help i am idiot and need to fix this - Suse

This is a discussion on help i am idiot and need to fix this - Suse ; I had win xp pro I installed lynix ubuntu and grub came with it. I have 3 hds I had xp on first 19.5 GB slave was left alone 9.5 GB third was ubuntu 7.5 GB I have removed all ...

  1. help i am idiot and need to fix this

    I had win xp pro
    I installed lynix ubuntu
    and grub came with it.

    I have 3 hds

    I had xp on first 19.5 GB
    slave was left alone 9.5 GB
    third was ubuntu 7.5 GB

    I have removed all drive and wiped them all clean.
    I put them back and I used window xp pro sp2 installer.
    before xp boots I get a message saying

    grub error 17

    I have been reading around but can't seem to find what I need to do.
    I think I need to remove grub and install dos or something like that.

    also fdisk comes up in everything I am reading. But I can't seem to
    find what is and how to work it exactly.

    There is no floppy drive.
    1 cd drive.

  2. Re: help i am idiot and need to fix this

    On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 14:37:57 -0700, whatever wrote:

    >I have removed all drive and wiped them all clean.
    >I put them back and I used window xp pro sp2 installer.
    >before xp boots I get a message saying

    >grub error 17

    Use fdisk to set the XP partition active ..

  3. Re: help i am idiot and need to fix this

    whatever wrote:

    > I had win xp pro
    > I installed lynix ubuntu
    > and grub came with it.
    >
    > I have 3 hds
    >
    > I had xp on first 19.5 GB
    > slave was left alone 9.5 GB
    > third was ubuntu 7.5 GB
    >
    > I have removed all drive and wiped them all clean.
    > I put them back and I used window xp pro sp2 installer.
    > before xp boots I get a message saying
    >
    > grub error 17
    >
    > I have been reading around but can't seem to find what I need to do.
    > I think I need to remove grub and install dos or something like that.
    >
    > also fdisk comes up in everything I am reading. But I can't seem to
    > find what is and how to work it exactly.
    >
    > There is no floppy drive.
    > 1 cd drive.

    boot with the windows cd and go to a repair console and
    use fdisk/mbr to overwrite grub with the windows boot loader

    --
    In a world without wall or fences ... who need windows or gates??
    -unknown-

  4. Re: help i am idiot and need to fix this

    On Thu, 19 Jul 2007, EMG wrote:-

    >whatever wrote:

    >> I have removed all drive and wiped them all clean.
    >> I put them back and I used window xp pro sp2 installer.
    >> before xp boots I get a message saying
    >>
    >> grub error 17

    Then you haven't actually wiped the drives at all because grub is still
    there as the boot loader.

    >boot with the windows cd and go to a repair console and

    That bit's correct.

    >use fdisk/mbr to overwrite grub with the windows boot loader

    This bit isn't. That was used to fix the MBR for the Win95 kernels
    (Win98, Win98SE, WinME) and, while it might work for WinXP, it might
    not. The correct commands for the Windows rescue console are FIXMBR and
    FIXBOOT, although you'll probably only need the FIXMBR command.

    Regards,
    David Bolt

    --
    Member of Team Acorn checking nodes at 100 Mnodes/s: www.distributed.net
    RISC OS 3.11 | SUSE 10.0 32bit | SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit

  5. Re: help i am idiot and need to fix this

    David Bolt wrote:

    > On Thu, 19 Jul 2007, EMG wrote:-
    >

    >>whatever wrote:

    >>> I have removed all drive and wiped them all clean.
    >>> I put them back and I used window xp pro sp2 installer.
    >>> before xp boots I get a message saying
    >>>
    >>> grub error 17
    >>>

    > Then you haven't actually wiped the drives at all because grub is still
    > there as the boot loader.
    >

    >>boot with the windows cd and go to a repair console and

    > That bit's correct.
    >
    >>use fdisk/mbr to overwrite grub with the windows boot loader

    > This bit isn't. That was used to fix the MBR for the Win95 kernels
    > (Win98, Win98SE, WinME) and, while it might work for WinXP, it might
    > not. The correct commands for the Windows rescue console are FIXMBR and
    > FIXBOOT, although you'll probably only need the FIXMBR command.
    >

    > Regards,
    > David Bolt

    Thanks David ... as you now know I'm old school .... thanks for informing
    me on this also
    --
    In a world without wall or fences ... who need windows or gates??
    -unknown-

  6. Re: help i am idiot and need to fix this

    whatever wrote:

    > I had win xp pro
    > I installed lynix ubuntu
    > and grub came with it.
    >
    > I have 3 hds
    >
    > I had xp on first 19.5 GB
    > slave was left alone 9.5 GB
    > third was ubuntu 7.5 GB
    >
    > I have removed all drive and wiped them all clean.
    > I put them back and I used window xp pro sp2 installer.
    > before xp boots I get a message saying
    >
    > grub error 17
    >
    > I have been reading around but can't seem to find what I need to do.
    > I think I need to remove grub and install dos or something like that.
    >
    > also fdisk comes up

    in everything I am reading. But I can't seem to
    > find what is and how to work it exactly.
    >
    > There is no floppy drive.
    > 1 cd drive.

    Boot it up using a dos boot disk, at the c: promped trype fdisk -MBR will
    fix it

    Oz

+ Reply to Thread