A cautionary tale of a configuration error. - Suse

This is a discussion on A cautionary tale of a configuration error. - Suse ; I moved files from and repartitioned one of my 3 drives. Created file systems and mount points, and moved all the files back to the drive. I reconfigured fstab and backup script to reflect the changes. So far so good. ...

  1. A cautionary tale of a configuration error.

    I moved files from and repartitioned one of my 3 drives. Created file
    systems and mount points, and moved all the files back to the drive.
    I reconfigured fstab and backup script to reflect the changes. So far so
    good. Double checked everything and rebooted the system.
    when system was up I ran df -h and found 2 of the filesystems that
    should have been the same size were not, so I re-ran rsync and
    found the difference was worse and this time I noticed the "/" filesystem
    was full, 100%.
    I checked fstab and found an error, I had not mounted one of the
    filesystems but was unable to change it because vi didn't have any
    headroom space.
    With Knoppix booted I reconfigured fstab correctly and rebooted, still had
    100% "/" . I once again booted Knoppix to gain access to the fstsb file
    and "##" out all but essential filesystems and checked all the
    directories. I found one of the unmounted directories with lots of files
    in it. I erased all the files, put the fstab file back to normal and
    booted up ___ Problem solved.

    All my added directories are off "/", so without the proper filesystem
    mounted the rsync filled up the "/" . I hope this all makes sense. I
    posted this just in case someone else does the same thing.
    Just when you think you have a handle on things you "screw up"
    Thanks, Bob.

  2. Re: A cautionary tale of a configuration error.

    Bob Hyam wrote:
    > I moved files from and repartitioned one of my 3 drives. Created file
    > systems and mount points, and moved all the files back to the drive.
    > I reconfigured fstab and backup script to reflect the changes. So far so
    > good. Double checked everything and rebooted the system.
    > when system was up I ran df -h and found 2 of the filesystems that
    > should have been the same size were not, so I re-ran rsync and
    > found the difference was worse and this time I noticed the "/" filesystem
    > was full, 100%.
    > I checked fstab and found an error, I had not mounted one of the
    > filesystems but was unable to change it because vi didn't have any
    > headroom space.
    > With Knoppix booted I reconfigured fstab correctly and rebooted, still had
    > 100% "/" . I once again booted Knoppix to gain access to the fstsb file
    > and "##" out all but essential filesystems and checked all the
    > directories. I found one of the unmounted directories with lots of files
    > in it. I erased all the files, put the fstab file back to normal and
    > booted up ___ Problem solved.
    >
    > All my added directories are off "/", so without the proper filesystem
    > mounted the rsync filled up the "/" . I hope this all makes sense. I
    > posted this just in case someone else does the same thing.
    > Just when you think you have a handle on things you "screw up"
    > Thanks, Bob.

    Sounds like my luck and with similar goings on coming my way, your words
    are a welcome caution!

+ Reply to Thread