Undeletable mail - Suse

  1. Undeletable mail

    Using Kmail I have one message in my inbox that will not delete no matter
    what I do. Any ideas how to get rid of it.

    Thanks

    --
    Become more Balanced www.shapeyourworld.ca

  2. Re: Undeletable mail

    In <46bc8591$0$4189$88260bb3@free.teranews.com> Testy:

    > Using Kmail I have one message in my inbox that will not delete no matter
    > what I do. Any ideas how to get rid of it.

    Shot in the dark...

    This sounds like another process has this file locked (an editor, etc.) so
    it won't be deleted by Kmail until everybody else lets go of it.

    Have you tried logging out completely from all sessions (console and X) to
    be sure all apps holding inbox files are shutdown, then logging back in?

    Also can try to determine what's locking a file with lsof, something like:

    guest@aces:~> lsof | grep /var/log/messages
    tail 5321 guest 3r REG 3,5 2527032 51047 /var/log/messages

    Finally, ISTR having this "fixed" at times by moving that message to Kmail
    trash, then using "Empty All Trash Folders" from the Kmail "File" menu.

    BTW, my delete message in Kmail actually deletes messages, even though the
    status line at the bottom says it didn't. Go figure...

    (Also FWIW, import file in Kmail compose crashes Kmail for me, years now)

    HTH; YMMV...

  3. Re: Undeletable mail

    My first thought was file permissions. perhaps this
    particular piece of mail is owned by root.

    --

    Thanks
    Walt L. Williams

  4. Re: Undeletable mail

    Testy wrote:

    > Using Kmail I have one message in my inbox that will not delete no matter
    > what I do. Any ideas how to get rid of it.
    >
    > Thanks

    I got that with some mailserver notification that user does not exist.

    Save mail from inbox, if you have any (just in case).
    Close KMail.
    .kde/share/apps/kmail/
    and delete any files named "lock".
    They should not exist if KMail exited in normal way.

    Go to the
    .kde/share/apps/kmail/mail/inbox
    and delete mails in subdirectories of inbox.
    Mine undeletable mail was in
    .kde/share/apps/kmail/mail/inbox/curr

    Go to the
    .kde/share/apps/kmail/mail
    and delete
    .inbox.index
    .inbox.index.ids
    .inbox.index.sorted
    Start Kmail. It will recreate index files.

    I just got second mail with the same content and deletion worked fine this
    time. It is probably corrupt index file, due to abnormal termination of
    KMail. Earlier today X server crashed with KMail opened, so lock file was
    present too.

    --
    Regards,
    Rajko.