LCD xorg.conf configuration - Suse

This is a discussion on LCD xorg.conf configuration - Suse ; SuSE 10.2 / Samsung SyncMaster 940B. I have 2 systems connected to monitor KB and mouse with KVM box. If I boot my SuSE system when the KVM is connected to other system (Debian) the resolution that the X-server comes ...

  1. LCD xorg.conf configuration

    SuSE 10.2 / Samsung SyncMaster 940B.
    I have 2 systems connected to monitor KB and mouse with KVM box.
    If I boot my SuSE system when the KVM is connected to other system
    (Debian) the resolution that the X-server comes up with is wrong and I am
    prompted by the monitor it should be 1280x1024 60Hz. Starting the X-server
    with Ctrl-Alt-BS corrects the problem. The Debian box does not do this and
    is using the same xorg.conf

    This is part of SuSE xorg.conf. Can some suggest anything ?? Thanks Bob.

    Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Monitor[0]"
    ModelName "Syncmaster 940B"
    Option "DPMS"
    Option "CalcAlgorithm" "CheckDesktopGeometry"
    VendorName "Samsung"
    HorizSync 30-81
    VertRefresh 56-75
    UseModes "Modes[0]"
    EndSection

    Section "Modes"
    Identifier "Modes[0]"
    ## 1024 X 768 60Hz
    ## Modeline "1024x768" 61.89 1024 1080 1184 1344 768 769 772 794
    +hsync +vsync
    ## 1280 X 1024 60Hz
    Modeline "1280x1024" 108.00 1280 1344 1456 1688 1024 1025 1025 1028
    +hsync +vsync
    EndSection

    Section "Screen"
    DefaultDepth 24
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 15
    Modes "1024x768"
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 16
    Modes "1024x768"
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 24
    Modes "1280x1024"
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 8
    Modes "1024x768"
    EndSubSection
    Device "Device[0]"
    Identifier "Screen[0]"
    Monitor "Monitor[0]"
    EndSection

  2. Re: LCD xorg.conf configuration

    Bob Hyam wrote:

    > SuSE 10.2 / Samsung SyncMaster 940B.
    > I have 2 systems connected to monitor KB and mouse with KVM box.
    > If I boot my SuSE system when the KVM is connected to other system
    > (Debian) the resolution that the X-server comes up with is wrong and I am
    > prompted by the monitor it should be 1280x1024 60Hz. Starting the X-server
    > with Ctrl-Alt-BS corrects the problem. The Debian box does not do this and
    > is using the same xorg.conf
    >
    > This is part of SuSE xorg.conf. Can some suggest anything ?? Thanks Bob.
    >
    > Section "Monitor"
    > Identifier "Monitor[0]"
    > ModelName "Syncmaster 940B"
    > Option "DPMS"
    > Option "CalcAlgorithm" "CheckDesktopGeometry"

    Try to comment out above line, like this:
    # Option "CalcAlgorithm" "CheckDesktopGeometry"
    I guess it will make trouble if monitor is not present when X server is
    looking for it to ask for available modes. You can see in
    /var/log/Xorg.0.log
    what happened, You should look log that was created before restart with
    Ctrl-Alt-BS. Switch to text mode with Ctrl-Alt-F1 and save log in your home
    directory.

    --
    Regards,
    Rajko.

  3. Re: LCD xorg.conf configuration

    On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 22:19:53 +0000, Bob Hyam typed this message:

    > SuSE 10.2 / Samsung SyncMaster 940B. I have 2 systems connected to
    > monitor KB and mouse with KVM box. If I boot my SuSE system when the KVM
    > is connected to other system (Debian) the resolution that the X-server
    > comes up with is wrong and I am prompted by the monitor it should be
    > 1280x1024 60Hz. Starting the X-server with Ctrl-Alt-BS corrects the
    > problem. The Debian box does not do this and is using the same xorg.conf
    >
    > This is part of SuSE xorg.conf. Can some suggest anything ?? Thanks Bob.
    >
    > Section "Monitor"
    > Identifier "Monitor[0]"
    > ModelName "Syncmaster 940B"
    > Option "DPMS"
    > Option "CalcAlgorithm" "CheckDesktopGeometry" VendorName
    > "Samsung"
    > HorizSync 30-81
    > VertRefresh 56-75
    > UseModes "Modes[0]"
    > EndSection

    I think your Sync and refresh rates are off. High VertRefresh should be
    about 60 not 75

    > Section "Modes"
    > Identifier "Modes[0]"
    > ## 1024 X 768 60Hz
    > ## Modeline "1024x768" 61.89 1024 1080 1184 1344 768 769 772 794
    > +hsync +vsync
    > ## 1280 X 1024 60Hz
    > Modeline "1280x1024" 108.00 1280 1344 1456 1688 1024 1025 1025 1028
    > +hsync +vsync
    > EndSection
    >

    > Section "Screen"
    > DefaultDepth 24
    > SubSection "Display"
    > Depth 15
    > Modes "1024x768"
    > EndSubSection
    > SubSection "Display"
    > Depth 16
    > Modes "1024x768"
    > EndSubSection
    > SubSection "Display"
    > Depth 24
    > Modes "1280x1024"
    > EndSubSection
    > SubSection "Display"
    > Depth 8
    > Modes "1024x768"
    > EndSubSection
    > Device "Device[0]"
    > Identifier "Screen[0]"
    > Monitor "Monitor[0]"
    > EndSection

  4. Re: LCD xorg.conf configuration

    > I think your Sync and refresh rates are off. High VertRefresh should be
    > about 60 not 75

    Thankyou for your replies, both gave me some ideas. The H and V numbers
    were taken from monitor manual so I retained them, removed modeline and
    added DisplaySize. Here is config that seems to work.

    Thanks, Bob

    Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Monitor[0]"
    ModelName "Syncmaster 940B"
    Option "DPMS"
    ## Option "CalcAlgorithm" "CheckDesktopGeometry"
    DisplaySize 374 301
[...]

  5. Re: LCD xorg.conf configuration

    Bob Hyam wrote:

    >> I think your Sync and refresh rates are off. High VertRefresh should be
    >> about 60 not 75
    >>

    > Thankyou for your replies, both gave me some ideas. The H and V numbers
    > were taken from monitor manual so I retained them, removed modeline and
    > added DisplaySize. Here is config that seems to work.
    >
    > Thanks, Bob
    >
    > Section "Monitor"
    > Identifier "Monitor[0]"
    > ModelName "Syncmaster 940B"
    > Option "DPMS"
    > ## Option "CalcAlgorithm" "CheckDesktopGeometry"
    > DisplaySize 374 301
    > VendorName "Samsung"
    > HorizSync 30-81
    > VertRefresh 56-75
    > UseModes "Modes[0]"
    > EndSection
    >

    > Section "Modes"
    > Identifier "Modes[0]"
    > ## 1024 X 768 60Hz
    >
    > ## Modeline "1024x768" 61.89 1024 1080 1184 1344 768 769 772 794
    > +hsync +vsync ## 1280 X 1024 60Hz
    >
    > ## Modeline "1280x1024" 108.00 1280 1344 1456 1688 1024 1025 1025 1028
    > +hsync +vsync EndSection
    >

    > Section "Screen"
    > DefaultDepth 24
    > SubSection "Display"
    > Depth 15
    > Modes "1024x768"
    > EndSubSection
    > SubSection "Display"
    > Depth 16
    > Modes "1024x768"
    > EndSubSection
    > SubSection "Display"
    > Depth 24
    > Modes "1280x1024"

    It will work Bob.
    With explicit given sizes display is set with or without monitor on.
    It is usefull if computer is mostly server, but sometimes you want to turn
    on display and use it as a desktop. For instance to ssh in desktop and
    recover it from display driver failure that locked keyboard and mouse
    out ;-)

    --
    Regards,
    Rajko.

  6. Re: LCD xorg.conf configuration

    On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 21:11:17>
    > It will work Bob.
    > With explicit given sizes display is set with or without monitor on.
    > It is usefull if computer is mostly server, but sometimes you want to turn
    > on display and use it as a desktop. For instance to ssh in desktop and
    > recover it from display driver failure that locked keyboard and mouse
    > out ;-)

    Thanks Rajko for your help. I have been using Linux for several years now
    but haven't really become comfortable configuring X, I have just "fiddled"
    until it worked and left well enough alone. It appears that you are
    more knowledgeable than I , could you recommend sources of simple
    information sites, most of what I have found gets really technical.

    By the way, where are you ? You name seems of "Balkan" origin. I am in
    Western Canada ( British Columbia ) Thanks again, Bob.

  7. Re: LCD xorg.conf configuration

    Bob Hyam wrote:

    > On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 21:11:17>
    >> It will work Bob.
    >> With explicit given sizes display is set with or without monitor on.
    >> It is usefull if computer is mostly server, but sometimes you want to
    >> turn on display and use it as a desktop. For instance to ssh in desktop
    >> and recover it from display driver failure that locked keyboard and mouse
    >> out ;-)
    >>

    > Thanks Rajko for your help. I have been using Linux for several years now
    > but haven't really become comfortable configuring X, I have just "fiddled"
    > until it worked and left well enough alone.

    That's my tactic too ;-)

    > It appears that you are
    > more knowledgeable than I

    Hmm...
    You combined information in working xorg.conf, I didn't helped much.

    That particular problem that you had is mine reality on every installation.
    It is not KVM, but dual screen that I keep alive for a second year, but as
    times goes it harder to keep thing running. It comes time to buy some nice,
    big, wide screen and use time for something else.

    > , could you recommend sources of simple
    > information sites, most of what I have found gets really technical.

    Nothing special that you already don't know, say:
    - man pages,
    - Xorg.0.log, as xorg is very verbose and informative
    - SaX.log, that is verbose too
    and then when I stumble over unknown term
    - ask Google.

    It is very complex technical matter and the best that you can do is to learn
    terms. Some of them are general optical and electronics terms that describe
    any monitor, others are software (Xorg) specific. How complex is Xorg you
    can see from 2 lists:
    - list of related manual pages under "See also", and
    - list of main developers (27 names) at the end of xorg manual.
    They know xorg, the rest of us can "fiddle" and hope not to break something.

    Though, I can recommend visit to O'Reilly web site.
    I have good experience with their books. For instance:
    http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/v3/toc.html
    is TOC of Volume 3: X Window System User's Guide, Fourth Edition.

    > By the way, where are you ? You name seems of "Balkan" origin. I am in
    > Western Canada ( British Columbia ) Thanks again, Bob.

    Southeast from you.
    This days very hot Midwest of US.

    --
    Regards,