed and resize them also. I mentioned below I prefer Partition
    Magic. The only reason why is can precisely control the resizing
    operation but with Gparted it might make the copy to free space a
    cylinder larger than needed. But that's no big deal if you have plenty
    of space on the target and you can size it down for those of us with OCD.

    > Gparted is only a frontend to the commandline tool parted so you can use
    > it in runlevel 1.

    The boot disk is nice as it runs independently. I don't understand why
    he says that won't work. Simply boot the CD and copy away to your hearts
    content.

    If one doesn't want to use that or dd then look at this option...

    cp -ax

    This works perfectly but is slow - not as slow as dd.

    I dunno why a gparted CD won't work. Hell even guys in the W2K newsgroup
    use it. I've done several operation with it but prefer Drive Image and
    Partition Magic.

    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  13. Re: New different size HD for /

    On Sat, 18 Aug 2007, houghi wrote:-

    >3. Copy disk 1 to disk 2 with rsync utility (rsync --delete -rvaz
    >...etc.)

    rsync -avHxS /path/to/old/root/filesystem /path/to/new/root/filesystem

    -a archive, recurse directories, copies sym-links as sym-links,
    keeps permissions, keeps times, keeps group ownership, keeps user
    ownership, copies devices;
    -v verbose, not strictly needed, but useful to see what's going on;
    -H preserves hard links;
    -x don't cross file-system boundaries, so stays only on / and not
    any others;
    -S just in case you have any sparse files, probably not required
    but there just in case;

    If the new / file system is an empty partition, there's no need for the
    --delete, as there's nothing to delete. OTOH, if it isn't empty, (and
    why isn't it!?!) using the --delete will remove any files and
    directories that aren't present on the old / file system.

    Also, something I didn't see mentioned, make sure the partitions are
    correct in /etc/fstab and /boot/grub/menu.lst , and that the devices are
    correctly identified in /boot/grub/devices.map .

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    --
    Member of Team Acorn checking nodes at 100 Mnodes/s: www.distributed.net
    RISC OS 3.11 | SUSE 10.0 32bit | SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit

  14. Re: New different size HD for /

    houghi wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I of all people should not be asking this. :-D
    >
    > I have an 8GB HD that is starting to fail. I want to replace it with a
    > huge 27GB HD. I know I could use `dd ...` however, I do not want to have
    > an 8GB partition. My intention is to have 2 13.5GB partitions (or 1 27GB
    > partition)

    You already have got almost all the options that I also would have
    recommended. But there's one more:

    http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootitng.html

    Last time I copied with that (still do now and then) it booted from a
    floppy. Now, of course, you don't have a floppy?

    Vahis
    --
    "Only wimps use tape backup: _real_ men just upload their important
    stuff on ftp, and let the rest of the world mirror it "

  15. Re: New different size HD for /

    Vahis wrote:
    > houghi wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I of all people should not be asking this. :-D
    >>
    >> I have an 8GB HD that is starting to fail. I want to replace it with a
    >> huge 27GB HD. I know I could use `dd ...` however, I do not want to have
    >> an 8GB partition. My intention is to have 2 13.5GB partitions (or 1 27GB
    >> partition)

    > You already have got almost all the options that I also would have
    > recommended. But there's one more:
    >
    > http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootitng.html
    >
    > Last time I copied with that (still do now and then) it booted from a
    > floppy. Now, of course, you don't have a floppy?
    >
    > Vahis

    One more thing:
    Don't install it.
    When that is suggested click cancel and you will be working in
    maintenance mode. That works really well

    Vahis
    --
    "Only wimps use tape backup: _real_ men just upload their important
    stuff on ftp, and let the rest of the world mirror it "
    Linus Torvalds 1996.

  16. Re: New different size HD for /

    Ron Gibson wrote:
    > The boot disk is nice as it runs independently. I don't understand why
    > he says that won't work. Simply boot the CD and copy away to your hearts
    > content.

    So where does this CD come from?

    > If one doesn't want to use that or dd then look at this option...
    >
    > cp -ax
    >
    > This works perfectly but is slow - not as slow as dd.

    OK, I just seem to have some problems with grub.

    > I dunno why a gparted CD won't work. Hell even guys in the W2K newsgroup
    > use it. I've done several operation with it but prefer Drive Image and
    > Partition Magic.

    It doesn't work, because I do not have a CD to boot from.

    houghi
    --
    > Knock-knock.
    > Who's there?
    > Under the Patriot Act, we don't have to tell you that.

  17. Re: New different size HD for /

    houghi wrote:
    > Ron Gibson wrote:
    >> The boot disk is nice as it runs independently. I don't understand why
    >> he says that won't work. Simply boot the CD and copy away to your hearts
    >> content.

    > So where does this CD come from?

    http://gparted.sourceforge.net/

    >> If one doesn't want to use that or dd then look at this option...
    >>
    >> cp -ax
    >>
    >> This works perfectly but is slow - not as slow as dd.

    > OK, I just seem to have some problems with grub.
    >
    >> I dunno why a gparted CD won't work. Hell even guys in the W2K newsgroup
    >> use it. I've done several operation with it but prefer Drive Image and
    >> Partition Magic.

    > It doesn't work, because I do not have a CD to boot from.

    http://gparted.sourceforge.net/

    Vahis
    --
    "Only wimps use tape backup: _real_ men just upload their important
    stuff on ftp, and let the rest of the world mirror it "
    Linus Torvalds 1996.

  18. Re: New different size HD for /

    On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 17:51:47 +0200, houghi wrote:

    > It doesn't work, because I do not have a CD to boot from.

    I'm not sure which you mean but either buy a CDROM drive or download
    this ISO and burn to CD...

    http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...43&package_id=
    173828

    or...

    http://tinyurl.com/rk4qp

    Or if you can't do that remove drive and get someone to attach your
    drives to their machine. Since you are adding a drive I would assume you
    can remove and add drives.

    And if you can't do any of that maybe it's time to take it to the shop.

    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  19. Re: New different size HD for /

    Vahis wrote:
    > Last time I copied with that (still do now and then) it booted from a
    > floppy. Now, of course, you don't have a floppy?

    Floppies enough, but a few weeks ago my floppy drive decided to stop
    working. :-/

    houghi
    --
    > Knock-knock.
    > Who's there?
    > Under the Patriot Act, we don't have to tell you that.

  20. Re: New different size HD for /

    David Bolt wrote:
    > On Sat, 18 Aug 2007, houghi wrote:-
    >

    >>3. Copy disk 1 to disk 2 with rsync utility (rsync --delete -rvaz
    >>...etc.)

    > rsync -avHxS /path/to/old/root/filesystem /path/to/new/root/filesystem
    >
    > -a archive, recurse directories, copies sym-links as sym-links,
    > keeps permissions, keeps times, keeps group ownership, keeps user
    > ownership, copies devices;
    > -v verbose, not strictly needed, but useful to see what's going on;
    > -H preserves hard links;
    > -x don't cross file-system boundaries, so stays only on / and not
    > any others;
    > -S just in case you have any sparse files, probably not required
    > but there just in case;

    OK. Will be back later after I tried it.

    > If the new / file system is an empty partition, there's no need for the
    > --delete, as there's nothing to delete. OTOH, if it isn't empty, (and
    > why isn't it!?!) using the --delete will remove any files and
    > directories that aren't present on the old / file system.

    Ah, that is what the --delete was for.

    > Also, something I didn't see mentioned, make sure the partitions are
    > correct in /etc/fstab and /boot/grub/menu.lst , and that the devices are
    > correctly identified in /boot/grub/devices.map .

    Yes.

    houghi