Remote admin via web browser, SLES 9 - Suse

This is a discussion on Remote admin via web browser, SLES 9 - Suse ; I have a SLES 9 machine with GNOME as the desktop environment. I'm trying to accees the graphical interface remotely, but have a few issues. I'm somewhat familiar with Linux (learning every day), but not very familiar with remote X-windows ...

  1. Remote admin via web browser, SLES 9

    I have a SLES 9 machine with GNOME as the desktop environment. I'm
    trying to accees the graphical interface remotely, but have a few
    issues. I'm somewhat familiar with Linux (learning every day), but
    not very familiar with remote X-windows configuration other than
    Cygwin/X redirecting the NetWare GUI, which is why I'm trying to
    configure access across the 5801 port.

    First, it does not appear that the "Remote Administration" setting is
    being saved. When I change it and then re-enter YaST, it still shows
    "Do Not..." as being selected. I've read about a similar issue in an
    older version of the desktop product, but have not read the same about
    the server product, either related to version 9 or not. Is there a
    way to test the setting?

    Second, Novell's TID 3465100 describes configuring VNC for KDE, but
    there I have not found a comparable version for GNOME. Is the default
    window manager, twm, correct? Is there a document that would outline
    what is needed in an GNOME environment?

    Any direction, links or instructions would be appreciated.

    Thank you,
    Dave

  2. Re: Remote admin via web browser, SLES 9

    On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 10:58:35 -0700
    "tom_sawyer70@yahoo.com" wrote:

    > I have a SLES 9 machine with GNOME as the desktop environment. I'm
    > trying to accees the graphical interface remotely, but have a few
    > issues. I'm somewhat familiar with Linux (learning every day), but
    > not very familiar with remote X-windows configuration other than
    > Cygwin/X redirecting the NetWare GUI, which is why I'm trying to
    > configure access across the 5801 port.
    >
    > First, it does not appear that the "Remote Administration" setting is
    > being saved. When I change it and then re-enter YaST, it still shows
    > "Do Not..." as being selected. I've read about a similar issue in an
    > older version of the desktop product, but have not read the same about
    > the server product, either related to version 9 or not. Is there a
    > way to test the setting?
    >
    > Second, Novell's TID 3465100 describes configuring VNC for KDE, but
    > there I have not found a comparable version for GNOME. Is the default
    > window manager, twm, correct? Is there a document that would outline
    > what is needed in an GNOME environment?
    >
    > Any direction, links or instructions would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thank you,
    > Dave

    Hi
    Have a look at nomachine NX http://www.nomachine.com/ the client gives
    you the option to select the desktop.

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)