FSTAB - Suse

This is a discussion on FSTAB - Suse ; When my SUSE system boots up and processes fstab it cannot find partitions hde1 and hdg1 to mount them. I believe that this is because the the fstab is being processed before hde1 and hdg1 are "discovered". Is this correct ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: FSTAB

  1. FSTAB

    When my SUSE system boots up and processes fstab it cannot find
    partitions hde1 and hdg1 to mount them.

    I believe that this is because the the fstab is being processed before
    hde1 and hdg1 are "discovered". Is this correct and is there anyway
    round this?


  2. Re: FSTAB

    Leigh wrote:
    > When my SUSE system boots up and processes fstab it cannot find
    > partitions hde1 and hdg1 to mount them.
    >
    > I believe that this is because the the fstab is being processed before
    > hde1 and hdg1 are "discovered". Is this correct and is there anyway
    > round this?


    I have an e-h drive and it is during the booting, so before fstab is
    read that the drives are recognised. However booting can only be done
    from IDE a-d, so that is the MBR you need to use.

    houghi
    --
    > Beware of he who would deny you access to information, <
    > for in his heart he dreams himself your master. <
    > Commissioner Pravin Lal: "U.N. Declaration of Rights" <


  3. Re: FSTAB

    On 15 Aug, 16:54, houghi wrote:
    > Leigh wrote:
    > > When my SUSE system boots up and processes fstab it cannot find
    > > partitions hde1 and hdg1 to mount them.

    >
    > > I believe that this is because the the fstab is being processed before
    > > hde1 and hdg1 are "discovered". Is this correct and is there anyway
    > > round this?

    >
    > I have an e-h drive and it is during the booting, so before fstab is
    > read that the drives are recognised. However booting can only be done
    > from IDE a-d, so that is the MBR you need to use.
    >
    > houghi
    > --
    >
    >
    >
    > > Beware of he who would deny you access to information, <
    > > for in his heart he dreams himself your master. <
    > > Commissioner Pravin Lal: "U.N. Declaration of Rights" <- Hide quoted text -

    >
    > - Show quoted text -


    I don't need it to boot from any of these extra IDE drives but it
    would be nice to know why fstab didn't work.

    If I let the system boot to completion I can then manually mount the
    disks fine.


  4. Re: FSTAB

    Leigh wrote:
    > I don't need it to boot from any of these extra IDE drives but it
    > would be nice to know why fstab didn't work.


    Well, it isn't fstab itself that is wrong.

    > If I let the system boot to completion I can then manually mount the
    > disks fine.


    Happens here without any problem.

    As I have prooven here, I am clearvoyant. I just want to see if you are
    to. Can you guess what I am wanting to ask? I see, with my clearvoyance
    that some know what my question is going to be.


    houghi
    --
    > Beware of he who would deny you access to information, <
    > for in his heart he dreams himself your master. <
    > Commissioner Pravin Lal: "U.N. Declaration of Rights" <


  5. Re: FSTAB

    On 15 Aug, 18:16, houghi wrote:
    > Leigh wrote:
    > > I don't need it to boot from any of these extra IDE drives but it
    > > would be nice to know why fstab didn't work.

    >
    > Well, it isn't fstab itself that is wrong.
    >
    > > If I let the system boot to completion I can then manually mount the
    > > disks fine.

    >
    > Happens here without any problem.
    >
    > As I have prooven here, I am clearvoyant. I just want to see if you are
    > to. Can you guess what I am wanting to ask? I see, with my clearvoyance
    > that some know what my question is going to be.
    >
    > houghi
    > --
    >
    >
    >
    > > Beware of he who would deny you access to information, <
    > > for in his heart he dreams himself your master. <
    > > Commissioner Pravin Lal: "U.N. Declaration of Rights" <- Hide quoted text -

    >
    > - Show quoted text -


    You'll have to humour me. The entry in fstab is set for auto and the
    mount points are OK. When I do the manual mount I select,cut and paste
    from fstab as a check.

    When it flashes past on booting I seem to remember saying that it
    couldn't find the devices hence my original question. However I
    couldn't square it because it seems pointless especially if there's
    loads of scsi disks dangling off it that can't mount any of them.


  6. Re: FSTAB

    On Wed, 15 Aug 2007, Leigh wrote:-



    >You'll have to humour me. The entry in fstab is set for auto and the
    >mount points are OK. When I do the manual mount I select,cut and paste
    >from fstab as a check.


    I already have a damn good idea what the problem is[0], and it's nothing
    to do with /etc/fstab .

    >When it flashes past on booting I seem to remember saying that it
    >couldn't find the devices hence my original question. However I
    >couldn't square it because it seems pointless especially if there's
    >loads of scsi disks dangling off it that can't mount any of them.


    What have SCSI drives got to do with anything? You're trying to get hde1
    and hdg1 mounted at boot not at some later point, and hde1 and hdg1 are
    on an add-on IDE card, not an SCSI or SATA card.

    Now, your problem is caused by the add-on card needing a kernel module
    loading for it to access the drives attached to the card and they
    haven't been included in the modules included in initrd. What you need
    to do is identify the module(s) required to use the card and add them to
    the initrd.

    You can find out the modules by checking which module(s) are loaded when
    you mount the file systems. Do that by using the command

    lsmod >modules.1.txt

    then mount the file system(s) and then using:

    lsmod >modules.2.txt

    Then all you need to do is compare the before and after modules list to
    see which one is added.

    Alternatively, you could try using Google and searching for

    $MAKE_AND_MODEL_OF_CARD Linux kernel module

    and see if someone else has had a similar problem and found out which
    module is required.

    You can do the latter part by starting up YaST and using the option
    System -> /etc/sysconfig Editor and then using editing the modules in
    System -> Kernel -> INITRD_MODULES to include the required modules.


    [0] I had a similar problem with an add-on SATA card. The modules
    weren't being loaded during the initial boot so the mounting the file
    systems always failed. Mounting them from a console always worked and,
    after finally getting bothered enough to sort it out, all it took was
    the addition of "sata_via" to the initrd kernel modules list.

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    --
    Member of Team Acorn checking nodes at 100 Mnodes/s: www.distributed.net
    RISC OS 3.11 | SUSE 10.0 32bit | SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit
    RISC OS 3.6 | SUSE 10.0 64bit | SUSE 10.1 64bit | openSUSE 10.2 64bit
    TOS 4.02 | SUSE 9.3 32bit | | openSUSE 10.3a6 32bit

  7. Re: FSTAB

    David Bolt wrote:

    > On Wed, 15 Aug 2007, Leigh wrote:-
    >
    >
    >
    >>You'll have to humour me. The entry in fstab is set for auto and the
    >>mount points are OK. When I do the manual mount I select,cut and paste
    >>from fstab as a check.

    >
    > I already have a damn good idea what the problem is[0], and it's nothing
    > to do with /etc/fstab .
    >
    >>When it flashes past on booting I seem to remember saying that it
    >>couldn't find the devices hence my original question. However I
    >>couldn't square it because it seems pointless especially if there's
    >>loads of scsi disks dangling off it that can't mount any of them.

    >
    > What have SCSI drives got to do with anything? You're trying to get hde1
    > and hdg1 mounted at boot not at some later point, and hde1 and hdg1 are
    > on an add-on IDE card, not an SCSI or SATA card.
    >
    > Now, your problem is caused by the add-on card needing a kernel module
    > loading for it to access the drives attached to the card and they
    > haven't been included in the modules included in initrd. What you need
    > to do is identify the module(s) required to use the card and add them to
    > the initrd.
    >
    > You can find out the modules by checking which module(s) are loaded when
    > you mount the file systems. Do that by using the command
    >
    > lsmod >modules.1.txt
    >
    > then mount the file system(s) and then using:
    >
    > lsmod >modules.2.txt
    >
    > Then all you need to do is compare the before and after modules list to
    > see which one is added.
    >
    > Alternatively, you could try using Google and searching for
    >
    > $MAKE_AND_MODEL_OF_CARD Linux kernel module
    >
    > and see if someone else has had a similar problem and found out which
    > module is required.
    >
    > You can do the latter part by starting up YaST and using the option
    > System -> /etc/sysconfig Editor and then using editing the modules in
    > System -> Kernel -> INITRD_MODULES to include the required modules.
    >
    >
    > [0] I had a similar problem with an add-on SATA card. The modules
    > weren't being loaded during the initial boot so the mounting the file
    > systems always failed. Mounting them from a console always worked and,
    > after finally getting bothered enough to sort it out, all it took was
    > the addition of "sata_via" to the initrd kernel modules list.
    >
    > Regards,
    > David Bolt
    >


    Ok, if that's the proper way for the boot sequence to go when a device is
    not ready, why does it abort out of booting when hdc is disconnected but is
    in fstab? I have mounted extra disks and forgotten to remove them, and had
    to manually edit fstab at a low runlevel cause it wouldn't complete.

    I would expect not having access to drives because of hardware (and/or
    driver) to cause the same problem. If not, why not? And if Linux is smart
    enough to know it will have future access, why can't it see the mount error
    of a missing hdc, stop trying and continue?

    John

  8. Re: FSTAB

    On Wed, 15 Aug 2007, John Bowling wrote:-



    >Ok, if that's the proper way for the boot sequence to go when a device is
    >not ready, why does it abort out of booting when hdc is disconnected but is
    >in fstab?


    The only time I've had the system fail to boot due to a missing file
    system was when the missing file system wasn't really missing but was
    corrupted and wasn't able to be mounted.

    >I have mounted extra disks and forgotten to remove them, and had
    >to manually edit fstab at a low runlevel cause it wouldn't complete.


    If you've had to edit the fstab to remove them, that's purely because
    you've added them to the fstab, either using the YaST partitioner or by
    editing fstab directly. Just mounting a file system doesn't get it added
    to the fstab.

    >I would expect not having access to drives because of hardware (and/or
    >driver) to cause the same problem. If not, why not? And if Linux is smart
    >enough to know it will have future access, why can't it see the mount error
    >of a missing hdc, stop trying and continue?


    I don't have that problem[0], and didn't even with the SATA drives
    before adding the kernel module to the initrd. All that happened was the
    kernel failed to mount the file systems on those drives because it
    didn't see those drives during the boot sequence. It wasn't until after
    the system had finished the initial stage of booting that it was able to
    load the correct module. Before that, it only had the modules inside the
    initrd, not those listed in the /etc/modprobe.conf file, so didn't know
    what to load.

    I'm sure by now you don't need the "we can't see what you can see"
    paragraph, so I'll skip that. However, the "provide as much info as
    possible" part of it still needs to be said so, maybe you could actually
    show the relevant bits of the fstab showing just what partitions on
    /dev/hdc were supposed to be mounted, and where about they should have
    been mounted. And the error message you get when trying to boot without
    /dev/hdc would be useful too.


    [0] except when a file system is corrupted and fails to mount, then it
    usually asks me to run a manual fsck on that file system.

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    --
    Member of Team Acorn checking nodes at 100 Mnodes/s: www.distributed.net
    RISC OS 3.11 | SUSE 10.0 32bit | SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit
    RISC OS 3.6 | SUSE 10.0 64bit | SUSE 10.1 64bit | openSUSE 10.2 64bit
    TOS 4.02 | SUSE 9.3 32bit | | openSUSE 10.3a6 32bit

  9. Re: FSTAB

    Leigh wrote:
    > You'll have to humour me. The entry in fstab is set for auto and the
    > mount points are OK. When I do the manual mount I select,cut and paste
    > from fstab as a check.


    Humour us with details. There is no guarantee that a line in some file
    has the same influence before and after a boot.

    houghi
    --
    > Beware of he who would deny you access to information, <
    > for in his heart he dreams himself your master. <
    > Commissioner Pravin Lal: "U.N. Declaration of Rights" <


  10. Re: FSTAB

    David Bolt wrote:
    > I'm sure by now you don't need the "we can't see what you can see"
    > paragraph, so I'll skip that. However, the "provide as much info as
    > possible" part of it still needs to be said so, maybe you could actually
    > show the relevant bits of the fstab showing just what partitions on
    > /dev/hdc were supposed to be mounted, and where about they should have
    > been mounted. And the error message you get when trying to boot without
    > /dev/hdc would be useful too.


    You are a spoilsport. :-/

    houghi
    --
    > Beware of he who would deny you access to information, <
    > for in his heart he dreams himself your master. <
    > Commissioner Pravin Lal: "U.N. Declaration of Rights" <


  11. Re: FSTAB

    In <4h3MTNE$nGxGFwuv@dev.null.davjam.org> David Bolt:

    [Snip...]

    > The only time I've had the system fail to boot due to a missing file
    > system was when the missing file system wasn't really missing but was
    > corrupted and wasn't able to be mounted.


    FWIW...

    I had a similar problem on a FreeBSD 6.2 install with a second disk (data
    storage) which happened to be ext2 (a previous Linux install).

    FreeBSD was very happy to mount the disk ext2, and so I added it manually
    to fstab. But on boot, it pitched a fit with that disk. Seems fstab asked
    for a fsck on that ext2 disk, but the install didn't include the fsck for
    ext2--I couldn't find ext2 fsck anywhere on the FreeBSD CDs (AFAICT).

    I didn't want to waste time chasing down the FreeBSD ext2 fsck code for a
    data disk with (basically) nothing of value on it. So I reformatted it as
    a native FreeBSD filesystem, and everybody went away happy.

    --
    Regards, Weird (Harold Stevens) * IMPORTANT EMAIL INFO FOLLOWS *
    Pardon any bogus email addresses (wookie) in place for spambots.
    Really, it's (wyrd) at airmail, dotted with net. DO NOT SPAM IT.
    Kids jumping ship? Looking to hire an old-school type? Email me.

  12. Re: FSTAB

    On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 02:12:20 +0100, David Bolt wrote:

    > Now, your problem is caused by the add-on card needing a kernel module
    > loading for it to access the drives attached to the card and they haven't
    > been included in the modules included in initrd. What you need to do is
    > identify the module(s) required to use the card and add them to the
    > initrd.


    Either that or he's trying to mount a file system that there isn't a
    module for in initrd at boot up.

    > lsmod >modules.1.txt


    > then mount the file system(s) and then using:


    > lsmod >modules.2.txt


    Works for file systems too. A Knoppix CD is good for this also.

    I never have this problem as I don't use initrd's and compile all I
    need to boot in the kernel.

    --
    Linux Help: http://rsgibson.com/linux.htm
    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net


  13. Re: FSTAB

    On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 21:34:04 -0700, John Bowling wrote:

    > Ok, if that's the proper way for the boot sequence to go when a device
    > is
    > not ready, why does it abort out of booting when hdc is disconnected but
    > is in fstab? I have mounted extra disks and forgotten to remove them, and
    > had to manually edit fstab at a low runlevel cause it wouldn't complete.
    >
    > I would expect not having access to drives because of hardware (and/or
    > driver) to cause the same problem. If not, why not? And if Linux is
    > smart enough to know it will have future access, why can't it see the
    > mount error of a missing hdc, stop trying and continue?


    Because you have not set it up properly and actually, IMO, if you want
    lines in FSTAB for optionally mounting removable media you need to use
    the "noauto" flag like so...

    dev/hdg5 /disk2/D vfat noauto,rw 1 0



    --
    Linux Help: http://rsgibson.com/linux.htm
    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net


  14. Re: FSTAB

    On Thu, 16 Aug 2007, houghi wrote:-



    >You are a spoilsport. :-/


    Only part time though :-)


    Regards,
    David Bolt

    --
    Member of Team Acorn checking nodes at 100 Mnodes/s: www.distributed.net
    RISC OS 3.11 | SUSE 10.0 32bit | SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit
    RISC OS 3.6 | SUSE 10.0 64bit | SUSE 10.1 64bit | openSUSE 10.2 64bit
    TOS 4.02 | SUSE 9.3 32bit | | openSUSE 10.3a6 32bit

  15. Re: FSTAB

    On Thu, 16 Aug 2007, Harold Stevens wrote:-



    >FreeBSD was very happy to mount the disk ext2, and so I added it manually
    >to fstab. But on boot, it pitched a fit with that disk. Seems fstab asked
    >for a fsck on that ext2 disk, but the install didn't include the fsck for
    >ext2--I couldn't find ext2 fsck anywhere on the FreeBSD CDs (AFAICT).


    The only "problem" I have with ext2/3 file systems and its requirement
    to do a file system check after x mounts or y days. It's not a major
    problem, and can be remedied using tune2fs, but I can see it causing
    some aggravation if you don't have e2fsck installed.

    >I didn't want to waste time chasing down the FreeBSD ext2 fsck code for a
    >data disk with (basically) nothing of value on it. So I reformatted it as
    >a native FreeBSD filesystem, and everybody went away happy.


    That's all that counts


    Regards,
    David Bolt

    --
    Member of Team Acorn checking nodes at 100 Mnodes/s: www.distributed.net
    RISC OS 3.11 | SUSE 10.0 32bit | SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit
    RISC OS 3.6 | SUSE 10.0 64bit | SUSE 10.1 64bit | openSUSE 10.2 64bit
    TOS 4.02 | SUSE 9.3 32bit | | openSUSE 10.3a6 32bit

  16. Re: FSTAB

    On Thu, 16 Aug 2007, Ron Gibson wrote:-

    >On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 02:12:20 +0100, David Bolt wrote:
    >
    >> Now, your problem is caused by the add-on card needing a kernel module
    >> loading for it to access the drives attached to the card and they haven't
    >> been included in the modules included in initrd. What you need to do is
    >> identify the module(s) required to use the card and add them to the
    >> initrd.

    >
    >Either that or he's trying to mount a file system that there isn't a
    >module for in initrd at boot up.


    I could have sworn that's what I said :-)

    >> lsmod >modules.1.txt

    >
    >> then mount the file system(s) and then using:

    >
    >> lsmod >modules.2.txt

    >
    >Works for file systems too. A Knoppix CD is good for this also.


    Yep. Any live CD should be able to give you the required info.

    >I never have this problem as I don't use initrd's and compile all I
    >need to boot in the kernel.


    I used to recompile my kernels to include the modules I needed, rather
    than have them as modules loaded from the initrd. I gave up after a
    while, IIRC it was sometime during the lifetime of the SuSE-supplied
    2.2.x kernels, because I didn't really gain anything except a monolithic
    kernel that loaded a little quicker, and also meant I had to recompile
    it if/when I migrated the installation onto newer hardware.


    Regards,
    David Bolt

    --
    Member of Team Acorn checking nodes at 100 Mnodes/s: www.distributed.net
    RISC OS 3.11 | SUSE 10.0 32bit | SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit
    RISC OS 3.6 | SUSE 10.0 64bit | SUSE 10.1 64bit | openSUSE 10.2 64bit
    TOS 4.02 | SUSE 9.3 32bit | | openSUSE 10.3a6 32bit

  17. Re: FSTAB

    On Thu, 16 Aug 2007, Ron Gibson wrote:-

    >On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 21:34:04 -0700, John Bowling wrote:


    >> I would expect not having access to drives because of hardware (and/or
    >> driver) to cause the same problem. If not, why not? And if Linux is
    >> smart enough to know it will have future access, why can't it see the
    >> mount error of a missing hdc, stop trying and continue?

    >
    >Because you have not set it up properly and actually, IMO, if you want
    >lines in FSTAB for optionally mounting removable media you need to use
    >the "noauto" flag like so...
    >
    >dev/hdg5 /disk2/D vfat noauto,rw 1 0

    ^^^^^
    Add a ",user" there and all would be well with the
    world^w^w^w^w^w^w^wthen it can be mounted by a normal user.


    Regards,
    David Bolt

    --
    Member of Team Acorn checking nodes at 100 Mnodes/s: www.distributed.net
    RISC OS 3.11 | SUSE 10.0 32bit | SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit
    RISC OS 3.6 | SUSE 10.0 64bit | SUSE 10.1 64bit | openSUSE 10.2 64bit
    TOS 4.02 | SUSE 9.3 32bit | | openSUSE 10.3a6 32bit

+ Reply to Thread