Firefox - Suse

This is a discussion on Firefox - Suse ; The Java web site says my Java is installed correctly. Java vendor: Sun Microsystems JRE Version: 1.4.2_02-ea Operating System Linux OS Version 2.4.20-8 Why can't I install the Java plugin into Firefox 2.0.0.5 on my Acer Laptop AMD 64bit dual ...

  1. Firefox

    The Java web site says my Java is installed correctly.
    Java vendor: Sun Microsystems
    JRE Version: 1.4.2_02-ea
    Operating System Linux
    OS Version 2.4.20-8

    Why can't I install the Java plugin into Firefox 2.0.0.5 on my Acer
    Laptop AMD 64bit dual core.

    I understand Java 1.4.2 supports 64bit.

    I have Javascript and Java checked in Preferences/Content.

    Why don't it work????
    --

    Broderick Crawford

    Highway Patrol

  2. Re: Firefox

    On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 15:50:40 -0400, Broderick Crawford brought this
    comment to my attention:

    > The Java web site says my Java is installed correctly. Java vendor:
    > Sun Microsystems
    > JRE Version: 1.4.2_02-ea
    > Operating System Linux
    > OS Version 2.4.20-8
    >
    > Why can't I install the Java plugin into Firefox 2.0.0.5 on my Acer
    > Laptop AMD 64bit dual core.
    >
    > I understand Java 1.4.2 supports 64bit.
    >
    > I have Javascript and Java checked in Preferences/Content.
    >
    > Why don't it work????

    Being there are newer versions available, simply update and start from there...
    It MAY help to completely uninstall first, then update.

    Might want to treat yourself to a newer kernel, too...

    Assuming--you are doing system updates on this computer... ?

  3. Re: Firefox

    just plain rob wrote:
    > On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 15:50:40 -0400, Broderick Crawford brought this
    > comment to my attention:
    >
    >> The Java web site says my Java is installed correctly. Java vendor:
    >> Sun Microsystems
    >> JRE Version: 1.4.2_02-ea
    >> Operating System Linux
    >> OS Version 2.4.20-8
    >>
    >> Why can't I install the Java plugin into Firefox 2.0.0.5 on my Acer
    >> Laptop AMD 64bit dual core.
    >>
    >> I understand Java 1.4.2 supports 64bit.
    >>
    >> I have Javascript and Java checked in Preferences/Content.
    >>
    >> Why don't it work????

    > Being there are newer versions available, simply update and start from there...
    > It MAY help to completely uninstall first, then update.
    >
    > Might want to treat yourself to a newer kernel, too...
    >
    > Assuming--you are doing system updates on this computer... ?

    I've tried 1.5 and 1.6 of jave and went back to 1.4 since it's the only
    one that supports 64 bit. I go with auto-updates on the kernel. That
    don't explain my problem.

    --

    Broderick Crawford

    Highway Patrol

  4. Re: Firefox

    In article <46a8fb04$0$29683$4c368faf@roadrunner.com>,
    Broderick Crawford wrote:
    > The Java web site says my Java is installed correctly.
    > Java vendor: Sun Microsystems
    > JRE Version: 1.4.2_02-ea
    > Operating System Linux
    > OS Version 2.4.20-8
    >
    > Why can't I install the Java plugin into Firefox 2.0.0.5 on my Acer
    > Laptop AMD 64bit dual core.
    >
    > I understand Java 1.4.2 supports 64bit.
    >
    > I have Javascript and Java checked in Preferences/Content.
    >
    > Why don't it work????

    This may or may not help, but did you make the link in */firefox/plugins as
    shown here:

    ln -s /usr/java/jre1.4.2_xx/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so* \

    */firefox/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so

    I assume the path shown is where your Java Run-Time is located. Also, the *
    in front of firefox/plugins is your path to Firefox. I'm using ver. 1.5.0 on
    an i386 machine and Firefox has no problems using Java with this link in
    place.

    HTH

    W.

  5. Re: Firefox

    watcher@moog.netaxs.com wrote:
    > In article <46a8fb04$0$29683$4c368faf@roadrunner.com>,
    > Broderick Crawford wrote:
    >> The Java web site says my Java is installed correctly.
    >> Java vendor: Sun Microsystems
    >> JRE Version: 1.4.2_02-ea
    >> Operating System Linux
    >> OS Version 2.4.20-8
    >>
    >> Why can't I install the Java plugin into Firefox 2.0.0.5 on my Acer
    >> Laptop AMD 64bit dual core.
    >>
    >> I understand Java 1.4.2 supports 64bit.
    >>
    >> I have Javascript and Java checked in Preferences/Content.
    >>
    >> Why don't it work????

    > This may or may not help, but did you make the link in */firefox/plugins as
    > shown here:
    >
    > ln -s /usr/java/jre1.4.2_xx/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so* \
    >
    > */firefox/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so
    >
    > I assume the path shown is where your Java Run-Time is located. Also, the *
    > in front of firefox/plugins is your path to Firefox. I'm using ver. 1.5.0 on
    > an i386 machine and Firefox has no problems using Java with this link in
    > place.
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > W.

    Yes, I did that. I have
    /usr/lib64/firefox/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so

    --

    Broderick Crawford

    Highway Patrol

  6. Re: Firefox

    Broderick Crawford schrieb:
    > watcher@moog.netaxs.com wrote:
    >> In article <46a8fb04$0$29683$4c368faf@roadrunner.com>,
    >> Broderick Crawford wrote:
    >>> The Java web site says my Java is installed correctly.
    >>> Java vendor: Sun Microsystems
    >>> JRE Version: 1.4.2_02-ea
    >>> Operating System Linux
    >>> OS Version 2.4.20-8
    >>>
    >>> Why can't I install the Java plugin into Firefox 2.0.0.5 on my Acer
    >>> Laptop AMD 64bit dual core.
    >>>
    >>> I understand Java 1.4.2 supports 64bit.
    >>>
    >>> I have Javascript and Java checked in Preferences/Content.
    >>>
    >>> Why don't it work????

    >> This may or may not help, but did you make the link in */firefox/plugins as
    >> shown here:
    >>
    >> ln -s /usr/java/jre1.4.2_xx/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so* \
    >>
    >> */firefox/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so
    >>
    >> I assume the path shown is where your Java Run-Time is located. Also, the *
    >> in front of firefox/plugins is your path to Firefox. I'm using ver. 1.5.0 on
    >> an i386 machine and Firefox has no problems using Java with this link in
    >> place.
    >>
    >> HTH
    >>
    >> W.
    >>

    > Yes, I did that. I have
    > /usr/lib64/firefox/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so

    Check by writing in the address line of firefox:

    about:buildconfig

    if your firefox is 64 bit or 32 bit.

    If 32 bit as I assume install the 32 bit Java and make the corresponding link. It worked
    with my 64 bit Suse.

    Ciao

    Karl

  7. Re: Firefox

    karl wrote:
    > Broderick Crawford schrieb:
    >> watcher@moog.netaxs.com wrote:

    >>> This may or may not help, but did you make the link in */firefox/plugins as
    >>> shown here:
    >>>
    >>> ln -s /usr/java/jre1.4.2_xx/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so* \
    >>>
    >>> */firefox/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so
    >>>
    >>> I assume the path shown is where your Java Run-Time is located. Also, the *
    >>> in front of firefox/plugins is your path to Firefox. I'm using ver. 1.5.0 on
    >>> an i386 machine and Firefox has no problems using Java with this link in
    >>> place.
    >>>
    >>> HTH
    >>>
    >>> W.
    >>>

    >> Yes, I did that. I have
    >> /usr/lib64/firefox/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so
    >>

    > Check by writing in the address line of firefox:
    >
    > about:buildconfig
    >
    > if your firefox is 64 bit or 32 bit.
    >
    > If 32 bit as I assume install the 32 bit Java and make the corresponding link. It worked
    > with my 64 bit Suse.
    >
    > Ciao
    >
    > Karl

    about:buildconfig gives me : x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu

    --

    Broderick Crawford

    Highway Patrol

  8. Re: Firefox

    Broderick Crawford schrieb:

    > about:buildconfig gives me : x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu

    Maybe you have to set the java home variable. See:

    http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...d.php?t=297531

    Ciao

    Karl

  9. Re: Firefox

    karl wrote:
    > Broderick Crawford schrieb:
    >

    >> about:buildconfig gives me : x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
    >>

    > Maybe you have to set the java home variable. See:
    >

    > http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...d.php?t=297531
    >
    > Ciao
    >
    > Karl

    This is starting to get like WIndoz.

    --

    Broderick Crawford

    Highway Patrol

  10. Re: Firefox

    On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 18:17:29 -0400, Broderick Crawford wrote:

    > karl wrote:
    >> Broderick Crawford schrieb:
    >>

    >>> about:buildconfig gives me : x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
    >>>

    >> Maybe you have to set the java home variable. See:
    >>

    >> http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...d.php?t=297531
    >>
    >> Ciao
    >>
    >> Karl

    > This is starting to get like WIndoz.

    Yes, if it works, it's great. If it don't, your screwed.

  11. Re: Firefox

    Vance Howard wrote:
    >> This is starting to get like WIndoz.

    > Yes, if it works, it's great. If it don't, your screwed.

    To me it is more: if it works, it's great. If it doesn't, I just use
    another pre-installed program that I have available by default.

    houghi
    --
    Microsoft says, "Where do you want to go today?"
    Apple says, "Where do you want to go tomorrow?"

+ Reply to Thread