"jumping" display - Suse

This is a discussion on "jumping" display - Suse ; Hi, a minor annoyance in my openSuSE 10.2 system: the grub screen fits my screen the booting screen is shifted to the left (0.5 cm) after login the screen is shifted to the right (0.5 cm) (it's just enough to ...

  1. "jumping" display

    Hi,

    a minor annoyance in my openSuSE 10.2 system:

    the grub screen fits my screen
    the booting screen is shifted to the left (0.5 cm)
    after login the screen is shifted to the right (0.5 cm)
    (it's just enough to hide the scrollbar)

    I tried to adjust in sax (via YasT). It says that the correction will
    be active after the next graphics restart, but it isn't.

    The auto button on my screen adjusts - but afterwards in WindowsXP I have
    to shift back.

    Known problem?

    Jean

  2. Re: "jumping" display

    Jean Bausch wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > a minor annoyance in my openSuSE 10.2 system:
    >
    > the grub screen fits my screen
    > the booting screen is shifted to the left (0.5 cm)
    > after login the screen is shifted to the right (0.5 cm)
    > (it's just enough to hide the scrollbar)
    >
    > I tried to adjust in sax (via YasT). It says that the correction will
    > be active after the next graphics restart, but it isn't.
    >
    > The auto button on my screen adjusts - but afterwards in WindowsXP I have
    > to shift back.
    >
    > Known problem?

    Know problem is that all combinations of monitor and graphic cards doesn't
    work well togheather. So to look for solution it is important to know what
    is used in order to look around.

    Usually the shift in text mode can be corrected using different vga mode.
    For that I use console and as root user run file manager Midnight Commander
    to edit file /boot/grub/menu.lst. Line starting with
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda6 vga=0x317 ....
    The VESA mode 0x317 is 1024x768 that gives enough text on screen, but never
    failed, even on older computers.

    The graphic mode is similar story. You can look what resolution, vertical
    refresh and color depth are used in windows, and than we can look around
    for a solution and compare with those used by sax2.

    --
    Regards,
    Rajko.

  3. Re: "jumping" display

    Jean Bausch wrote:
    > The auto button on my screen adjusts - but afterwards in WindowsXP I have
    > to shift back.

    Well, I do not have Windows, so that is my solution. ;-)

    houghi
    --
    At the source of every error which is blamed on the computer you will
    find at least two human errors, including the error of blaming it on

  4. Re: "jumping" display

    Jean Bausch wrote:

    > the grub screen fits my screen
    > the booting screen is shifted to the left (0.5 cm)
    > after login the screen is shifted to the right (0.5 cm)
    > (it's just enough to hide the scrollbar)

    [...]
    > Known problem?

    Yes. Two components are involved: the monitor and the graphics card.

    A monitor typically can be programmed with adjustments for every
    HSYNC/VSYNC timing combination. The on screen display may show the
    actual values, as used by the various software components.

    A system software (boot loader, OS, GUI) can use an fixed or adjustable
    graphics mode (timing), with adjustable shifts of origin and width in
    the H/V directions.

    As a simple solution, one should select different timings for all
    programs, that use their own graphics parameters. Then the monitor can
    be adjusted properly and separately for each timing.

    DoDi

+ Reply to Thread