    TIA

    Guy

  2. Re: Linux + MS Outlook server

    On 2007-08-15, Bigguy wrote:

    > Is Linux (particularly openSuSe 10.2) able to talk to an Outlook server
    > and send / retrieve mail?

    It's called an Exchange server. Search that name, in combination with suse
    and you should find something.

    > If so via what app' and how?

    Never tried it myself. But I read somewhere that there's some plugin that
    will get you connected to the Exchange server. Might be specific to a single
    email program. What's the name again, in KDE? Not kmail, but the one that
    also manages a calendar/planning. kmail is actually part of it.

    > I'm using Thunderbird for my POP accounts but cannot access our Outlook
    > server... (other than via OWA using http).

    You might have to switch away from Thunderbird.

    Sorry I have no details ready-made.

    Douglas Adams

  3. Re: Linux + MS Outlook server

    Bigguy wrote:
    > Hi All
    >
    > Is Linux (particularly openSuSe 10.2) able to talk to an Outlook server
    > and send / retrieve mail?
    >
    > If so via what app' and how?
    >
    > I'm using Thunderbird for my POP accounts but cannot access our Outlook
    > server... (other than via OWA using http).

    The best bet is via a website. The company I work for also has this and
    that is what I use.

    houghi
    --
    > Beware of he who would deny you access to information, <
    > for in his heart he dreams himself your master. <
    > Commissioner Pravin Lal: "U.N. Declaration of Rights" <

  4. Re: Linux + MS Outlook server

    In Rikishi 42:

    [Snip...]

    > It's called an Exchange server. Search that name, in combination with suse
    > and you should find something.

    FWIW...

    I searched google.com/linux with kontact+outlook+server and hit this:

    http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/9357

    Dunno if there's a SuSE package for it (I don't do anything M$ myself).

    HTH...

  5. Re: Linux + MS Outlook server

    On Aug 15, 9:51 am, Bigguy wrote:
    > Hi All
    >
    > Is Linux (particularly openSuSe 10.2) able to talk to an Outlook server
    > and send / retrieve mail?
    >
    > If so via what app' and how?
    >
    > I'm using Thunderbird for my POP accounts but cannot access our Outlook
    > server... (other than via OWA using http).
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Guy

    Try Evolution with the Exchange plugin - developed by Novell. That is
    what I use. I can't find the info on how to get it set up - but there
    are several articles about it.

  6. Re: Linux + MS Outlook server

    Bigguy wrote:
    > Hi All
    >
    > Is Linux (particularly openSuSe 10.2) able to talk to an Outlook server
    > and send / retrieve mail?
    >
    > If so via what app' and how?

    Since you are running OWA on your Exchange server, you can probably use
    Evolution and attach. However it is VERY buggy at best. Evolution
    crashes or behaves badly just doing normal stuff.. you may find
    that having "direct" access to Exchange a very high price to pay.

    > I'm using Thunderbird for my POP accounts but cannot access our Outlook
    > server... (other than via OWA using http).

    Current versions of Exchange do support pop (though I believe
    Microsoft is eliminating that feature shortly)... so if your security
    admins don't have a cow, you can pop from Exchange.

+ Reply to Thread