Online update newly installed opensuse 10.2 - Suse

This is a discussion on Online update newly installed opensuse 10.2 - Suse ; Sorry if my question is stupid, but I'm fairly new to Linux. I just re-installed OpenSuse 10.2, and registred again. But Online update goes wrong somehow. There is appr. 130 updates waiting, but when I accept to receive the updates, ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

  1. Online update newly installed opensuse 10.2

    Sorry if my question is stupid, but I'm fairly new to Linux.
    I just re-installed OpenSuse 10.2, and registred again.
    But Online update goes wrong somehow. There is appr. 130 updates
    waiting, but when I accept to receive the updates, I keep getting this
    error:
    Resolvable w3m 2433-0
    (http.//gd.tuwien.ac.at/linux/suse.com/suse/update/10.2) Not found.

    I can easily find the repository on the internet, it's there. The
    updates reside in a subdirectory 'repodata'. I cannot change my
    install-sources to include /repodata.
    My system goes into a loop, which I can't get out of. I have to press
    the RESET-button on the computer to reboot.
    What am I doing wrong? Hopefully somebody can give me a clue

    Per

  2. Re: Online update newly installed opensuse 10.2

    Per Lüchau wrote:
    > Sorry if my question is stupid, but I'm fairly new to Linux.

    There are stupid questions and this is not one of them. ;-)

    > I just re-installed OpenSuse 10.2, and registred again.

    re-installation might not have been needed and the registration does
    nothing realy. It just looks what hardware people use and perhaps, if
    you bought the boxed set, if you are allowed support.

    > But Online update goes wrong somehow. There is appr. 130 updates
    > waiting, but when I accept to receive the updates, I keep getting this
    > error:
    > Resolvable w3m 2433-0
    > (http.//gd.tuwien.ac.at/linux/suse.com/suse/update/10.2) Not found.

    I asume that would read http:// and not http.//
    Still strange, because there are w3m files on the server:
    http://gd.tuwien.ac.at/linux/suse.co...i586/?fisel=wW

    > I can easily find the repository on the internet, it's there. The
    > updates reside in a subdirectory 'repodata'. I cannot change my
    > install-sources to include /repodata.

    You should not let them include repodata. the */repodata is where the
    data for the repo's resides. It is not the actual rpm files itself.

    > My system goes into a loop, which I can't get out of. I have to press
    > the RESET-button on the computer to reboot.

    A loop?

    > What am I doing wrong? Hopefully somebody can give me a clue

    Nothing as far as I can see. Try to deactivate the w3m data to update
    and see what happens.

    houghi
    --

    This space left blank intentionaly

  3. Re: Online update newly installed opensuse 10.2

    Per Lüchau wrote:

    > Sorry if my question is stupid, but I'm fairly new to Linux.

    There is no such thing as a stupid question - there are, however, stupid
    answers. Thats a quote by the way - can't remember who by though!

    --
    TTFN
    Jim

    'Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vicendarum!'

  4. Re: Online update newly installed opensuse 10.2

    houghi skrev:
    > Per Lüchau wrote:
    >
    >> Sorry if my question is stupid, but I'm fairly new to Linux.
    >>

    > There are stupid questions and this is not one of them. ;-)
    >

    >> I just re-installed OpenSuse 10.2, and registred again.
    >>

    > re-installation might not have been needed and the registration does
    > nothing realy. It just looks what hardware people use and perhaps, if
    > you bought the boxed set, if you are allowed support.
    >

    >> But Online update goes wrong somehow. There is appr. 130 updates
    >> waiting, but when I accept to receive the updates, I keep getting this
    >> error:
    >> Resolvable w3m 2433-0
    >> (http.//gd.tuwien.ac.at/linux/suse.com/suse/update/10.2) Not found.
    >>

    > I asume that would read http:// and not http.//
    > Still strange, because there are w3m files on the server:
    > http://gd.tuwien.ac.at/linux/suse.co...i586/?fisel=wW
    >

    >> I can easily find the repository on the internet, it's there. The
    >> updates reside in a subdirectory 'repodata'. I cannot change my
    >> install-sources to include /repodata.
    >>

    > You should not let them include repodata. the */repodata is where the
    > data for the repo's resides. It is not the actual rpm files itself.
    >

    >> My system goes into a loop, which I can't get out of. I have to press
    >> the RESET-button on the computer to reboot.
    >>

    > A loop?
    >

    >> What am I doing wrong? Hopefully somebody can give me a clue
    >>

    > Nothing as far as I can see. Try to deactivate the w3m data to update
    > and see what happens.
    >
    > houghi

    Thank's for your answer.
    I allready tried removing w3m, but then another pops up ( openSSL-mono
    core a.s.o.)
    From the */rpm directory I tried to download and install one of the
    updates. It worked fine, but I don't intend to do it 130 times.
    Actually the system works splendid, so I don't really need the updates,
    I just like things to be updated.
    I just received an e-mail from Novell telling me about all the support
    I'm entitled to, SO I will see what they can suggest.
    Per

  5. Re: Online update newly installed opensuse 10.2

    On Sat, 04 Aug 2007 16:12:55 +0100, Barely Audible wrote:

    > There is no such thing as a stupid question - there are, however, stupid
    > answers. Thats a quote by the way - can't remember who by though!

    This is also a quote:
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vicendarum!" and I hope
    it is not a stupid question to ask you to provide a translation ! I tried
    to google it, but only got referred back to your postings.

    A free latin translation site was no help either. (Maybe it isn't proper
    latin :-) )

    Cheers

    Paul (W)

  6. Re: Online update newly installed opensuse 10.2

    Per Lüchau wrote:
    > Thank's for your answer.
    > I allready tried removing w3m, but then another pops up ( openSSL-mono
    > core a.s.o.)
    > From the */rpm directory I tried to download and install one of the
    > updates. It worked fine, but I don't intend to do it 130 times.
    > Actually the system works splendid, so I don't really need the updates,
    > I just like things to be updated.
    > I just received an e-mail from Novell telling me about all the support
    > I'm entitled to, SO I will see what they can suggest.

    Try to change the server. Could be that it is somehow failing. Also
    please let us know what the answer will be or if you do not get an
    answer at all.

    houghi
    --

    This space left blank intentionaly

  7. Re: Online update newly installed opensuse 10.2

    Barely Audible wrote:
    > Per Lüchau wrote:
    >
    >> Sorry if my question is stupid, but I'm fairly new to Linux.

    > There is no such thing as a stupid question - there are, however, stupid
    > answers. Thats a quote by the way - can't remember who by though!

    And it is a stupid quote. Sure there are stupid questions. "Does that
    hurt' whne somebody gets a tatoo is one. The person gets a needle in his
    body over and over again.

    'How do you feel' when asked by a journalist. e.g. 'How do you feel now
    you have just won the Iron man?' "I feel like hitting you in the face
    for asking such a stupid question!"

    There are plenty of stupid questions out there and most I hear on the
    news. "What happend?" "Well, the
    bridge just collapsed." "Where there people driving on the bridge?" No,
    the cars you see there are part of an international test of driverless
    cars."

    Other stupid questions are the ones where the answer already is part of
    the question. "I understand that [snip 10 minute explantion] after 4
    more years. Is that true?" "Maybe".

    I know what my answer will be when I am the sole survivor of a plane
    crash. "What were you thinking when you realised you were the sole
    survivor of this plane crash?" "I think and now know that the people who
    died, regardless of how big a loss it is for their families and friends,
    that those people are the one that got away. They do not have to answer
    these stupid questions. I ask myself: what have I done to deserve this?
    Why am I punished for this?"

    So yes, there are stupid questions.

    houghi
    --

    This space left blank intentionaly

  8. Re: Online update newly installed opensuse 10.2

    On Sat, 04 Aug 2007 16:31:14 +0100, Paul Williamson wrote:

    > This is also a quote:
    > "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vicendarum!" and I hope
    > it is not a stupid question to ask you to provide a translation ! I tried
    > to google it, but only got referred back to your postings.
    >
    > A free latin translation site was no help either. (Maybe it isn't proper
    > latin :-) )
    >
    > Cheers

    check out

    I think the 'vincendarum' is wrong though but I will have to
    ask one of the philologists.

    Felmon

  9. Re: Online update newly installed opensuse 10.2

    On Sat, 04 Aug 2007 12:53:13 -0400, felmon davis wrote:

    > On Sat, 04 Aug 2007 16:31:14 +0100, Paul Williamson wrote:
    >
    >> This is also a quote:
    >> "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vicendarum!" and I hope
    >> it is not a stupid question to ask you to provide a translation ! I tried
    >> to google it, but only got referred back to your postings.
    >>
    >> A free latin translation site was no help either. (Maybe it isn't proper
    >> latin :-) )
    >>
    >> Cheers

    > check out
    >

    > I think the 'vincendarum' is wrong though but I will have to
    > ask one of the philologists.

    Thanks Felmon,

    Maybe if I translate my urges into latin I could get away with using them
    as a signature, but I don't think I'll risk it :-))

    Cheers

    Paul (W)

  10. Re: Online update newly installed opensuse 10.2

    Paul Williamson wrote:
    > On Sat, 04 Aug 2007 12:53:13 -0400, felmon davis wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 04 Aug 2007 16:31:14 +0100, Paul Williamson wrote:
    >>
    >>> This is also a quote:
    >>> "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vicendarum!" and I hope
    >>> it is not a stupid question to ask you to provide a translation ! I tried
    >>> to google it, but only got referred back to your postings.
    >>>
    >>> A free latin translation site was no help either. (Maybe it isn't proper
    >>> latin :-) )
    >>>
    >>> Cheers

    >> check out
    >>

    >> I think the 'vincendarum' is wrong though but I will have to
    >> ask one of the philologists.

    > Thanks Felmon,
    >
    > Maybe if I translate my urges into latin I could get away with using them
    > as a signature, but I don't think I'll risk it :-))
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Paul (W)

    Try this on for size...ahem...'Sometimes I get the urge to conquer large
    parts of Europe' Words attributed to some one Caesar or another.

  11. Re: Online update newly installed opensuse 10.2

    > Resolvable w3m 2433-0
    > (http.//gd.tuwien.ac.at/linux/suse.com/suse/update/10.2) Not found.

    Hi Per,

    I recently reinstalled OpenSuSE 10.2 too, and got a similar error
    message, but with some other mirror in Taiwan. I think it's probably
    a problem of the server not being available for a few moments. I
    didn't change anything, just tried again a few hours later, and was
    able to download the updates with no further incident.

    Andy

  12. Re: Online update newly installed opensuse 10.2

    Per Lüchau wrote:

    question is do you need any of the updates?
    you will find depending on what you do with the os/pc you
    don't need the updates. I don't do the updates don't
    even use yast to install software once os is installed.

    can you tell me what 130 updates will do for you?

  13. Re: Online update newly installed opensuse 10.2

    On Sun, 05 Aug 2007 07:54:00 +0100, darklight wrote:

    > Per Lüchau wrote:
    >
    > question is do you need any of the updates? you will find depending on
    > what you do with the os/pc you don't need the updates. I don't do the
    > updates don't even use yast to install software once os is installed.
    >
    > can you tell me what 130 updates will do for you?

    So there are stupid questions.

    Online update is provided to give essential security updates.

  14. Re: Online update newly installed opensuse 10.2

    In graham:

    [Snip...]

    > Online update is provided to give essential security updates.

    I agree completely, especially since Yast Online Update defaults to doing
    only security and recommended fixes (i.e.; only absolutely essential).

    IMO, anyone (especially a server admin) who doesn't keep up with security
    every couple of days or so is negligent and asking for trouble.

    Especially with something as nearly automatic as Yast Online Update. Hell
    I even manage it easily on dialup--low bandwidth is NOT an excuse.

    Now, 130 or so updates is a lot, especially without broadband. If it were
    me, and I had time, I'd get (or wait for) a more recent release with more
    of the fixes already in place for initial install.

    JMO; YMMV...

  15. Re: Online update newly installed opensuse 10.2

    Harold Stevens skrev:
    > In graham:
    >
    > [Snip...]
    >

    >> Online update is provided to give essential security updates.
    >>

    > I agree completely, especially since Yast Online Update defaults to doing
    > only security and recommended fixes (i.e.; only absolutely essential).
    >
    > IMO, anyone (especially a server admin) who doesn't keep up with security
    > every couple of days or so is negligent and asking for trouble.
    >
    > Especially with something as nearly automatic as Yast Online Update. Hell
    > I even manage it easily on dialup--low bandwidth is NOT an excuse.
    >
    > Now, 130 or so updates is a lot, especially without broadband. If it were
    > me, and I had time, I'd get (or wait for) a more recent release with more
    > of the fixes already in place for initial install.
    >
    > JMO; YMMV...

    Thank's everybody for your answers. I tried to get in contact with
    Novell support, but I was not allowed to submit a problem report. It
    showed up that the product I bought 4 month ago, ran out of free support
    last month.
    After googling a little around, I found another repository :
    http://ftp.gwgd.de/pub/suse/update/10.2 , and here everything worked
    just fine. I received all the updates (I believe). It took appr. 2 hours
    on my broadband 1 Mbit line.

    I also found out, that openSuse 10.3 will be released in about 2 month.
    But I don't intend to buy the whole box next time, just download the
    DVDimage and install it.

    regards Per

  16. Re: Online update newly installed opensuse 10.2

    On Sat, 04 Aug 2007 17:58:34 -0400, Barnacle Bill the Sailor wrote:

    >>> check out
    >>>

    >>> I think the 'vincendarum' is wrong though but I will have to
    >>> ask one of the philologists.

    >> Thanks Felmon,
    >>
    >> Maybe if I translate my urges into latin I could get away with using them
    >> as a signature, but I don't think I'll risk it :-))
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >>
    >> Paul (W)

    > Try this on for size...ahem...'Sometimes I get the urge to conquer large
    > parts of Europe' Words attributed to some one Caesar or another.

    dusting off my Latin and reading 'feror' as 'ferror', it would
    literally mean something like 'I am carried by a desire for great
    parts of Europe that need conquering.'

    but what you wrote is obviously the intent. though I bet a Roman
    wouldn't have used the word 'Europe'; I think the Greeks used it
    to refer to Greece (and nearby northern areas) in contrast to 'Asia'. not
    sure though.

    Felmon

  17. Re: Online update newly installed opensuse 10.2

    graham wrote:

    > On Sun, 05 Aug 2007 07:54:00 +0100, darklight wrote:
    >
    >> Per Lüchau wrote:
    >>
    >> question is do you need any of the updates? you will find depending on
    >> what you do with the os/pc you don't need the updates. I don't do the
    >> updates don't even use yast to install software once os is installed.
    >>
    >> can you tell me what 130 updates will do for you?

    > So there are stupid questions.
    >
    > Online update is provided to give essential security updates.

    so why does my os run perfectly with out them considering i am just a
    regular user with nothing to hide and considering my os does every thing i
    want it to do, without any security updates.

    all i said was do you really need all of them.

    can you tell me what they do

  18. Re: Online update newly installed opensuse 10.2

    darklight wrote:
    > all i said was do you really need all of them.
    >
    > can you tell me what they do

    Online update is provided to give essential security updates.

    That you decide that you do not want security updates says more about
    you then about the problem or solution.

    houghi
    --
    Listen do you hear them drawing near in their search for the sinners?
    Feeding on the power of our fear and the evil within us.

  19. Re: Online update newly installed opensuse 10.2

    On Mon, 6 Aug 2007, darklight wrote:-

    >so why does my os run perfectly with out them considering i am just a
    >regular user with nothing to hide and considering my os does every thing i
    >want it to do, without any security updates.

    Here's a few simple questions for you.

    1, Did you used to run a Windows system?

    2, Did you ever use the Windows update? Why?

    3, Did you ever use a firewall? Why?

    4, Did you ever use an anti-virus? Why?

    5, Did you ever update your anti-virus if you used one? Why?

    >all i said was do you really need all of them.

    Only those that apply to software you have installed on your system.

    >can you tell me what they do

    I can't, no. However, if you really want to know what each one is for,
    you can go and look them up by browsing the security-announce mailing
    list archives here:

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    --
    Member of Team Acorn checking nodes at 100 Mnodes/s: www.distributed.net
    RISC OS 3.11 | SUSE 10.0 32bit | SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit

  20. Re: Online update newly installed opensuse 10.2

    David Bolt wrote:
    > Here's a few simple questions for you.

    I will gladly answer. I asume the answers can be a bit disturbing. ;-)

    > 1, Did you used to run a Windows system?

    Sure, the last one I ran was Win95, just after the Win3.1. It was the
    first edition without IE in it.

    > 2, Did you ever use the Windows update? Why?

    No. First I do not think it was available, secondly I re-installed about
    once a month. Thirly, I used a dialup modem and had to pay per minute.
    Not realy a nice way of doing updates, if they were available.

    > 3, Did you ever use a firewall? Why?

    Only the one that came with my OS and at the beginning I did not even do
    that. The result was that I spammed Usenet, as I had a server rnning.
    The moment I noticed, I shut down the service.
    With 95 I never used a firewall.

    > 4, Did you ever use an anti-virus? Why?

    No, I never did. I had no reason to do so. It slowed down my system
    enourmously and the vulnerabilities where not THAT bad as they are now.

    > 5, Did you ever update your anti-virus if you used one? Why?

    Well, no. I never ran one and am not running one now.

    Hope this helps you with whatever you wanted to know.

    houghi