How to move a Linux installation to another hard drive - Suse

This is a discussion on How to move a Linux installation to another hard drive - Suse ; Hello, I've been running OpenSuse for a couple of months and always found it quite slow. Now I think I've got my answer: I've installed the system on a very old IDE hard drive, which turns out to be 35% ...

  1. How to move a Linux installation to another hard drive

    Hello,

    I've been running OpenSuse for a couple of months and always found it quite
    slow. Now I think I've got my answer: I've installed the system on a very
    old IDE hard drive, which turns out to be 35% slower than my other SATA
    drives (as seen after some benchmarks).
    I couldn't get the distro installed on my SATA drives: grub refused to load
    when installed on any of my SATA hard drives (it started with an error). Of
    course the solution was to install grub on the IDE drive, but I didn't
    think of it at the time. Go figure !

    What I would like to do is to transfer my installation to another hard drive
    (a SATA drive actually) while keeping grub on the IDE drive.

    Is there a simple way to make a clean copy of my linux install while
    modifying grub automatically? I don't really want to have to reinstall the
    whole thing...

    Thank you,

    Jean

  2. Re: How to move a Linux installation to another hard drive

    On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 09:14:15 +0200, Jean Barloy wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I've been running OpenSuse for a couple of months and always found it quite
    > slow. Now I think I've got my answer: I've installed the system on a very
    > old IDE hard drive, which turns out to be 35% slower than my other SATA
    > drives (as seen after some benchmarks).
    > I couldn't get the distro installed on my SATA drives: grub refused to load
    > when installed on any of my SATA hard drives (it started with an error). Of
    > course the solution was to install grub on the IDE drive, but I didn't
    > think of it at the time. Go figure !
    >
    > What I would like to do is to transfer my installation to another hard drive
    > (a SATA drive actually) while keeping grub on the IDE drive.
    >
    > Is there a simple way to make a clean copy of my linux install while
    > modifying grub automatically? I don't really want to have to reinstall the
    > whole thing...

    Jean,

    Moving an install is pretty easy. I've done it a handful of times.
    You will have to change device names in
    /etc/fstab
    /boot/grub/menu.lst

    hda -> sda

    To move an exact image I use
    BootItNG from
    http://www.terabyteunlimited.com

    Download the 1.44MB image, burn it to Cd and bootup with it.
    Don't install BootItNG to your HD (its also a bootloader like grub), but
    run it in Maintenance mode. It can easily copy partitions on your IDE
    drive to free space on the SATA drive.

    After transferring the image, use some kind of live distro to install grub
    to your MBR. I use Knoppix and DSL for this. I have both installed on USB
    flash. If you have any latent errors in fstab or menu.lst they can be
    fixed while in the Live Linux session.

    Give yourself 1-2 hours to do the job the first time.
    Once you know what to do if you are lucky, it will be done in 30 minutes or
    less.

    --
    Mark

  3. Re: How to move a Linux installation to another hard drive

    Mark Pryor wrote:
    > On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 09:14:15 +0200, Jean Barloy wrote:
    >
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I've been running OpenSuse for a couple of months and always found it quite
    >> slow. Now I think I've got my answer: I've installed the system on a very
    >> old IDE hard drive, which turns out to be 35% slower than my other SATA
    >> drives (as seen after some benchmarks).
    >> I couldn't get the distro installed on my SATA drives: grub refused to load
    >> when installed on any of my SATA hard drives (it started with an error). Of
    >> course the solution was to install grub on the IDE drive, but I didn't
    >> think of it at the time. Go figure !
    >>
    >> What I would like to do is to transfer my installation to another hard drive
    >> (a SATA drive actually) while keeping grub on the IDE drive.
    >>
    >> Is there a simple way to make a clean copy of my linux install while
    >> modifying grub automatically? I don't really want to have to reinstall the
    >> whole thing...
    >>

    > Jean,
    >
    > Moving an install is pretty easy. I've done it a handful of times.
    > You will have to change device names in
    > /etc/fstab
    > /boot/grub/menu.lst
    >
    > hda -> sda
    >
    > To move an exact image I use
    > BootItNG from
    > http://www.terabyteunlimited.com
    >
    > Download the 1.44MB image, burn it to Cd and bootup with it.
    > Don't install BootItNG to your HD (its also a bootloader like grub), but
    > run it in Maintenance mode. It can easily copy partitions on your IDE
    > drive to free space on the SATA drive.
    >
    > After transferring the image, use some kind of live distro to install grub
    > to your MBR. I use Knoppix and DSL for this. I have both installed on USB
    > flash. If you have any latent errors in fstab or menu.lst they can be
    > fixed while in the Live Linux session.
    >
    > Give yourself 1-2 hours to do the job the first time.
    > Once you know what to do if you are lucky, it will be done in 30 minutes or
    > less.

    All the above is working, I have same experiences.
    One needs to careful not to install BootItNG, just click cancel and go
    to maintenance mode.

    I once installed it by accident. It works fine, nothing with that.
    But since it is a 30 day demo, it'll stop working and you're in trouble..

    I had helluva job to get rid of it...

    Another very good way to handle partitions is gparted.

    It's a live distro that can copy and move partitions easily with a GUI.

    http://gparted.sourceforge.net/

    Vahis
    --
    "Only wimps use tape backup: _real_ men just upload their important
    stuff on ftp, and let the rest of the world mirror it "

  4. Re: How to move a Linux installation to another hard drive

    Vahis wrote:

    > Mark Pryor wrote:
    >> On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 09:14:15 +0200, Jean Barloy wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hello,
    >>>
    >>> I've been running OpenSuse for a couple of months and always found it
    >>> quite slow. Now I think I've got my answer: I've installed the system on
    >>> a very old IDE hard drive, which turns out to be 35% slower than my
    >>> other SATA drives (as seen after some benchmarks).
    >>> I couldn't get the distro installed on my SATA drives: grub refused to
    >>> load when installed on any of my SATA hard drives (it started with an
    >>> error). Of course the solution was to install grub on the IDE drive, but
    >>> I didn't think of it at the time. Go figure !
    >>>
    >>> What I would like to do is to transfer my installation to another hard
    >>> drive (a SATA drive actually) while keeping grub on the IDE drive.
    >>>
    >>> Is there a simple way to make a clean copy of my linux install while
    >>> modifying grub automatically? I don't really want to have to reinstall
    >>> the whole thing...
    >>>

    >> Jean,
    >>
    >> Moving an install is pretty easy. I've done it a handful of times.
    >> You will have to change device names in
    >> /etc/fstab
    >> /boot/grub/menu.lst
    >>
    >> hda -> sda
    >>
    >> To move an exact image I use
    >> BootItNG from
    >> http://www.terabyteunlimited.com
    >>
    >> Download the 1.44MB image, burn it to Cd and bootup with it.
    >> Don't install BootItNG to your HD (its also a bootloader like grub), but
    >> run it in Maintenance mode. It can easily copy partitions on your IDE
    >> drive to free space on the SATA drive.
    >>
    >> After transferring the image, use some kind of live distro to install
    >> grub to your MBR. I use Knoppix and DSL for this. I have both installed
    >> on USB flash. If you have any latent errors in fstab or menu.lst they can
    >> be fixed while in the Live Linux session.
    >>
    >> Give yourself 1-2 hours to do the job the first time.
    >> Once you know what to do if you are lucky, it will be done in 30 minutes
    >> or less.
    >>

    > All the above is working, I have same experiences.
    > One needs to careful not to install BootItNG, just click cancel and go
    > to maintenance mode.
    >
    > I once installed it by accident. It works fine, nothing with that.
    > But since it is a 30 day demo, it'll stop working and you're in trouble..
    >
    > I had helluva job to get rid of it...
    >
    > Another very good way to handle partitions is gparted.
    >
    > It's a live distro that can copy and move partitions easily with a GUI.
    >
    > http://gparted.sourceforge.net/
    >
    > Vahis

    All of this is fine *IF* the driver for your sata interface chip is in the
    kernel of the system. If not, it will never work even after being moved.

    I have a system I'm running with IDEs with that exact problem - the 10.2
    installation would not work with the SiS965L and I have not seen anything
    yet that tells me it is the kernel for 10.3.

    So I just ordered 2-500G IDE drives for a DVR system rather than take a
    chance with potentially unusable sata drives. Unfortunatly, with the number
    of cameras it will have in the future, it needs the fastest disk I/O
    possible.

    John

+ Reply to Thread