Changing video cards - Suse

This is a discussion on Changing video cards - Suse ; I have SuSE 10.1 on my computer, I want to change the ATI card to a Nvidia one what is the correct proceedure? I cangive more technical details of the cards if that makes any difference. Thanks...

  1. Changing video cards

    I have SuSE 10.1 on my computer, I want to change the ATI card to a Nvidia
    one what is the correct proceedure?

    I cangive more technical details of the cards if that makes any difference.

    Thanks

  2. Re: Changing video cards

    On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 16:18:22 +0100
    "David Hester" wrote:

    > I have SuSE 10.1 on my computer, I want to change the ATI card to a
    > Nvidia one what is the correct proceedure?
    >
    > I cangive more technical details of the cards if that makes any
    > difference.
    >
    > Thanks

    Hi
    Have a read here (I recommend the 'hard way')
    http://en.opensuse.org/Nvidia and/or
    http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/feature/17174.html
    to make sure you have all the correct dev tools etc installed. Printout
    the instructions you wish to use.

    Backup your /etc/X11/xorg.conf then edit it to change the driver module
    to nv.

    Shutdown you machine and replace the ATI card with nvidia check it's
    all seated etc and then reboot.

    At the grub menu drop to the CLI and enter 3 so you goto runlevel 3 or
    if it boots it may/may not give you a gui. Else as root user make sure
    you are at runlevel 3.

    Follow you printed instructions and enjoy the Nvidia card.

    Take the ATI card outside and smash it into little pieces with a large
    hammer ;-)

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)

  3. Re: Changing video cards

    On 2007-08-14, David Hester wrote:

    > I have SuSE 10.1 on my computer, I want to change the ATI card to a Nvidia
    > one what is the correct proceedure?
    >
    > I cangive more technical details of the cards if that makes any difference.

    If you want to use Yast/Sax:
    - change setup to VGA or low-res VESA
    - swap cards
    - install new card

    Douglas Adams

  4. Re: Changing video cards

    Malcolm wrote:

    > Take the ATI card outside and smash it into little pieces with a large
    > hammer ;-)

    So you hate ATI. I have 3 systems that have been running with Radion 9000
    agp boards - granted they started out as Win 2K systems - and one I also
    ran openSUSE 10.0, 10.1, and 10.2 on, without having to do anything beyond
    the default driver that was put in place by the installation procedure.

    On Linux, I had no need of the 3D (and I don't see why anyone does at this
    point - no intense games that I know of), but it worked fine with Win 2K.

    So why trash ATI - they cooperate with providing Linux drivers, which is
    something you CAN'T say about most vendors.

    John

  5. Re: Changing video cards

    John Bowling wrote:

    > On Linux, I had no need of the 3D (and I don't see why anyone does at this
    > point - no intense games that I know of), but it worked fine with Win 2K.

    3D is required for Google Earth and few games included in openSUSE.

    > So why trash ATI - they cooperate with providing Linux drivers, which is
    > something you CAN'T say about most vendors.

    They do, but with nvidia people had lesser problems, and by now almost no
    problems. The last surprize for me was GUI nvidia configuration utility.
    It is way more than ATI basic configuration that can't find size of the
    screen and opens oversized. The only way to stop it is from terminal. Not
    really friendly.

    The only graphic adapter that was installed, compiled etc, and than left me
    with blank screen and dead input devices was ATI X200 (laptop).
    Though, it works fine with Radeon driver, but than there is no Google Earth.

    With ATI some cards work, some not, a lot of problems with 3D that require
    more than basic knowledge to fix them.

    Thanks to nvidia support and fast response to problems, score in extra
    purchases is:
    ATI $ 0
    nVidia $200
    I don't count built in adapters, that are also nvidia since laptop problems
    learned me to avoid anything ATI.

    --
    Regards,
    Rajko.