friggin Wireless - Somebody's got to do something - Suse

This is a discussion on friggin Wireless - Somebody's got to do something - Suse ; I have SUSE 10 installed on a Dell Laptop, and have tried several times to get tow different WIFI cards (Speedstream, and Airlink brand) working. The card is detected, but cannot get an IP address on an optn WIFI router. ...

  1. friggin Wireless - Somebody's got to do something

    I have SUSE 10 installed on a Dell Laptop, and have tried several times
    to get tow different WIFI cards (Speedstream, and Airlink brand)
    working. The card is detected, but cannot get an IP address on an optn
    WIFI router. I have been on numerous web sites. I have installed a
    NDISWRAPPER driver from the windoze disk, and each time I see the card.
    I try and configure it, but it says it wants an IPV6 connection.
    Yesterday, while trying every conceivable solution, I added PCI Wireless
    Direct as an option. It was one of the built in drivers, under YAST.
    The Wireless Card activity light came on, and at one point I saw an
    address from my wireless router. But I could not route, and after a
    reset, I lost the address.
    I am curious why this is so difficult. Sure I am a rookie at Linux, but
    it seems there should be better WIFI support. IFUP and IFDOWN on WLAN0
    does not make a difference. Like I said, two different cards, same
    results.
    Looking for a definitive help on this. You know, Step by Step. All the
    other features os SUSE seem great. It seems very profesionally written,
    and the menues are sharp, and installation was easy. But really want
    Wireless. May have to abondon SUSE if I cannot get it to work.

    Looking for some GURU's to "plow the field" to help the rest of us get
    things working.

    Thank you,
    Eric H.

  2. Re: friggin Wireless - Somebody's got to do something

    The Computer Dood wrote:
    > I have SUSE 10 installed on a Dell Laptop, and have tried several times
    > to get tow different WIFI cards (Speedstream, and Airlink brand)
    > working. The card is detected, but cannot get an IP address on an optn
    > WIFI router. I have been on numerous web sites. I have installed a
    > NDISWRAPPER driver from the windoze disk, and each time I see the card.
    > I try and configure it, but it says it wants an IPV6 connection.
    > Yesterday, while trying every conceivable solution, I added PCI Wireless
    > Direct as an option. It was one of the built in drivers, under YAST.
    > The Wireless Card activity light came on, and at one point I saw an
    > address from my wireless router. But I could not route, and after a
    > reset, I lost the address.
    > I am curious why this is so difficult. Sure I am a rookie at Linux, but
    > it seems there should be better WIFI support. IFUP and IFDOWN on WLAN0
    > does not make a difference. Like I said, two different cards, same
    > results.
    > Looking for a definitive help on this. You know, Step by Step. All the
    > other features os SUSE seem great. It seems very profesionally written,
    > and the menues are sharp, and installation was easy. But really want
    > Wireless. May have to abondon SUSE if I cannot get it to work.
    >
    > Looking for some GURU's to "plow the field" to help the rest of us get
    > things working.
    >
    > Thank you,
    > Eric H.

    Is it Suse 10 or Suse 10.1 or Suse 10.2?

  3. Re: friggin Wireless - Somebody's got to do something

    The Computer Dood wrote:
    > I have SUSE 10 installed on a Dell Laptop, and have tried several times
    > to get tow different WIFI cards (Speedstream, and Airlink brand)
    > working. The card is detected, but cannot get an IP address on an optn
    > WIFI router. I have been on numerous web sites. I have installed a
    > NDISWRAPPER driver from the windoze disk, and each time I see the card.
    > I try and configure it, but it says it wants an IPV6 connection.
    > Yesterday, while trying every conceivable solution, I added PCI Wireless
    > Direct as an option. It was one of the built in drivers, under YAST.
    > The Wireless Card activity light came on, and at one point I saw an
    > address from my wireless router. But I could not route, and after a
    > reset, I lost the address.
    > I am curious why this is so difficult. Sure I am a rookie at Linux, but
    > it seems there should be better WIFI support. IFUP and IFDOWN on WLAN0
    > does not make a difference. Like I said, two different cards, same
    > results.
    > Looking for a definitive help on this. You know, Step by Step. All the
    > other features os SUSE seem great. It seems very profesionally written,
    > and the menues are sharp, and installation was easy. But really want
    > Wireless. May have to abondon SUSE if I cannot get it to work.
    >
    > Looking for some GURU's to "plow the field" to help the rest of us get
    > things working.
    >
    > Thank you,
    > Eric H.

    When it comes to Linux and wireless, the day is going to come when it
    works right out of the box and we will wonder why we put up with this
    for so long. Does anybody that knows how to write drivers give a hoot
    that wireless is so hit and miss with linux? NDISwrapper my arse! What a
    kludge. Put something in the dad blamed kernel for pete's sake! Sorry
    Eric that I am no help here, but I had to rant.

  4. Re: friggin Wireless - Somebody's got to do something

    "Barnacle Bill the Sailor" wrote in
    message news:k6idnT1tlZfRdCHbnZ2dnUVZ_oGjnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    > The Computer Dood wrote:
    >> I have SUSE 10 installed on a Dell Laptop, and have tried several times
    >> to get tow different WIFI cards (Speedstream, and Airlink brand)
    >> working. The card is detected, but cannot get an IP address on an optn
    >> WIFI router. I have been on numerous web sites. I have installed a
    >> NDISWRAPPER driver from the windoze disk, and each time I see the card.
    >> I try and configure it, but it says it wants an IPV6 connection.
    >> Yesterday, while trying every conceivable solution, I added PCI Wireless
    >> Direct as an option. It was one of the built in drivers, under YAST.
    >> The Wireless Card activity light came on, and at one point I saw an
    >> address from my wireless router. But I could not route, and after a
    >> reset, I lost the address.
    >> I am curious why this is so difficult. Sure I am a rookie at Linux, but
    >> it seems there should be better WIFI support. IFUP and IFDOWN on WLAN0
    >> does not make a difference. Like I said, two different cards, same
    >> results.
    >> Looking for a definitive help on this. You know, Step by Step. All the
    >> other features os SUSE seem great. It seems very profesionally written,
    >> and the menues are sharp, and installation was easy. But really want
    >> Wireless. May have to abondon SUSE if I cannot get it to work.
    >>
    >> Looking for some GURU's to "plow the field" to help the rest of us get
    >> things working.
    >>
    >> Thank you,
    >> Eric H.

    > When it comes to Linux and wireless, the day is going to come when it
    > works right out of the box and we will wonder why we put up with this
    > for so long. Does anybody that knows how to write drivers give a hoot
    > that wireless is so hit and miss with linux? NDISwrapper my arse! What a
    > kludge. Put something in the dad blamed kernel for pete's sake! Sorry
    > Eric that I am no help here, but I had to rant.

    Well, it's not Linux that's the problem... it's the wireless card
    manufacturers fault..
    very very few will release interface/registers/commands etc.. they keep it
    proprietory..
    they only seem to support windoze.. that's where the sales are ( to date
    anyway )..

    as we all know, there are some VERY talented Linux software engineers out
    "there" and I for one
    am very grateful for their talents.. please don't flame Linux.. attack the
    card manufacturers..

    if the situation were reversed, I'm sure you would be saying "god windows
    sux dude.. no Wifi drivers"..

  5. Re: friggin Wireless - Somebody's got to do something

    On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 15:30:15 -0700, The Computer Dood wrote:

    > I have SUSE 10 installed on a Dell Laptop, and have tried several times
    > to get tow different WIFI cards (Speedstream, and Airlink brand)
    > working. The card is detected, but cannot get an IP address on an optn
    > WIFI router. I have been on numerous web sites. I have installed a
    > NDISWRAPPER driver from the windoze disk, and each time I see the card.
    > I try and configure it, but it says it wants an IPV6 connection.
    > Yesterday, while trying every conceivable solution, I added PCI Wireless
    > Direct as an option. It was one of the built in drivers, under YAST.
    > The Wireless Card activity light came on, and at one point I saw an
    > address from my wireless router. But I could not route, and after a
    > reset, I lost the address.
    > I am curious why this is so difficult. Sure I am a rookie at Linux, but
    > it seems there should be better WIFI support. IFUP and IFDOWN on WLAN0
    > does not make a difference. Like I said, two different cards, same
    > results.
    > Looking for a definitive help on this. You know, Step by Step. All the
    > other features os SUSE seem great. It seems very profesionally written,
    > and the menues are sharp, and installation was easy. But really want
    > Wireless. May have to abondon SUSE if I cannot get it to work.
    >
    > Looking for some GURU's to "plow the field" to help the rest of us get
    > things working.
    >
    > Thank you,
    > Eric H.

    IMHO - ndiswrapper sucks. Better to get a card like Dlink WNA2330 with
    Atheros chipset - it is a snap with madwifi.

  6. Re: friggin Wireless - Somebody's got to do something

    TheDoc wrote:
    > "Barnacle Bill the Sailor" wrote in
    > message news:k6idnT1tlZfRdCHbnZ2dnUVZ_oGjnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    >> The Computer Dood wrote:
    >>> I have SUSE 10 installed on a Dell Laptop, and have tried several times
    >>> to get tow different WIFI cards (Speedstream, and Airlink brand)
    >>> working. The card is detected, but cannot get an IP address on an optn
    >>> WIFI router. I have been on numerous web sites. I have installed a
    >>> NDISWRAPPER driver from the windoze disk, and each time I see the card.
    >>> I try and configure it, but it says it wants an IPV6 connection.
    >>> Yesterday, while trying every conceivable solution, I added PCI Wireless
    >>> Direct as an option. It was one of the built in drivers, under YAST.
    >>> The Wireless Card activity light came on, and at one point I saw an
    >>> address from my wireless router. But I could not route, and after a
    >>> reset, I lost the address.
    >>> I am curious why this is so difficult. Sure I am a rookie at Linux, but
    >>> it seems there should be better WIFI support. IFUP and IFDOWN on WLAN0
    >>> does not make a difference. Like I said, two different cards, same
    >>> results.
    >>> Looking for a definitive help on this. You know, Step by Step. All the
    >>> other features os SUSE seem great. It seems very profesionally written,
    >>> and the menues are sharp, and installation was easy. But really want
    >>> Wireless. May have to abondon SUSE if I cannot get it to work.
    >>>
    >>> Looking for some GURU's to "plow the field" to help the rest of us get
    >>> things working.
    >>>
    >>> Thank you,
    >>> Eric H.

    >> When it comes to Linux and wireless, the day is going to come when it
    >> works right out of the box and we will wonder why we put up with this
    >> for so long. Does anybody that knows how to write drivers give a hoot
    >> that wireless is so hit and miss with linux? NDISwrapper my arse! What a
    >> kludge. Put something in the dad blamed kernel for pete's sake! Sorry
    >> Eric that I am no help here, but I had to rant.

    > Well, it's not Linux that's the problem... it's the wireless card
    > manufacturers fault..
    > very very few will release interface/registers/commands etc.. they keep it
    > proprietory..
    > they only seem to support windoze.. that's where the sales are ( to date
    > anyway )..
    >
    > as we all know, there are some VERY talented Linux software engineers out
    > "there" and I for one
    > am very grateful for their talents.. please don't flame Linux.. attack the
    > card manufacturers..
    >
    > if the situation were reversed, I'm sure you would be saying "god windows
    > sux dude.. no Wifi drivers"..

    Yeah I know. But if the companies aren't parting with the protocols, so
    reverse engineer the darn things! And dare them to make something of it!

  7. Re: friggin Wireless - Somebody's got to do something

    Barnacle Bill the Sailor wrote:

    > TheDoc wrote:
    >> "Barnacle Bill the Sailor" wrote in
    >> message news:k6idnT1tlZfRdCHbnZ2dnUVZ_oGjnZ2d@comcast.com. ..

    >>> When it comes to Linux and wireless, the day is going to come when it
    >>> works right out of the box and we will wonder why we put up with this
    >>> for so long. Does anybody that knows how to write drivers give a hoot
    >>> that wireless is so hit and miss with linux? NDISwrapper my arse! What a
    >>> kludge. Put something in the dad blamed kernel for pete's sake! Sorry
    >>> Eric that I am no help here, but I had to rant.

    >> Well, it's not Linux that's the problem... it's the wireless card
    >> manufacturers fault..
    >> very very few will release interface/registers/commands etc.. they keep
    >> it proprietory..
    >> they only seem to support windoze.. that's where the sales are ( to date
    >> anyway )..
    >>
    >> as we all know, there are some VERY talented Linux software engineers out
    >> "there" and I for one
    >> am very grateful for their talents.. please don't flame Linux.. attack
    >> the card manufacturers..
    >>
    >> if the situation were reversed, I'm sure you would be saying "god windows
    >> sux dude.. no Wifi drivers"..
    >>

    > Yeah I know. But if the companies aren't parting with the protocols, so
    > reverse engineer the darn things! And dare them to make something of it!

    So you end up with the same crap that we have around mp3 and DVD - can't use
    working OSS to do it because it *appears* to infringe on the intellectual
    property of some proprietary *crappy* company.

    Just because it's reverse engineered doesn't mean you have the right to use
    it. After all, it has to use that crappy proprietary company's copywritten
    (or patented) data flow process. If not, it won't work.

    And some companies are doing it right! I bought a USB to WiFi adaptor that
    included Linux code on CD. It needs to be compiled into the kernel, which I
    haven't tried yet. AND, I got the device on eBay for about $25 including
    shipping from China.

    So why buy the $80 versions from some US crap company? Give those crap
    companies what they deserve - NOTHING!!!!! And if you bought it - demand a
    full refund as defective - which it IS!

  8. Re: friggin Wireless - Somebody's got to do something

    The Computer Dood wrote:

    > I have SUSE 10 installed on a Dell Laptop, and have tried several times
    > to get tow different WIFI cards (Speedstream, and Airlink brand)
    > working. The card is detected, but cannot get an IP address on an optn
    > WIFI router. I have been on numerous web sites. I have installed a
    > NDISWRAPPER driver from the windoze disk, and each time I see the card.
    > I try and configure it, but it says it wants an IPV6 connection.
    > Yesterday, while trying every conceivable solution, I added PCI Wireless
    > Direct as an option. It was one of the built in drivers, under YAST.
    > The Wireless Card activity light came on, and at one point I saw an
    > address from my wireless router. But I could not route, and after a
    > reset, I lost the address.
    > I am curious why this is so difficult. Sure I am a rookie at Linux, but
    > it seems there should be better WIFI support. IFUP and IFDOWN on WLAN0
    > does not make a difference. Like I said, two different cards, same
    > results.
    > Looking for a definitive help on this. You know, Step by Step. All the
    > other features os SUSE seem great. It seems very profesionally written,
    > and the menues are sharp, and installation was easy. But really want
    > Wireless. May have to abondon SUSE if I cannot get it to work.
    >
    > Looking for some GURU's to "plow the field" to help the rest of us get
    > things working.
    >
    > Thank you,
    > Eric H.

    Tried to use Suse 10.2 on a Thinkpad with an intel wireless device. Just
    would not pick it up. As I needed it in a hurry, I just stuck in a kubuntu
    7.04 live CD and it picked it up. So, I just erased the Suse and installed
    kubuntu. Still use Suse at home.

    Ken D.

  9. Re: friggin Wireless - Somebody's got to do something

    Ken Dere wrote:

    > Tried to use Suse 10.2 on a Thinkpad with an intel wireless device. Just
    > would not pick it up. As I needed it in a hurry, I just stuck in a kubuntu
    > 7.04 live CD and it picked it up. So, I just erased the Suse and installed
    > kubuntu. Still use Suse at home.

    I installed 10.2 on this TPad R60e with built-in Intel ABG wireless NIC
    and it worked first time - somewhat to my amazement.

    I had to get rid of knetworkmanager, though - it couldn't handle fixed
    IP addresses and, when I changed to using DHCP, it couldn't handle a
    cloaked AP (no ESSID broadcast).

    Built-in bluetooth worked first time too - double amazement!

    Dave
    --
    (Remove any numerics from my email address.)

  10. Re: friggin Wireless - Somebody's got to do something

    On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 15:30:15 -0700, The Computer Dood wrote:

    > I have SUSE 10 installed on a Dell Laptop, and have tried several times
    > to get tow different WIFI cards (Speedstream, and Airlink brand)
    > working. The card is detected, but cannot get an IP address on an optn
    > WIFI router. I have been on numerous web sites. I have installed a
    > NDISWRAPPER driver from the windoze disk, and each time I see the card.
    > I try and configure it, but it says it wants an IPV6 connection.
    > Yesterday, while trying every conceivable solution, I added PCI Wireless
    > Direct as an option. It was one of the built in drivers, under YAST.
    > The Wireless Card activity light came on, and at one point I saw an
    > address from my wireless router. But I could not route, and after a
    > reset, I lost the address.
    > I am curious why this is so difficult. Sure I am a rookie at Linux, but
    > it seems there should be better WIFI support. IFUP and IFDOWN on WLAN0
    > does not make a difference. Like I said, two different cards, same
    > results.
    > Looking for a definitive help on this. You know, Step by Step. All the
    > other features os SUSE seem great. It seems very profesionally written,
    > and the menues are sharp, and installation was easy. But really want
    > Wireless. May have to abondon SUSE if I cannot get it to work.
    >
    > Looking for some GURU's to "plow the field" to help the rest of us get
    > things working.
    >
    > Thank you,
    > Eric H.

    I just purchased and installed a Netgear WG511T pcmcia card in my HP
    ze4200 laptop. I used the madwifi driver and it works great. I added the
    madwifi repository to yast: http://madwifi.org/suse/10.2 , installed the
    driver using the software management in yast, then configured the card
    using yast.

  11. Re: friggin Wireless - Somebody's got to do something

    TheDoc wrote:

    >"Barnacle Bill the Sailor" wrote in
    >message news:k6idnT1tlZfRdCHbnZ2dnUVZ_oGjnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
    >> The Computer Dood wrote:
    >>> I have SUSE 10 installed on a Dell Laptop, and have tried several times
    >>> to get tow different WIFI cards (Speedstream, and Airlink brand)
    >>> working. The card is detected, but cannot get an IP address on an optn
    >>> WIFI router. I have been on numerous web sites. I have installed a
    >>> NDISWRAPPER driver from the windoze disk, and each time I see the card.
    >>> I try and configure it, but it says it wants an IPV6 connection.
    >>> Yesterday, while trying every conceivable solution, I added PCI Wireless
    >>> Direct as an option. It was one of the built in drivers, under YAST.
    >>> The Wireless Card activity light came on, and at one point I saw an
    >>> address from my wireless router. But I could not route, and after a
    >>> reset, I lost the address.
    >>> I am curious why this is so difficult. Sure I am a rookie at Linux, but
    >>> it seems there should be better WIFI support. IFUP and IFDOWN on WLAN0
    >>> does not make a difference. Like I said, two different cards, same
    >>> results.
    >>> Looking for a definitive help on this. You know, Step by Step. All the
    >>> other features os SUSE seem great. It seems very profesionally written,
    >>> and the menues are sharp, and installation was easy. But really want
    >>> Wireless. May have to abondon SUSE if I cannot get it to work.
    >>>
    >>> Looking for some GURU's to "plow the field" to help the rest of us get
    >>> things working.
    >>>
    >>> Thank you,
    >>> Eric H.

    >> When it comes to Linux and wireless, the day is going to come when it
    >> works right out of the box and we will wonder why we put up with this
    >> for so long. Does anybody that knows how to write drivers give a hoot
    >> that wireless is so hit and miss with linux? NDISwrapper my arse! What a
    >> kludge. Put something in the dad blamed kernel for pete's sake! Sorry
    >> Eric that I am no help here, but I had to rant.

    >Well, it's not Linux that's the problem... it's the wireless card
    >manufacturers fault..
    >very very few will release interface/registers/commands etc.. they keep it
    >proprietory..
    >they only seem to support windoze.. that's where the sales are ( to date
    >anyway )..

    >as we all know, there are some VERY talented Linux software engineers out
    >"there" and I for one
    >am very grateful for their talents.. please don't flame Linux.. attack the
    >card manufacturers..

    >if the situation were reversed, I'm sure you would be saying "god windows
    >sux dude.. no Wifi drivers"..

    Perhaps we should go another route. We should attempt to
    discover which wireless cards actually work with a given
    version of Suse and then recommend *those* cards to
    everybody.

    --
    --- Paul J. Gans

  12. Re: friggin Wireless - Somebody's got to do something

    On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 12:21:01 -0400, Ken Dere wrote:

    > Tried to use Suse 10.2 on a Thinkpad with an intel wireless device. Just
    > would not pick it up. As I needed it in a hurry, I just stuck in a kubuntu
    > 7.04 live CD and it picked it up. So, I just erased the Suse and installed
    > kubuntu. Still use Suse at home.
    >
    > Ken D.

    struggling with similar issue on recently purchase hp pavillion dv2000. in
    desperation I did as you did and installed kubuntu and, bingo!, immediate
    connection!

    I spent a couple of days trying to get OpenSuse to connect and would like
    to try again since I prefer that environment but Kubuntu is thriving on
    that laptop.

    Felmon

  13. Re: friggin Wireless - Somebody's got to do something

    On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 17:54:42 +0100, Dave Royal wrote:

    > I had to get rid of knetworkmanager, though - it couldn't handle fixed
    > IP addresses and, when I changed to using DHCP, it couldn't handle a
    > cloaked AP (no ESSID broadcast).

    a mystery to me. it used to work fine on this old hp pavillion dv1000 (I
    just got in addition a dv2000) but suddenly it refuses to catch the wave.

    I installed wifiradar which I discovered mucking with Kubuntu and now it's
    smooth sailing (again).

    Felmon

  14. Re: friggin Wireless - Somebody's got to do something

    felmon davis wrote:
    >On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 12:21:01 -0400, Ken Dere wrote:

    >> Tried to use Suse 10.2 on a Thinkpad with an intel wireless device. Just
    >> would not pick it up. As I needed it in a hurry, I just stuck in a kubuntu
    >> 7.04 live CD and it picked it up. So, I just erased the Suse and installed
    >> kubuntu. Still use Suse at home.
    >>
    >> Ken D.

    >struggling with similar issue on recently purchase hp pavillion dv2000. in
    >desperation I did as you did and installed kubuntu and, bingo!, immediate
    >connection!

    >I spent a couple of days trying to get OpenSuse to connect and would like
    >to try again since I prefer that environment but Kubuntu is thriving on
    >that laptop.

    Since open source is open source, why can't OpenSuse use the
    same code Kubuntu uses?

    --
    --- Paul J. Gans

  15. Re: friggin Wireless - Somebody's got to do something

    Paul J Gans writes:

    >felmon davis wrote:
    >>On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 12:21:01 -0400, Ken Dere wrote:

    >>> Tried to use Suse 10.2 on a Thinkpad with an intel wireless device. Just
    >>> would not pick it up. As I needed it in a hurry, I just stuck in a kubuntu
    >>> 7.04 live CD and it picked it up. So, I just erased the Suse and installed
    >>> kubuntu. Still use Suse at home.
    >>>
    >>> Ken D.

    >>struggling with similar issue on recently purchase hp pavillion dv2000. in
    >>desperation I did as you did and installed kubuntu and, bingo!, immediate
    >>connection!

    >>I spent a couple of days trying to get OpenSuse to connect and would like
    >>to try again since I prefer that environment but Kubuntu is thriving on
    >>that laptop.

    >Since open source is open source, why can't OpenSuse use the
    >same code Kubuntu uses?

    They can. It all depends on how recent the drivers are and which drivers
    they include.

    >--
    > --- Paul J. Gans

  16. Re: friggin Wireless - Somebody's got to do something

    John Bowling wrote:
    > Barnacle Bill the Sailor wrote:
    >
    >> TheDoc wrote:
    >>> "Barnacle Bill the Sailor" wrote in
    >>> message news:k6idnT1tlZfRdCHbnZ2dnUVZ_oGjnZ2d@comcast.com. ..

    >>> Well, it's not Linux that's the problem... it's the wireless card
    >>> manufacturers fault..
    >>> very very few will release interface/registers/commands etc.. they keep
    >>> it proprietory..
    >>> they only seem to support windoze.. that's where the sales are ( to date
    >>> anyway )..
    >>>
    >>> as we all know, there are some VERY talented Linux software engineers out
    >>> "there" and I for one
    >>> am very grateful for their talents.. please don't flame Linux.. attack
    >>> the card manufacturers..
    >>>
    >>> if the situation were reversed, I'm sure you would be saying "god windows
    >>> sux dude.. no Wifi drivers"..
    >>>

    >> Yeah I know. But if the companies aren't parting with the protocols, so
    >> reverse engineer the darn things! And dare them to make something of it!

    > So you end up with the same crap that we have around mp3 and DVD - can't use
    > working OSS to do it because it *appears* to infringe on the intellectual
    > property of some proprietary *crappy* company.
    >
    > Just because it's reverse engineered doesn't mean you have the right to use
    > it. After all, it has to use that crappy proprietary company's copywritten
    > (or patented) data flow process. If not, it won't work.
    >
    > And some companies are doing it right! I bought a USB to WiFi adaptor that
    > included Linux code on CD. It needs to be compiled into the kernel, which I
    > haven't tried yet. AND, I got the device on eBay for about $25 including
    > shipping from China.
    >
    > So why buy the $80 versions from some US crap company? Give those crap
    > companies what they deserve - NOTHING!!!!! And if you bought it - demand a
    > full refund as defective - which it IS!

    Yes you are right, but I have to rant! And my wireless gadget came built
    in to my laptop....I was clueless then about whether Linux could use it.
    I got a dongle with D-link chip that does work (And without NDISwrapper)
    so I am not out in the cold. But as for Broadcom and anybody else that
    won't play ball.......

  17. Re: friggin Wireless - Somebody's got to do something

    Unruh wrote:
    >Paul J Gans writes:

    >>felmon davis wrote:

    >>>struggling with similar issue on recently purchase hp pavillion dv2000. in
    >>>desperation I did as you did and installed kubuntu and, bingo!, immediate
    >>>connection!

    >>>I spent a couple of days trying to get OpenSuse to connect and would like
    >>>to try again since I prefer that environment but Kubuntu is thriving on
    >>>that laptop.

    >>Since open source is open source, why can't OpenSuse use the
    >>same code Kubuntu uses?

    >They can. It all depends on how recent the drivers are and which drivers
    >they include.

    Sure. But several of us have subjective evidence that
    Kubuntu is more up-to-date than OpenSuse.

    --
    --- Paul J. Gans

  18. Re: friggin Wireless - Somebody's got to do something

    On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 02:33:48 +0000, Paul J Gans wrote:

    >>>Since open source is open source, why can't OpenSuse use the
    >>>same code Kubuntu uses?

    >>They can. It all depends on how recent the drivers are and which drivers
    >>they include.

    > Sure. But several of us have subjective evidence that
    > Kubuntu is more up-to-date than OpenSuse.

    not just drivers; something else is amiss since I also downloaded the
    drivers from the Intel site but still couldn't get it to work. to be sure,
    I may have made some mistake or other though I didn't have anywhere near
    the trouble getting things up and running on the hp pavillion dv1000. in
    fact, it was precisely _because_ the wifi install on the dv1000 was so
    easy, relatively speaking, that I blithely ordered the dv2000 thinking,
    "ah, Intel wireless, piece o' cake!"

    I was surprised.

    I am going to boot up the new livecd beta opensuse 10.3 and see what
    happens with wireless.

    Felmon

  19. Re: friggin Wireless - Somebody's got to do something

    Dave Royal wrote:
    > I installed 10.2 on this TPad R60e ...
    >
    > I had to get rid of knetworkmanager, though - it couldn't handle fixed
    > IP addresses and, when I changed to using DHCP, it couldn't handle a
    > cloaked AP (no ESSID broadcast).

    Does anyone know whether either of these two problems with
    knetworkmanager has been fixed in 10.3?

    Dave
    --
    (Remove any numerics from my email address.)

+ Reply to Thread