Best backup for Suse? - Suse

This is a discussion on Best backup for Suse? - Suse ; I need to back up some suse boxes. The backup built in to Yast doesn't handle incrementals, unfortunately. I fooled a bit with rsync, but it looks like it takes a lot of configuring, it's a bit slow, and all ...

  1. Best backup for Suse?

    I need to back up some suse boxes. The backup built in to Yast doesn't
    handle incrementals, unfortunately.

    I fooled a bit with rsync, but it looks like it takes a lot of
    configuring, it's a bit slow, and all the files get stored individually,
    which is not very efficient.

    I don't have a lot of time on my hands to write a lot of scripts, and
    I'm willing to pay for my laziness by buying a commercial product, if
    there's a good one.

    Any suggestions?

  2. Re: Best backup for Suse?

    Some being by the name of Chris managed to piece together the following:

    > I need to back up some suse boxes. The backup built in to Yast doesn't
    > handle incrementals, unfortunately.
    >
    > I fooled a bit with rsync, but it looks like it takes a lot of
    > configuring, it's a bit slow, and all the files get stored individually,
    > which is not very efficient.
    >
    > I don't have a lot of time on my hands to write a lot of scripts, and
    > I'm willing to pay for my laziness by buying a commercial product, if
    > there's a good one.
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    mondo-archive

    --
    The trouble with women is that they never put the toilet seat back up!

  3. Re: Best backup for Suse?

    Chris wrote:
    > I need to back up some suse boxes. The backup built in to Yast doesn't
    > handle incrementals, unfortunately.

    It is indeed not a very good backup.

    > I fooled a bit with rsync, but it looks like it takes a lot of
    > configuring, it's a bit slow, and all the files get stored individually,
    > which is not very efficient.

    That depends. I use rsync and it makes restoring stuff very easy, so
    when restoring it IS very efficient in time, although not in space.

    > I don't have a lot of time on my hands to write a lot of scripts, and
    > I'm willing to pay for my laziness by buying a commercial product, if
    > there's a good one.

    There are many good ones. I now use StoreBackup:
    http://en.opensuse.org/StoreBackup

    Altough you might want to think about what you want to backup. For me
    data and configuration tools is the main thing. I use the script to do
    the standard data, but do a simple rsync for movies and mp3 stuff. That
    mean no incremental backups for thos, because I do not actualy need it
    there.

    Just today I did a restore on a file and that was nothing more then
    # cp ~/backup/.usemycomputer.com ~/.usemycomputer.com

    Yesterday I needed an older file and did the following:
    houghi@penne : grep ^NUMBER /media/backup/*/home/houghi/.skins.be
    /media/backup/2007.06.09_18.26.06/home/houghi/.skins.be:NUMBER=26376

    /media/backup/2007.07.04_04.08.03/home/houghi/.skins.be:NUMBER=26684
    /media/backup/2007.07.04_16.08.02/home/houghi/.skins.be:NUMBER=

    /media/backup/2007.07.07_16.08.07/home/houghi/.skins.be:NUMBER=
    /media/backup/2007.07.08_04.08.03/home/houghi/.skins.be:NUMBER=26736
    /media/backup/2007.07.08_16.08.02/home/houghi/.skins.be:NUMBER=26747
    /media/backup/latest/home/houghi/.skins.be:NUMBER=26747
    /media/backup/oldest/home/houghi/.skins.be:NUMBER=26376

    The number I was looking for was 26684 and I did not know at what backup
    I would find it.

    The directory /media/backup/latest is a symlink to (now)
    /media/backup/2007.07.08_16.08.02 and is updated each time the script
    runs. ~/backup is a symlink to /media/backup/latest/home/houghi so that
    way with a `cd ~/backup` I am in my latest backup directory and because
    it is mounted read-only, I can not delete it by accident.

    A great program. I think this is only the second time I have mentioned
    it here and I am sorry about that.

    houghi
    --
    ________________________ Open your eyes, open your mind
    | proud like a god don't pretend to be blind
    | trapped in yourself, break out instead
    http://openSUSE.org | beat the machine that works in your head

  4. Re: Best backup for Suse?

    find with a date selection piped to cpio and a tape drive...

    You could do that with one script called by cron less than a dozen lines
    long...

    The above are included in every Unix distro I have come accross..

    Cheers Bob

    Chris wrote:

    > I don't have a lot of time on my hands to write a lot of scripts, and
    > I'm willing to pay for my laziness by buying a commercial product, if
    > there's a good one.

+ Reply to Thread