Sound Driver Problem - Suse

This is a discussion on Sound Driver Problem - Suse ; Running openSUSE 10.2 latest updates. Stating yesterday my sound no longer works. Only recent sound updates was alsasound several weeks ago. trying Amarok and Kaffine both say all sound drivers failed to initalize. Amarok says xine failed to initalize. Could ...

  1. Sound Driver Problem

    Running openSUSE 10.2 latest updates. Stating yesterday my sound no longer
    works. Only recent sound updates was alsasound several weeks ago. trying
    Amarok and Kaffine both say all sound drivers failed to initalize. Amarok
    says xine failed to initalize.

    Could not find stuff in Archive about this type problem of problem. Tried
    using repair function but did not fix.

    Any pointer or ideas where to look would be appreciated.

    --
    Russ

  2. Re: Sound Driver Problem

    Russ Fineman wrote:

    > Running openSUSE 10.2 latest updates. Stating yesterday my sound no longer
    > works. Only recent sound updates was alsasound several weeks ago. trying
    > Amarok and Kaffine both say all sound drivers failed to initalize. Amarok
    > says xine failed to initalize.
    >
    > Could not find stuff in Archive about this type problem of problem. Tried
    > using repair function but did not fix.
    >
    > Any pointer or ideas where to look would be appreciated.

    Additional information:
    Sound card is soundblaster SB live

    --
    Russ

  3. Re: Sound Driver Problem

    Russ Fineman wrote:

    > Russ Fineman wrote:
    >
    >> Running openSUSE 10.2 latest updates. Stating yesterday my sound no
    >> longer works. Only recent sound updates was alsasound several weeks ago.
    >> trying Amarok and Kaffine both say all sound drivers failed to initalize.
    >> Amarok says xine failed to initalize.
    >>
    >> Could not find stuff in Archive about this type problem of problem. Tried
    >> using repair function but did not fix.
    >>
    >> Any pointer or ideas where to look would be appreciated.
    >>

    > Additional information:
    > Sound card is soundblaster SB live

    Have you confirmed that the sound card hardware is still functioning?
    I've had sound fail and putting in a different sound card fixed the problem.
    Because sound, usb, LAN, modem, ps/2, etc. ports all connect to the outside
    world, they are prone to failure - more so when they are built into the
    mother board. Plugging the wrong device in, such as swapping mic and
    speaker plugs can cause problems.

    Usually, it is static that gets to them. If you have a carpet on the floor
    they are in - get it treated with anti-static spray (or get rid of it). An
    anti static mat is not sufficient if you have to walk across the carpet to
    get to the computer.

    Also, touch something metal (the larger the better) before you touch
    anything connected to the computer. If you have a bare metal direct to the
    computer chassis contact, also touch it first and don't be exposed to live
    power. Their are static discharge wrist straps that have a resistand to
    will keep you from getting a shock. The other end must be screwed to the
    case.

    Make sure the case is properly grounded by the power line - old 2 wire
    wiring is not sufficient - must have a properly grounded recepticle.

    John

  4. Re: Sound Driver Problem

    John Bowling wrote:

    > Russ Fineman wrote:
    >
    >> Russ Fineman wrote:
    >>
    >>> Running openSUSE 10.2 latest updates. Stating yesterday my sound no
    >>> longer works. Only recent sound updates was alsasound several weeks ago.
    >>> trying Amarok and Kaffine both say all sound drivers failed to
    >>> initalize. Amarok says xine failed to initalize.
    >>>
    >>> Could not find stuff in Archive about this type problem of problem.
    >>> Tried using repair function but did not fix.
    >>>
    >>> Any pointer or ideas where to look would be appreciated.
    >>>

    >> Additional information:
    >> Sound card is soundblaster SB live
    >>

    > Have you confirmed that the sound card hardware is still functioning?
    > I've had sound fail and putting in a different sound card fixed the
    > problem. Because sound, usb, LAN, modem, ps/2, etc. ports all connect to
    > the outside world, they are prone to failure - more so when they are built
    > into the
    > mother board. Plugging the wrong device in, such as swapping mic and
    > speaker plugs can cause problems.
    >
    > Usually, it is static that gets to them. If you have a carpet on the
    > floor
    > they are in - get it treated with anti-static spray (or get rid of it).
    > An anti static mat is not sufficient if you have to walk across the carpet
    > to get to the computer.
    >
    > Also, touch something metal (the larger the better) before you touch
    > anything connected to the computer. If you have a bare metal direct to
    > the computer chassis contact, also touch it first and don't be exposed to
    > live
    > power. Their are static discharge wrist straps that have a resistand to
    > will keep you from getting a shock. The other end must be screwed to the
    > case.
    >
    > Make sure the case is properly grounded by the power line - old 2 wire
    > wiring is not sufficient - must have a properly grounded recepticle.
    >
    > John

    Don't think its any of the above. It works fine from my Windows XP. I'm dual
    boot. Forgot to put the fact XP works. My system is on a UPS, well aware of
    static etc. Spent 43 years in various Field Service positions. It was
    working last night when I shutdown. Did experienced some weird sounds when
    it started this morning, then it worked for a while then quit. I tried XP
    as last resort, No updates since one for Alsa a few weeks ago. I did an
    update today on sound amorak thing that may help. It did not. I'm thinking
    of removing the sound software and reinstalling it. Rest of system appears
    to be working fine.

    Thanks for the response.

    If I find solution I'll post it.
    --
    Russ

  5. Re: Sound Driver Problem

    Russ Fineman wrote:
    > Running openSUSE 10.2 latest updates. Stating yesterday my sound no longer
    > works. Only recent sound updates was alsasound several weeks ago. trying
    > Amarok and Kaffine both say all sound drivers failed to initalize. Amarok
    > says xine failed to initalize.
    >
    > Could not find stuff in Archive about this type problem of problem. Tried
    > using repair function but did not fix.
    >
    > Any pointer or ideas where to look would be appreciated.

    openSUSE 10.2 was giving me intermittent sound problems until recently.
    Maybe the updates fixed my problem and created yours.

    Anyway, when the sound cut out logged in as root and typed: 'rcalsasound
    stop'. After next typing 'rcalsasound start' I heard the speakers click
    and my sound returned.

    John

  6. Re: Sound Driver Problem

    John Scudder wrote:

    > Russ Fineman wrote:
    >> Running openSUSE 10.2 latest updates. Stating yesterday my sound no
    >> longer works. Only recent sound updates was alsasound several weeks ago.
    >> trying Amarok and Kaffine both say all sound drivers failed to initalize.
    >> Amarok says xine failed to initalize.
    >>
    >> Could not find stuff in Archive about this type problem of problem. Tried
    >> using repair function but did not fix.
    >>
    >> Any pointer or ideas where to look would be appreciated.
    >>

    > openSUSE 10.2 was giving me intermittent sound problems until recently.
    > Maybe the updates fixed my problem and created yours.
    >
    > Anyway, when the sound cut out logged in as root and typed: 'rcalsasound
    > stop'. After next typing 'rcalsasound start' I heard the speakers click
    > and my sound returned.
    >
    > John

    Thanks John. But the stop command gives me the following:
    Linuxruss:/home/russbucket # rcalsasound stop
    /usr/sbin/alsactl: save_state:1253: No soundcards found...
    Shutting down sound driver done
    Yesterday the sound card worked with Win XP.

    Linuxruss:/home/russbucket # rcalsasound stop
    /usr/sbin/alsactl: save_state:1253: No soundcards found...
    Shutting down sound driver done
    Yast Contol center show the following sound card:
    SBLive! 5.1 Digital Model SB0220
    also shows Configured as sound card number 0
    Driver snd-emu10k1

    I got the following errors in my boot.msg file also in dmesg:
    hdb: status error: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest }
    ide: failed opcode was: unknown
    hdb: drive not ready for command
    robe -v $MODPROBE_OPTS $MODALIAS: no version for "struct_module" found:
    kernel tainted.
    robe -v $MODPROBE_OPTS $MODALIAS: no version magic, tainting kernel.
    robe -v $MODPROBE_OPTS $MODALIAS: module license 'unspecified' taints
    kernel.
    robe -v $MODPROBE_OPTS $MODALIAS: Unknown symbol acpi_run_oshp
    robe -v $MODPROBE_OPTS $MODALIAS: Unknown symbol pci_hp_change_slot_info
    robe -v $MODPROBE_OPTS $MODALIAS: Unknown symbol pci_hp_register
    robe -v $MODPROBE_OPTS $MODALIAS: Unknown symbol device_create_file
    robe -v $MODPROBE_OPTS $MODALIAS: Unknown symbol flush_workqueue
    robe -v $MODPROBE_OPTS $MODALIAS: Unknown symbol destroy_workqueue
    robe -v $MODPROBE_OPTS $MODALIAS: Unknown symbol __create_workqueue
    robe -v $MODPROBE_OPTS $MODALIAS: Unknown symbol pci_hp_deregister
    robe -v $MODPROBE_OPTS $MODALIAS: Unknown symbol queue_work
    robe -v $MODPROBE_OPTS $MODALIAS: Unknown symbol device_remove_file
    robe -v $MODPROBE_OPTS $MODALIAS: Unknown symbol
    acpi_get_hp_params_from_firmware
    usb 2-2: USB disconnect, address 2
    natsemi dp8381x driver, version 2.0, June 27, 2006
    originally by Donald Becker
    http://www.scyld.com/network/natsemi.html
    2.4.x kernel port by Jeff Garzik, Tjeerd Mulder
    snd_ac97_codec: Unknown symbol snd_interval_refine
    snd_ac97_codec: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_hw_rule_add
    snd_emu10k1: Unknown symbol snd_rawmidi_receive
    snd_emu10k1: Unknown symbol snd_rawmidi_transmit
    snd_emu10k1: Unknown symbol snd_ac97_write_cache
    snd_emu10k1: Unknown symbol snd_ac97_resume
    snd_emu10k1: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_new
    snd_emu10k1: Unknown symbol snd_seq_device_new
    snd_emu10k1: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_lib_preallocate_pages_for_all
    snd_emu10k1: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_hw_constraint_minmax
    snd_emu10k1: Unknown symbol snd_ac97_mixer
    snd_emu10k1: Unknown symbol snd_ac97_bus
    snd_emu10k1: Unknown symbol snd_dma_free_pages
    snd_emu10k1: Unknown symbol snd_ac97_suspend
    snd_emu10k1: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_lib_malloc_pages
    snd_emu10k1: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_lib_ioctl
    snd_emu10k1: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_lib_free_pages
    snd_emu10k1: Unknown symbol snd_hwdep_new
    snd_emu10k1: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_set_ops
    snd_emu10k1: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_hw_constraint_list
    snd_emu10k1: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_sgbuf_ops_page
    snd_emu10k1: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_suspend_all
    snd_emu10k1: Unknown symbol snd_rawmidi_new
    snd_emu10k1: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_hw_constraint_integer
    snd_emu10k1: Unknown symbol snd_rawmidi_set_ops
    snd_emu10k1: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_lib_preallocate_pages
    snd_emu10k1: Unknown symbol snd_dma_alloc_pages
    snd_emu10k1: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_period_elapsed
    snd_emu10k1: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_format_width
    hda: CHECK for good STATUS
    PCI: Found IRQ 5 for device 0000:00:11.0
    PCI: Sharing IRQ 5 with 0000:00:14.1
    natsemi eth0: NatSemi DP8381[56] at 0xe7000000 (0000:00:11.0),
    00:09:5b:0a:20:a3, IRQ 5, port TP.
    usb 4-3: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 2
    usb 4-3: new device found, idVendor=0924, idProduct=3d57
    usb 4-3: new device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
    usb 4-3: Product: Phaser 6120
    usb 4-3: Manufacturer: XEROX
    usb 4-3: SerialNumber: YGG213453
    hdc: ATAPI 48X DVD-ROM DVD-R CD-R/RW drive, 2048kB Cache
    Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.20
    hdd: ATAPI 52X CD-ROM CD-R/RW drive, 2048kB Cache, UDMA(33)
    NVRM: loading NVIDIA Linux x86 Kernel Module 1.0-9631 Thu Nov 9 17:38:10
    PST 2006
    drivers/usb/class/usblp.c: usblp0: USB Bidirectional printer dev 2 if 0 alt
    0 proto 2 vid 0x0924 pid 0x3D57
    usbcore: registered new driver usblp
    drivers/usb/class/usblp.c: v0.13: USB Printer Device Class driver
    hdc: Speed warnings UDMA 3/4/5 is not functional.
    hdd: CHECK for good STATUS
    Adding 2104472k swap on /dev/hdb1. Priority:-1 extents:1 across:2104472k
    device-mapper: ioctl: 4.7.0-ioctl (2006-06-24) initialised:
    dm-devel@redhat.com
    loop: loaded (max 8 devices)
    kjournald starting. Commit interval 5 seconds
    EXT3 FS on hdb6, internal journal
[...]
    NET: Registered protocol family 10
    lo: Disabled Privacy Extensions
    IPv6 over IPv4 tunneling driver
    ip6_tables: (C) 2000-2006 Netfilter Core Team
    ip_tables: (C) 2000-2006 Netfilter Core Team
    Netfilter messages via NETLINK v0.30.
    ip_conntrack version 2.4 (6143 buckets, 49144 max) - 228 bytes per conntrack
    powernow: This module only works with AMD K7 CPUs
    eth0: DSPCFG accepted after 0 usec.
    eth0: link up.
    eth0: Setting full-duplex based on negotiated link capability.
    NET: Registered protocol family 17
    audit(1183387442.923:2): audit_pid=3369 old=0 by auid=4294967295
    snd_pcm_oss: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_lib_read
    snd_pcm_oss: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_hw_param_first
    snd_pcm_oss: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_kernel_ioctl
    snd_pcm_oss: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_format_unsigned
    snd_pcm_oss: Unknown symbol _snd_pcm_hw_params_any
    snd_pcm_oss: Unknown symbol snd_interval_refine
    snd_pcm_oss: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_format_physical_width
    snd_pcm_oss: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_format_silence_64
    snd_pcm_oss: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_open_substream
    snd_pcm_oss: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_lib_readv
    snd_pcm_oss: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_lib_writev
    snd_pcm_oss: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_format_linear
    snd_pcm_oss: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_mmap_data
    snd_pcm_oss: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_hw_param_last
    snd_pcm_oss: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_hw_param_value
    snd_pcm_oss: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_build_linear_format
    snd_pcm_oss: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_format_signed
    snd_pcm_oss: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_link_rwlock
    snd_pcm_oss: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_hw_refine
    snd_pcm_oss: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_format_big_endian
    snd_pcm_oss: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_notify
    snd_pcm_oss: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_release_substream
    snd_pcm_oss: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_lib_write
    snd_pcm_oss: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_format_set_silence
    snd_pcm_oss: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_format_width
    I'm not sure what they mean but I am begining to wonder if I don't have a
    more serious problem??

    Again any additional ideas would be appreciated. Thanks again for the
    response.
    --
    Russ

  7. Re: Sound Driver Problem

    Russ Fineman wrote:

    > Running openSUSE 10.2 latest updates. Stating yesterday my sound no longer
    > works. Only recent sound updates was alsasound several weeks ago. trying
    > Amarok and Kaffine both say all sound drivers failed to initalize. Amarok
    > says xine failed to initalize.
    >
    > Could not find stuff in Archive about this type problem of problem. Tried
    > using repair function but did not fix.
    >
    > Any pointer or ideas where to look would be appreciated.

    Think I found why sound is not working.
    result of modeprobe command:
    Linuxruss:/home/russbucket # modprobe snd-emu10k1
    WARNING: Could not
    open '/lib/modules/2.6.18.8-0.3-default/kernel/sound/core/snd-hwdep.ko':
    File too large
    WARNING: Could not
    open '/lib/modules/2.6.18.8-0.3-default/kernel/sound/core/snd-page-alloc.ko':
    File too large
    WARNING: Could not
    open '/lib/modules/2.6.18.8-0.3-default/kernel/sound/core/seq/snd-seq-device.ko':
    File too large
    WARNING: Could not
    open '/lib/modules/2.6.18.8-0.3-default/kernel/sound/core/snd-pcm.ko': File
    too large
    WARNING: Error inserting snd_ac97_codec
    (/lib/modules/2.6.18.8-0.3-default/kernel/sound/pci/ac97/snd-ac97-codec.ko):
    Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
    WARNING: Could not
    open '/lib/modules/2.6.18.8-0.3-default/kernel/sound/core/snd-rawmidi.ko':
    File too large
    FATAL: Error inserting snd_emu10k1
    (/lib/modules/2.6.18.8-0.3-default/kernel/sound/pci/emu10k1/snd-emu10k1.ko):
    Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)

    Looking at /lib/modules looks like modules are corrupted: (No size).
    Linuxruss:/lib/modules/2.6.18.8-0.3-default/kernel/sound/core # ls -l
    total 320
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2007-05-04 08:40 oss
    drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 2007-05-04 08:40 seq
    -rw-r--r-- 17956 root root 5548153265943757844 2007-07-01 09:14 snd-hwdep.ko
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 74424 2007-04-17 07:00 snd.ko
    -rw-r--r-- 17956 root root 5548153265943758592 2007-07-01 09:14
    snd-page-alloc.ko
    -rw-r--r-- 17956 root root 5548153265943780296 2007-07-01 09:14 snd-pcm.ko
    -rw-r--r-- 17956 root root 5548153265943776192 2007-07-01 09:14
    snd-rawmidi.ko
    -rw-r--r-- 17956 root root 5548153265943751256 2007-06-29 20:49
    snd-rtctimer.ko
    -rw-r--r-- 1056 root root 34764 2007-07-01 09:14 snd-timer.ko
    Linuxruss:/lib/modules/2.6.18.8-0.3-default/kernel/sound/core #

    How can I restore kernel modules?

    Thanks again
    --
    Russ

  8. Re: Sound Driver Problem

    Russ Fineman writes:

    >Russ Fineman wrote:

    >> Running openSUSE 10.2 latest updates. Stating yesterday my sound no longer
    >> works. Only recent sound updates was alsasound several weeks ago. trying
    >> Amarok and Kaffine both say all sound drivers failed to initalize. Amarok
    >> says xine failed to initalize.
    >>
    >> Could not find stuff in Archive about this type problem of problem. Tried
    >> using repair function but did not fix.
    >>
    >> Any pointer or ideas where to look would be appreciated.
    >>

    >Think I found why sound is not working.
    >result of modeprobe command:
    >Linuxruss:/home/russbucket # modprobe snd-emu10k1
    >WARNING: Could not
    >open '/lib/modules/2.6.18.8-0.3-default/kernel/sound/core/snd-hwdep.ko':
    >File too large

    >Looking at /lib/modules looks like modules are corrupted: (No size).
    >Linuxruss:/lib/modules/2.6.18.8-0.3-default/kernel/sound/core # ls -l
    >total 320
    >drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2007-05-04 08:40 oss
    >drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 2007-05-04 08:40 seq
    >-rw-r--r-- 17956 root root 5548153265943757844 2007-07-01 09:14 snd-hwdep.ko

    Well, I would certainly agree that that is too large. What I suspect is
    that your file system is corrupted not that the modules are. Believe me you
    do not have room for 554815326594375784 bytes on your disk.

    Ie, you need to at minimum run fsck on that filesystem, or replace your
    hard disk.

    >How can I restore kernel modules?

  9. Re: Sound Driver Problem

    Unruh wrote:

    > Russ Fineman writes:
    >
    >>Russ Fineman wrote:

    >>> Running openSUSE 10.2 latest updates. Stating yesterday my sound no
    >>> longer works. Only recent sound updates was alsasound several weeks ago.
    >>> trying Amarok and Kaffine both say all sound drivers failed to
    >>> initalize. Amarok says xine failed to initalize.
    >>>
    >>> Could not find stuff in Archive about this type problem of problem.
    >>> Tried using repair function but did not fix.
    >>>
    >>> Any pointer or ideas where to look would be appreciated.
    >>>

    >>Think I found why sound is not working.
    >>result of modeprobe command:
    >>Linuxruss:/home/russbucket # modprobe snd-emu10k1
    >>WARNING: Could not
    >>open '/lib/modules/2.6.18.8-0.3-default/kernel/sound/core/snd-hwdep.ko':
    >>File too large

    >>Looking at /lib/modules looks like modules are corrupted: (No size).
    >>Linuxruss:/lib/modules/2.6.18.8-0.3-default/kernel/sound/core # ls -l
    >>total 320
    >>drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2007-05-04 08:40 oss
    >>drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 2007-05-04 08:40 seq
    >>-rw-r--r-- 17956 root root 5548153265943757844 2007-07-01 09:14
    >>snd-hwdep.ko

    > Well, I would certainly agree that that is too large. What I suspect is
    > that your file system is corrupted not that the modules are. Believe me
    > you do not have room for 554815326594375784 bytes on your disk.
    >
    > Ie, you need to at minimum run fsck on that filesystem, or replace your
    > hard disk.
    >

    >>How can I restore kernel modules?

    Yes I tried fsck from the repair option but it looked like its looping. I
    must have click repair thirty times, each time back to the same message.
    Hopes it not the hard disk its only six months old. Think I'll try fsck
    from command line. It means a major reinstall if hard disk is bad, thats
    last resort since I'm in the process or looking for a new system now.

    Thanks for your response.
    --
    Russ

  10. Re: Sound Driver Problem

    Russ Fineman wrote:

    > Running openSUSE 10.2 latest updates. Stating yesterday my sound no longer
    > works. Only recent sound updates was alsasound several weeks ago. trying
    > Amarok and Kaffine both say all sound drivers failed to initalize. Amarok
    > says xine failed to initalize.
    >
    > Could not find stuff in Archive about this type problem of problem. Tried
    > using repair function but did not fix.
    >
    > Any pointer or ideas where to look would be appreciated.

    Thanks to everyone who replied to this. Problem was corrupt sound modules.
    Show size of 5548153265943757844. Had to reinstall OS to clear up. Repair
    did not work. Every thing now working.

    Thanks again.