Problem establishing remote connection using NX Client/Server - Suse

This is a discussion on Problem establishing remote connection using NX Client/Server - Suse ; I would like to connect to my Linux workstation (running openSUSE 10.2) from my Windows XP laptop. I installed the FreeNX Server on my workstation and configured according to: http://en.opensuse.org/FreeNX_Server_HOWTO . I also downloaded and installed the NX client on ...

  1. Problem establishing remote connection using NX Client/Server

    I would like to connect to my Linux workstation (running openSUSE 10.2) from
    my Windows XP laptop. I installed the FreeNX Server on my workstation and
    configured according to: http://en.opensuse.org/FreeNX_Server_HOWTO.

    I also downloaded and installed the NX client on the laptop.

    However, when I try to connect from the laptop (which is on the same network
    as the workstation) I get following message towards the end of the
    connection process:

    "The connection with the remote server was shut down. Please check the state
    of your network connection."

    The log in the NX client window also shows the following errors:

    "Error: Failure reading from the peer proxy"
    "Error: Connection with remote peer broken"

    Does anyone know what I might be doing wrong? The info I've read make it
    sound like this should be simple to set up, but it's not proving to be so.

    Thanks for any help.

    Pat

  2. Re: Problem establishing remote connection using NX Client/Server

    pat wrote:
    > I would like to connect to my Linux workstation (running openSUSE 10.2) from
    > my Windows XP laptop. I installed the FreeNX Server on my workstation and
    > configured according to: http://en.opensuse.org/FreeNX_Server_HOWTO.
    >
    > I also downloaded and installed the NX client on the laptop.
    >
    > However, when I try to connect from the laptop (which is on the same network
    > as the workstation) I get following message towards the end of the
    > connection process:
    >
    > "The connection with the remote server was shut down. Please check the state
    > of your network connection."
    >
    > The log in the NX client window also shows the following errors:
    >
    > "Error: Failure reading from the peer proxy"
    > "Error: Connection with remote peer broken"
    >
    > Does anyone know what I might be doing wrong? The info I've read make it
    > sound like this should be simple to set up, but it's not proving to be so.
    >
    > Thanks for any help.
    >
    > Pat

    Have you got Putty on your windows machine to try if you can ssh
    to the server from a terminal?

    Ssh needs to work for FreeNX to work.

    I have made notes about installing FreeNX, you might like to
    check it out:

    http://waxborg.servepics.com/English...FreeNX.en.html

    What is your version of the FreeNX client?
    I've had trouble with some client.

    --
    Vahis
    Motorcycling, Boating and openSUSE: http://waxborg.servepics.com

  3. Re: Problem establishing remote connection using NX Client/Server

    "Vahis" wrote in message
    news:jSeoi.195064$3%5.70340@reader1.news.saunalaht i.fi...
    > pat wrote:
    >> I would like to connect to my Linux workstation (running openSUSE 10.2)
    >> from
    >> my Windows XP laptop. I installed the FreeNX Server on my workstation
    >> and
    >> configured according to: http://en.opensuse.org/FreeNX_Server_HOWTO.
    >>
    >> I also downloaded and installed the NX client on the laptop.
    >>
    >> However, when I try to connect from the laptop (which is on the same
    >> network
    >> as the workstation) I get following message towards the end of the
    >> connection process:
    >>
    >> "The connection with the remote server was shut down. Please check the
    >> state
    >> of your network connection."
    >>
    >> The log in the NX client window also shows the following errors:
    >>
    >> "Error: Failure reading from the peer proxy"
    >> "Error: Connection with remote peer broken"
    >>
    >> Does anyone know what I might be doing wrong? The info I've read make it
    >> sound like this should be simple to set up, but it's not proving to be
    >> so.
    >>
    >> Thanks for any help.
    >>
    >> Pat
    >>

    > Have you got Putty on your windows machine to try if you can ssh
    > to the server from a terminal?
    >
    > Ssh needs to work for FreeNX to work.
    >
    > I have made notes about installing FreeNX, you might like to
    > check it out:
    >
    > http://waxborg.servepics.com/English...FreeNX.en.html
    >
    > What is your version of the FreeNX client?
    > I've had trouble with some client.
    >
    > --
    > Vahis
    > Motorcycling, Boating and openSUSE: http://waxborg.servepics.com
    > "Why wait any longer for the world to begin?
    > You can have your cake and eat it, too." Bob Dylan

    Vahis - Thanks for the reply.

    I don't have Putty on my laptop. I looked at it (on the web) but am not
    sure how to use it. I'm pretty much a newbie to all of this ;^)

    I'm using the NX Client Desktop Edition for Windows (version 3.0.0-73) which
    I downloaded off of the NoMachines website. Is this the same as the FreeNX
    client? The only free editions I saw were for Linux and Solaris.

    From what I can tell, the client appears to see the server, and during the
    initial connection process downloads stuff from the server. It's only at
    the very end (when the red screen with the logo appears) that the connection
    is suddenly shut down.

    Thanks again for the help. -Pat

  4. Re: Problem establishing remote connection using NX Client/Server

    pat wrote:
    > "Vahis" wrote in message
    > news:jSeoi.195064$3%5.70340@reader1.news.saunalaht i.fi...
    >> pat wrote:
    >>> I would like to connect to my Linux workstation (running openSUSE 10.2)
    >>> from
    >>> my Windows XP laptop. I installed the FreeNX Server on my workstation
    >>> and
    >>> configured according to: http://en.opensuse.org/FreeNX_Server_HOWTO.
    >>>
    >>> I also downloaded and installed the NX client on the laptop.
    >>>
    >>> However, when I try to connect from the laptop (which is on the same
    >>> network
    >>> as the workstation) I get following message towards the end of the
    >>> connection process:
    >>>
    >>> "The connection with the remote server was shut down. Please check the
    >>> state
    >>> of your network connection."
    >>>
    >>> The log in the NX client window also shows the following errors:
    >>>
    >>> "Error: Failure reading from the peer proxy"
    >>> "Error: Connection with remote peer broken"
    >>>
    >>> Does anyone know what I might be doing wrong? The info I've read make it
    >>> sound like this should be simple to set up, but it's not proving to be
    >>> so.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for any help.
    >>>
    >>> Pat
    >>>

    >> Have you got Putty on your windows machine to try if you can ssh
    >> to the server from a terminal?
    >>
    >> Ssh needs to work for FreeNX to work.
    >>
    >> I have made notes about installing FreeNX, you might like to
    >> check it out:
    >>
    >> http://waxborg.servepics.com/English...FreeNX.en.html
    >>
    >> What is your version of the FreeNX client?
    >> I've had trouble with some client.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Vahis
    >> Motorcycling, Boating and openSUSE: http://waxborg.servepics.com
    >> "Why wait any longer for the world to begin?
    >> You can have your cake and eat it, too." Bob Dylan
    >>

    > Vahis - Thanks for the reply.
    >
    > I don't have Putty on my laptop. I looked at it (on the web) but am not
    > sure how to use it. I'm pretty much a newbie to all of this ;^)
    >
    > I'm using the NX Client Desktop Edition for Windows (version 3.0.0-73) which
    > I downloaded off of the NoMachines website. Is this the same as the FreeNX
    > client? The only free editions I saw were for Linux and Solaris.
    >
    > From what I can tell, the client appears to see the server, and during the
    > initial connection process downloads stuff from the server. It's only at
    > the very end (when the red screen with the logo appears) that the connection
    > is suddenly shut down.
    >
    > Thanks again for the help. -Pat

    Try this:

    Uninstall the NX Client from your XP.

    Then try to get a 1.5 client from here:

    http://www.telemedia.ch/publ/freenx-setup-howto.html

    I don't know about the 3.x but the 2.x client don't work for me
    in openSUSE 10.2 FreeNX server.

    --
    "Only wimps use tape backup: _real_ men just upload their
    important stuff on ftp, and let the rest of the world mirror it "

  5. Re: Problem establishing remote connection using NX Client/Server

    pat wrote:

    > I don't have Putty on my laptop. I looked at it (on the web) but am not
    > sure how to use it. I'm pretty much a newbie to all of this ;^)

    Putty will make an ssh connection to your machine. There is not much to
    understand. Launch Puttyı, enter the remote machines IP adres or
    domainname, enter the login and password of the remote machine,
    connected.
    All you need to do is see that ssh is not firewalled.

    > I'm using the NX Client Desktop Edition for Windows (version 3.0.0-73) which
    > I downloaded off of the NoMachines website. Is this the same as the FreeNX
    > client? The only free editions I saw were for Linux and Solaris.

    You need to have the same version on your machine as server and as
    client. Otherwise it won't work.

    > From what I can tell, the client appears to see the server, and during the
    > initial connection process downloads stuff from the server. It's only at
    > the very end (when the red screen with the logo appears) that the connection
    > is suddenly shut down.

    Most likely two different versions. Be sure to turn off the firewall
    temporarily to see if there are no issues there.

    If this is inside a local network, an other way is to do the following:
    YaST, Network Services, Remote Administration. Activate that and you can
    browse to your machine. THIS IS NOT ENCRYPTED!

    houghi
    --
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust,
    sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.

  6. Re: Problem establishing remote connection using NX Client/Server

    pat wrote:

    > I would like to connect to my Linux workstation (running openSUSE 10.2)
    > from
    > my Windows XP laptop. I installed the FreeNX Server on my workstation and
    > configured according to: http://en.opensuse.org/FreeNX_Server_HOWTO.
    >
    > I also downloaded and installed the NX client on the laptop.
    >
    > However, when I try to connect from the laptop (which is on the same
    > network as the workstation) I get following message towards the end of the
    > connection process:
    >
    > "The connection with the remote server was shut down. Please check the
    > state of your network connection."
    >
    > The log in the NX client window also shows the following errors:
    >
    > "Error: Failure reading from the peer proxy"
    > "Error: Connection with remote peer broken"
    >
    > Does anyone know what I might be doing wrong? The info I've read make it
    > sound like this should be simple to set up, but it's not proving to be so.
    >
    > Thanks for any help.
    >
    > Pat

    Had a similar problem last week on 32 and 64 bit Suse 10.2. After installing
    a more recent version of FreeNX (0.7.0-8.1) and NX (2.1.0-126.1) from

    http://software.opensuse.org/download/NX/openSUSE_10.2/

    it worked on both systems. Clients were NoMachine nxclient V1.5 and V3.

    Chris
    --
    Ich will auch mal 'ne Signatur werden

  7. Re: Problem establishing remote connection using NX Client/Server

    houghi wrote:
    > pat wrote:
    >
    >> I don't have Putty on my laptop. I looked at it (on the web) but am not
    >> sure how to use it. I'm pretty much a newbie to all of this ;^)

    > Putty will make an ssh connection to your machine. There is not much to
    > understand. Launch Puttyı, enter the remote machines IP adres or
    > domainname, enter the login and password of the remote machine,
    > connected.
    > All you need to do is see that ssh is not firewalled.

    Thanks for info.

    I downloaded and ran Putty and was able to log on to my workstation
    without any problem. So it looks like the ssh connection is fine.

    Unfortunately, even after updating FreeNX to a newer version
    (0.7.0-8.1), I still can not connect from the NX client for Windows
    (v1.5.0-138). The log still indicates that the connection with the
    remote peer is being broken.

    Any further ideas?

  8. Re: Problem establishing remote connection using NX Client/Server

    Christian H. Tscheuschner wrote:
    > pat wrote:
    >
    >> I would like to connect to my Linux workstation (running openSUSE 10.2)
    >> from
    >> my Windows XP laptop. I installed the FreeNX Server on my workstation and
    >> configured according to: http://en.opensuse.org/FreeNX_Server_HOWTO.
    >>
    >> I also downloaded and installed the NX client on the laptop.
    >>
    >> However, when I try to connect from the laptop (which is on the same
    >> network as the workstation) I get following message towards the end of the
    >> connection process:
    >>
    >> "The connection with the remote server was shut down. Please check the
    >> state of your network connection."
    >>
    >> The log in the NX client window also shows the following errors:
    >>
    >> "Error: Failure reading from the peer proxy"
    >> "Error: Connection with remote peer broken"
    >>
    >> Does anyone know what I might be doing wrong? The info I've read make it
    >> sound like this should be simple to set up, but it's not proving to be so.
    >>
    >> Thanks for any help.
    >>
    >> Pat

    > Had a similar problem last week on 32 and 64 bit Suse 10.2. After installing
    > a more recent version of FreeNX (0.7.0-8.1) and NX (2.1.0-126.1) from
    >
    > http://software.opensuse.org/download/NX/openSUSE_10.2/
    >
    > it worked on both systems. Clients were NoMachine nxclient V1.5 and V3.
    >
    > Chris

    Chris, Which version did you have on 64-bit Suse? NX v2.1.0-126.1? I
    currently have FreeNX v0.7.0-8.1 on 64-bit openSUSE 10.2 (server) and
    the version 1.5.0-138 NX client on my Windows XP laptop. But they still
    can't connect. So I'm wondering whether I should remove FreeNX and
    install the NX free version (from NoMachines' website) instead.

    Any thoughts? -Pat

  9. Re: Problem establishing remote connection using NX Client/Server

    Pat wrote:

    > Christian H. Tscheuschner wrote:
    >> pat wrote:

    >> Had a similar problem last week on 32 and 64 bit Suse 10.2. After
    >> installing a more recent version of FreeNX (0.7.0-8.1) and NX
    >> (2.1.0-126.1) from
    >>
    >> http://software.opensuse.org/download/NX/openSUSE_10.2/
    >>
    >> it worked on both systems. Clients were NoMachine nxclient V1.5 and V3.
    >>
    >> Chris

    > Chris, Which version did you have on 64-bit Suse? NX v2.1.0-126.1? I
    > currently have FreeNX v0.7.0-8.1 on 64-bit openSUSE 10.2 (server) and
    > the version 1.5.0-138 NX client on my Windows XP laptop.

    As of my experience the FreeNX version does not really matter: My problems
    disappeared after upgrading NX (NX proxy system for X11) from v1.5.0-73
    (which is on the 10.2 DVD) to v2.1.0-126.1 (from
    software.opensuse.org/download/NX) on a 64-bit openSUSE 10.2.
    Later tests on a 32bit openSUSE 10.2 had exactly the same results.

    > But they still
    > can't connect. So I'm wondering whether I should remove FreeNX and
    > install the NX free version (from NoMachines' website) instead.

    Be aware, that the NX free version supports only two connections/users at
    any given time. Also keep in mind, that you have to install the following 3
    components from NoMachine to make it work:

    - NX client for Linux
    - NX Node for Linux
    - NX FreeEdition for Linux

    I've tested the "default" openSUSE 10.2 FreeNX v0.5.0-25 (which
    requires "default" NX v1.5.0-73 from DVD) on a 32bit AND a 64bit machine:
    Never got it to work. Then I tested the NoMachine server version
    (v3.0.0-63) on 32bit and 64bit systems: Both worked with all kind of
    clients. But due to the user/connection limits with the NoMachine version
    I've changed both servers to run FreeNX v0.7.0-8.1 and NX v2.1.0-126.1 and
    again all kind of clients (from NoMachine) worked without any problems.
    I've never got the knx linux client to connect (v0.1-37.1 and v0.1-61 32bit
    AND 64bit).

    > Any thoughts? -Pat

    It might help to show the linux system messages while connecting from your
    windows client. (i.e. >tail -f /var/log/messages ) It will give you
    additional information

    HTH,
    Chris

    --
    Ich will auch mal 'ne Signatur werden

  10. Re: Problem establishing remote connection using NX Client/Server

    Christian H. Tscheuschner wrote:
    > Pat wrote:
    >
    >> Christian H. Tscheuschner wrote:
    >>> pat wrote:

    >>> Had a similar problem last week on 32 and 64 bit Suse 10.2. After
    >>> installing a more recent version of FreeNX (0.7.0-8.1) and NX
    >>> (2.1.0-126.1) from
    >>>
    >>> http://software.opensuse.org/download/NX/openSUSE_10.2/
    >>>
    >>> it worked on both systems. Clients were NoMachine nxclient V1.5 and V3.
    >>>
    >>> Chris

    >> Chris, Which version did you have on 64-bit Suse? NX v2.1.0-126.1? I
    >> currently have FreeNX v0.7.0-8.1 on 64-bit openSUSE 10.2 (server) and
    >> the version 1.5.0-138 NX client on my Windows XP laptop.

    > As of my experience the FreeNX version does not really matter: My problems
    > disappeared after upgrading NX (NX proxy system for X11) from v1.5.0-73
    > (which is on the 10.2 DVD) to v2.1.0-126.1 (from
    > software.opensuse.org/download/NX) on a 64-bit openSUSE 10.2.
    > Later tests on a 32bit openSUSE 10.2 had exactly the same results.

    Yes! Updating the NX proxy system to version 2.1.0-126 fixed it for me
    also. I can now connect to my workstation without any problem. Thanks!

    >> But they still
    >> can't connect. So I'm wondering whether I should remove FreeNX and
    >> install the NX free version (from NoMachines' website) instead.
    >>

    > Be aware, that the NX free version supports only two connections/users at
    > any given time. Also keep in mind, that you have to install the following 3
    > components from NoMachine to make it work:
    >
    > - NX client for Linux
    > - NX Node for Linux
    > - NX FreeEdition for Linux
    >
    > I've tested the "default" openSUSE 10.2 FreeNX v0.5.0-25 (which
    > requires "default" NX v1.5.0-73 from DVD) on a 32bit AND a 64bit machine:
    > Never got it to work. Then I tested the NoMachine server version
    > (v3.0.0-63) on 32bit and 64bit systems: Both worked with all kind of
    > clients. But due to the user/connection limits with the NoMachine version
    > I've changed both servers to run FreeNX v0.7.0-8.1 and NX v2.1.0-126.1 and
    > again all kind of clients (from NoMachine) worked without any problems.
    > I've never got the knx linux client to connect (v0.1-37.1 and v0.1-61 32bit
    > AND 64bit).

    I wasn't aware of the two connection limit with NX free. But
    regardless, I wasn't able to get it to work either, and now that FreeNX
    is working there really isn't much need to.

    My next challenge is to get this work over the internet (so I can access
    my workstation while on the road). That will likely be the topic of
    another post though.

    Thanks again! -Pat

+ Reply to Thread