Editing init 6 - Suse

This is a discussion on Editing init 6 - Suse ; I would just like to know how to write a command into init 6. is it the same as if you were typing into a terminal? all I'm trying to do is have it empty the tmp folder. thank you, ...

  1. Editing init 6

    I would just like to know how to write a command into init 6. is it the same
    as if you were typing into a terminal?
    all I'm trying to do is have it empty the tmp folder.

    thank you, mike
    --
    Running SuSE 10.0 KDE 3.4.2 x86_64

  2. Re: Editing init 6

    Mike schrieb:

    > I would just like to know how to write a command into init 6. is it the
    > same as if you were typing into a terminal?
    > all I'm trying to do is have it empty the tmp folder.

    Is that for security issues? If yes, forget it -- this is fake security.
    Deleting a file does *not* delete its contents on disk.

    If you just want to delete /tmp to clean up the disk, consider to put /tmp
    on a tmpfs ramdisk. Tmpfs doesn't clutter up real RAM, as the blocks are
    swapped out when not needed => Another good use for your swap partition.

    http://lxr.linux.no/source/Documenta...tems/tmpfs.txt

    Kind regards

    Jan

  3. Re: Editing init 6

    Jan Kandziora wrote:

    > Mike schrieb:
    >
    >> I would just like to know how to write a command into init 6. is it the
    >> same as if you were typing into a terminal?
    >> all I'm trying to do is have it empty the tmp folder.
    >>

    > Is that for security issues? If yes, forget it -- this is fake security.
    > Deleting a file does *not* delete its contents on disk.

    Many a server has been recovered rather than lost and reinstalled because of
    that fact. But of cause if your servers are locked away then who is going
    to get your hard drive except those who have been given a key?

    Your servers are not out on the desk where everyone can get at them are
    they? Stuffed under the desk at the end of the office in the hopes that no
    one will notice it perhaps?

    I have come across enough of those to know that for many reading this, that
    is the case. The entire company's data can be carried out the door.

    If that had been the norm all of these years, UNIX/Linux could have made use
    of data wipes that have been available for both since the year dot. But,
    because you set your servers up in a place where there is no unauthorised
    access, you can take advantage of the fact that undelete is available, both
    for tracing rogue users who tried to cover their tracks and for recovering
    from volume problems.

    > If you just want to delete /tmp to clean up the disk, consider to put /tmp
    > on a tmpfs ramdisk. Tmpfs doesn't clutter up real RAM, as the blocks are
    > swapped out when not needed => Another good use for your swap partition.
    >
    > http://lxr.linux.no/source/Documenta...tems/tmpfs.txt

    This part I think is a good idea.

  4. Re: Editing init 6

    Jan Kandziora wrote:
    > If you just want to delete /tmp to clean up the disk, consider to put /tmp
    > on a tmpfs ramdisk. Tmpfs doesn't clutter up real RAM, as the blocks are
    > swapped out when not needed => Another good use for your swap partition.
    >
    > http://lxr.linux.no/source/Documenta...tems/tmpfs.txt

    Well, the disadvantage is that it can become full. With /tmp that does
    not happen as fast. YMMV.

    There is a program (forgot wich one) that does the cleanup of the /tmp,
    as just deleting things can also not be wise.

    houghi
    --
    > Beware of he who would deny you access to information, <
    > for in his heart he dreams himself your master. <
    > Commissioner Pravin Lal: "U.N. Declaration of Rights" <

  5. Re: Editing init 6

    BearItAll schrieb:

    > I have come across enough of those to know that for many reading this,
    > that is the case. The entire company's data can be carried out the door.

    Well, I take this as a backup for my position. Don't think about security if
    you are not serious about it.

    Fake security will just lead you into the land of tranquility, where
    crackers cannot harm you -- we know this is a fantasy country, but many
    other people are eager to get there. Millions of clueless computer users
    installing large piles of "security" software on their computers are the
    proof.

    Kind regards

    Jan

  6. Re: Editing init 6

    On Aug 16, 2:12 pm, Mike wrote:
    > I would just like to know how to write a command into init 6. is it the same
    > as if you were typing into a terminal?
    > all I'm trying to do is have it empty the tmp folder.
    >
    > thank you, mike
    > --
    > Running SuSE 10.0 KDE 3.4.2 x86_64

    Using YaST, system, /etc/sysconfig Editor
    Look at System and then Cron
    CLEAR_TMP_DIRS_AT_BOOTUP sounds like fun
    MAX_DAYS_IN_TMP would be an alternative

+ Reply to Thread