changed DVD drive, and now CDs dont play? - Suse

This is a discussion on changed DVD drive, and now CDs dont play? - Suse ; Hi I recently changed the DVD drive in my linux box, upgrading to a newer model. Since then I have used the new DVD drive to watch DVDs, read data CDs and DVDs, and burn data DVDs. This evening, however, ...

  1. changed DVD drive, and now CDs dont play?

    Hi
    I recently changed the DVD drive in my linux box, upgrading to a newer
    model. Since then I have used the new DVD drive to watch DVDs, read data CDs
    and DVDs, and burn data DVDs. This evening, however, I went to play a CD in
    the drive, and none of the applications will read the CD. I have tried a few
    CDs, and none are working, yet all work in my other computer. When I tried
    to rip the CD to see if that was a work around, this also failed. Finally I
    tried Kaffeine (0.8.4, using xine engine), and this worked to play the CD,
    but did not rip. So I found a solution for the playing of the CD, but a
    deeper mystery as to why I cannot rip even then.

    I am running Suse 10.2, and I have tried playing the CD using Amarok
    (says Could not read AudioCD), and have tried ripping using :
    Kaffeine (crashes, comes up with the KDE Crash Handler saying a signal
    11 was caused, with no valid backtrace), Soundjuicer (lists the
    tracks correctly, but then says Sound Juicer could not extract this CD.
    Reason: Could not create Gstreamer encoders for CD Quality
    Lossy. - the last part of the message changes according to whether I try
    Lossless or lower quality, but same Gstreamer message. This error
    message occurs whether I try Ogg format or mp3)
    Grip (Error: Unable to initialize [/dev/cdrom] - so doesnt even list
    the CD tracks)

    So in some applications the CD can play, but fail to rip, and in others it
    is reported as not being able to initialise. Would any one have any
    suggestions as to what I am missing?

    Bruce

  2. Re: changed DVD drive, and now CDs dont play?

    Hi Bruce

    On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 00:10:05 +1000, Bruce wrote:
    > I recently changed the DVD drive in my linux box, upgrading to a
    > newer model.

    > So in some applications the CD can play, but fail to rip, and in others
    > it is reported as not being able to initialise. Would any one have any
    > suggestions as to what I am missing?

    Just a thought, but this sounds to me like a CD with one of the latest
    forms of copy protection, which make it unsuitable for us on a computer.
    One of the main music examination boards in the UK put this on their
    latest release of CDs of examination music. Problem is, it can prevent
    them from being played on other media as well, like some stand-alone DVD
    players, Playstation machines etc. They can, however, still be played on
    some older CDs rom drives, which might explain your problem.

    The CDs have a symbol on them showing a computer monitor crossed out.

    HTH

    Paul (W)

  3. Re: changed DVD drive, and now CDs dont play?

    Bruce wrote:
    > Hi
    > I recently changed the DVD drive in my linux box, upgrading to a newer
    > model. Since then I have used the new DVD drive to watch DVDs, read data CDs
    > and DVDs, and burn data DVDs. This evening, however, I went to play a CD in
    > the drive, and none of the applications will read the CD. I have tried a few
    > CDs, and none are working, yet all work in my other computer. When I tried
    > to rip the CD to see if that was a work around, this also failed. Finally I
    > tried Kaffeine (0.8.4, using xine engine), and this worked to play the CD,
    > but did not rip. So I found a solution for the playing of the CD, but a
    > deeper mystery as to why I cannot rip even then.

    You really need to be specific. What DVD drive did you upgrade to?
    I mean, there are some REALLY bad devices out there (e.g. LG's
    Superdrive with Lightscribe for example). Tell us what you upgraded
    to and that might help.

  4. Re: changed DVD drive, and now CDs dont play?

    "Paul Williamson" wrote in message
    newsan.2007.07.22.15.08.21.409943@zetnet.co.uk...
    > Hi Bruce
    >
    > On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 00:10:05 +1000, Bruce wrote:
    >> I recently changed the DVD drive in my linux box, upgrading to a
    >> newer model.

    >> So in some applications the CD can play, but fail to rip, and in others
    >> it is reported as not being able to initialise. Would any one have any
    >> suggestions as to what I am missing?

    > Just a thought, but this sounds to me like a CD with one of the latest
    > forms of copy protection, which make it unsuitable for us on a computer.
    > One of the main music examination boards in the UK put this on their
    > latest release of CDs of examination music. Problem is, it can prevent
    > them from being played on other media as well, like some stand-alone DVD
    > players, Playstation machines etc. They can, however, still be played on
    > some older CDs rom drives, which might explain your problem.
    >
    > The CDs have a symbol on them showing a computer monitor crossed out.
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > Paul (W)

    Thanks Paul - that was one of my thoughts too, but I am careful to avoid
    buying any CDs that have the copy protection rubbish on them. I could not
    see any copy protection logos on the CD, but I have found that once before
    with one of the Sony ventures. So I have also backtracked to a CD I am
    confident does not have copy protection on it (I dont think copy protection
    was thought of when the Miles Davis CD I tried was manufactured) and still
    had the same issue.

    I will keep thinking about it though, and appreciate your help.

    Bruce

  5. Re: changed DVD drive, and now CDs dont play?

    "Chris Cox" wrote in message
    > Bruce wrote:
    >> Hi
    >> I recently changed the DVD drive in my linux box, upgrading to a
    >> newer
    >> model. Since then I have used the new DVD drive to watch DVDs, read data
    >> CDs
    >> and DVDs, and burn data DVDs. This evening, however, I went to play a CD
    >> in
    >> the drive, and none of the applications will read the CD. I have tried a
    >> few
    >> CDs, and none are working, yet all work in my other computer. When I
    >> tried
    >> to rip the CD to see if that was a work around, this also failed. Finally
    >> tried Kaffeine (0.8.4, using xine engine), and this worked to play the
    >> CD,
    >> but did not rip. So I found a solution for the playing of the CD, but a
    >> deeper mystery as to why I cannot rip even then.

    > You really need to be specific. What DVD drive did you upgrade to?
    > I mean, there are some REALLY bad devices out there (e.g. LG's
    > Superdrive with Lightscribe for example). Tell us what you upgraded
    > to and that might help.

    Thanks Chris. I will try to be more specific - the DVD player I swapped out
    was a Liteon SMH-165H6S (which, coincidently, has Litescribe, according to
    the logo on the front), and I swapped in a Pioneer DVR-A12XL drive.

    I am interested in knowing more about what makes an optic drive a bad
    device, so I know what to avoid in the future. Did you have any links for
    me?

    Bruce

  6. Re: changed DVD drive, and now CDs dont play?

    Bruce wrote:
    > "Chris Cox" wrote in message
    >> Bruce wrote:
    >>> Hi
    >>> I recently changed the DVD drive in my linux box, upgrading to a
    >>> newer
    >>> model. Since then I have used the new DVD drive to watch DVDs, read data
    >>> CDs
    >>> and DVDs, and burn data DVDs. This evening, however, I went to play a CD
    >>> in
    >>> the drive, and none of the applications will read the CD. I have tried a
    >>> few
    >>> CDs, and none are working, yet all work in my other computer. When I
    >>> tried
    >>> to rip the CD to see if that was a work around, this also failed. Finally
    >>> tried Kaffeine (0.8.4, using xine engine), and this worked to play the
    >>> CD,
    >>> but did not rip. So I found a solution for the playing of the CD, but a
    >>> deeper mystery as to why I cannot rip even then.

    >> You really need to be specific. What DVD drive did you upgrade to?
    >> I mean, there are some REALLY bad devices out there (e.g. LG's
    >> Superdrive with Lightscribe for example). Tell us what you upgraded
    >> to and that might help.

    > Thanks Chris. I will try to be more specific - the DVD player I swapped out
    > was a Liteon SMH-165H6S (which, coincidently, has Litescribe, according to
    > the logo on the front), and I swapped in a Pioneer DVR-A12XL drive.
    >
    > I am interested in knowing more about what makes an optic drive a bad
    > device, so I know what to avoid in the future. Did you have any links for
    > me?

    One place to look are forums like
    http://club.cdfreaks.com/

    Which is great place to see if the drive is loser (Linux or not).
    I bought one of those new LG Lightscribe SuperDrives... let's just
    say it's gone now... well.. it's in another box for anytime I want
    to make a Lightscribe label under Linux (which does work quite
    well under Linux).

+ Reply to Thread