How to provide login options in Grub - Suse

This is a discussion on How to provide login options in Grub - Suse ; My PC is set to boot Suse 10.2 or Ms XP. These appear as options on the Grub startup screen, and defaults to Suse KDE graphics screen (init 5) after a few seconds unless I select Ms. There are a ...

  1. How to provide login options in Grub

    My PC is set to boot Suse 10.2 or Ms XP. These appear as options on
    the Grub startup screen, and defaults to Suse KDE graphics screen
    (init 5) after a few seconds unless I select Ms.

    There are a number of services such as MySQL which are enabled because
    occasionally I need them, but most of the time they are unnecessary
    overhead. So I would like to have several options under the startup
    Grub screen to run with fewer services, such as:-

    1) Graphical Suse + all currently enabled services (as now)
    2) Graphical Suse + minimal services
    3) Console Suse (as init 3)
    4) Safe mode (as now)
    5) MS XP (as now)

    Any suggestions ?

    Thanks in advance, Ramiro

  2. Re: How to provide login options in Grub

    ramiro wrote:

    > My PC is set to boot Suse 10.2 or Ms XP. These appear as options on
    > the Grub startup screen, and defaults to Suse KDE graphics screen
    > (init 5) after a few seconds unless I select Ms.
    >
    > There are a number of services such as MySQL which are enabled because
    > occasionally I need them, but most of the time they are unnecessary
    > overhead. So I would like to have several options under the startup
    > Grub screen to run with fewer services, such as:-
    >
    > 1) Graphical Suse + all currently enabled services (as now)
    > 2) Graphical Suse + minimal services
    > 3) Console Suse (as init 3)
    > 4) Safe mode (as now)
    > 5) MS XP (as now)
    >
    > Any suggestions ?
    >
    > Thanks in advance, Ramiro

    Yast->System->Profile Manager

    --
    Chris

  3. Re: How to provide login options in Grub

    Chris wrote:

    > ramiro wrote:
    >
    >> My PC is set to boot Suse 10.2 or Ms XP. These appear as options on
    >> the Grub startup screen, and defaults to Suse KDE graphics screen
    >> (init 5) after a few seconds unless I select Ms.
    >>
    >> There are a number of services such as MySQL which are enabled
    >> because occasionally I need them, but most of the time they are
    >> unnecessary overhead. So I would like to have several options under
    >> the startup Grub screen to run with fewer services, such as:-
    >>
    >> 1) Graphical Suse + all currently enabled services (as now)
    >> 2) Graphical Suse + minimal services
    >> 3) Console Suse (as init 3)
    >> 4) Safe mode (as now)
    >> 5) MS XP (as now)
    >>
    >> Any suggestions ?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance, Ramiro

    > Yast->System->Profile Manager

    Thank you for the reply, I had missed the profiles manager in Yast.

    I tried Yast, but although it appears to save a profile, I cannot name
    it nor does it appear as a login option. I tried the comand line
    "scpm add profile " which allowed me to save named profiles but
    I still can't select them on start up.

    What I am doing wrong ?. Any pointers please ?. Thank you, Ramiro

+ Reply to Thread