Lost partions table information - Suse

This is a discussion on Lost partions table information - Suse ; I'm still kicking myself but by mistake when I was in Xp I delete partitions on my Suse disk - I ment to delete partion on another disk. Is ther a tool some where that would alow me to recover ...

  1. Lost partions table information

    I'm still kicking myself but by mistake when I was in Xp I delete
    partitions on my Suse disk - I ment to delete partion on another disk.
    Is ther a tool some where that would alow me to recover that
    information ?

    --
    Thanks - Tom

  2. Re: Lost partions table information

    On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 19:31:47 +0000, One 6699 wrote:

    > I'm still kicking myself but by mistake when I was in Xp I delete
    > partitions on my Suse disk - I ment to delete partion on another disk.
    > Is ther a tool some where that would alow me to recover that
    > information ?

    You can do it with fdisk, from a live CD, if you know where the partitions
    were. It's probably a bit late, for you, at this point, but one of the
    first things I do after partitioning a hard drive is run;

    # fdisk -l > /home/me/partitions.txt

    I then print partitions.txt, and put it in a three ring binder, with other
    things I might need, but won't otherwise have available until I can boot
    my machine normally again. I've had partition tables get corrupted, but
    never failed to repair the damage with fdisk.

    --
    imotgm
    "Lost? Lost? I've never been lost... Been a tad confused for a

  3. Re: Lost partions table information

    On Jul 1, 9:31 pm, One 6699 wrote:
    > I'm still kicking myself but by mistake when I was in Xp I delete
    > partitions on my Suse disk - I ment to delete partion on another disk.
    > Is ther a tool some where that would alow me to recover that
    > information ?
    >
    > --
    > Thanks - Tom

    gpart

    I was in a similar situation years ago (no idea what I did to get in
    that mess) and gpart helped me fix it. It is on the CDs/DVD.

  4. Re: Lost partions table information

    On 2007-07-02 16:17:17 +0100, Vlad_Inhaler said:

    > On Jul 1, 9:31 pm, One 6699 wrote:
    >> I'm still kicking myself but by mistake when I was in Xp I delete
    >> partitions on my Suse disk - I ment to delete partion on another disk.
    >> Is ther a tool some where that would alow me to recover that
    >> information ?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Thanks - Tom

    > gpart
    >
    > I was in a similar situation years ago (no idea what I did to get in
    > that mess) and gpart helped me fix it. It is on the CDs/DVD.

    Thanks guys I'll try tomorrow.

    --
    Thanks - Tom

  5. Re: Lost partions table information

    imotgm wrote:
    > On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 19:31:47 +0000, One 6699 wrote:
    >
    >> I'm still kicking myself but by mistake when I was in Xp I delete
    >> partitions on my Suse disk - I ment to delete partion on another disk.
    >> Is ther a tool some where that would alow me to recover that
    >> information ?

    > You can do it with fdisk, from a live CD, if you know where the partitions
    > were. It's probably a bit late, for you, at this point, but one of the
    > first things I do after partitioning a hard drive is run;
    >
    > # fdisk -l > /home/me/partitions.txt
    >
    > I then print partitions.txt, and put it in a three ring binder, with other
    > things I might need, but won't otherwise have available until I can boot
    > my machine normally again. I've had partition tables get corrupted, but
    > never failed to repair the damage with fdisk.

    Occasionally there are a few great ideas on here for some of us relative
    newbies, and this is one! I just ran that command and saved the file to
    a flash drive that I can read from any computer should the worst happen!
    I never thought of it before (oblivious newbie), but it makes sense to
    have that information available!

  6. Re: Lost partions table information

    On 2007-07-02 16:17:17 +0100, Vlad_Inhaler said:

    > On Jul 1, 9:31 pm, One 6699 wrote:
    >> I'm still kicking myself but by mistake when I was in Xp I delete
    >> partitions on my Suse disk - I ment to delete partion on another disk.
    >> Is ther a tool some where that would alow me to recover that
    >> information ?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Thanks - Tom

    > gpart
    >
    > I was in a similar situation years ago (no idea what I did to get in
    > that mess) and gpart helped me fix it. It is on the CDs/DVD.

    I found a little utility called testdisk. It's specially aimed at
    recovery of lost/deleted partitions. You need another PC to run it and
    host the disk with lost/deleted partitions. It works very well.

    Tom

    --
    Thanks - Tom

+ Reply to Thread