SUSE 10.1 hangs after "update if newer version available" with YAST - Suse

This is a discussion on SUSE 10.1 hangs after "update if newer version available" with YAST - Suse ; I have SUSE 10.1 running on old IBM T23 notebook with KDE. Once I've selected in Yast the "update if newer version available" option - for all packages. (now I understand this was not the best idea) In the Yast ...

  1. SUSE 10.1 hangs after "update if newer version available" with YAST

    I have SUSE 10.1 running on old IBM T23 notebook with KDE.
    Once I've selected in Yast the "update if newer version available"
    option - for all packages. (now I understand this was not the best
    idea)
    In the Yast "installation sources" I have a number of repositories,
    official, "guru", "packman" and the KDE repositories. So I start the
    update.
    After update Yast told me to reboot because the new kernel were
    installed.

    After reboot I see the following:

    1.
    Kernel 2.6.16.27-0.9-default
    (don't know the original kernel version - should be "standard" kernel
    of 10.1)

    2.
    >From time to time system hangs completely when I'm doing something

    (happens in Konqueror and in digiKam) - nothing helps, Ctrl-Alt-Del
    and other keys doesn't works, mouse pointer is frosen - only reboot
    helps. Nothing suspicious in /var/log/warn and /var/log/messages after
    reboot

    Questions:
    1.What is this? Some "bad" combinations of packages? Something else?
    Any idea to to fix this without to install everything again?

    2.If (1) doesn't works - what is the best method to return to "old and
    working" SUSE 10.1 I had before this update?
    (I'm not very experienced in linux system administration)

    thanks
    Dmitri

  2. Re: SUSE 10.1 hangs after "update if newer version available" with YAST

    On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 14:45:31 -0700, stranger.ffm wrote:

    > 2.If (1) doesn't works - what is the best method to return to "old and
    > working" SUSE 10.1 I had before this update? (I'm not very experienced
    > in linux system administration)

    Reinstall your backup.

    You don't have a backup !?!?!

    Listen with HD's as cheap as they are there is no excuse not to have a
    backup solution. These aren't the days when you had to buy a $800 DAT
    system. Buy a cold swap removable drive caddy and another HD, same make
    and size or at least the same size.

    Do that and you'll be wondering why the hell you waited so long to get on
    board.

    Email - rsgibson@verizon.borg
    Replace borg with net

  3. Re: SUSE 10.1 hangs after "update if newer version available" with YAST

    stranger.ffm@gmail.com wrote:

    > 2.If (1) doesn't works - what is the best method to return to "old and
    > working" SUSE 10.1 I had before this update?
    > (I'm not very experienced in linux system administration)

    try to get the kernel from the openSUSE 10.1 dvd first
    http://users.telenet.be/photo-memori...-downgrade.png

    or stop all repo's expect the dvd of openSUSE 10.1
    and then update again, should result in downgrade
    --
    EOS
    www.photo-memories.be

  4. Re: SUSE 10.1 hangs after "update if newer version available" with YAST

    EOS, that's a good idea - if YAST is able to install the new kernel -
    why not to use it to install the original kernel?
    I've thinked about booting from CD and executing YAST "System repair"
    or like this - but your idea looks better!

    > try to get the kernel from the openSUSE 10.1 dvd first
    > http://users.telenet.be/photo-memori...-downgrade.png
    >

    > or stop all repo's expect the dvd of openSUSE 10.1
    > and then update again, should result in downgrade
    > --
    > EOS

+ Reply to Thread