Updater broken - Suse

This is a discussion on Updater broken - Suse ; For a couple days now I get: Error: Couldn't restore source. Has the update source changed for Opensuse 10.2?...

  1. Updater broken

    For a couple days now I get: Error: Couldn't restore source. Has the
    update source changed for Opensuse 10.2?

  2. Re: Updater broken

    Rodney Kelp wrote:
    > For a couple days now I get: Error: Couldn't restore source. Has the
    > update source changed for Opensuse 10.2?

    Also,
    http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/openSUSE:/ only has updates
    for 10.3. What happened to 10.1 and 10.2?

  3. Re: Updater broken

    On 2007-08-16, Rodney Kelp wrote:
    > Rodney Kelp wrote:
    >> For a couple days now I get: Error: Couldn't restore source. Has the
    >> update source changed for Opensuse 10.2?

    > Also,
    > http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/openSUSE:/ only has updates
    > for 10.3. What happened to 10.1 and 10.2?

    They did not change, still listed in http://en.opensuse.org/Package_Repositories

    oss http://download.opensuse.org/distrib...10.2/repo/oss/
    non-oss: http://download.opensuse.org/distrib.../repo/non-oss/
    updates: http://download.suse.com/update/10.2/

    kind regards,
    Andreas

  4. Re: Updater broken

    Andreas Stieger wrote:
    > On 2007-08-16, Rodney Kelp wrote:
    >> Rodney Kelp wrote:
    >>> For a couple days now I get: Error: Couldn't restore source. Has the
    >>> update source changed for Opensuse 10.2?

    >> Also,
    >> http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/openSUSE:/ only has updates
    >> for 10.3. What happened to 10.1 and 10.2?

    > They did not change, still listed in http://en.opensuse.org/Package_Repositories
    >
    > oss http://download.opensuse.org/distrib...10.2/repo/oss/
    > non-oss: http://download.opensuse.org/distrib.../repo/non-oss/
    > updates: http://download.suse.com/update/10.2/

    Yet they obviously messed up the web server:

    mymachine: # zypper up -y -t patch
    Restoring system sources...
    Please insert media [File /repodata/repomd.xml not found on media:
    http://software.opensuse.org/downloa...openSUSE_10.2/
    ] # 1. Retry [y/n]:
    I/O error: Can't provide /repodata/repomd.xml from
    http://software.opensuse.org/downloa...openSUSE_10.2/
    (A)bort, (R)etry, (I)gnore?
    I/O error: Can't provide /repodata/repomd.xml from
    http://software.opensuse.org/downloa...openSUSE_10.2/
    Failed to restore sources
    mymachine: # exit

    mymachine: # zypper sl
    # | Enabled | Refresh | Type | Name
    | URI
    --+---------+---------+------+---------------------------------------------------------------------+-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [...]
    7 | Yes | Yes | YUM |
    http://software.opensuse.org/downloa...openSUSE_10.2/ |
    http://software.opensuse.org/downloa...openSUSE_10.2/

    As I can't delete the non-existing source with 'zypper sd 7' I had to do
    it manually on all machines. What a PITA. The correct URL seems to be:

    I most probably will switch so the smart updater on all machines. At
    least this doesn't charge the systems with 100% CPU load in case
    something fails. It is much faster also.

    GŁnther

  5. Re: Updater broken

    On 2007-08-16, Guenther Schwarz wrote:
    > As I can't delete the non-existing source with 'zypper sd 7' I had to do
    > it manually on all machines. What a PITA. The correct URL seems to be:

    Well yeah that changed, but that's a build service repository.
    Using this implies you can handle it. ;-) (and know how to delete w/o refresh)

    kind regards,
    Andreas

  6. Re: Updater broken

    On 2007-08-16, Guenther Schwarz wrote:
    > http://software.opensuse.org/downloa...openSUSE_10.2/ |
    > http://software.opensuse.org/downloa...openSUSE_10.2/

    Well basically, as OpenOffice.org 2.3 is due in september this year,
    the old 2.2 line was put into STABLE and the 2.2.99 (2.3 pre release builds)
    builds started in unstable. I have updated the wiki to show the correct paths:

    http://en.opensuse.org/Additional_Ya...ice.org_STABLE

    kind regards,
    Andreas

  7. Re: zypper updater (Was: Updater broken)

    Andreas Stieger wrote:
    > On 2007-08-16, Guenther Schwarz wrote:
    >> As I can't delete the non-existing source with 'zypper sd 7' I had to do
    >> it manually on all machines. What a PITA. The correct URL seems to be:
    >>

    > Well yeah that changed, but that's a build service repository.
    > Using this implies you can handle it. ;-) (and know how to delete w/o refresh)

    I have no idea how and when that repository was introduced on our
    system. But the more severe problem is that instead of simply dying with
    an error message zypper behaves nasty in case something is wrong on the
    repository servers or simply if one of them is temporarily not
    available. This makes our users come to my office complaining about
    their machines running slowly with the cooling fan turning like mad ;-)
    I'm also missing a simple way to synchronize the update channels on all
    machines like the /etc/apt/sources.list on Debian systems. It is slow to
    the extreme also. All this makes me want to get rid of zypper. As far as
    I can see SuSE simply does not offer an update tool suitable for the
    remote administration of more than just a few computers. IMO the weakest
    point of this distribution.

    GŁnther

  8. Re: zypper updater (Was: Updater broken)

    Hello,

    On 2007-08-16, Guenther Schwarz wrote:
    > But the more severe problem is that instead of simply dying with
    > an error message zypper behaves nasty in case something is wrong on the
    > repository servers or simply if one of them is temporarily not
    > available. This makes our users come to my office complaining about
    > their machines running slowly with the cooling fan turning like mad ;-)

    Please file a bug report about that. I think this issue is being adressed
    in 10.3 development, but it always help to get end user scenarios.

    > I'm also missing a simple way to synchronize the update channels on all
    > machines like the /etc/apt/sources.list on Debian systems.

    That would definately be worth filing an improvement bug. I've seen hints,
    though...

    > It is slow to the extreme also.

    That issue has been adressed in 10.3, you may want to check out the beta
    to see how it workds out for you.

    > All this makes me want to get rid of zypper. As far as
    > I can see SuSE simply does not offer an update tool suitable for the
    > remote administration of more than just a few computers. IMO the weakest
    > point of this distribution.

    Well Novell has a product in place for enterprise software management.
    As for openSUSE being a community project, feel free to write experiences,
    or even contribute code. Anyway with those kind of bugs filed in bugzilla,
    as opposed to be lost in off project support, people will take care of this.

    kind regards,
    Andreas

  9. Re: zypper updater (Was: Updater broken)

    Andreas Stieger wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > On 2007-08-16, Guenther Schwarz wrote:
    >> But the more severe problem is that instead of simply dying with
    >> an error message zypper behaves nasty in case something is wrong on the
    >> repository servers or simply if one of them is temporarily not
    >> available. This makes our users come to my office complaining about
    >> their machines running slowly with the cooling fan turning like mad ;-)

    > Please file a bug report about that.

    Please see below.

    >> It is slow to the extreme also.

    > That issue has been adressed in 10.3, you may want to check out the beta
    > to see how it workds out for you.

    We just updated to 10.2 a few months ago. We won't do another upgrade
    soon. Sorry, but if I want to spend time on testing something, I'd
    rather try a Debian based distribution like Kubuntu.

    >> All this makes me want to get rid of zypper. As far as
    >> I can see SuSE simply does not offer an update tool suitable for the
    >> remote administration of more than just a few computers. IMO the weakest
    >> point of this distribution.

    > Well Novell has a product in place for enterprise software management.

    ? We have OES running. Patching it with rug is a PITA also, sorry.

    > As for openSUSE being a community project, feel free to write experiences,
    > or even contribute code. Anyway with those kind of bugs filed in bugzilla,
    > as opposed to be lost in off project support, people will take care of this.

    Novell does not seem to be interested in improvements:

    (This is basically my problem: zypper not giving up if a channel is not
    reachable)

    No useful comments or advice in neither of these entries. Why should I
    report a bug if the maintainers are not interested in the user experiences?

    Sorry again if this posting appears to be bad tempered and emotional. We
    have been running SuSE since 6.0 or something and are basically happy
    with it. Otherwise we would have given up a long time ago. But with a
    steadily increasing number of systems automatic and remote management of
    machines gets more and more important. SuSE is not strong in this
    respect releasing buggy update tools and putting emphasis on stand alone
    GUI solutions rather than management by shell commands and configuration
    files which I can edit or distribute with my configuration engine.

    GŁnther

  10. Re: zypper updater (Was: Updater broken)

    Guenther Schwarz wrote:

    > Sorry again if this posting appears to be bad tempered and emotional. We
    > have been running SuSE since 6.0 or something and are basically happy
    > with it. Otherwise we would have given up a long time ago. But with a
    > steadily increasing number of systems automatic and remote management of
    > machines gets more and more important. SuSE is not strong in this
    > respect releasing buggy update tools and putting emphasis on stand alone
    > GUI solutions rather than management by shell commands and configuration
    > files which I can edit or distribute with my configuration engine.

    I'm sure many others share this sentiment. SUSE is a great distribution,
    but the slowness, poor reliability and complexity of the online update
    solution since 10.1 makes switching to another distro a no-brainer in my
    opinion. Ubuntu's apt system is just so extremely painless and fast in
    comparison.

    I am sad to say that I still prefer SUSE in nearly every other respect.

    Niel

  11. Re: zypper updater

    Niel Lambrechts wrote:

    > Guenther Schwarz wrote:
    >
    >> Sorry again if this posting appears to be bad tempered and emotional.
    >> We have been running SuSE since 6.0 or something and are basically
    >> happy with it. Otherwise we would have given up a long time ago. But
    >> with a steadily increasing number of systems automatic and remote
    >> management of machines gets more and more important. SuSE is not
    >> strong in this respect releasing buggy update tools and putting
    >> emphasis on stand alone GUI solutions rather than management by shell
    >> commands and configuration files which I can edit or distribute with
    >> my configuration engine.

    > I'm sure many others share this sentiment. SUSE is a great
    > distribution, but the slowness, poor reliability and complexity of the
    > online update solution since 10.1 makes switching to another distro a
    > no-brainer in my opinion. Ubuntu's apt system is just so extremely
    > painless and fast in comparison.
    >
    > I am sad to say that I still prefer SUSE in nearly every other
    > respect.

    I nearly finished now the migration to the smart update tool. No
    problems found until now. I still have to write a simple script that
    sends me mail on upgrades like cron-apt does. Also smart does not
    support delayed execution so that not all machines start the update
    process simultaneously. But that is a no-brainer if one simply uses the
    random number generator $RANDOM of a shell. Still much less work than
    reinstalling all systems with another distribution. So I'll stay with
    OpenSuSE 10.2 and hope for the best as far as following releases are
    concerned.

    G√ľnther

+ Reply to Thread