New root user - Suse

This is a discussion on New root user - Suse ; How can I create a new (temporarely) user with root access? (SUSE10.2) In the ADD USER section I can only add normal users (as it looks to me, but I could be wrong) Gr. Henk...

  1. New root user

    How can I create a new (temporarely) user with root access? (SUSE10.2)

    In the ADD USER section I can only add normal users (as it looks to me, but
    I could be wrong)

    Gr.
    Henk

  2. Re: New root user

    Henk Oegema schreef:
    > How can I create a new (temporarely) user with root access? (SUSE10.2)
    >
    > In the ADD USER section I can only add normal users (as it looks to me, but
    > I could be wrong)
    >
    > Gr.
    > Henk

    What you want new user? You can use sudo to exec command with root
    rights. If you don't want to type password everytime you use sudo, then
    look in /etc/sudoers, under "user privilege spec" add this line
    "username ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL" replace username with your username.

  3. Re: New root user

    Canned wrote:

    > Henk Oegema schreef:
    >> How can I create a new (temporarely) user with root access? (SUSE10.2)
    >>
    >> In the ADD USER section I can only add normal users (as it looks to me,
    >> but I could be wrong)
    >>
    >> Gr.
    >> Henk

    > What you want new user? You can use sudo to exec command with root
    > rights. If you don't want to type password everytime you use sudo, then
    > look in /etc/sudoers, under "user privilege spec" add this line
    > "username ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL" replace username with your username.

    I think you misunderstand me.

    I want to add a new user who can remotely access my system with root
    privileges.

    Henk

  4. Re: New root user

    Henk Oegema wrote:

    > Canned wrote:
    >
    >> Henk Oegema schreef:
    >>> How can I create a new (temporarely) user with root access? (SUSE10.2)
    >>>
    >>> In the ADD USER section I can only add normal users (as it looks to me,
    >>> but I could be wrong)
    >>>
    >>> Gr.
    >>> Henk

    >> What you want new user? You can use sudo to exec command with root
    >> rights. If you don't want to type password everytime you use sudo, then
    >> look in /etc/sudoers, under "user privilege spec" add this line
    >> "username ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL" replace username with your
    >> username.

    > I think you misunderstand me.

    You didn't tell that!
    Any normal user is able to access your system from a remote system using
    ssh. So if you add a new account john, john will be able to access you
    system remotely. If you add john to the sudoers list he will have root
    privileges.
    taco

    > I want to add a new user who can remotely access my system with root
    > privileges.
    >
    > Henk

  5. Re: New root user

    Henk Oegema schreef:
    > Canned wrote:
    >
    >> Henk Oegema schreef:
    >>> How can I create a new (temporarely) user with root access? (SUSE10.2)
    >>>
    >>> In the ADD USER section I can only add normal users (as it looks to me,
    >>> but I could be wrong)
    >>>
    >>> Gr.
    >>> Henk

    >> What you want new user? You can use sudo to exec command with root
    >> rights. If you don't want to type password everytime you use sudo, then
    >> look in /etc/sudoers, under "user privilege spec" add this line
    >> "username ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL" replace username with your username.

    > I think you misunderstand me.
    >
    > I want to add a new user who can remotely access my system with root
    > privileges.
    >
    > Henk

    Why bother creating new user? Using su or sudo would have same effect.
    Or you could use root account for remote access, no need to create
    another root acc.
    Here is some hints:
    1. Like I said, use sudo or
    2. If you don't like sudo use su or
    3. Create new user, then edit /etc/passwd, replace the uid and gid field
    with 0 (the third and fourth fields)
    4. If you want some help from somebody you know, create another user
    account then you log in as root while the other guy log in as normal
    user you just created, as root, type "kibitz user". You can monitor what
    the other guy doing as root in your system.

  6. Re: New root user

    Canned wrote:

    > Henk Oegema schreef:
    >> Canned wrote:

    >>> What you want new user? You can use sudo to exec command with root
    >>> rights. If you don't want to type password everytime you use sudo, then
    >>> look in /etc/sudoers, under "user privilege spec" add this line
    >>> "username ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL" replace username with your
    >>> username.

    >> I think you misunderstand me.
    >>
    >> I want to add a new user who can remotely access my system with root
    >> privileges.
    >>
    >> Henk

    > Why bother creating new user? Using su or sudo would have same effect.
    > Or you could use root account for remote access, no need to create
    > another root acc.
    > Here is some hints:
    > 1. Like I said, use sudo or
    > 2. If you don't like sudo use su or
    > 3. Create new user, then edit /etc/passwd, replace the uid and gid field
    > with 0 (the third and fourth fields)
    > 4. If you want some help from somebody you know, create another user
    > account then you log in as root while the other guy log in as normal
    > user you just created, as root, type "kibitz user". You can monitor what
    > the other guy doing as root in your system.

    Thanks :-)

    Henk

  7. Re: New root user

    TW wrote:

    > You didn't tell that!
    > Any normal user is able to access your system from a remote system using
    > ssh. So if you add a new account john, john will be able to access you
    > system remotely. If you add john to the sudoers list he will have root
    > privileges.
    > taco

    Thanks :-)

  8. Re: New root user

    Canned wrote:

    > .............. as root, type "kibitz user". You can monitor what
    > the other guy doing as root in your system.

    I'm testing your proposal :-)

    I'm remotely logged in as henkoegema.

    Then in my local linux server I type:

    asterisk:/etc/asterisk/php # kibitz henkoegema
    asking henkoegema to type: kibitz -29796
    write: you have write permission turned off.
    asterisk:/etc/asterisk/php #

    Where do I have write permission off?
    Where do I need to change anything?

    Rgds
    Henk

  9. Re: New root user

    Canned wrote:

    > Henk Oegema schreef:
    >> Canned wrote:
    >>

    >>> .............. as root, type "kibitz user". You can monitor what
    >>> the other guy doing as root in your system.

    >> I'm testing your proposal :-)
    >>
    >> I'm remotely logged in as henkoegema.
    >>
    >> Then in my local linux server I type:
    >>
    >> asterisk:/etc/asterisk/php # kibitz henkoegema
    >> asking henkoegema to type: kibitz -29796
    >> write: you have write permission turned off.
    >> asterisk:/etc/asterisk/php #
    >>
    >> Where do I have write permission off?
    >> Where do I need to change anything?
    >>
    >> Rgds
    >> Henk

    > Do "mesg y" then try again

    You teached me a lot today. :-)

    Henk

  10. Re: New root user

    Henk Oegema schreef:
    > Canned wrote:
    >
    >> Henk Oegema schreef:

    >>> I'm testing your proposal :-)
    >>>
    >>> I'm remotely logged in as henkoegema.
    >>>
    >>> Then in my local linux server I type:
    >>>
    >>> asterisk:/etc/asterisk/php # kibitz henkoegema
    >>> asking henkoegema to type: kibitz -29796
    >>> write: you have write permission turned off.
    >>> asterisk:/etc/asterisk/php #
    >>>
    >>> Where do I have write permission off?
    >>> Where do I need to change anything?
    >>>
    >>> Rgds
    >>> Henk

    >> Do "mesg y" then try again

    > You teached me a lot today. :-)
    >
    > Henk

    You're welcome

  11. Re: New root user

    Henk Oegema wrote:
    > Canned wrote:
    >

    >> .............. as root, type "kibitz user". You can monitor what
    >> the other guy doing as root in your system.

    > I'm testing your proposal :-)
    >
    > I'm remotely logged in as henkoegema.

    What is your password? Just asking. ;-)

    houghi
    --
    Quote correct (NL) http://www.briachons.org/art/quote/
    Zitiere richtig (DE) http://www.afaik.de/usenet/faq/zitieren

  12. Re: New root user

    On Jul 3, 8:38 pm, houghi wrote:
    > Henk Oegema wrote:
    > > Canned wrote:

    > >> .............. as root, type "kibitz user". You can monitor what
    > >> the other guy doing as root in your system.

    > > I'm testing your proposal :-)

    > > I'm remotely logged in as henkoegema.

    > What is your password? Just asking. ;-)
    >
    > houghi
    > --
    > Quote correct (NL)http://www.briachons.org/art/quote/
    > Zitiere richtig (DE)http://www.afaik.de/usenet/faq/zitieren
    > Quote correctly (EN)http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html

    Have changing the UID to "0" not the same effect as giving that user
    root permissions?

  13. Re: New root user

    blackd wrote:

    > Have changing the UID to "0" not the same effect as giving that user
    > root permissions?

    YES.

  14. Re: New root user

    Henk Oegema wrote:
    > blackd wrote:
    >

    >> Have changing the UID to "0" not the same effect as giving that user
    >> root permissions?

    > YES.

    Is that a wise thing to do? I would say no, use sudoers and do not go
    against 30+ years of Unix and Linux experience.

    houghi
    --
    Listen do you hear them drawing near in their search for the sinners?
    Feeding on the power of our fear and the evil within us.

  15. Re: New root user

    houghi wrote:
    > Henk Oegema wrote:
    >> blackd wrote:
    >>

    >>> Have changing the UID to "0" not the same effect as giving that user
    >>> root permissions?

    >> YES.

    > Is that a wise thing to do? I would say no, use sudoers and do not go
    > against 30+ years of Unix and Linux experience.
    >
    > houghi

    This is a very 'Windows' way of doing things: administrators all over
    the place. The Unix/Linux way is more secure and more effective (despite
    its being undermined on Ubuntu). Sudo is the right and safe way to
    proceed - shortcuts only compromise security.
    Just my ha'porth!

  16. Re: New root user

    Jethro schreef:
    > The Unix/Linux way is more secure and more effective (despite
    > its being undermined on Ubuntu). ...

    Can you explain that? I don't understand what you mean "being undermined
    on Ubuntu".

  17. Re: New root user

    Canned wrote:
    > Jethro schreef:
    >> The Unix/Linux way is more secure and more effective (despite
    >> its being undermined on Ubuntu). ...

    > Can you explain that? I don't understand what you mean "being undermined
    > on Ubuntu".

    Doing everything with sudo and not having standard root. At least I
    asume that is what he is hinting at.

    houghi
    --
    You can have my keyboard ...
    if you can pry it from my dead, cold, stiff fingers

  18. Re: New root user

    In <4692f105$0$25478$9a622dc7@news.kpnplanet.nl> Canned:

    [Snip...]

    > Can you explain that? I don't understand what you mean "being undermined
    > on Ubuntu".

    Could you please take it to cola--aols is not about *buntu or advocacy.

    TIA...

  19. Re: New root user

    Harold Stevens wrote:

    > In <4692f105$0$25478$9a622dc7@news.kpnplanet.nl> Canned:
    >
    > [Snip...]
    >
    >> Can you explain that? I don't understand what you mean "being undermined
    >> on Ubuntu".

    > Could you please take it to cola--aols is not about *buntu or advocacy.
    >
    > TIA...

    Actually, it is n topic.
    houghi already answered the question, and it is interesting to ponder the
    different approaches to admin linux
    --
    Microsoft's Guide To System Design:
    If it starts working, we'll fix it. Pronto.

+ Reply to Thread