Wish to upgrade kernel - no wish to actually do a compile - wish for rpm's - Suse

This is a discussion on Wish to upgrade kernel - no wish to actually do a compile - wish for rpm's - Suse ; Ok I admit that I'm afeared of doing a kernel compile but wish to upgrade from 2.18.8 (Suse 10.2 x64). I've tried the 2.2.22 kernels in the Suse download service using the factory/head rpms multiple times and when rebooting after ...

  1. Wish to upgrade kernel - no wish to actually do a compile - wish for rpm's

    Ok I admit that I'm afeared of doing a kernel compile but wish to upgrade
    from 2.18.8 (Suse 10.2 x64). I've tried the 2.2.22 kernels in the Suse
    download service using the factory/head rpms multiple times and when
    rebooting after the install my machine hangs during boot at the irqbalance
    command or the command following.

    Q's
    1) why can't I just upgrade using the rpm's from factory?
    2) why doesn't Suse (or some 3rd party) provide rpm's newer than 2.6.18
    3) why are the factories now being compiled with gcc 4.2 instead of 4.1?
    This caused issues with VMware networking and Nvidia
    4) There are no src.rpm for the kernel just nosrc.rpm and spm. What is
    spm? What is nosrc missing?

    And lasty why do I wish to upgrade?

    --
    OpenSuse 10.2 x64, KDE 3.5, Opera 9.x weekly

  2. Re: Wish to upgrade kernel - no wish to actually do a compile - wish for rpm's

    google01013 wrote:
    > Ok I admit that I'm afeared of doing a kernel compile but wish to upgrade
    > from 2.18.8 (Suse 10.2 x64). I've tried the 2.2.22 kernels in the Suse
    > download service using the factory/head rpms multiple times and when
    > rebooting after the install my machine hangs during boot at the irqbalance
    > command or the command following.

    And you are sure this will be swolved by using another kernel?

    > Q's
    > 1) why can't I just upgrade using the rpm's from factory?

    Depends on what errors you get.

    > 2) why doesn't Suse (or some 3rd party) provide rpm's newer than 2.6.18

    openSUSE: Because they do not do updates, only security patches. For
    newer versions you need to wait till that version comes out

    For others:Because people who want to run the latest version will want
    to compile it themselves and will have so much specific wiches that it
    won't make sit worthwhile.

    > 3) why are the factories now being compiled with gcc 4.2 instead of 4.1?

    Because it is a newer version and factory is all about using the latest
    version available, not ablout stability

    > This caused issues with VMware networking and Nvidia

    And your problem with that is? Factory is intended to have problems.

    > 4) There are no src.rpm for the kernel just nosrc.rpm and spm. What is
    > spm? What is nosrc missing?

    No idea. Look at them or do a search.

    > And lasty why do I wish to upgrade?

    So you can anoy me by telling you did, because you think I care. :-D

    houghi
    --
    How do you ask a man to be the last man to die in Iraq?
    How do you ask a man to be the last man to die for a mistake?

+ Reply to Thread