Suse 10.2- lost X server - Suse

This is a discussion on Suse 10.2- lost X server - Suse ; Hi Folks, About a week ago, I loaded a kernel update from Suse. It loaded ok but now I have no GUI. How do I re-install the graphic driver (nvidia) to work with this kernel update.??? Help will be most ...

  1. Suse 10.2- lost X server

    Hi Folks,

    About a week ago, I loaded a kernel update from Suse. It loaded ok but
    now I have no GUI.

    How do I re-install the graphic driver (nvidia) to work with this kernel
    update.???

    Help will be most appreciated.

    Chris

  2. Re: Suse 10.2- lost X server

    none wrote:
    > Hi Folks,
    >
    > About a week ago, I loaded a kernel update from Suse. It loaded ok but
    > now I have no GUI.
    >
    > How do I re-install the graphic driver (nvidia) to work with this kernel
    > update.???
    >
    > Help will be most appreciated.

    :r News/FAQ/x

    How to confiure the GUI.

    This answers how to configure the GUI when an installation or an upgrade
    does not show the GUI correctly. It will asume an installed system that
    (as far as you know) works perfectly.

    You will need root priveliges (know the root password) and the technical
    settings of your screen, so get that manual. If you don't have the
    manual, look it up. You are able tro post, so you have Internet
    connection.

    First do [CTRL][ALT][F1] to go to textmode. Don't be afraid, it is
    nothing scary. As user type `root` and type your password for root.
    Next type `init 3`. This will bring you to 100% textmode.
    Now run the command `sax2` and you should be able to configure your
    screen.
    If you do not find your screen and/or do not know your settings, start
    with the lowest ones and build your way up.

    When you have set up your screen and tested it, you just run the
    following command `init 5 && exit`. That will start up the GUI and if
    OK, log you out as root.

    If you still can't run the GUI but can run sax2 and the test at the end
    of sax2, it ain't a standard X issue.

    It can also be possible that sax2 does not work. Then you do `man sax2`
    and read it. Realy read it, because there will be a quiz later.

    Some ways to run SaX2 if the above does not work:
    `sax2 -b /usr/share/sax/profile/SomeProfil`
    Mainly for dual screen situations where the dual screen is not
    recognised.
    `sax2 -l` (Lowercase L not number one)
    For the lower resolution to be default. This can be usefull with
    newer screens that are not standard and did not bother to tell
    your software about the size it can handle
    `sax2 --vesa 0:1024x768@60`
    Run screen 0 (the first screen, 1 is the second) in resolution
    1024x768 at 60 Hz. Should be OK for most if not all LCD screens.

    Run the above and configure your screen(s). If it still ain't working,
    re-read the `sax2 man` page and try some of the other settings.

    If it does work, do `init 5 && exit`.

    Still problems? You can manualy configure it as well. Take a lot more
    information, so get back and tell us what you have done, your videocard
    and screen information, together with your SUSE version and wether or
    not it used to run before and if you have done an update of your system
    and if so, how.

    Aditional information might be needed as well.

    houghi
    --
    We all came out to Montreux Frank Zappa and the Mothers
    On the Lake Geneva shoreline Were at the best place around

  3. Re: Suse 10.2- lost X server

    houghi wrote:
> [...]

    > For the lower resolution to be default. This can be usefull with
    > newer screens that are not standard and did not bother to tell
    > your software about the size it can handle
    > `sax2 --vesa 0:1024x768@60`
    > Run screen 0 (the first screen, 1 is the second) in resolution
    > 1024x768 at 60 Hz. Should be OK for most if not all LCD screens.
    >
    > Run the above and configure your screen(s). If it still ain't working,
    > re-read the `sax2 man` page and try some of the other settings.
    >
    > If it does work, do `init 5 && exit`.
    >
    > Still problems? You can manualy configure it as well. Take a lot more
    > information, so get back and tell us what you have done, your videocard
    > and screen information, together with your SUSE version and wether or
    > not it used to run before and if you have done an update of your system
    > and if so, how.
    >
    > Aditional information might be needed as well.

    Sorry, Sax2 will not start at all. Has no-one else had this problem?

    Chris

  4. Re: Suse 10.2- lost X server

    none wrote:

    > Sorry, Sax2 will not start at all. Has no-one else had this problem?

    witch user ?
    is in in "init3" that you start sax2 ?
    --
    EOS
    www.photo-memories.be

  5. Re: Suse 10.2- lost X server

    none wrote:
    > Hi Folks,
    >
    > About a week ago, I loaded a kernel update from Suse. It loaded ok but
    > now I have no GUI.
    >
    > How do I re-install the graphic driver (nvidia) to work with this kernel
    > update.???
    >
    > Help will be most appreciated.
    >
    > Chris

    I had the same problem. An explanation of the cause of the problem was
    provided by Martin S. in an earlier thread here titled "nvidea Driver
    problem."

    Here is what Martin said:

    "The problem is not a driver bug, the problem is that the kernel-module
    on the nvidia-repository does not fit to the current kernel (as you can
    see if you compare the version numbers), and the problem is that nvidia
    is too slow/lazy and always weeks behind the current kernel releases.

    A solution is to compile the nvidia kernel-modul by yourself that it
    fits to the kernel you use, or wait until nvidia is ready with their
    binary package of an updated kernel-module. For instruction read
    http://www.suse.de/~sndirsch/nvidia-installer-HOWTO.html"

    I temporarily switched to the nv driver by running switch2nv and then
    installed the nvidia driver following the hard way per the following page:

    http://en.opensuse.org/Nvidia#The_hard_way

    Bob Carlson

  6. Re: Suse 10.2- lost X server

    On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 18:23:14 +0200, houghi wrote:

    >Aditional information might be needed as well.
    >
    >houghi
    >--
    > We all came out to Montreux Frank Zappa and the Mothers
    > On the Lake Geneva shoreline Were at the best place around
    >To make records with a mobile But some stupid with a flare gun
    > We didn't have much time Burned the place to the ground

    Shame, shame! You posted copyrighted material without so much as giving
    the original authors credit for their work. I hope the Ghost of Zappa
    comes and haunts you with Microsoft Windows nightmares.

    It was a very detailed post though...

  7. Re: Suse 10.2- lost X server

    CanYouSayDualBoot wrote:
    > On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 18:23:14 +0200, houghi wrote:
    >

    >> Aditional information might be needed as well.
    >>
    >> houghi
    >> --
    >> We all came out to Montreux Frank Zappa and the Mothers
    >> On the Lake Geneva shoreline Were at the best place around
    >> To make records with a mobile But some stupid with a flare gun
    >> We didn't have much time Burned the place to the ground

    > Shame, shame! You posted copyrighted material without so much as giving
    > the original authors credit for their work. I hope the Ghost of Zappa
    > comes and haunts you with Microsoft Windows nightmares.

    If you are referring to houghi's sig, it's not Zappa.

    It's about Zappa being there at the same time as the songwriter.

    It's Deep Purple.

    The Mothers lost all their gear in the fire.

    --
    Vahis
    Motorcycling, Boating and openSUSE: http://waxborg.servepics.com

  8. Re: Suse 10.2- lost X server

    Vahis wrote:
    >>> We all came out to Montreux Frank Zappa and the Mothers
    >>> On the Lake Geneva shoreline Were at the best place around
    >>> To make records with a mobile But some stupid with a flare gun
    >>> We didn't have much time Burned the place to the ground

    >> Shame, shame! You posted copyrighted material without so much as giving
    >> the original authors credit for their work. I hope the Ghost of Zappa
    >> comes and haunts you with Microsoft Windows nightmares.

    > If you are referring to houghi's sig, it's not Zappa.
    >
    > It's about Zappa being there at the same time as the songwriter.
    >
    > It's Deep Purple.
    >
    > The Mothers lost all their gear in the fire.

    Not only that. If you think that Zappa would have worried about this,
    you do not understand Zappa. Who do you think said: If people stop
    copying my music, I should start to worry.

    If you think he would mind because he wants to be rememberd:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=5SjX5SPgR-s

    Some other interesting stuff here (Unrelated to copying stuff)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ISil7IHzxc

    Oh, and another quote from him that was too log to use as a sig:
    So, when Adam and Eve were in the Garden of Eden, if you go for all
    these fairy tales, that "evil" woman convinced the man to eat the apple,
    but the apple came from the Tree of Knowledge. And the punishment that
    was then handed down, the woman gets to bleed and the guy's got to go to
    work, is the result of a man desiring, because his woman suggested that
    it would be a good idea, that he get all the knowledge that was
    supposedly the property and domain of God. So, that right away sets up
    Christianity as an anti-intellectual religion. You never want to be that
    smart. If you're a woman, it's going to be running down your leg, and if
    you're a guy, you're going to be in the salt mines for the rest of your
    life. So, just be a dumb **** and you'll all go to heaven. That's the
    subtext of Christianity.

    Oh and one that is changed to use the word software:
    A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it's not open.

    houghi
    --
    Let's not be too tough on our own ignorance. It's the thing that makes
    America great. If America weren't incomparably ignorant, how could we

  9. Re: Suse 10.2- lost X server

    houghi wrote:

    > Oh, and another quote from him

    You're probably familiar with this one, but it's a nice link for
    some who may not be:

    http://www.science.uva.nl/~robbert/zappa/quote/

    I wonder if a random output from there could be pasted to a sig?

    --
    Vahis

    "Anything can be music"
    Answer to critics accusing him (F.Z.) of not doing actual music
    on Uncle Meat

  10. Re: Suse 10.2- lost X server

    Vahis wrote:

    > http://www.science.uva.nl/~robbert/zappa/quote/
    >
    > I wonder if a random output from there could be pasted to a sig?

    First you must clean up the 'database' and understand that what you get
    will be plain text, so get rid of all the HTML stuff, like

    Next you need to determine what way to go. You can use the program
    'fortune' which means you must make a dat file, but it also means you
    can use an already well known program. Once you have made the .dat file,
    you can run it like `fortune zappa` or `fortune -s zappa` to have a sig
    that is no longer then 4 lines.

    Next you can use the perl script to add the signature. You can do this
    also in several ways. The easy way out is to have crontab edit the
    signature file you are actualy using. That is what I do. Each day at
    00:00 a new signature is copied.
    The script I use is:
    DIR=/home/houghi/.signature
    FILE=$DIR/sig.slrn
    DATE=`date +%d`
    rm $FILE
    ln -s $FILE.$DATE $FILE

    Yeah, I know, it could have been written in a oneliner like
    ln -fs ~/signature/sig.slrn.`date +%d` ~/signature/sig.slrn

    Yet that is not random. To do that, you an use also the perl script that
    comes with it on the page you gave me.

    The trick however is not so much as to show the random quote. That you
    can do with both fortune, once you made the file into a fortune
    database, with the perl script, with something you made yourself or with
    whetever.

    The trick is in showing a random one each time you need it. This will
    depend on the newsreaders ability. Some newsreaders happily accept a
    program as a signature file. Then you just point to that program and you
    are done. Very easy to use `fortune -s zappa` that way.

    However there are programs that only accept a file as input. Then it
    becomes a bit tricker. What you need is (and here people are going to
    correct me and tell me how it is done for real. I never got the hang of
    it.) a named pipe.

    http://www2.linuxjournal.com/article/2156
    http://debid.vlsm.org/share/LDP/abs/...ipts.html#FIFO
    and most likely a lot of other places. Basicaly it is a file that
    re-fills with new data once you have read it

    houghi
    --
    Let's not be too tough on our own ignorance. It's the thing that makes
    America great. If America weren't incomparably ignorant, how could we
    have tolerated the last eight years? -- Frank Zappa, in 1988

  11. Re: Suse 10.2- lost X server

    houghi wrote:
    > Vahis wrote:
    >> http://www.science.uva.nl/~robbert/zappa/quote/
    >>
    >> I wonder if a random output from there could be pasted to a sig?

    > First you must clean up the 'database' and understand that what you get
    > will be plain text, so get rid of all the HTML stuff, like

    > Next you need to determine what way to go. You can use the program
    > 'fortune' which means you must make a dat file, but it also means you
    > can use an already well known program. Once you have made the .dat file,
    > you can run it like `fortune zappa` or `fortune -s zappa` to have a sig
    > that is no longer then 4 lines.
    >
    > Next you can use the perl script to add the signature. You can do this
    > also in several ways. The easy way out is to have crontab edit the
    > signature file you are actualy using. That is what I do. Each day at
    > 00:00 a new signature is copied.
    > The script I use is:
    > DIR=/home/houghi/.signature
    > FILE=$DIR/sig.slrn
    > DATE=`date +%d`
    > rm $FILE
    > ln -s $FILE.$DATE $FILE
    >
    > Yeah, I know, it could have been written in a oneliner like
    > ln -fs ~/signature/sig.slrn.`date +%d` ~/signature/sig.slrn
    >
    > Yet that is not random. To do that, you an use also the perl script that
    > comes with it on the page you gave me.
    >
    > The trick however is not so much as to show the random quote. That you
    > can do with both fortune, once you made the file into a fortune
    > database, with the perl script, with something you made yourself or with
    > whetever.
    >
    > The trick is in showing a random one each time you need it. This will
    > depend on the newsreaders ability. Some newsreaders happily accept a
    > program as a signature file. Then you just point to that program and you
    > are done. Very easy to use `fortune -s zappa` that way.
    >
    > However there are programs that only accept a file as input. Then it
    > becomes a bit tricker. What you need is (and here people are going to
    > correct me and tell me how it is done for real. I never got the hang of
    > it.) a named pipe.
    >
    > http://www2.linuxjournal.com/article/2156
    > http://debid.vlsm.org/share/LDP/abs/...ipts.html#FIFO
    > and most likely a lot of other places. Basicaly it is a file that
    > re-fills with new data once you have read it
    >
    > houghi

    All the above is like programming, huh?

    Nice try

    --
    Vahis, end user

  12. Re: Suse 10.2- lost X server

    Vahis wrote:
    > houghi wrote:
    >> Vahis wrote:
    >>> http://www.science.uva.nl/~robbert/zappa/quote/
    >>>
    >>> I wonder if a random output from there could be pasted to a sig?

    > All the above is like programming, huh?

    No, it is more like scripting. Also it is a tad longer answer to you
    question. The short answer is: yes, it can.

    houghi
    --
    Let's not be too tough on our own ignorance. It's the thing that makes
    America great. If America weren't incomparably ignorant, how could we
    have tolerated the last eight years? -- Frank Zappa, in 1988

  13. Re: Suse 10.2- lost X server

    On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 17:53:15 +0100, none wrote:

    > Sorry, Sax2 will not start at all. Has no-one else had this problem?

    Well do it the traditional way.

    First off it's a bad idea to boot to runlevel 5, as you are noticing.

    I'd change that to runlevel 3 to make things simple.

    You'll need the following information. Also you need to be root.

    Monitor: Fh and Fv

    Video card Chipset: (Nvidia geforce, ATI Radeon, whatever)

    Video card Memory: How much?

    A lot of times the video chipset and memory appears in the upper left
    corner on boot up (The machine, not the OS). If not run scanpci -v and
    lspci -v and look in /proc

    Dig out the manual for the monitor frequencies. If you don't have a
    manual look at the monitor model on the back and look up a manual for it
    on the web.

    Just in case copy /etc/X11/xorg.conf to a directory named /back
    (mkdir /back).

    Run the command...

    xorgconfig

    Mouse Protocol: Auto or IMPS/2 usually works. N0 to emulate 3 buttons.
    Accept the default name.

    Keyboard: If all else fails select generic 104 keyboard. Select Country
    Say no to extra keyboard features (XKB options)

    Monitor: Enter the values (Fh & Fv) you found. Accept the default for
    the name

    Video Card: Look at the card database and chose your card. If you don't
    see your card select 0) Generic VESA. On the next screen enter how much
    video memory you have. Finally just hit enter for a name (Enter an
    identifier for your video card definition

    Next the screen resolutions are pretty well explained. Pick what you
    like. Say No to - Do you want a virtual screen that is larger than the
    physical screen?

    Select the default color depth (24 bit no doubt).

    The last question is...

    Shall I write it to /etc/X11/xorg.conf?

    Here you can bail out and say no. You can also run this again. You might
    have to edit xrog.conf a bit for stuff like FontPath, etc. If it keeps
    asking hit CTL-C to kill the process.

    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  14. Re: Suse 10.2- lost X server

    houghi wrote:
    > Vahis wrote:
    >> houghi wrote:

    >> All the above is like programming, huh?

    > No, it is more like scripting. Also it is a tad longer answer to you
    > question. The short answer is: yes, it can.
    >
    > houghi

    I thought so.

    --
    Vahis
    Never try to get your peter sucked in France.

  15. Re: Suse 10.2- lost X server

    Vahis wrote:
    > You're probably familiar with this one, but it's a nice link for
    > some who may not be:
    >
    > http://www.science.uva.nl/~robbert/zappa/quote/
    >
    > I wonder if a random output from there could be pasted to a sig?

    How about some Zappa music while your surf?
    http://houghi.org/moving_pictures/zappa_sample.php
    Neat site this http://www.seeqpod.com/

    houghi
    --
    Let's not be too tough on our own ignorance. It's the thing that makes
    America great. If America weren't incomparably ignorant, how could we
    have tolerated the last eight years? -- Frank Zappa, in 1988

  16. Re: Suse 10.2- lost X server

    houghi wrote:
    > Vahis wrote:
    >> You're probably familiar with this one, but it's a nice link for
    >> some who may not be:
    >>
    >> http://www.science.uva.nl/~robbert/zappa/quote/
    >>
    >> I wonder if a random output from there could be pasted to a sig?

    > How about some Zappa music while your surf?

    /data3/music/Zappa
    1439 files, 104 sub-folders

    Works for me

    > http://houghi.org/moving_pictures/zappa_sample.php
    > Neat site this http://www.seeqpod.com/
    >
    > houghi

    That's cool! I just wonder (again wondering) how one can put
    stuff like that online and not violate any rights?

    I'd like to but I don't want to piss off Gail.

    --
    Vahis
    "Only wimps use tape backup: _real_ men just upload their

  17. Re: Suse 10.2- lost X server

    Vahis wrote:
    > That's cool! I just wonder (again wondering) how one can put
    > stuff like that online and not violate any rights?

    Not. You must understand what copyrights are. They are there to protect
    the artist and make him want to produce more music. So that is the
    reason you need to protect Fram Zappa's copy rights.

    Remember how the tape destroyed the music industry? Befor eyou know it
    people will be copying software. Can you imagine that people just could
    copy and distribute software? OMFG!

    houghi
    --
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust,
    sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.

  18. Re: Suse 10.2- lost X server

    houghi wrote:
    > Vahis wrote:
    >> That's cool! I just wonder (again wondering) how one can put
    >> stuff like that online and not violate any rights?

    > Not. You must understand what copyrights are. They are there to protect
    > the artist and make him want to produce more music. So that is the
    > reason you need to protect Fram Zappa's copy rights.

    Apropos, the Maestro suggested to sell his material via modem
    already in the eighties. He said it doesn't make sense to
    transport tons of vinyl and cardboard, not to mention to produce
    the expensive printed covers.

    Ahead of his time somewhat there, too?

    > Remember how the tape destroyed the music industry? Befor eyou know it
    > people will be copying software. Can you imagine that people just could
    > copy and distribute software? OMFG!

    What he wanted to do then, the record industry pricks, as he
    always called them, want to do now.

    He's always been my hero

    --
    "Only wimps use tape backup: _real_ men just upload their
    important stuff on ftp, and let the rest of the world mirror it "
    Linus Torvals 1996.

  19. Re: Suse 10.2- lost X server

    houghi wrote:
    > Vahis wrote:
    >> That's cool! I just wonder (again wondering) how one can put
    >> stuff like that online and not violate any rights?

    > Not. You must understand what copyrights are. They are there to protect
    > the artist and make him want to produce more music. So that is the
    > reason you need to protect Fram Zappa's copy rights.
    >
    > Remember how the tape destroyed the music industry? Befor eyou know it
    > people will be copying software. Can you imagine that people just could
    > copy and distribute software? OMFG!
    >
    > houghi

    Another discovery I made, thanks to you pointing that site out:

    http://www.seeqpod.com/

    It says there it's for iPhone.

    But I just pointed my Nokia 6630's browser to their link "mobile"

    http://www.seeqpod.com/iphone/#_home

    Then I downloaded a roughly 3 meg mp3 file, saved it and it plays
    just fine!

    This is great

    --
    "Only wimps use tape backup: _real_ men just upload their
    important stuff on ftp, and let the rest of the world mirror it "
    Linus Torvals 1996.

+ Reply to Thread