networking 10.2 - Suse

This is a discussion on networking 10.2 - Suse ; I'm trying to network 10.2 and for the life of me I don't see where or how to share folders and directories. I've gone into pretty much every directory that has the word network in it and I can't a: ...

  1. networking 10.2

    I'm trying to network 10.2 and for the life of me I don't see where or how
    to share folders and directories. I've gone into pretty much every
    directory that has the word network in it and I can't a: change workgroups
    b: create shares or c: get the box to be visible on the network. I have
    Ubuntu Feisty on the box that I'm trying to share with. I don't know if I'm
    missing something or skipping a step but I'm stumbling around in the dark
    with this and need a little help getting the 2 to see each other. I have it
    set up default using "windows network" as the workgroup and "mshome" as the
    domain. 10.2 does not see any of it so could anyone with knowledge in this
    area give me some pointers or help in general. It's the principle of the
    thing now. I know it can be done and I want to do it.

    Thanks

  2. Re: networking 10.2

    mbjj wrote:

    > I'm trying to network 10.2 and for the life of me I don't see where or how
    > to share folders and directories. I've gone into pretty much every
    > directory that has the word network in it and I can't a: change workgroups
    > b: create shares or c: get the box to be visible on the network. *I have
    > Ubuntu Feisty on the box that I'm trying to share with. I don't know if
    > I'm missing something or skipping a step but I'm stumbling around in the
    > dark with this and need a little help getting the 2 to see each other. I
    > have it set up default using "windows network" as the workgroup and
    > "mshome" as the domain. 10.2 does not see any of it so could anyone with
    > knowledge in this area give me some pointers or help in general. It's the
    > principle of the thing now. I know it can be done and I want to do it.

    yast - networkservices - nfs-server or nfs-client (or samba)
    --
    EOS
    www.photo-memories.be

  3. Re: networking 10.2

    EOS wrote:

    >> I'm trying to network 10.2 and for the life of me I don't see where or
    >> how to share folders and directories. I've gone into pretty much every
    >> directory that has the word network in it and I can't a: change
    >> workgroups b: create shares or c: get the box to be visible on the
    >> network. *I have Ubuntu Feisty on the box that I'm trying to share with.
    >> I don't know if I'm missing something or skipping a step but I'm
    >> stumbling around in the dark with this and need a little help getting the
    >> 2 to see each other. I have it set up default using "windows network" as
    >> the workgroup and "mshome" as the domain. 10.2 does not see any of it so
    >> could anyone with knowledge in this area give me some pointers or help in
    >> general. It's the principle of the thing now. I know it can be done and I
    >> want to do it.

    > yast - networkservices *- nfs-server or nfs-client (or samba)

    on ubuntu you have setup samba?
    then filebrowser --> smb://ip-adress/sharename
    --
    EOS
    www.photo-memories.be
    Running KDE 3.5.7 / openSUSE 10.2

  4. Re: networking 10.2

    EOS wrote:

    > EOS wrote:
    >
    >>> I'm trying to network 10.2 and for the life of me I don't see where or
    >>> how to share folders and directories. I've gone into pretty much every
    >>> directory that has the word network in it and I can't a: change
    >>> workgroups b: create shares or c: get the box to be visible on the
    >>> network. *I have Ubuntu Feisty on the box that I'm trying to share with.
    >>> I don't know if I'm missing something or skipping a step but I'm
    >>> stumbling around in the dark with this and need a little help getting
    >>> the 2 to see each other. I have it set up default using "windows
    >>> network" as the workgroup and "mshome" as the domain. 10.2 does not see
    >>> any of it so could anyone with knowledge in this area give me some
    >>> pointers or help in general. It's the principle of the thing now. I know
    >>> it can be done and I want to do it.

    >> yast - networkservices *- nfs-server or nfs-client (or samba)

    > on ubuntu you have setup samba?
    > then filebrowser --> smb://ip-adress/sharename

    Ubuntu isn't where the problem is. In fact it's amazingly simple to set up.
    Just enter a path to the directory and you are off and running. 10.2 is
    where I'm running into the roadblock. I've been in network services with
    Yast and haven't been able to get it see anything. I will try here again in
    a minute.

  5. Re: networking 10.2

    EOS wrote:

    > mbjj wrote:
    >
    >> I'm trying to network 10.2 and for the life of me I don't see where or
    >> how to share folders and directories. I've gone into pretty much every
    >> directory that has the word network in it and I can't a: change
    >> workgroups b: create shares or c: get the box to be visible on the
    >> network. *I have Ubuntu Feisty on the box that I'm trying to share with.
    >> I don't know if I'm missing something or skipping a step but I'm
    >> stumbling around in the dark with this and need a little help getting the
    >> 2 to see each other. I have it set up default using "windows network" as
    >> the workgroup and "mshome" as the domain. 10.2 does not see any of it so
    >> could anyone with knowledge in this area give me some pointers or help in
    >> general. It's the principle of the thing now. I know it can be done and I
    >> want to do it.

    > yast - networkservices - nfs-server or nfs-client (or samba)

    Making progress. I have now set it up to be in the same workgroup and domain
    as Ubuntu. In fact it can see the other box. When I try to open the folders
    it tells me "it can't display the contents of the network machine" Even
    though I opened firewall ports it won't or can't open the directories on
    this box. Is there a setting I need to change allow my shared folders to be
    seen on that machine? Also, when I open the network in filesystems on this
    box it doesn't see either one. Where to go from here?

  6. Re: networking 10.2

    On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 13:52:20 GMT, mbjj wrote:

    >I'm trying to network 10.2 and for the life of me I don't see where or how
    >to share folders and directories. I've gone into pretty much every
    >directory that has the word network in it and I can't a: change workgroups
    >b: create shares or c: get the box to be visible on the network. I have
    >Ubuntu Feisty on the box that I'm trying to share with. I don't know if I'm
    >missing something or skipping a step but I'm stumbling around in the dark
    >with this and need a little help getting the 2 to see each other. I have it
    >set up default using "windows network" as the workgroup and "mshome" as the
    >domain. 10.2 does not see any of it so could anyone with knowledge in this
    >area give me some pointers or help in general. It's the principle of the
    >thing now. I know it can be done and I want to do it.

    Try hand editing the configuration files .. The samba configuration file is
    smb.conf. It is heavily annotated, and not difficult to setup, IMO. Some
    samba packages ship with a doc that shows how to setup a very simple,
    bare-bones server. I found it invaluable in walking me through the steps.

    However, the default file server protocol between two Linux PCs is NFS, not
    Samba. Be sure the portmap daemon is running on your system, and the NFS
    server package is installed and running. (it isn't by default) You'll need
    to edit /etc/hosts, /etc/hosts.allow, and /etc/exports. There is help in
    the man pages for each of these.

+ Reply to Thread