System hangs when I open vfat mount in konqueror - Suse

This is a discussion on System hangs when I open vfat mount in konqueror - Suse ; I am having a problem using konquror 3.5.7 using KDE 3.5.7 release 35.1 under SUSE 10.1. I have a vfat partition mounted on my linux system as /windows/E. About 3/4 of the time, if I select icon, and try to ...

  1. System hangs when I open vfat mount in konqueror

    I am having a problem using konquror 3.5.7 using KDE 3.5.7 release 35.1
    under SUSE 10.1.

    I have a vfat partition mounted on my linux system as /windows/E. About
    3/4 of the time, if I select icon, and try to open it, the window opens
    and shows the contents. But if I select any of the contents (say for
    example, a directory), konquror becomes unresponsive for a while (say 30
    to 45 seconds). It then will then give me an error window saying the
    program is unresponsive, and when I respond, the program ends. If I try
    to go to a directory inside the mount (say /windows/E/Transfer), it will
    open the directory and all is well.

    So far, I have not been able to find out the cause of this problem, or any
    leads to it. Any guidence would be appreciated.

    Thanx

  2. Re: System hangs when I open vfat mount in konqueror

    On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 21:06:19 -0400, Bill Roberts wrote:

    > I am having a problem using konquror 3.5.7 using KDE 3.5.7 release 35.1
    > under SUSE 10.1.
    >
    > I have a vfat partition mounted on my linux system as /windows/E. About
    > 3/4 of the time, if I select icon, and try to open it, the window opens
    > and shows the contents. But if I select any of the contents (say for
    > example, a directory), konquror becomes unresponsive for a while (say 30
    > to 45 seconds). It then will then give me an error window saying the
    > program is unresponsive, and when I respond, the program ends. If I try
    > to go to a directory inside the mount (say /windows/E/Transfer), it will
    > open the directory and all is well.
    >
    > So far, I have not been able to find out the cause of this problem, or any
    > leads to it. Any guidence would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanx

    Hi Bill.

    What does your /etc/fstab entry look like?

    Here are mine (Suse 10.1):

    /dev/hda1 /windows/C ntfs ro,users,gid=users,umask=0002,nls=utf8 0 0
    /dev/hda3 /windows/D vfat users,gid=users,umask=0002,utf8=true 0 0

    HTH
    Kirby

  3. Re: System hangs when I open vfat mount in konqueror

    On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 22:10:19 -0600, kirby wrote:

    > On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 21:06:19 -0400, Bill Roberts wrote:
    >
    >> I am having a problem using konquror 3.5.7 using KDE 3.5.7 release 35.1
    >> under SUSE 10.1.
    >>
    >> I have a vfat partition mounted on my linux system as /windows/E. About
    >> 3/4 of the time, if I select icon, and try to open it, the window opens
    >> and shows the contents. But if I select any of the contents (say for
    >> example, a directory), konquror becomes unresponsive for a while (say 30
    >> to 45 seconds). It then will then give me an error window saying the
    >> program is unresponsive, and when I respond, the program ends. If I try
    >> to go to a directory inside the mount (say /windows/E/Transfer), it will
    >> open the directory and all is well.
    >>
    >> So far, I have not been able to find out the cause of this problem, or
    >> any leads to it. Any guidence would be appreciated.
    >>
    >> Thanx

    > Hi Bill.
    >
    > What does your /etc/fstab entry look like?
    >
    > Here are mine (Suse 10.1):
    >
    > /dev/hda1 /windows/C ntfs ro,users,gid=users,umask=0002,nls=utf8 0 0
    > /dev/hda3 /windows/D vfat users,gid=users,umask=0002,utf8=true 0 0

    My vfat partition is
    /dev/sda6 /windows/E vfat users,gid=users,umask=0000,utf8=true 0 0

    I do want the umask like I have it set in my fstab to get additional write
    enabling.

    The problem only seems to ocucr with konqurer, and is intermittant. About
    one third of the time, konquror works like I expect it to.

    > HTH
    > Kirby

  4. Re: System hangs when I open vfat mount in konqueror

    On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 20:06:03 -0400, Bill Roberts wrote:
    > My vfat partition is
    > /dev/sda6 /windows/E vfat users,gid=users,umask=0000,utf8=true 0 0
    >
    > I do want the umask like I have it set in my fstab to get additional write
    > enabling.
    >
    > The problem only seems to ocucr with konqurer, and is intermittant. About
    > one third of the time, konquror works like I expect it to.

    I've had no trouble with writing permissions even when selecting files via
    Konqueror (Open With ...).

    I have found that I cannot change ownerships on these drives, even as root
    via command line. All files on the vfat drives show up as owned by root.

    e.g. -rwxrwxr-x 1 root users 19456 2006-05-04 09:50 [filename].

+ Reply to Thread