Hybrid Environment - Suse

This is a discussion on Hybrid Environment - Suse ; Hey Guys, I am still in a thinking stage and will like to learn from your experience, and was wondering if any of you folks have a hybrid environment i.e. Linux and Proprietary systems and what kind of issues do ...

  1. Hybrid Environment

    Hey Guys, I am still in a thinking stage and will like to learn from
    your experience, and was wondering if any of you folks have a hybrid
    environment i.e. Linux and Proprietary systems and what kind of issues
    do you run into. And also, what pieces of technology you have - which
    are open source and which ones you have are proprietary and any
    changes you anticipate 1 year out. Greatly appreciate your help. -
    John Smith

  2. Re: Hybrid Environment

    In article <1185194653.148869.233840@d55g2000hsg.googlegroups. com>,
    wrote:

    >Hey Guys, I am still in a thinking stage and will like to learn from
    >your experience, and was wondering if any of you folks have a hybrid
    >environment i.e. Linux and Proprietary systems and what kind of issues
    >do you run into. And also, what pieces of technology you have - which
    >are open source and which ones you have are proprietary and any
    >changes you anticipate 1 year out. Greatly appreciate your help.

    Yes, we have a diverse environment, but your question is very broad.
    Are you interested in

    1. File sharing? We use smb and nfs.

    2. Custom applications? Proprietary compilers often have different
    options and slight differences. gnu compilers can give you a nice
    common denominator but the code isn't quite as fast as proprietary
    compilers.

    3. Document preparation? One can use openoffice on many platforms.
    Are other applications of interest to you?

    4. Are you interestedin proprietary unix systems or the evil empire?

+ Reply to Thread