RE: Anjuta 2.2 - Suse

This is a discussion on RE: Anjuta 2.2 - Suse ; Warning ! Warning ! Dependency Hell !!! There's the first thing to remember. This is not an easy task. I spent quite a few hours to compile this application. Only 2 plug-ins aren't working yet. I'll backtrack and try to ...

  1. RE: Anjuta 2.2

    Warning ! Warning ! Dependency Hell !!!

    There's the first thing to remember. This is not an easy task. I spent
    quite a few hours to compile this application. Only 2 plug-ins aren't
    working yet. I'll backtrack and try to correct those later. For now I'm
    just content to have it working 95% +.

    The first thing to do is to set aside several hours. Go to the anjuta home
    page and start by looking at the dependencies they list. Write them ALL
    down. Now use something like xrpm to have an alphabetic list of your
    installed packages available along with version #. Now open Yast. I hope
    you have a lot of OpenSuSE repositories in your 'installation sources'.
    Make sure you have Gnome repo's. Now look at the list of dependencies and
    start at the top. Compare that to your installed apps. If you don't have
    any installed use Yast Package Manager and search for it. If the version
    available is at least as new as the one the web site says to use go ahead
    and install it.

    ####IMPORTANT#########

    I spent several hours over the course of two days to complete the
    anjuta '.configure' step WITHOUT errors/warnings !! Quite frankly, I'm not
    sure exactly what apps I installed from source, in what order, or even
    which one(s) may not have been neccessary... It was just a BIG hacker
    session/obsession ! So here's what else I installed which was not listed
    as a dependency.
    [Note. Some of these may already be installed from OpenSuSE but I installed
    them as a following app wouldn't work with the installed OpenSuSE version.
    Make sure you have ALL the development packages to go with the dependencies
    they list.]

    All thes except #6 are installed from source.
    1. cppunit-1.12.0
    2. guile-1.8.1
    3. libmspack-0.0.200
    4. SDL-1.2.11
    5. swig-1.3.31
    6.scrollkeeper-0.3.14-125.i386.rpm
    7. gd-2.0.35
    8. Glade3-3.3.1
    9. gnome-build-0.1.7
    10. gnome-doc-utils-0.10.3
    11. libopts-27.6
    12. ocaml-3.10.0
    13 subversion-1.4.4
    14. valgrind-3.2.3
    15 valkyrie-1.2.0 (optional gui for valgrind for other purposes)

    What requires what is another question. I simply can't say. First start
    with the dependency list they provide at the anjuta web site. Look at the
    versions I used. Watch the ./configure scripts to see what's missing. A
    good way to start is to run ./configure in anjuta to see what order it is
    searching for the dependencies and install them in that order. That's how
    I started.......

    Once you get this complete and you start anjuta don't be disappointed with
    the initial startup configuration. Go to the ->Settings ->Plugins menu to
    enable the plugins. The only two that aren't working are 'API Help'
    and 'Profiler'... I'll see what needs to be done for those next, though it
    might take a while. The plugins that do work are these:

    1. Automake Build
    2. CVS Plugin
    3. Class Inheritance
    4. Debugger
    5. File Manager
    6. Macro
    7. Patch
    8. Sample
    9. Searching
    10. Subversion
    11. Symbol Browser
    12. Task Manager
    13. *Tools*
    14. Valgrind.

    *Tools* When you select this plugin anjuta will search your box for
    numerous applications which will work with it. This takes a while and
    depending on what you have will add a lot of functionality to anjuta...

    So there you have it. Expect to do a lot of compiling. Always
    run ./configure --help to see what options are available. This is where
    you'll see how far into dependeny hell you need to go before you have a
    complete, finished application.

    Have fun !!

    P.S. There were lots of '/configure --enable-whatevers' in there too. Use
    your own best judgement there.

    P.S. #2 You could always wait a while for an OpenSuSE rpm to save
    yourself the hassle but what kind of fun would that be ?? LOL :_)

    Michael Soibelman.

    Final admonition... I spent approximatley 10+ hours on this. With my list
    above you can probably do it in 5 or 6... So what's it gonna be
    skippyboy ?? Ya feeling lucky ??

  2. RE: Anjuta 2.2

    > Michael Soibelman.
    >
    > Final admonition... I spent approximatley 10+ hours on this. With my
    > list
    > above you can probably do it in 5 or 6... So what's it gonna be
    > skippyboy ?? Ya feeling lucky ??

    Nope - I am very unlucky. :-(

    So - how does the IDE look? Do you think it is worth the upgrade effort? I
    really like Anjuta 1.2, and I was hoping that the version2.2 would be
    better. However, the project I am working on for my employer is under a
    time constraint - so I was forced to stop messing with it at work... And
    there isn't enough beer for me to do it at home. :-)

  3. RE: Anjuta 2.2

    Skippyboy wrote:

    >> Michael Soibelman.
    >>
    >> Final admonition... I spent approximatley 10+ hours on this. With my
    >> list
    >> above you can probably do it in 5 or 6... So what's it gonna be
    >> skippyboy ?? Ya feeling lucky ??

    > Nope - I am very unlucky. :-(
    >
    > So - how does the IDE look? Do you think it is worth the upgrade effort? I
    > really like Anjuta 1.2, and I was hoping that the version2.2 would be
    > better. However, the project I am working on for my employer is under a
    > time constraint - so I was forced to stop messing with it at work... And
    > there isn't enough beer for me to do it at home. :-)

    I'd say you'd better just wait until there's an rpm. Not everything works
    so it's not worth the time... It will probably be worth the wait. We'll
    see.

+ Reply to Thread