top command cup states - Suse

This is a discussion on top command cup states - Suse ; Can anyone please tell me where the cpu states for the top command are documented? I have googled and searched the openSUSE web site without getting a hint. On 10.2 there are three fields (%hi %si and %st) that I ...

  1. top command cup states

    Can anyone please tell me where the cpu states for the top command are
    documented? I have googled and searched the openSUSE web site without
    getting a hint. On 10.2 there are three fields (%hi %si and %st) that I
    cannot figure out what they mean.

    TIA,

    Dennis
    --
    Dennis Golden
    Golden Consulting Services

  2. Re: top command cup states

    Dennis Golden wrote:
    > Can anyone please tell me where the cpu states for the top command are
    > documented? I have googled and searched the openSUSE web site without
    > getting a hint. On 10.2 there are three fields (%hi %si and %st) that I
    > cannot figure out what they mean.

    This should answer most, if not all, of your questions about top.

    http://www.idealwebtools.com/blog/top/

  3. Re: top command cup states

    On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 21:33:59 -0400, class_a wrote:

    > Dennis Golden wrote:
    >> Can anyone please tell me where the cpu states for the top command are
    >> documented? I have googled and searched the openSUSE web site without
    >> getting a hint. On 10.2 there are three fields (%hi %si and %st) that I
    >> cannot figure out what they mean.

    > This should answer most, if not all, of your questions about top.
    >
    > http://www.idealwebtools.com/blog/top/

    Thanks, it did have everything except %st. I'm still looking for that but
    the link you posted covered the rest.

    Dennis
    --
    Dennis Golden
    Golden Consulting Services
    Change 'invalid' to 'com' to reply by email.

  4. Re: top command cup states

    Dennis Golden wrote:
    > On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 21:33:59 -0400, class_a wrote:
    >
    >> Dennis Golden wrote:
    >>> Can anyone please tell me where the cpu states for the top command are
    >>> documented? I have googled and searched the openSUSE web site without
    >>> getting a hint. On 10.2 there are three fields (%hi %si and %st) that I
    >>> cannot figure out what they mean.

    >> This should answer most, if not all, of your questions about top.
    >>
    >> http://www.idealwebtools.com/blog/top/

    > Thanks, it did have everything except %st. I'm still looking for that but
    > the link you posted covered the rest.

    You know what, you're right.... I hadn't noticed that!

    Anyway, "man vmstat" would suggest this....

    "st: Time stolen from a virtual machine. Prior to Linux 2.6.11, unknown."

  5. Re: top command cup states

    Dennis Golden wrote:

    > On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 21:33:59 -0400, class_a wrote:
    >
    >> Dennis Golden wrote:
    >>> Can anyone please tell me where the cpu states for the top command are
    >>> documented? I have googled and searched the openSUSE web site without
    >>> getting a hint. On 10.2 there are three fields (%hi %si and %st) that I
    >>> cannot figure out what they mean.

    >> This should answer most, if not all, of your questions about top.
    >>
    >> http://www.idealwebtools.com/blog/top/

    > Thanks, it did have everything except %st. I'm still looking for that but
    > the link you posted covered the rest.
    >
    > Dennis

    These are percentages of total CPU time.
    us: Time spent running non-kernel code. (user time, including nice
    time)
    sy: Time spent running kernel code. (system time)
    id: Time spent idle. Prior to Linux 2.5.41, this includes IO-wait
    time.
    wa: Time spent waiting for IO. Prior to Linux 2.5.41, included in
    idle.
    st: Time stolen from a virtual machine. Prior to Linux 2.6.11,
    unknown.

+ Reply to Thread